Are ships sailing at full capacity?

kywildcatfanone

There were 1,783 passengers on our recent Enchanted Princess cruise (Dec 10), per the captain. He also said there were 1,335 crew members. The first three Royal Class ships (Royal, Regal, Majestic) can hold 3,560 if every single pull out and pull down bed is occupied. The next three Royal Class ships (Sky, Enchanted, Discovery) have a capacity of of 3,660. There were no reductions in theater shows, live music, or daily activities in the Patter. One of the three main dining rooms was closed and half of the buffet was also not being used. All other restaurants and bars were fully operational. We had excellent service throughout the cruise and the staff was always smiling and willing to offer assistance. A great cruise!

We sailed on a very quiet MSC trip in November and it was lovely, great service. I am less worried about missing ports on our Mexican Riviera cruise January 15 because we really just want to go someplace to soak up the sun. So if it means private islands and floating around, i'm up for it! There IS a store in the mall in Mazatlan that i would like to go to, so i do hope we dock there, but PV and Cabo, meh. 

On 12/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Scotto97 said:

We are also on your cruise and feel the same way about testing Positive on Tuesday while in perfect health and no symptoms. (Triple vaxed also) We almost decided not to start packing until we passed the test.

I noticed very few rooms are available for our cruise. but unsure whether that means it will be a full ship, or whether Princess just doesn't want to sell any more rooms and many are being keep empty on purpose.

Where are you getting the covid test at within 48 hours of sailing and getting results before you fly?  We fly the night before our cruise.  We've been told it takes 72 hours for results.

Laura

3 hours ago, oratheeexplorer said:

Where are you getting the covid test at within 48 hours of sailing and getting results before you fly?  We fly the night before our cruise.  We've been told it takes 72 hours for results.

Laura

The antigen tests take 15 minutes. There are also quick PCR tests available.

When you are quoted 72 hours it is the PCR test that has to be sent to a lab.

Note that the test must be taken no earlier than 2 days before the day of embarkation, not the stricter 48 hours before sailing. So if, for example, your ship sails at 4 PM on a Sunday, the test can be taken anytime starting just after mid-night on Friday.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Pal said:

We just got off an 8 day on the Regal Princess and had 1,913 passengers.

It was wonderful to not be on a packed ship.

I'm already starting to look for our next cruise!

Glad you had a great cruise!

On 12/29/2021 at 10:18 PM, oratheeexplorer said:

Laura

As stated - it is 2 days before. Look for a rapid test. Walgreens has an ID NOW test.

I had good luck with Nomi Health drive throughs. I just tested today also. I don't know if they have them in your area.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, kywildcatfanone said:

Can TA's look up current booking capacity of future sailings?

Don’t know that this or a mock booking works right now. Due to capacity controls it seems blocks of cabins are made unavailable. At least that’s how it was on our recent Celebrity cruises. If you did a mock booking you would have thought many more cabins were booked than actually were. 

16 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

On our current Majestic cruise, we have 2,035 passengers.  We are at 64% capacity.

That sounds like a nice percentage. Plenty of room to move around without the crowds. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coral said:

As stated - it is 2 days before. Look for a rapid test. Walgreens has an ID NOW test.

We did the ID NOW test with our local Walgreens yesterday morning at 10 am.  The employee proctoring the test said "Results can take up to 24 hours but you should get them in a few hours."  They were in our email by 10:40 am.  Friends who did the same process a month ago had their results within an hour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It would be nice to know how full a sailing is on an updated basis during these odd times.  I wish the cruise lines would publish daily booking numbers.

Likely good reasons not to do so ... use your imagination why cruiselines are not doing so.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

We did the ID NOW test with our local Walgreens yesterday morning at 10 am.  The employee proctoring the test said "Results can take up to 24 hours but you should get them in a few hours."  They were in our email by 10:40 am.  Friends who did the same process a month ago had their results within an hour.

It is a 20 minute test.

I know several in my area who have done this test. The results are all over the board. My first time, I called and got the results after 90 minutes but they never sent the results until I called the lab the next day. Other people have gotten them in 20 minutes. They told me this last time after my 10 am appt that I should have the results by 1, they showed up at 3.

I now consider Walgreens my last resort because they are very inconsistent. Though I have always gotten my results in 24 hours, even if I had to be pro-active about it. I have a local place that seems to get results in 20 minutes (Nomi Health - they are elsewhere as my friend in Utah used them also).

55 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are hoping that this virus disappear this New Year 

Yes, we can all hope so.

Last year I saw a sign that said 2020 had a virus. Let us uninstall it. So this is unfortunately not a new thought.

We sailed on Carbbean Princess on 11/28 and she had 1400 on board, we sailed again on her for the Christmas cruise and we had 1500 on board. No issues at all, eveyone was masked and the crew was just fantastic. With Omicron now with us, we will hold off though there are some great deals for January sailings, you can go on RCI for 273 bucks for a 7 day cruise out of Tampa. Caribbean Princess has sailings for 349.00.

• Like 1