Covid on carnival freedom

Stryker50

We returned Dec. 18th on the freedom. The 19th both felt ill, 20th tested positive. I have seen were others reported the same. Freedom went right back out and guess what covid and canceled itineraries. Unconfirmed that Capt. was replaced on Bonaire. Also cruise director unseen since sunday. This is so far unproven. I just think it very unwise to load the ship up and send it out again. No way that ship is being cleaned enough to prevent more cases. Hey that's just my opinion. I wonder if those boarding yesterday were told and given any options.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cleaning does little to stop the spread. That's not how its spread. The new variant is very contagious. If people dont want to take the risk it's their decision. If people dont know it's out there they can turn on their tvs. The cruise lines have protocols for isolation set up. If people dont like the protocols then cancel. 

It is a risk to cruise right now. I'm not cancelling for jan 30th, but I'm worried to get it first leg, but that's my worry, not being able to stay on the ship, not that I'll get it. I'm double vaxxed and boosted. I want it to be my choice to cruise not people on message boards. One more week of high capacity cruisers. Will be glad when it's over. 

Sorry you were one of the ones who got sick. People should be aware of the risk. Island time guy came home and says they are isolating, that they are one of the few in their group not positive. 1 out of 20 in the uk got it per the news. It's a risk. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Cleaning does little to stop the spread. That's not how its spread. The new variant is very contagious. If people dont want to take the risk it's their decision. If people dont know it's out there they can turn on their tvs. The cruise lines have protocols for isolation set up. If people dont like the protocols then cancel. 

It is a risk to cruise right now. I'm not cancelling for jan 30th, but I'm worried to get it first leg, but that's my worry, not being able to stay on the ship, not that I'll get it. I'm double vaxxed and boosted. I want it to be my choice to cruise not people on message boards. One more week of high capacity cruisers. Will be glad when it's over. 

Sorry you were one of the ones who got sick. People should be aware of the risk. Island time guy came home and says they are isolating, that they are one of the few in their group not positive. 1 out of 20 in the uk got it per the news. It's a risk. 

Being fully vaccinated with booster does not prevent this new strain. Yes, you might have milder symptoms but it does not prevent it as it is very contagious.  

• Like 4

We just got off yesterday. My wife tested positive onboard. The cruise director was indeed replaced in Curaçao. It was very clear covid was a major problem on this cruise. It was so disappointing. And they definitely left me feeling like you are better off not testing, which shouldn't be the case. 

• Like 2

I am unsure why people are surprised to hear about breakouts on a cruise ship.  They are everywhere.  It is a CHOICE we make when we decide to take our lives back.  Sending the ship back out has zero to do with anything.  The infected are off, it does transmit on surfaces.  We chose to live our lives, knowing the risks involved.  If other choose not to, because of medical reasons or otherwise, all is good.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stryker50 said:

We returned Dec. 18th on the freedom. The 19th both felt ill, 20th tested positive. I have seen were others reported the same. Freedom went right back out and guess what covid and canceled itineraries. Unconfirmed that Capt. was replaced on Bonaire. Also cruise director unseen since sunday. This is so far unproven. I just think it very unwise to load the ship up and send it out again. No way that ship is being cleaned enough to prevent more cases. Hey that's just my opinion. I wonder if those boarding yesterday were told and given any options.

I totally get what you're saying.  We shall see what happens.  There may be a lot of cruises to nowhere over the next couple of weeks.  Hopefully that won't be the case but I do think the next couple of weeks will be interesting. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am unsure why people are surprised to hear about breakouts on a cruise ship.  They are everywhere.  It is a CHOICE we make when we decide to take our lives back.  Sending the ship back out has zero to do with anything.  The infected are off, it does transmit on surfaces.  We chose to live our lives, knowing the risks involved.  If other choose not to, because of medical reasons or otherwise, all is good.

The infected are off

What about the crew? Surely they are contributing to the spread. I'm supposed to be on Freedom on 1/9. We won't even consider it. I understand when people say they are double vaxxed and boosted (as are we) but my very healthy brother and my son got COVID (and are vaxxed and boosted) and it was still a miserable experience- in bed for 4-5 days. No one was concerned they'd die, but who wants to be on a cruise with a really bad cold? I'd much rather have my own bed, etc.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, loohoo1 said:

The infected are off

What about the crew? Surely they are contributing to the spread. I'm supposed to be on Freedom on 1/9. We won't even consider it. I understand when people say they are double vaxxed and boosted (as are we) but my very healthy brother and my son got COVID (and are vaxxed and boosted) and it was still a miserable experience- in bed for 4-5 days. No one was concerned they'd die, but who wants to be on a cruise with a really bad cold? I'd much rather have my own bed, etc.

There is a thread on the allure who stopped this morning obviously to unload positive crew. So at least one ship has made a effort to have fewer positive crew onboard. Hopefully keeping them in isolation also helps even if not perfect. 

I'm with jimbo above. If you choose to cruise right now there is a risk. It's up to you if you want to cruise or cancel. I'm not cancelling, you are. Glad there is a choice and cdc isnt forcing another shut down on all of us. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, loohoo1 said:

The infected are off

My best friend is vaxxed and boosted.  Shes on day 5 and has had 102 degree temp, horrible cough and headache.  She seems to now be on the down side of things.  Interestingly, her exposure was last Sunday and by Wednesday, everything tasted like pepper.  It was all downhill afther that.  

I agree the crew is contributing to the spread.  And with how their living quarters are; it will continue to spread among them.   January is going to be a crucial month. 

I felt far safer on the cruise ship last week than I ever have by shopping at my local stores.....🙄  And this virus will not "be over"...... it's here to stay.  If people don't want to take the risk, then don't cruise....or shop.....or leave your house.  😷

• Like 8

Unfortunately this is a sort of herd immunity situation.  There are a lot of vaccinations and boosters in peoples bodies which should lessen the symptoms.  Once people start to contract COVID they should build the antibodies to now contract it again, at least for a larger period of time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

It's a perfect storm, Omicron and holiday gatherings. I asked before on a different thread, what will happen when so many have to cancel because they can't pass the test? It is not likely the rules will change but I feel like we are about to enter a difficult window.

I agree. 

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Chyna3032 said:

I agree the crew is contributing to the spread.  And with how their living quarters are; it will continue to spread among them.   January is going to be a crucial month

Your post is interesting and truthful. Most crew that I have noticed as soon as they debark the ship their mask comes off. Free to go aboard for supplies, that mask won't return till they reboard. There's a crew store at Amber Cove where the crew shops along with several picnic tables where I noticed thirty or more crew members mixing together from different ships, relaxing and partying and so forth.

I understand their right to remove the mask as they wear them during working hours.  It's a heck of a soup stirring problem that continues to spread from passengers as well as crew.

I know someone who was on freedom next week and switched it to another ship. 

Also reading things about Panorama. A lady posted that her two kids got a fever and they had to pay $200pp for their family of five to get tested on the ship. Also read Lee Mason has had to DJ some due to the DJ having been in quarantine… Some playlist members missing and stuff like that happening.

With New Years coming and packed ships this could be the beginning of the end. Glad I already got my December cruise in.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

We just got off yesterday. My wife tested positive onboard. The cruise director was indeed replaced in Curaçao. It was very clear covid was a major problem on this cruise. It was so disappointing. And they definitely left me feeling like you are better off not testing, which shouldn't be the case

Prayers for your wife’s recovery!

I have wondered if in the near future ships will have to test everyone before disembarking in the US? I understand what a hassle that would be, and the complications that would arise would be a logistical nightmare. I’m just thinking out loud of what could happen, in light of the spiral of the last 2 weeks.

Best wishes to all!

5 hours ago, Stryker50 said:

Have you had all shots and a booster?

Ships are immune to covid - people aren't.

The crew is fully vaccinated and wear kn95 masks whenever in public areas. Can't say the same about some passengers. I think it is obvious who is spreading it more and it isn't people properly wearing high quality masks. In addition, the crew is regularly tested, the passengers aren't.

Everyone could be required to test before disembarking but I doubt it for the small outbreaks that have happened.

Infected crew are isolated and quarantined from others, as are passengers. 

The cruise lines are required to report covid cases to the CDC who investigate if the threshold is reached and ship status becomes yellow. If enough cases are reported, then the ship status goes to Red and additional measures are required which would impact the schedule. I am not aware of any ship reaching Red and have no doubt ambulance chasers would be all over that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

I just hope that Omicron fizzles out quickly. From what I've seen it seems to have fizzled out quickly in other countries.

My wife mentioned that very same thing last night. I was not aware of that. Good to know, and maybe there's hope yet! 🤞

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Everyone could be required to test before disembarking but I doubt it for the small outbreaks that have happened.

Why is it the CDC requires me to test negative before flying here from Mexico but they don’t require it for me cruising here from Mexico?

8 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Why is it the CDC requires me to test negative before flying here from Mexico but they don’t require it for me cruising here from Mexico?

You would have to ask them, but my guess is they don't want covid+ passengers flying.