Carnival Food Quality Very Subpar

solinar

What I will say is that, objectively, Carnival lacks a lot of ethnic food. The ethnic food essentially is Mexican food, sushi, and masala dosa. It would be nice to have more options. Some of my guests don't like sailing with Carnival for this exact reason and it is a deal breaker for them. But for the price I pay with Carnival, I don't mind. My prime rib dinner more than makes up for any lack of options. 

IMHO, carnival has come a long way. In 2010, the food was not to my liking. But it has drastically improved. I like the fillet mignon on the sea day brunches. My prime rib has been really good during the last 2 carnival cruises. 

14 hours ago, htkodiak said:

On another note " mean people ". Many times I saw people talking down to wait staff , one incident was an older person yelling at an lido deck waiter in front of her grandchild ,someone in their 20's ,who was clearly very embarrassed. Elevator etiquette is another, people walking in front of wheelchair bound people.

Sounds like cruising is back to normal if that's the behavior.  I've never understood why people have to act this way - on a ship or anywhere else.  We've also witnessed this behavior on too many cruises.  😥As for the food on CCL, we've never gone hungry!  😁 We've sailed several different lines, and we've enjoyed all of them.  Is CCL consistently the best?  No. But the others haven't been either.  Thanks for the MG food review.  Glad you had a good time!  We had an MG cruise booked in 2020, but cancelled.  Hope to sail her some day!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I would not call it bold, eclectic or international but did enjoy it; on the 14 night sailing I was on, it was offered on most sea days, we certainly missed it when it wasn't offered

On a recent journeys cruise I took, they offered a Steakhouse Brunch for $25 that was one of the finest meals I have ever eaten on Carnival. I don't know why they don't offer it more often. It would be a revenue generator in a space that goes unused otherwise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

On a recent journeys cruise I took, they offered a Steakhouse Brunch for $25 that was one of the finest meals I have ever eaten on Carnival. I don't know why they don't offer it more often. It would be a revenue generator in a space that goes unused otherwise. 

We did one of those on a transatlantic about 10 years ago! Maybe they are trying again. I think at the time it was $15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

Thanks for the info. I will pass it along to my companions. Some of them bemoan the lack of ethnic options onboard, but lobster would more than make up for it. 

They are very small , however 2,3,4 of them are available for the asking.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

They are very small , however 2,3,4 of them are available for the asking.

Oh they are not shy about asking. 

I am not shy about asking for prime rib. I got 4 juicy slabs of prime rib on my cruise 2 days ago. So good. My server was very kind. When I asked for a 3rd slab, he asked if I wanted a 4th slice with no judgment. It was awesome. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I would not call it bold, eclectic or international but did enjoy it; on the 14 night sailing I was on, it was offered on most sea days, we certainly missed it when it wasn't offered

I envy your Journey Cruise, did you order the Tower from the menu?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

We have been multiple cruise lines in the past 35 years, including many cruises with Carnival, and have never had anything we would consider terrible or inedible on any of them. Food is obviously subjective, but I wonder what those that post complaints about the food on a cruise actually eat when not cruising? It must be incredible to find nothing they like or can eat on a cruise ship.

I know I am baffled as well.   Some folks think that cruising is only about food and expect 5 star meals in every restaurant.  I think overall MDR do a pretty good job.  For me the noise level and the fast pace of the waiters moving around as well as tables packed so close together is what I dislike.

I go more and more to buffet at night so I can make my own salad, pick out larger quantities of vegetables and I see the desserts too.  Looking at the food versus the words on a menu makes selections easier.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DrSea said:

Thanks for the info. I will pass it along to my companions. Some of them bemoan the lack of ethnic options onboard, but lobster would more than make up for it. 

Go on the newer ships and you'll have more options.  What specific ethnic options are you looking for?

• Like 1

I love the vast majority of Carnival food. It;s not 5 star cuisine but that's fine because we're not paying 5 star prices. And I love on first elegant night that we can have prime rib and 2 or 3 lobsters. 

I love that we have a variety. In our home at dinner there are only 2 choices; whatever I have prepared and a peanut butter sandwich [made by whoever chose not to eat what I made, and don't forget to put the bread and peanut butter away, wipe off the bread crumbs from the counter and clean off the knife please!]

If I order something I don't care for someone in our group can eat  it and I can   order something else. In all my years of cruising that has only happened in the MDR once.  

Not every food is prepared exactly as I would, just as noone's bbq or Spaghetti sauce is the same as ANYONE elses. I enjoy the dinferences in style when I eat on a cruise ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
6 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

I love the vast majority of Carnival food. It;s not 5 star cuisine but that's fine because we're not paying 5 star prices. And I love on first elegant night that we can have prime rib and 2 or 3 lobsters. 

I love that we have a variety. In our home at dinner there are only 2 choices; whatever I have prepared and a peanut butter sandwich [made by whoever chose not to eat what I made, and don't forget to put the bread and peanut butter away, wipe off the bread crumbs from the counter and clean off the knife please!]

If I order something I don't care for someone in our group can eat  it and I can   order something else. In all my years of cruising that has only happened in the MDR once.  

Not every food is prepared exactly as I would, just as noone's bbq or Spaghetti sauce is the same as ANYONE elses. I enjoy the dinferences in style when I eat on a cruise ship.

I Heard 🙃 that people have different dislikes as well as tastebuds.

36 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

26 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

I Heard 🙃 that people have different dislikes as well as tastebuds.

That's the thought that should unify us.  Some people LOVE guys' burgers.  I think they're borderline disgusting.  We're all right because it's OUR opinions based on our likes and tastebuds!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Oh wow, that sounds awesome!   What did that include?  

16 hours ago, famof4togo said:

I didn't realize this....so what do they serve on formal night on a 5 night cruise if not the lobster ?

Prime Rib....and that's what gets me to (sorta) dress up for cruise elegant night.   A pair of Dockers, a nice button-down shirt and black shoes is about my limit nowadays.  😄  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 4

Just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Liberty.  Regarding food, it was (Shall we say) OK but nothing sensational.  Have been on 24 Carnival cruises so have some experience with this.  The MDR selection was good but limited.  The LIDO deck food had several issues.  I really miss them cooking eggs the way you like them as you waited in the line.  Otherwise you took what was already cooked and was almost warm.  Already cooked pan cakes were the same issue.  The desserts, on the other hand, were outstanding.  There was cake every where and many kinds.  The staff serving did an outstanding job and you could not ask for better help.  Like I say, the food was OK like most restaurants but nothing to brag about.  Hope it improves for my 2023 cruise.  

5 hours ago, richfret said:

I really miss them cooking eggs the way you like them as you waited in the line.  Otherwise you took what was already cooked and was almost warm. 

Since when did they stop allowing the person who makes your omelette to order make you two over easy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since when did they stop allowing the person who makes your omelette to order make you two over easy?

We had a few cooked to order egg breakfasts on the 2 cruises we were on over the last couple of months at the omelette stations on the Pride and Magic

Edited by bar1068
words missing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Meh, the wife and kids say my cooking is subpar as well, so it shouldn't be too different than home; no dishes and cleanup for the win! Subpar on a cruise is better than subpar at home. 😁

That is how I look at it...if I didn't have to go to the food store to buy, I didn't have to prepare and most importantly I didn't have to clean up.....that is still leaps and bounds ahead of eating at home!!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bar1068 said:

We had a few cooked to order egg breakfasts on the 2 cruises we were on over the last couple of months at the omelette stations on the Pride and Magic

My DH ordered Huevos Rancheros at Blue Iguana this past weekend on Sunshine and they cooked the eggs to order.  Pretty yummy!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 3