Odds of our January 8th cruise sailing

Poulsbo Cruisers

https://time.com/6131901/covid-19-cruise-ships/?utm=newsbreak
Just saw this article. Could the CDC put another hold on cruising? Add to that the concern of getting to Fort Lauderdale without having our flights canceled.  Just when we thought it was safe to go back to cruising, Omicron happens. 

I've got 9 B2B starting on the 9th and am still being hopeful with fingers crossed, slowly ticking things off my pre cruise to do list.  

I can see more port changes coming, but am willing to go anywhere as long as it is warm and I get served and taken care of as close to normal as possible.

So far while there have been a number of positive test, it seems the cases are not serious like they were on the initial shutdown and the ships are handling cases better. 

In my opinion the cruise lines are going to require all passengers to be vaccinated and have boosters by January.  

In addition I anticipate the cruise lines being required to utilize an approved CDC vendor to do testing at the port of embarkation.  

• Like 2

I doubt that there will be a pause.  While there are cases on cruise ships the most reported so far on the RC ship amounts to about .7% of the ship in a 7 day period, with no masks required in most areas.  That rate, while high for the cruise ships, is actually about the same infection rate as the state of Florida over the same 7 day period.  (cases per day X 7)/population

So it shows that the protocols are offsetting the close confines of cruise ships.  Add in the increased mask use and the cruise ships are doing much better in general than the over all land population.

The more pressing question is the chance of ports being canceled and entertainment  cutback on board ship.  Now is not the time to cruise if you want to visit specific ports or purchased because you wanted a certain itinerary.  Cruise will go on but one needs to be flexible and anticipate that there will be changes.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We head out the 8th.  Will sit on my balcony for 7 days, don’t care, close the ports.  If you sign up, you have to know this may happen.  Believe everyone will get this illness, just a matter of time, the conflicting data is getting old.  Life has to go on…

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Waynetor said:

I've got 9 B2B starting on the 9th and am still being hopeful with fingers crossed, slowly ticking things off my pre cruise to do list.  

I can see more port changes coming, but am willing to go anywhere as long as it is warm and I get served and taken care of as close to normal as possible.

So far while there have been a number of positive test, it seems the cases are not serious like they were on the initial shutdown and the ships are handling cases better. 

What I don't understand is that if this is all that people want from a cruise and you don't care if you can get off the ship, why don't you go to an all inclusive resort instead.  You get the same thing - warmth, service and being taken care of.  What is the difference.  Am I missing something?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What I don't understand is that if this is all that people want from a cruise and you don't care if you can get off the ship, why don't you go to an all inclusive resort instead.  You get the same thing - warmth, service and being taken care of.  What is the difference.  Am I missing something?

DON

l’ve gone on vacations to all inclusive resorts but would choose a cruise without port stops any day!  We normally don’t disembark in any of the ports anyway and sea days are our favorite days. The scenery and the movement of the ship in the ocean makes it all worth it!  Plus, we can embark on a cruise from nearby our home without taking a flight.  Cruises for us!  

• Like 11

13 hours ago, nocl said:

I doubt that there will be a pause.  While there are cases on cruise ships the most reported so far on the RC ship amounts to about .7% of the ship in a 7 day period, with no masks required in most areas.  That rate, while high for the cruise ships, is actually about the same infection rate as the state of Florida over the same 7 day period.  (cases per day X 7)/population

So it shows that the protocols are offsetting the close confines of cruise ships.  Add in the increased mask use and the cruise ships are doing much better in general than the over all land population.

The more pressing question is the chance of ports being canceled and entertainment  cutback on board ship.  Now is not the time to cruise if you want to visit specific ports or purchased because you wanted a certain itinerary.  Cruise will go on but one needs to be flexible and anticipate that there will be changes.

According to John Hopkins Covid tracker,  current positivity rate in Fl as of 12/28 is 18.7%.   I agree with you regarding cruising for specific ports or itineraries, probably not going to happen.  As a well seasoned cruiser, I don’t mind just staying on the ship when it comes to Caribbean cruises.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

In my opinion the cruise lines are going to require all passengers to be vaccinated and have boosters by January.  

In addition I anticipate the cruise lines being required to utilize an approved CDC vendor to do testing at the port of embarkation.  

If cruise lines will require everyone to be vaccinated and boosted by January, would they need to announce the requirement by now?

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

l’ve gone on vacations to all inclusive resorts but would choose a cruise without port stops any day!  We normally don’t disembark in any of the ports anyway and sea days are our favorite days. The scenery and the movement of the ship in the ocean makes it all worth it!  Plus, we can embark on a cruise from nearby our home without taking a flight.  Cruises for us!  

100%% Agree!

• Like 4

We returned from the 11/30 Enchanted sailng a few weeks ago so just ahead of this current surge. One port cancelled so 4 sea days on the 10 day cruise.  I like sea days although I would rather not have 10 of them! If I were cruising again in Jan (and I wish I was) I would probably be more concerned about flight delays and cancellations than cruise ship cancellations.  This is not the time to be flying in day of  departure, nor is it a time to have your heart set on a particular port.  Be sure you have travel insurance and scope out alternative flight options, just in case. And know going in that ports can change literally any time.  And get a booster, its just a matter of time before its required imho.

Edited by Buckeye10640

We are booked on Majestic for Jan 8 ... unless everything gets much, much worse, I believe that she will sail as scheduled. I have no idea how many guests will be onboard. We intend to be onboard ... but who knows ... testing, rental cars, flights, hotels ... all have to work just right. We have our black medallions, KN95 face masks, saline nasal spray, valid passports, VAX1/2/3 cards, luggage tags, etc. What more can we do? I've never prepared more for a cruise and this is #65.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

We are booked on Majestic for Jan 8 ... unless everything gets much, much worse, I believe that she will sail as scheduled. I have no idea how many guests will be onboard. We intend to be onboard ... but who knows ... testing, rental cars, flights, hotels ... all have to work just right. We have our black medallions, KN95 face masks, saline nasal spray, valid passports, VAX1/2/3 cards, luggage tags, etc. What more can we do? I've never prepared more for a cruise and this is #65.

Yeah I was stressed and overly preparing for 11/30 but all went well! The one I am worried for now is Alaska in May and the situation with Canada (its ANC to YVR). But its out of our control, and time will tell. I am hoping Omicron has burned out by then and no new variant takes its place!

• Like 1

I’ve done all inclusive and lots of cruises. To me no comparison. First of all unless you spend a ton of money I think the food on cruises is much better than the all inclusive so I have done. Plus there’s just something magical and mystical about being on the open ocean. I love it so much and I’m just praying that we will be able to go on the regal January 14!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Yeah I was stressed and overly preparing for 11/30 but all went well! The one I am worried for now is Alaska in May and the situation with Canada (its ANC to YVR). But its out of our control, and time will tell. I am hoping Omicron has burned out by then and no new variant takes its place!

What situation with Canada? The ban on cruise ships in Cad waters was lifted back in November .

57 minutes ago, macmax said:

What situation with Canada? The ban on cruise ships in Cad waters was lifted back in November .

This is true,  but one never knows what new rules may be put in place if Omicron or a new varient becomes worse.  I am cautiously optimistic all will be a go in May.....

Edited by Buckeye10640