Knife edge

Triggertravel

Sorry to state the obvious but cruising again is on an absolute knife edge,lots and lots of media coverage namely royal Caribbean  ,is that the omicron variant is infecting passengers and crew, alike at an alarming rate ,and that some Caribbean islands are not allowing the ships to dock,and some are returning to there home ports I don’t think any of us are kidding ourselves , that we didn’t think this would happen , but I must admit this time it’s really really concerning me where and how this will end .we are due to join azura in 6 weeks , and if I could cancel I would ,purely on the basis of if I do get it where my wife and I  end up getting disembarked at ?but I do think that that decision will be made for me,as the cruise lines must act but how this will leave the already badly scarred cruise industry nobody knows.sooner or later the authorities have got to say live with it and get on with life ………….please. Post your thoughts. Hopefully more positive than mine 

It is a sad time for the cruise industry.  I would not be surprised if cruising is halted very soon until the winter is over.  Too many problems with Omicron being so contagious. It is only going to get worse with potentially a serious outbreak, especially on Iona, picking up 3000+ passengers in Southampton. 

I hope PO survive, I suspect some smaller lines will fold.

• Like 1

We are currently on Britannia and the whole experience to now has been excellent.  The ports have all been open and welcoming. One small hiccup in St Vincent where a p&o excursion and a test was necessary.  We have not encountered any other restrictions.  All ports except St Vincent and Grenada have allowed independent exploration. Grenada you could take a licensed taxi tour or an excursion.

Most onboard are delighted they took the chance to enjoy the destinations and the winter sunshine. The bubbles before joining the ships seem to have worked well in keeping covid away. We've chatted with some people on Azura today and they feel the same.  As long as you are careful and watchful while ashore it should be fine.  

I will certainly consider doing it again soon.

• Like 9

It all depends on your attitude to risk and ability to cope if the worst happens.

I’m sure that all those who choose to do a winter cruise and do so without being affected by covid will have a really lovely holiday. We did summer staycations and had really excellent cruises (on Celebrity) but have avoided winter for obvious reasons.

I know I could not cope if I ended up in a quarantine cabin and then stuck in a second rate hotel abroad with poor food etc for 10 days and potentially a long flight home. It is a risk that some can contemplate and some can’t. Very much a personal choice so no decision is right or wrong, just what is right for the individual.

The OP is correct that cruising is on a knife edge and the next few weeks and what happens to passengers over this period will be telling.

I love cruising and want to see it survive so let’s hope omicron burns out very soon.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

We are currently on Britannia and the whole experience to now has been excellent.  The ports have all been open and welcoming. One small hiccup in St Vincent where a p&o excursion and a test was necessary.  We have not encountered any other restrictions.  All ports except St Vincent and Grenada have allowed independent exploration. Grenada you could take a licensed taxi tour or an excursion.

Most onboard are delighted they took the chance to enjoy the destinations and the winter sunshine. The bubbles before joining the ships seem to have worked well in keeping covid away. We've chatted with some people on Azura today and they feel the same.  As long as you are careful and watchful while ashore it should be fine.  

I will certainly consider doing it again soon.

From what you’ve said it sounds like you had an excellent cruise, and fortunately your ship’s Covid free bubble has held up very well, with minimal cases.

However, since you flew out, Omicron has exploded in the U.K., and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the next batch of passengers will unwittingly bring an unwelcome extra with them, eventually resulting in the problems other ships are now experiencing.

in your position, I think I’d quit while I was ahead and enjoy the happy memories, as subsequent cruises are unlikely to be so free of trouble! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree.  I couldn't contemplate it and now both my 2022 cruises, already moved from 2021 are now 2023 and I am much relieved.

Hello from down the road 😃 We had a cruise in Oct 21, have 4 booked for ‘22 and 2 so far in ‘23. Our view is to get them booked and on the system and see how things are nearer the time of travel. We’re only booking with P&O and Princess at the moment so that if there’s a cancellation we can just move the deposit/final payment onto the next trip. 
Our next one is on the Iona in mid February to the Canaries, fingers crossed 😬

Unfortunately I can't as my April Aurora balance was paid before I left.  If I'm honest I feel safer on a fly cruise due to the PCR testing and the Canaries with their dodgy hotels and food most definitely don't appeal! 

After speaking to people on Azura today most of them feel the same about the PCR test being the defining thing.  For all I know I may be carrying the virus at this moment but until someone tests me I won't know. I have my emergency pack of wipes, paracetamol etc packed just in case and I've researched Barbados quarantine hotels!

If I'm found to be infected I have absolutely no concern about quarantine in Barbados: I knew the risk better than most and took it so can't complain.  I have two insurance policies and a letter from P&O's CEO department with a personal contact. I appreciate most won't have the latter.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Knife edge is the correct term. As for head into Spring with no-fly cruises being two weeks or a month+ long, any cancellations I expect to be on a cruise by cruise basis.

I said elsewhere the Ventura cruises and the Aurora restart cruise are the ones which for me look likely to fall if any. Fly cruises need a PCR first. That just leaves Iona (for which I have no opinion).

You can't cancel and replace with UK seacations as they will be just as susceptible to covid outbreaks at this stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Knife edge is the correct term. As for head into Spring with no-fly cruises being two weeks or a month+ long, any cancellations I expect to be on a cruise by cruise basis.

I said elsewhere the Ventura cruises and the Aurora restart cruise are the ones which for me look likely to fall if any. Fly cruises need a PCR first. That just leaves Iona (for which I have no opinion).

You can't cancel and replace with UK seacations as they will be just as susceptible to covid outbreaks at this stage.

Yes U.K. seacations would be just as susceptible to covid outbreaks but less costly for passengers who could probably just drive home if we’ll enough to do so.

They could perhaps add a pre departure PRC requirement for local departures as some other lines did in the summer.

34 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

What do you reckon the chances are that Arcadia will restart at the end of March ?

We are booked to go, and have no worries,  but it is interesting to see how many cabins  have opened up since the final payment date.

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I hope PO survive, I suspect some smaller lines will fold.

Carnival's latest quarerly results are relatively encouraging,  especially the monthly cash burn figures. 

A four week hiatus would not be the end of the world, but I imagine that it will be more economically efficient to continue cruising with 30% occupancy than stop altogether.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

A four week hiatus would not be the end of the world, but I imagine that it will be more economically efficient to continue cruising with 30% occupancy than stop altogether.

We found cruising at reduced capacity (45ish%) to be very relaxing.  The Ole Lady was a bit disappointed that there were no art classes though.  More chance to win in the quizzes as well.

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We found cruising at reduced capacity (45ish%) to be very relaxing.  The Ole Lady was a bit disappointed that there were no art classes though.  More chance to win in the quizzes as well.

I couldn’t even win the quiz on a half empty ship!

• Haha 3

P&O fly cruises seem to be doing very well on keeping the disease out so far.  We talked to a lot of crew ashore yesterday as they were on days off and were meeting up from Britannia and Azura.  They informed us very proudly that no member of P&O's crew on either of these ships had fallen foul of covid and there had been no cases amongst any of them.  We were most impressed to be truthful that there was confidence by P&O that they could inter mingle. Of course Britannia has been here much longer and Azura only arrived later but still no covid on either ship from the crew is a remarkable success by anyone's standards.  From my spa therapist I know that boosters are imminent - her's was due next week.

We are now approaching crunch time onboard as testing for disembarking of guests starts at 9.00a.m.  on Britannia.  

Any future problems arising will I imagine arise from increased numbers of passengers and possible sloppiness by them in adhering to the rules.  I also personally feel that PCR testing before cruising/flying is a benefit that has not been available to the ex Southampton ship departures and may be a better option in the Omicron period.  I would be very happy to pay a little more for the gold standard test as I mentioned elsewhere.

I must admit to being very nervous about my 1 April Aurora cruise as the approach of the European countries, particularly Spain, is alarming to me.  I also would not consider any multi nationality cruise such as those offered by Cunard where US passengers in particular fly in to join in the UK.  This woud seem to magnify the risk considerably.  I cannot comment on the Iona situation but do wonder if the sheer size of the ship and the number of passengers making up the 50% ratio may be adding to the problems.

However my experience on what was a very unexpected cruise not booked by me have exceeded my expectations in all respects and I am very glad to have done it.  Even if all goes hey wire for me later today and the tests come back with a wrong result it has been a lovely way to spend the past two weeks.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I also personally feel that PCR testing before cruising/flying is a benefit that has not been available to the ex Southampton ship departures and may be a better option in the Omicron period.  

I couldn't agree more. It is intersting to see that the fly cruises where a PCR is required before hand have kept Omicron at bay so far. I'm due on a cruise next week, still undecdied about what to do but if everyone had a negative PCR before boarding I would feel alot more confident about going.

We are on RCI in 3 weeks out of Fort Lauderdale and then Miami🙊

Fully paid.

We're going (If we're allowed!) Whats the worst that could happen ?! You only live once. Covid is going to be around forever. Everyone is getting older, not younger, got to do things while your can. We're only 30 & 29 but would rather be out in Florida than stuck in the UK.

• Like 2

With regard to cruising, we're in the semi-fortunate position that it isn't till early June. And plenty can , and should, change by then. We picked this cruise with Oceania as it is a Southampton round trip, and so avoiding flights.

The news today from the American CDC advising against cruising, regardless of vax status, is worrying. I don't think they have yet put any new ships on their "red list" but ssupect that will be just a matter of time. I really don't know what more cruise lines can practically do,  that they have not done, to keep folk safe.

I've just read soem of the latest UK modelling which is suggesting we could be hitting 3000 daily deaths by the end of January, if restrictions are not tightened. I can see that effecting our plans for our winter sun trip to Tenerife (no cruise involved on that one) which is my immediate worry.

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

We are on RCI in 3 weeks out of Fort Lauderdale and then Miami🙊

Fully paid.

We're going (If we're allowed!) Whats the worst that could happen ?! You only live once. Covid is going to be around forever. Everyone is getting older, not younger, got to do things while your can. We're only 30 & 29 but would rather be out in Florida than stuck in the UK.

Well that escalated quickly. With the CDC advising against cruise ship travel today I wonder if that invalidates our UK insurance if we travel (even though the UK FCDO isn't advising against international cruise ship travel at this point). Will have to enquire tomorrow.

Will not be going if that is the case.

Edited by swoopy2110

12 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Well that escalated quickly. With the CDC advising against cruise ship travel today I wonder if that invalidates our UK insurance if we travel (even though the UK FCDO isn't advising against international cruise ship travel at this point). Will have to enquire tomorrow.

Will not be going if that is the case.

The CDC recommendation has no bearing whatsoever on your insurance cover.