International guest quarantine after the cruise... $$$ Question

Pedro2400

Hi Folks,

If you are a Canadian and you tested positive on the cruise, You can't fly back to Canada until you have negative Covid-19 test.

I heard Celebrity will arrange the transfer from the port to quarantine hotel.

If you have to stay in the quarantine hotel until you test negative, who would pay for the hotel? Celebrity or the guest?

5 minutes ago, Pedro2400 said:

Hi Folks,

If you are a Canadian and you tested positive on the cruise, You can't fly back to Canada until you have negative Covid-19 test.

If you have to stay in the quarantine hotel until you test negative, who would pay for the hotel? Celebrity or the guest?

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/CEL_Healthy_at_Sea_FAQs

Page 8 should answer your question.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Looks like Celebrity only covers quarantine for sailing dates on or before April 30, 2022.  After that date the passenger has to pay.

This 'perk' has been extended already, and may be extended again.  I would imagine that this depends upon how fast we get through omicron, and if anything else interesting follows it.

3 hours ago, Pedro2400 said:

Hi Folks,

The last letter delivered to the cabin was that Celebrity will pay for five days hotel (up to $150/night) and $100 worth of meals per day.

Hi, I received an email from Celebrity stating that testing would now be done in the terminal after disembarkation; I believe this is to avoid honouring their commitment to paying for a quarantine hotel and making the guest the responsibility of the local authorities. I posted this information on a separate thread as well. 

8 minutes ago, Cruising from Mississauga said:

Hi, I received an email from Celebrity stating that testing would now be done in the terminal after disembarkation; I believe this is to avoid honouring their commitment to paying for a quarantine hotel and making the guest the responsibility of the local authorities. I posted this information on a separate thread as well. 

Since the restart, I've felt that the on board testing for International travelers to return home was an extremely generous carrot used to entice Canadians, Europeans, etc to return to cruising. Turns out that carrot has gotten awfully expensive in the last month. Like any other policy, when its cost outweighs the benefit, it's needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm sure it was a cost cutting decision. What bothers me is that it is done after the fact and without consideration of guests who have already paid. Making this change after final payment is not an ethical approach, and the perceived "extra generosity" is irrelevant. It was offered as a policy, I booked and paid, and now it has changed to my detriment. In fact, it might not be possible for Canadian travellers to return home the day of disembarkation under this policy. Good thing I booked my flights via Celebrity Air; I guess it will be their problem if I miss my flight due to their own policy.

• Like 1

The testing to

44 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

The last letter delivered to the cabin was that Celebrity will pay for five days hotel (up to $150/night) and $100 worth of meals per day.

the letters that I saw posted by some having to be quarantined in Florida at the end of the cruise said hotel up to $350 per night and $100pp per day for meals.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pedro2400 said:

I agree 1000%. If they Celerity like international travelers to cruise, then they must provide a quarantine plan and compensation if passenger is tested positive on the cruise...

Otherwise, Why would I risk myself....

Oh of course let someone else pay for my decision to take a luxury vacation.  They are a cruise line not the local welfare office.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pedro2400 said:

Hi Folks,

We are cruising in April and have reserved a one way car rental to get back home to Ontario just in case.  We would rather have a plan in place instead of OMG what do we do now, especially when changes are happening it seems continuously by Celebrity.   We hope not to use the rental as it’s expensive but it will allow us to get home if need be and if we can recoup some $$ from Celebrity then great.  There is a pandemic out there and we are choosing to cruise so we need a plan A 

Edited by schiff1997
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pedro2400 said:

Hi Folks,

The rules are changing effective January 15.   If you have a positive PCR test you can fly home after 10 days.  Prior to that the rules are that you have to quarantine for 14 days.

3 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I thought it was up to $350 per night for hotel? 

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

Since the restart, I've felt that the on board testing for International travelers to return home was an extremely generous carrot used to entice Canadians, Europeans, etc to return to cruising. Turns out that carrot has gotten awfully expensive in the last month. Like any other policy, when its cost outweighs the benefit, it's needs to be addressed.

Spoken like a true bean counter. When a company offers the carrot and guests use it to help make the decision to give the company their hard earned dollars, the company should be bound to live up to their offer. If the company wants to modify the carrot, they should make the change effective on any new reservation after a specific date or at the very least allow the guest to cancel for a full refund paid immediately to the same method of payment. 

I agree it was a very generous offer, but it was an offer that the guest took them up on. Reneging on that offer is truly unethical if not unlawful. Address it for future bookings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tert333 said:

The rules are changing effective January 15.   If you have a positive PCR test you can fly home after 10 days.  Prior to that the rules are that you have to quarantine for 14 days.

Yes, as of Jan 15th, it's reduced to 10 days.....but keep in mind that Celebrity will only cover up to 5 days in a hotel (because the CDC says quarantine required for US citizens is 5 days).....Canadians will be on the hook for anything beyond those 5 days.

13 hours ago, Pedro2400 said:

Hi Folks,

We are from the UK and our travel insurance covers us for exactly that event. I thought X 's booking conditions made it mandatory to have such insurance or if you chose not to you accept it's your responsibility. We wouldn't travel without comprehensive insurance ( we both had food poisoning in LA and 2 nights in hospital cost $20,000 plus the cost of new flights and extra hotel nights  - all covered by our insurance). Geoff

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pedro2400 said:

Well do not sell it, if you can't take care of cruisers..

To your reply,  Cruise lines had been making profits over the years.. paid huge bonus... to their bosses

I am not sure anyone complained...… back then

Well do NOT book it if there may/are going to be issues.  Buy it then own it