Tips

Calton

20 minutes ago, BigTorino said:

If you don't want to tip or pay gratuities - don't cruise then, and don't go out to a restaurant or stay at a hotel in the US either. It's all part of the deal - and it's not optional. If you want to change how the service industry works, stop paying tips is not the solution. 

Tips/Gratuities are optional. It’s in the definition of the word itself. 

Websters dictionary - 

Gratuity

something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service”

Also, someone shouldn’t stay at a hotel if they don’t tip? Who exactly should you tip? The front desk agent? The housekeeper? The maintenance guy? 

Next thing you know they’ll tell you that you can’t take a leak at an airport bathroom if you’re not tipping. Gotta love the tip police!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

People that don’t know how to mind their own business bother me, yes.

This is a public internet forum. You are free to expose your views on tipping and others are free to call you out on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Tips/Gratuities are optional. It’s in the definition of the word itself. 
Websters dictionary - 

Gratuity

something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service”

Also, someone shouldn’t stay at a hotel if they don’t tip? Who exactly should you tip? The front desk agent? The housekeeper? The maintenance guy? 
Next thing you know they’ll tell you that you can’t take a leak at an airport bathroom if you’re not tipping. Gotta love the tip police!

54 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I haven’t given my views on tipping. I said everyone should do as they please with their money.

Reading these two posts seem to differ a bit. One states what appears to be an opinion that gratuities are optional and getting upset over ‘tip police’ appears to be stating a ‘view on tipping’.

As to hotels, most of us who traveled due to business and now on vacation, we tipped the housekeeping team by leaving a few bucks on the table. I really didn’t think that was a very unique habit. But I have a feeling the poster understood that is done, of course by others…..I bet. 

By the way, if you will get upset over tipping in a bathroom…..don’t go to many of the Euro bathrooms. there’s a ton of little old men and women standing there handing out paper towels and glaring at anyone not tipping. And many others with a small cup for dropping off change.  

So much for just US tipping customs.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Reading these two posts seem to differ a bit. One states what appears to be an opinion that gratuities are optional and getting upset over ‘tip police’ appears to be stating a ‘view on tipping’.

As to hotels, most of us who traveled due to business and now on vacation, we tipped the housekeeping team by leaving a few bucks on the table. I really didn’t think that was a very unique habit. But I have a feeling the poster understood that is done, of course by others…..I bet. 

By the way, if you will get upset over tipping in a bathroom…..don’t go to many of the Euro bathrooms. there’s a ton of little old men and women standing there handing out paper towels and glaring at anyone not tipping. And many others with a small cup for dropping off change.  

So much for just US tipping customs.

Den

It’s not my opinion that tipping/gratuities are optional. It’s a fact. Both by definition and in practice. That’s why you can take off gratuities if you want on a cruise. If it wasn’t optional then you wouldn’t have the “option” of not paying them.

Also, I was born in Europe…it’s generally only tourists (mostly Americans) that tip. 

9 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

People that don’t know how to mind their own business bother me, yes.

With all due respect, when someone comes onto a public forum and asks specifically how to opt out of tips then they are specifically MAKING it everyone else's business.  They are actually REQUESTING advice and opinions from others.  If you don't want others commenting because it isn't any of their business, then don't publish the question on a public forum. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

It’s not my opinion that tipping/gratuities are optional. It’s a fact. Both by definition and in practice. That’s why you can take off gratuities if you want on a cruise. If it wasn’t optional then you wouldn’t have the “option” of not paying them.

Also, I was born in Europe…it’s generally only tourists (mostly Americans) that tip. 

Euro’s may not have tipped when you were born in Europe, but every ‘tipping in Euro’ website state it is ‘common’ to tip 5-10% if service isn’t listed as included. When I was in many Euro ports in the 70’s-80’s, it was customary to leave your change, and tipping was becoming more common…..by the ‘locals’. So Yes, not as much as done in the US, but tipping in Europe in many locations is done, especially with good service. So No it isn’t ‘mostly Americans’ that tip. 

But as we all know, none of that has to do with ship borne gratuities. Many standard Cruise Lines do not include it in their SR pricing so they are more competitive with each other, just as taxes, fees and port charges aren’t included til the end of the reservation steps to artificially show a low cruising cost.

Enough. When lecturing others, it’s good to use current status instead of what was done 50+ years ago.

Den 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Euro’s may not have tipped when you were born in Europe, but every ‘tipping in Euro’ website state it is ‘common’ to tip 5-10% if service isn’t listed as included. When I was in many Euro ports in the 70’s-80’s, it was customary to leave your change, and tipping was becoming more common…..by the ‘locals’. So Yes, not as much as done in the US, but tipping in Europe in many locations is done, especially with good service. So No it isn’t ‘mostly Americans’ that tip. 

But as we all know, none of that has to do with ship borne gratuities. Many standard Cruise Lines do not include it in their SR pricing so they are more competitive with each other, just as taxes, fees and port charges aren’t included til the end of the reservation steps to artificially show a low cruising cost.

Enough. When lecturing others, it’s good to use current status instead of what was done 50+ years ago.

Den 

I travel to Europe multiple times a year and most of my family is still there. Nobody tips 5-10%. Only tourists that listen to what some website says actually do it. So you can keep arguing with me about what is done in Europe because of what you read on a website or experienced among other tourists when you traveled there or you can just listen to what someone from there, that travels there multiple times a year, and who has a majority of their family still there tells you. 

If you want to leave 5-10% then be my guest. I don’t care what you do with your money which is exactly the point I’m making.

Also, while it is “customary” to pay gratuities on a ship and it is “customary” to leave a waitress a tip…it certainly isn’t mandatory.

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

With all due respect, when someone comes onto a public forum and asks specifically how to opt out of tips then they are specifically MAKING it everyone else's business.  They are actually REQUESTING advice and opinions from others.  If you don't want others commenting because it isn't any of their business, then don't publish the question on a public forum. 

No, they’re not. They asked if they can…not advice on if they should or what others do.

If I ask where I can get a coke on a ship it doesn’t (or shouldn’t) open the door for people to comment about how bad soda is for you and how you should just drink water.

For whatever reason, tipping has become a pissing match of some sorts and those who choose to do something different with their money are publicly shamed. Maybe someone takes off gratuities but gives triple that amount in tips? How do you know? You don’t. It’s their money they worked hard for and can do as they please with it. Stop telling others how to spend their money. It’s none of your business.

14 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

What exactly are you calling them out for? For spending their money how they want? Last I checked tipping isn’t mandatory. It’s 100% optional. How about you worry a little more about what you’re doing and a little less about what everyone else is doing Karen.

LOL…oh the burn.

You seem to like making comments about how all this should work.  A cruise is not a land vacay in Europe…act accordingly. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Tipping thread continues to spiral.  Maybe it needs a quick end.

Kill it with fire.  It usually comes to an abrupt end when a non tipper gets involved...or in this case a European telling everyone how it's done over there...which has zip to do with the etiquette on most cruise ships, especially the ones sailing out of US waters.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I travel to Europe multiple times a year and most of my family is still there. Nobody tips 5-10%. Only tourists that listen to what some website says actually do it. So you can keep arguing with me about what is done in Europe because of what you read on a website or experienced among other tourists when you traveled there or you can just listen to what someone from there, that travels there multiple times a year, and who has a majority of their family still there tells you. 

If you want to leave 5-10% then be my guest. I don’t care what you do with your money which is exactly the point I’m making.

Also, while it is “customary” to pay gratuities on a ship and it is “customary” to leave a waitress a tip…it certainly isn’t mandatory.

When I am in Europe I tip according to the European custom. On cruise ships I go with what is customery on the the cruise line. In the US I tip according to our customs. While I wish the custom in the US was to pay servers a living wage without tips, I go with what is....... not what should be..... and I tip. You can say it is not mandatory but people who don't tip in the US are looked upon as weirdos, losers, creeps, and other words I can not post. Saying they are not mandatory is a cop out. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Except of course when telling everyone only American tourists tip in Europe…..got it. 

Den

That’s not telling people what to do or where to spend their money. That’s telling you what it’s like. You seem to be ignoring reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL…oh the burn.

You seem to like making comments about how all this should work.  A cruise is not a land vacay in Europe…act accordingly. 

How this should work is that everyone do what they want with their money. If you want to pay gratuities on a cruise great, if you don’t…great. That’s your money. Until you’re earning my money for me don’t come tell me how to spend it.

Also, the OP didn’t say they didn’t want to tip. They asked about removing gratuities. They could just tip everyone as they go. Or is that not good enough for you either? So someone has to spend their own money on what you deem appropriate…and they must also spend it how you want them to spend it.

59 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Kill it with fire.  It usually comes to an abrupt end when a non tipper gets involved...or in this case a European telling everyone how it's done over there...which has zip to do with the etiquette on most cruise ships, especially the ones sailing out of US waters.  

The Europe comparison was brought up by someone else. I merely replied to it. Reading comprehension is essential.

57 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When I am in Europe I tip according to the European custom. On cruise ships I go with what is customery on the the cruise line. In the US I tip according to our customs. While I wish the custom in the US was to pay servers a living wage without tips, I go with what is....... not what should be..... and I tip. You can say it is not mandatory but people who don't tip in the US are looked upon as weirdos, losers, creeps, and other words I can not post. Saying they are not mandatory is a cop out. 

The European custom is to not tip. So if you tip, you’re doing it because you’re bringing over your custom from the US to Europe.

in the US tipping is customary when dealing with service related businesses. So you tip a waiter, bartender etc because their salary is reduced and tips make up the difference.

We’re now on an era where everyone is pushed to tip for everything. I know servers at Outback making $500 a night just in tips. That’s great for them and if people are willing to tip that much that’s their business but if someone doesn’t give an extravagant tip that’s their business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Tipping thread continues to spiral.  Maybe it needs a quick end.

Original start to the thread..

"We booked our cruise before the introduced the all included package. Can you opt out of tips and if you do are any charges put on drinks, dining etc"

IMO a legitimate question.  Has the OP had his answer and is long gone?  Now a case of who gets the last word.  It's grown up silly time.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

How this should work is that everyone do what they want with their money. If you want to pay gratuities on a cruise great, if you don’t…great. That’s your money. Until you’re earning my money for me don’t come tell me how to spend it.

Also, the OP didn’t say they didn’t want to tip. They asked about removing gratuities. They could just tip everyone as they go. Or is that not good enough for you either? So someone has to spend their own money on what you deem appropriate…and they must also spend it how you want them to spend it.

All are of course allowed to remove gratuities if they decide to do so.  That said, this then means the behind the scenes folks, you know dishwashers, laundry people, et al, get NOTHING, I guess the cheapskates don't care because they never see them, they are "invisible" so to speak.  Rubbish, if you do not want to tip extra cash then don't but jeez leave the pre-paid gratuities in place already.  Yes it is your/mine/our money that we all worked hard for, but so have the behind the scenes folks done the same for us.  If you bedsheets or towels were never cleaned I am sure you'd be raising a ruckus.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

No, they’re not. They asked if they can…not advice on if they should or what others do.

If I ask where I can get a coke on a ship it doesn’t (or shouldn’t) open the door for people to comment about how bad soda is for you and how you should just drink water.

For whatever reason, tipping has become a pissing match of some sorts and those who choose to do something different with their money are publicly shamed. Maybe someone takes off gratuities but gives triple that amount in tips? How do you know? You don’t. It’s their money they worked hard for and can do as they please with it. Stop telling others how to spend their money. It’s none of your business.

LOL... ok...go with that if it makes you feel better. 🤣 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2