Princess needs to rethink how they handle food & drink orders on the medallion app

CineGraphic

23 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I noticed on the last couple of recent cruises, lots of dishes, glasses etc left out in the hall. Much more than usual. I  hate seeing the filthy dishes .

There's actually a button on the app for room service tray removal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I noticed on the last couple of recent cruises, lots of dishes, glasses etc left out in the hall. Much more than usual. I  hate seeing the filthy dishes . With food being delivered more frequently via the appl., those same rude people are putting more dirty dishes  out than usual.

May not be people's fault(although not an excuse), with room serviced by room stewards being once a day now. My room steward would come in in the evening to drop off the next day's patter. If I had dirty dishes or glasses, he didn't remove them. We just used the shelf where the TV use to be in the balcony cabins above the bar area to stack anything. It got removed in the morning. No reason to ever put dishes out in the hallway.

We always used the app and they would be gone within an hour or so. 20220120_151629.thumb.jpg.792989f45f28e681224e6ed9ebabf235.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

One of the "promises" made about the app was that you could enter your preferences for drinks. I like my Gin and Tonic made with Tanqueray. I like my Bloody Mary extra spicy, I do not want ice in my Scotch. This was supposed to be a feature of the app. Having never yet sailed on a Medallion cruise (we've had a lot of cruises cancelled) I haven't had a chance to evaluate if this was actually implemented or not.

If you can make special requests, we couldn’t figure out how. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It means we could figure it out. If anyone has figured it out, please let us know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

This would really peeve me. I don't always want the same drink. I may want a Tanqueray and Tonic, a Spicy Bloody Mary, Talisker (or another Scotch) neat, etc. I don't want to approach a bar and have the bartender fix me a "whatever" automagically. Nope, nope, nope...

I think bartenders only do this when they know the person always prefers a certain beverage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Would you feel the same way after walking the length of the ship to deliver a coke to a man sitting mere feet or yards away from a bar? Not just once, but all day, every day.

I never said I would do this, but I understand why others do after being bombarded with how great this feature is.

However, if someone is walking the length of the ship to deliver food or beverage that is available a few feet away, then the implementation of this feature is as faulty as the pre-cruise use of the app has been. Especially when a bar beverage is involved, it should be delivered from a nearby bar, not from a bar far, far away.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, coopco said:

If you can make special requests, we couldn’t figure out how. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It means we could figure it out. If anyone has figured it out, please let us know.

If they didn't include any place for special instructions when ordering I think most of our drinks will be obtained in person at the bars. 

9 hours ago, caribill said:

However, if someone is walking the length of the ship to deliver food or beverage that is available a few feet away, then the implementation of this feature is as faulty as the pre-cruise use of the app has been. Especially when a bar beverage is involved, it should be delivered from a nearby bar, not from a bar far, far away.

And that's the exact point of my original posting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If they didn't include any place for special instructions when ordering I think most of our drinks will be obtained in person at the bars. 

We did this for hot coffee drinks, with choices for different milks, whole, nonfat, almond, etc. Also, temperature or drink and any sweeteners. All on the app. Hot teas would just be lava hot and perfection for MUTS nights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

We did this for hot coffee drinks, with choices for different milks, whole, nonfat, almond, etc. Also, temperature or drink and any sweeteners. All on the app. Hot teas would just be lava hot and perfection for MUTS nights. 

Thanks.

We have had the opportunity to use the app for ordering yet.

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Another thread says that all bars are closed on their ship. Must order from a server or via the app.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Another thread says that all bars are closed on their ship. Must order from a server or via the app.

That is interesting. We had bars open on our sailing (Dec 20th) - not all the bars were open at all times but there were enough open. Guess I better go find that thread. I wonder if this is due to staff illnesses?

38 minutes ago, Coral said:

That is interesting. We had bars open on our sailing (Dec 20th) - not all the bars were open at all times but there were enough open. Guess I better go find that thread. I wonder if this is due to staff illnesses?

Just found the thread. Bizarre.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

IIRC, Grand had to close its bars when they were docked in Maui, but I didn't hear the bars were closed when they were anywhere else.  I think Maui instituted an order requiring all patrons in bars to be vaccinated with booster shots.  That happened earlier this month.  Is it possible this was the reason bars were closed on the Grand?

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

IIRC, Grand had to close its bars when they were docked in Maui, but I didn't hear the bars were closed when they were anywhere else.  I think Maui instituted an order requiring all patrons in bars to be vaccinated with booster shots.  That happened earlier this month.  Is it possible this was the reason bars were closed on the Grand?

IIRC, no liquor could be served while docked in Maui, no matter how usually ordered.

• Like 1

I tried to place an order for a dessert on the app while in my cabin last month on the Caribbean. I couldn't get it to work. I ended up ordering through the TV menu. A room service steward delivered it within 10 minutes.

Next month will be the first time I've had Princess Plus. I'm sure I will be ordering more drinks. I did not order any last month, making do with my minibar contents and the bottles of champagne I won and the bottle of wine I brought with me. 

8 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I tried to place an order for a dessert on the app while in my cabin last month on the Caribbean. I couldn't get it to work. I ended up ordering through the TV menu. A room service steward delivered it within 10 minutes.

I did order cheesecake and key lime desserts via phone to my cabin in December.

• Like 1

Back to the thread title:  Princess needs to rethink the Medallion, PERIOD!  Its a  copy of what Disney does in their parks.  Large parks, not enclosed ships.  Peoples parks usually come with mobile phones and other devices, in addition to bags for carrying items.  On a ship my phone really likes its home to be inside the safe.  Carting the phone with me around the ship is just not practical.  My spouse hates to carry the Medallion - so I have to carry hers in my pocket.  The only real reason Princess has invested so much on Medallion technology is they expect a good return on investment.  Won't happen the way its designed.  Sorry, Princess, but its just not working.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Back to the thread title:  Princess needs to rethink the Medallion, PERIOD!  Its a  copy of what Disney does in their parks. 

Not a surprise since they brought in a former Disney tech person to head up the Medallion development.

And he did such a good job with the Medallion, he has been promoted to President of Princess Cruises.

After all, doing tech work for a land-based amusement company gives one the background and experience needed to run a cruise company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3