Oasis Chartered Cruise During Covid…Do they have to Follow the same Covid Protocols?

BennyBrun

10 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The deaths onboard are usually due to drug overdoses. Unfortunately there's drug use at these dance parties and the abuse becomes deadly.

That’s too bad about the overdoses.  The party you’re referring to in South Beach caused a lot of concern in 2020 due to the Covid positive cases so it’s not surprising that it was cancelled this year due to the omicron variant. 

38 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Someone reported earlier there’s been a death onboard and from what we’ve seen, there is a high probability of positive cases onboard. Who is responsible for quarantine expenses and flying passengers home?  The charter organizers?  RCI? 

Well I am seeing the broom and it looks like someone is lifting the rug to sweep all the "results" of the cruise under it. I don't think you will hear any news on number of cases for passengers on this cruise. Keep in mind, it is now at the half way point of the 7 day sailing. No news yet!  The last opportunity for info on cases may be on the last day of the cruise as they are scheduled to stop at Coco Cay. Are they still required to report crew/passenger cases for this stop? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That’s too bad about the overdoses.  The party you’re referring to in South Beach caused a lot of concern in 2020 due to the Covid positive cases so it’s not surprising that it was cancelled this year due to the omicron variant. 

Right.  Like the Sturgis Motorcycle rally was cancelled.  🙄

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

Well I am seeing the broom and it looks like someone is lifting the rug to sweep all the "results" of the cruise under it. I don't think you will hear any news on number of cases for passengers on this cruise. Keep in mind, it is now at the half way point of the 7 day sailing. No news yet!  The last opportunity for info on cases may be on the last day of the cruise as they are scheduled to stop at Coco Cay. Are they still required to report crew/passenger cases for this stop? 

As far as I have heard, all "reports" of cases of quarantine etc have come from people posting about it on social media.  Unless someone on board posts, "OOOO, I saw xxxx people being put in quarantine", etc., you're not going to hear anything.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kruzerci said:

Glad they are there and having a great time. Not their fault, Royal could have cancelled it or enforced their own rules 🤷‍♂️. In the end, everybody is vaccinated and not going to become terminally ill. If anybody gets their cruise cancelled because of positive crew after this sailing, thats a shame, but blame Royal not the charter or the people who paid a premium for a specialty vacation. Royal knows what happens on these sailings, it is nothing new, and they accepted the risk. 

WTH? So you think all the blame should be on Royal? What happened to personal responsibility? The blame should also fall on the passengers and the charter company. It doesn’t matter if they paid a premium for their vacation. They knew the rules and it’s also their fault for not following them.

• Like 7

You know passengers are not tested onboard before they leave the ship, right?

That only happened on sailings out of Nassau, and then only really because people on those sailings usually had to fly home and needed a test for that.

If someone is not showing any symptoms, there's really nothing that's going to mean they'll take a COVID test, short of contact tracing with someone who did show symptoms who was tested and came back positive.

So, no, there's not going to be any huge positive number of passenger cases from this or any other US sailing.

Crew are a different matter, because they are being tested at least weekly most everywhere, though in some cases on a rolling basis (i.e., the whole crew on a ship isn't tested on the same day). That's where these latest big outbreaks in the news really come from/are about. Crew. And the crew really is, in passenger areas, doubly masked, with an N95/KN95 mask under their normal cloth one. And those large parties outside? The crew really isn't amidst them at all, while the parties are going on. The charter company staff is there.

So, short of all the crazy speculative fiction going on in places like here, so far, nothing is really particularly problematic.  Yeah, plenty of stuff is going on aboard some people here on in the general public may not particularly like to know about. But that's hardly anybody's problem but the people having opinions about things they're not involved in at all; kinda a common problem among busy-bodies/Americans in general, I suppose.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

WTH? So you think all the blame should be on Royal? What happened to personal responsibility? The blame should also fall on the passengers and the charter company. It doesn’t matter if they paid a premium for their vacation. They knew the rules and it’s also their fault for not following them.

The cruisers should be blamed.

Atlantis Events should be blamed

Royal Carribean should be blamed

All 3 bear responsibility.  

I think it says a lot though that both Royal and Carnival over the past months have had the highest capacity of any cruises going out and the most number of ships. And the MOST COVID cases.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Someone reported earlier there’s been a death onboard and from what we’ve seen, there is a high probability of positive cases onboard. Who is responsible for quarantine expenses and flying passengers home?  The charter organizers?  RCI? 

well since it doesnt affect me i wont worry about it. im guessing others have a vested interest in liability and blaming other via some investment in royal or an insurance company otherwise the discussion is moot. plus these are professional organizations with attys. i'm sure there are iron clad agreements on all sides to solve these issues. so as officer barbrady says..nothing to see here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

well since it doesnt affect me i wont worry about it. im guessing others have a vested interest in liability and blaming other via some investment in royal or an insurance company otherwise the discussion is moot. plus these are professional organizations with attys. i'm sure there are iron clad agreements on all sides to solve these issues. so as officer barbrady says..nothing to see here.

It does affect those who hold stock in RCI and fares for future cruisers -- many here on CC fall into one or both of those categories. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It does affect those who hold stock in RCI and fares for future cruisers -- many here on CC fall into one or both of those categories. 

The stock holders the question is; will a ship charter like this generate more revenue than the cruise that left the week prior and maybe the one to be cancelled the next week. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The stock holders the question is; will a ship charter like this generate more revenue than the cruise that left the week prior and maybe the one to be cancelled the next week. 🤷‍♂️

True, the four million RCI is getting for the charter is a big chunk of change but it can be quickly eroded by public perception (warranted or not) of these types of cruises and ultimately affect future bookings - i.e. cancellations and lower bookings. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yes, Renee, I do. 

On any other post-covid Royal sailing I have been on (10 since July) the crew is VERY on top of enforcing rules to the point where if somebody is not following the rules, they are reminded and forced to comply with such rules. Also, we, as passengers, have been limited in how many people can access a venue (theatres, shops, Windjammer) BY ROYAL. Royal chose to set forth a different set of rules and/or a different level enforcement of such rules on this sailing. I'm sorry that you cannot see that Royal Caribbean could be at fault here, but I would think you would be more outraged that they require you to follow a different set of rules on a "regular" vacation than this group on a premium rate specialty sailing. 

9 hours ago, dswallow said:

You know passengers are not tested onboard before they leave the ship, right?

That only happened on sailings out of Nassau, and then only really because people on those sailings usually had to fly home and needed a test for that.

9 hours ago, dswallow said:

So, short of all the crazy speculative fiction going on in places like here, so far, nothing is really particularly problematic.  Yeah, plenty of stuff is going on aboard some people here on in the general public may not particularly like to know about. But that's hardly anybody's problem but the people having opinions about things they're not involved in at all; kinda a common problem among busy-bodies/Americans in general, I suppose.

Precisely! 

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

Anyone who has a cruise booked on Oasis soon, which is in much higher danger of getting canceled if this charter cruise results in a large number of crew testing positive, has an interest here.

Anyone who doesn't want their future cruise being similarly risked by charter cruises ignoring Covid protocols, has an interest here. If the PR hit outweighs the financial gain, Royal will hesitate to do so again.

• Like 3

I feel the pain. The LLV charter on Oceania is a much smaller ship/scale but the premise is the same. Special rules, meaning none. And we have $$$$ wrapped up in our planned trip between hotels before and after, air fare etc.  yes we have trip insurance, cancel for any reason, but only 75% back. Which is bull. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tolkmit said:

Anyone who has a cruise booked on Oasis soon, which is in much higher danger of getting canceled if this charter cruise results in a large number of crew testing positive, has an interest here.

Anyone who doesn't want their future cruise being similarly risked by charter cruises ignoring Covid protocols, has an interest here. If the PR hit outweighs the financial gain, Royal will hesitate to do so again.

Well the boarding time for 1/23 cruise has been pushed back 2 hours now so at least the cruise is still a go so better late than never.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Just to confirm- Atlantis always books the full ship for a chartered cruise, right?  While I definitely have no problem with their lifestyle choices, but think the crowding w/ constant loud partying wouldn’t be a good match for me 🙂

"lifestyle choices"   well we have "no problem" with your choices either 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Unless this somehow makes headlines, the only "public" perception will be amongst the tiny minority here on CC.

Yes, I always thought the population on CC is tiny and shrinking over time. That is why I started joining the Facebook groups for cruises. And the public perception is now being developed on that very small population of increasing viewers as well. You know they say watch out for the small dogs as they do have bigger friends. Again, no info on numbers of affected will be released for this cruise as it will all be swept under the rug.