How Will The Russia /Ukraine Situation Impact Europe Travels

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, SonomaMountain said:

I have a Baltic Cruise booked on Seabourn, waiting a bit to see what happens. Is it cancelled or fewer ports? I was so looking forward to my first cruise since 2019.

What time of year?

We had a Baltics booked for May 2022, but decided to put it off until 2023 basically due to Covid; the last thing you want is to go to the Baltics and miss a port.  Now, I'm thinking that maybe the Baltics won't be good for a bit.  So, we're looking at moving the Baltics to a Norway cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhannah said:

I would certainly advise staying out of the Baltics right now. I hope things will settle down soon.

We think that there is now a lot of uncertainty in  all of  Europe  because it is  made up of Nato nations . If we were cruising it be as close to the USA as possible  until 7 if things settle down . Like the OP said the stock  market does not like uncertainty & today  Monday  Jan 24th shows it 

5 hours ago, SonomaMountain said:

I have a Baltic Cruise booked on Seabourn, waiting a bit to see what happens. Is it cancelled or fewer ports? I was so looking forward to my first cruise since 2019.

Interesting as I have been looking at a Black Sea cruise out of Istanbul on Windstar, May 7, with a port call at Odessa, Ukraine.  Holland America use to do a similar cruise on the Prinsendam, which I wanted to do.

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Interesting as I have been looking at a Black Sea cruise out of Istanbul on Windstar, May 7, with a port call at Odessa, Ukraine.  Holland America use to do a similar cruise on the Prinsendam, which I wanted to do.

We are booked on an Azamara cruise to the Black Sea but not until 2023.  It’s one of the few that actually does the whole BS including Georgia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We are booked on an Azamara cruise to the Black Sea but not until 2023.  It’s one of the few that actually does the whole BS including Georgia.

I am looking at one of those itineraries too. Which one are you on?  It took me a while to realize I had to look at every AZ itinerary are some do the full circuit and some do not....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am looking at one of those itineraries too. Which one are you on?  It took me a while to realize I had to look at every AZ itinerary are some do the full circuit and some do not....

We are on theJune 19th, 2023 sailing on the Quest.  AZ does several Black Sea cruises but most do not do what I call the full circuit.  I maybe wrong, but I don’t think any of the 2022 due the whole thing.

Norway had a cable to one of its undersea sensors (capable of detecting submarines) cut and cable removed and Russia is suspected of sabotage.  Then another sensor had its cable cut and removed.  A Russian spy ship has been showing undue attention to undersea cables off Ireland’s coast, which link Europe to North America.  Russia is also planning live-fire war games in Ireland’s EEZ next month and Ireland’s fishermen are going to be out in their fishing grounds to protect and protest.  This moves the tensions much closer than the Baltic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Norway had a cable to one of its undersea sensors (capable of detecting submarines) cut and cable removed and Russia is suspected of sabotage.  Then another sensor had its cable cut and removed.  A Russian spy ship has been showing undue attention to undersea cables off Ireland’s coast, which link Europe to North America.  Russia is also planning live-fire war games in Ireland’s EEZ next month and Ireland’s fishermen are going to be out in their fishing grounds to protect and protest.  This moves the tensions much closer than the Baltic.

This is certainly very concerning news. I'd heard about the war games off Ireland but not the cables. 

Let's all hope this is a game of brinksmanship that world leaders find a way to step down from. I'm not very optimistic...

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is certainly very concerning news. I'd heard about the war games off Ireland but not the cables. 

Let's all hope this is a game of brinksmanship that world leaders find a way to step down from. I'm not very optimistic...

I think anyone who is not concerned has their head in the sand.  The US & UK withdrawing citizens from Ukraine, and putting the military on high alert, is a strong indicator that those countries know more than just a troop build-up is going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I think anyone who is not concerned has their head in the sand.  The US & UK withdrawing citizens from Ukraine, and putting the military on high alert, is a strong indicator that those countries know more than just a troop build-up is going on.

Satellite photos show those military bases and equipment on the Russian border have been in place for years, but recent ones got cropped intentionally for effect.. Just like our San Diego harbor bristles with heavy military gear including nuclear powered aircraft carriers on our own borders. Does this mean  we ready to invade Mexico? According to others in the intelligence community, they recognize the role for "theater" in global politics, or merely well-timed deflection from domestic matters.  

Hard for the layperson to sort this out, I agree. But "Wag the Dog" might be a good movie to put on your home screens right now.  And always, always follow your own gut instincts because this is your decision.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m planning to book a Baltic cruise soon for this summer as part of a longer European trip.  No trouble planning the ports since I did that for the cruise we had booked and then cancelled in 2020.   If things change, they do, it is out of my control and I will make the best of the situation like I did in 2020 and 2021.  That said, I will be more surprised if the cruise sails than if it is cancelled.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing in yesterday's speech referenced a ban on travel for USA to Russia but that seems like a no brainer and should be coming soon?.......Difficult to vacation in Russia while they are rolling tanks over the people of Ukraine. 

• Like 3