How Dressy are Formal Nights on Celebrity?

earthpoet

No photographers on Seabourn.   It was formal night and I was surprised at the number of tuxedos 

on a warm weather cruise.   Of course most of the ladies really dressed up, some in very formal gowns.    Too bad my husband did not pack his tux as we had plenty of room.  Definitely will pack our best formal wear for our Cunard voyage.   We don’t wear masks in the bar or while seated and dining.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Of course most of the ladies really dressed up, some in very formal gowns.    Too bad my husband did not pack his tux as we had plenty of room.  Definitely will pack our best formal wear for our Cunard voyage.

Like I said, this (dressing up) is a longtime cruising tradition so for those folks who are into it, great. I wore a shirt and tie every day for school teaching for 34 years, and wear one every Sunday as organist at church, so when I go on vacation (which I consider a cruise to be...though with covid guidelines not sure if it fully qualifies as such) I'd be just as happy to stay with fairly casual dress, and nobody wanting to take my picture. Sounds like I'll pass on Seabourn and Cunard. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Combining thread topic with twenty year photo challenge. Our first Celebrity cruise on the Millenium twenty years ago January 20-27, 2002. Note the tuxs and bowties (AND stupid pose!).

Twenty years later on the Celebrity Apex December 11-20 2021. We didn't bring any neckwear or even sports jackets. Evening Chic was slacks and a collared button shirt.

1643643688994-42b879b0-bfb3-4136-8f56-5e20ac3a69dc.jpg

apex.jpg (2).jpg

I think you guys looked great in picture one!  Nice pic sans the fake background- but the fake background is part of the "ambiance" of the cruise.!  As long as you had a great time!

• Thanks 1

I like dressing up.  Living in Florida, I really don't get a chance to wear my finery and would look ridiculous going into Olive Garden in a long dress.  However, on a cruise, that's a different story.  I love wearing my good clothes.   I have a long black chiffon-y skirt with tons of gold embroidery that I can't wait to wear.  But I'm am old........LOL

• Like 5

On 1/31/2022 at 11:40 AM, kwokpot said:

Combining thread topic with twenty year photo challenge. Our first Celebrity cruise on the Millenium twenty years ago January 20-27, 2002. Note the tuxs and bowties (AND stupid pose!).

1643643688994-42b879b0-bfb3-4136-8f56-5e20ac3a69dc.jpg

But where are Kate and Leo?   😂

(I love the two photos you posted.  I hope you guys have many more happy cruises!)

• Like 1

I always enjoyed formal nights but now with so many showing up in less the formal attire with some in blue jeans and tee shirts the lines should just go to what Renaissance cruise lines once called Country Club casual which would be slacks and a polo or dress shirt for the men and the ladies maybe a pantsuit or capris with a nice blouse. The lines would enforce this dress code and not seat anyone in shorts, tees, blue jeans or flip flops. I don't think thats too much to ask.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Livesteamer said:

Are nice capris and a more elegant blouse acceptable attire for "chic nights"?

Depends on what shoes you wear.  Just being funny.   If you add a scarf that would make it dressier.  Sounds like many people wear what they want.  I wore a dress last cruise to Alaska with some comfortable sling back open toes pumps.  

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I always enjoyed formal nights but now with so many showing up in less the formal attire with some in blue jeans and tee shirts the lines should just go to what Renaissance cruise lines once called Country Club casual which would be slacks and a polo or dress shirt for the men and the ladies maybe a pantsuit or capris with a nice blouse. The lines would enforce this dress code and not seat anyone in shorts, tees, blue jeans or flip flops. I don't think thats too much to ask.

You may not like jeans (call them whatever you want), but Celebrity is ok with them. Listed in their published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You may not like jeans (call them whatever you want), but Celebrity is ok with them. Listed in their published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR.  

The last 2 Celebrity cruises we sailed on right before the pandemic, we were sort of surprised how nice people were dressed for dinner in the MDR, can honestly say that I never saw anyone wearing jeans for dinner. 

2 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

The last 2 Celebrity cruises we sailed on right before the pandemic, we were sort of surprised how nice people were dressed for dinner in the MDR, can honestly say that I never saw anyone wearing jeans for dinner. 

I only brought it up because you did. 

On 2/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, Turtles06 said:

But where are Kate and Leo?

LOL...speaking of that movie, while very good it was so anachronistic in some ways. 1st class and 3rd class pax would never have had the chance to come in contact with each other. They were kept separate due to immigration laws (and to prevent infectious diseases). Made for a good story though. 

On 2/1/2022 at 5:51 PM, MISTER 67 said:

with some in blue jeans and tee shirts

jeans are considered 'business casual'. Probably controversial as to how that fits in with "formal night' on a cruise. 

On 2/1/2022 at 5:51 PM, MISTER 67 said:

I always enjoyed formal nights but now with so many showing up in less the formal attire...

Exactly my point. For at least some of those who dress up, I think the experience for them is 'cheapened' by walking into the MDR and seeing far more casual attire. Some might feel,  why should I bother dressing up? 

On 2/1/2022 at 3:45 PM, esther e said:

But I'm am old........LOL

Nah...this is purely a state of mind 😉

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:12 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Viking has the following policy: "There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted."  

Does that mean I can't wear my kilt?

59704-3021997lores.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ivanidea said:

I know, the above photo was taken on the Connie.  Looks like I need to avoid Viking.

I just wanted to make sure as the post you quoted was about Vikings dress code which has absolutely nothing to do with Celebrity. 

• 1 month later...

Can we all agree, that as long as CLOTHES are worn, and you adhere to the minimum “dress code” the cruise line states, that this discussion should never be brought up again?  I love to dress up, you may not, but either way should not have any bearing on wether either of us has a nice evening.  When I hear these stories of someone being made to feel less than for not dressing up, or being made to feel out of place (or being extra) for dressing up I am reminded how much work we need to do as humans beings.  We are all on vacation, enjoy yourself and be grateful that you are on a cruise and have choices!  Okay, old lady rant over…..NOW, GET OFF MY LAWN! 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/1/2022 at 3:22 PM, graphicguy said:

Things change, don't they?  We'd be aghast today at some of the past traditions.  Back then, there were ashtrays and smokers at every table, too.

Cool picture

• Like 1

Some people like to dress up.  If that makes you happy, do it. Most people are rather casual. Most people dress neatly…slacks, collared shirts for men…dress, slacks, blouse or knit top for women.  It’s your cruise. Wear what you like.  

• Like 1

Evening Chic nights only applies to the MDR. Not specialty restaurants, Blu, Luminae or Oceanview Cafe. So your not going to find all guest dressing for Evening Chic nights. 

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests) The dress code in Celebrity’s Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise. Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.”

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/15047638_CEL_Evening_Chic_Overview_Flyer.pdf