Online Travel Agency's?

Harrylinden

30 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Is there a special request we need to make with the TA to have payment processed through Celebrity rather than the agency?

I did not realize this was even an option.

My experience is whether a deposit or paying the balance the TA immediately calls Celebrity while I'm on the phone and gives Celebrity my payment method. Then the TA sends me an updated invoice showing the new balance.

Edited by davekathy

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Might need to clarify for some, Jim.  The way you stated that, it could be misinterpreted to mean that you deal directly with X for payment.  I understand what you mean by "processed through", but some may not.

You are correct.   I tell my agent to pay and they use a Celebrity Reservation system and all payments are processed by Celebrity.

Thanks for bringing it up.   I was hoping to alley fears that all Travel Agencies process their payment and you may be at risk of a small agency going under,   I understand some do process their own payments as group bookings and require payments at different times than Celebrity.

17 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Is there a special request we need to make with the TA to have payment processed through Celebrity rather than the agency?

I did not realize this was even an option.

No, this needs to be automatic, if payment is not processed through X, then you need to consider changing TA's think *RED FLAG*.

bon voyage

• Like 2

I have been using one for years.  I always talk to the same agent. He has warned me about possible issues, handled refunds and price changes for me, and has been responsive to any and all questions we have had.   We frequently travel with other couples. He coordinates our reservations and makes sure our cabins are on the right side of the ship for the itinerary we're on.  

Plus, he always finds us the best prices.   We are on Reflection next month and he got us 3 concierge cabins in a row on the aft deck for 200pp less than Celebrity wanted for the "we assign you a cabin" price in the same category.     If there is a way to PM, I would give out his number to anyone who asked.

There are very reputable agencies that will give you the option to process payments through them, or their TAs will pay X directly.  Not necessarily a red flag at all.

Beware of extra fees, not only for cancellations, but changes in cabin/category, price drops, etc. A good agency will offer great perks with no hidden fees or charges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

No, this needs to be automatic, if payment is not processed through X, then you need to consider changing TA's think *RED FLAG*.

bon voyage

I agree with Bo.   I would not do business with one that processes their own payments.

Least we forget Thomas Cook a huge Travel company with many aircraft, hotels and resorts went belly up. in 2019

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sippican said:

There are very reputable agencies that will give you the option to process payments through them, or their TAs will pay X directly.  Not necessarily a red flag at all.

Beware of extra fees, not only for cancellations, but changes in cabin/category, price drops, etc. A good agency will offer great perks with no hidden fees or charges.

Personally, since the mid-70's have I heard of a TA who processes payments on behalf of a travel partner... this is not to say that the scenario you have experienced does not exist.

My personal take is, if that agency goes under then one has a difficult situation to have X or any other travel provider to honour your payments of which they may not have received through the arrangement/agreement.

While we will be able to prove that we paid, yet if not to the correct entity, then the trip is not paid for.

I can get insurance coverage for 'provider' bk or financial failure, my policy does not cover 3rd party.

If this arrangement has worked well for you, by all means continue with it.

bon voyage

On 1/27/2022 at 1:26 PM, TeaBag said:

You can book directly with the cruise company, then transfer to the on-line company you have chosen and get perks from both of them.

Correct---

We always book on board and receive a one category cabin upgrade plus some OBC .

( I don't know if it's because we are Elite ) ???

Then,  while we are sitting there, the Celebrity Rep transfers the booking to Big Box Travel who , on completion of the cruise, sends us a Gift Card valued at 8%  (?? ) of the price of the cruise.

Never had a problem.

Here's a hint I mentioned before-- When calling Big Box Travel-- press the option to connect to a French speaking Rep--- No worries, you will get through faster and they all speak English.

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Correct---

We always book on board and receive a one category cabin upgrade plus some OBC .

Then,  while we are sitting there, the Celebrity Rep transfers the booking to Big Box Travel who , on completion of the cruise, sends us a Gift Card valued at 8%  (?? ) of the price of the cruise.

Never had a problem.

Here's a hint I mentioned before-- When calling Big Box Travel-- press the option to connect to a French speaking Rep--- No worries, you will get through faster and they all speak English.

( I don't know if it's because we are Elite ) ???  Oh I'd be reasonably certain they only do this because Mrs. Pinboy is with you!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Correct---

Never had a problem.

You get the one category upgrade for being a CC member (classic or above). Reduced deposits for booking while onboard. OBCs are for booking a future cruise(s) while onboard. The amount of OBC is based on the stateroom  category and the length of the cruise. Again not CC tier level. We also get a bottle of wine (choice of white or red) for booking onboard and is delivered to our stateroom along with the cruise documents. I always tell the FC person not to transfer the bookings to the TA on record. I'll do that when I get home to see what the TA is offering. I don't always transfer our bookings to a TA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You get the one category upgrade for being a CC member (classic or above). Reduced deposits for booking while onboard. OBCs are for booking a future cruise(s) while onboard. The amount of OBC is based on the stateroom  category and the length of the cruise. Again not CC tier level. We also get a bottle of wine (choice of white or red) for booking onboard and is delivered to our stateroom along with the cruise documents. I always tell the FC person not to transfer the bookings to the TA on record. I'll do that when I get home to see what the TA is offering. I don't always transfer our bookings to a TA. 

Someone mentioned on an earlier thread that you have to book your cruise onboard on embarkation day to get the bottle of wine. Is this still the case?

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Someone mentioned on an earlier thread that you have to book your cruise onboard on embarkation day to get the bottle of wine. Is this still the case?

That was me. I don't know if Celebrity is still doing it or not as we haven't cruised since the restart. Our next Celebrity cruise isn't until this September. I'll be asking at that time. We've got two cruises (B2B) with RC in March but RC has never offered the bottle of wine for booking while onboard the first day (embarkation). 

Edited by davekathy

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That was me. I don't know if Celebrity is still doing it or not as we haven't cruised since the restart. Our next Celebrity cruise isn't until this September. I'll be asking at that time. We've got two cruises (B2B) with RC in March but RC has never offered the bottle of wine for booking while onboard the first day (embarkation). 

We board the Reflection on Saturday and plan to stop by the future cruise desk to see if they still offer that incentive on embarkation day. If they still do, I'll let you know. We can always use an additional "place holder" booking. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Personally, since the mid-70's have I heard of a TA who processes payments on behalf of a travel partner... this is not to say that the scenario you have experienced does not exist.

My personal take is, if that agency goes under then one has a difficult situation to have X or any other travel provider to honour your payments of which they may not have received through the arrangement/agreement.

While we will be able to prove that we paid, yet if not to the correct entity, then the trip is not paid for.

I can get insurance coverage for 'provider' bk or financial failure, my policy does not cover 3rd party.

If this arrangement has worked well for you, by all means continue with it.

bon voyage

I am at travel partner working for a very large well-known agency. I can process payments for my clients through the agency or the cruise line. It's fairly common for large agencies to hold payments til final payment date, then pay the vendor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sippican said:

I am at travel partner working for a very large well-known agency. I can process payments for my clients through the agency or the cruise line. It's fairly common for large agencies to hold payments til final payment date, then pay the vendor.

Why not simply process directly using the customer's card when final comes due, rather than banking your customer's money and enjoying the float for a few days (not that sweeping a cash account nightly pays any appreciable interest these days)?  Where is the advantage to the customer in that?

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

Why not simply process directly using the customer's card when final comes due, rather than banking your customer's money and enjoying the float for a few days (not that sweeping a cash account nightly pays any appreciable interest these days)?  Where is the advantage to the customer in that?

Over the years in the travel business have met many TAs at trade shows.  Note I do not handle cruises.  The procedure with all of them for payment is a credit card paid to the TA.  That payment is them electronically transferred to the cruiseline as soon as the quote is given a booking number.  This can take up to 2 days.  Payments move to the cruise line.  My credit card always shows the cruiseline as taking the payment.  I set up a date to make they final payment. My TA processes the payment that goes again directly to the cruiseline.