Please help me understand!

dogsled

Hello Cruisers:

We have a cruise booked in March on the Edge.  We are in the Retreat; when booked, everything was included, premium drinks, tips, onboard credit etc.  We also booked using future cruise credit; we were on a ship the week covid actually hit the world in March of 2020 so no port would take us and we couldn't get off the ship for another two days!  Anyhow we booked this cruise using that FCC.  Tonight, on the phone as we were questioning our invoice (which is paid in full), we discovered they didn't even use one of our FCC's AND, we also do not have all the amenities the retreat offers.  We were told the "loyalty" discount replaced that.  We really don't know what the loyalty discount was but what we do know, it is WAY LESS then what we now have to pay for drinks, wifi, tips.  We didn't ask for that and that was nothing that appeared during our booking.  In addition, we were told one of our FCC cannot be used now because our invoice is paid in full.  We knew something looked funky on the invoice but we thought the loyalty discount had something to do with our FCC even though the numbers didn't add up.  They sure know how to play with numbers to make things a little more confusing. We are at a loss; still on hold waiting to speak to someone else.  Is this normal?  I questioned from day one the invoice as it really doesn't show your FCC is being used.  We do have the original confirmation printed and it states all included with the retreat but they don't seem to care.  Any advice?

• Like 1

stick at it, & escalate...  they did the same thing for our Alaska cruise last year (we had 4 FCC). they tried use two, & charged our credit card for the rest of cruise....I really had to jump through hoops to get it all sorted.    Again, ask for the resolutions department

• Thanks 1

Cruise Kitty thank you for that advice!  We are still on the phone; been over 90 minutes.  We are working on escalating but oh my they are tough.  They are currently saying we just lost our FCC because we didn't use it when we booked but I have the screen shot of entering those certificate numbers so I am not backing down.  Thanks again for your input.

• Like 2

And we were just informed they will be charging our cruise an additional $1400 now to get the retreat amenities and the representative said "well you did book online so we can't control your booking".  Yep; we booked directly online with celebrity; thought that would have been a good thing but I guess not.  So we just lost our FCC and now will be paying for all the amenities because apparently we chose the loyalty discount (which was no where in our original booking paperwork which we have to prove and frankly don't even know what that loyalty discount is).  I am really sad because I like celebrity cruising but this is really sneaky.  I even offered to send the pics of my booking screen shots.  The rep told us she was from the resolutions dept and anything we send her really will not make a difference.  I am pretty sure we will enjoy our cruise but I am so deflated right now over this.

The Loyalty code was a rate that was offered last October. Prices were substantially discounted but it was cruise only rate so no drinks/tip/WiFi. Did you call in for a price reduction around that time? The rate had to been adjusted for some reason. I attached the details. 

CEL_Caribbean_Loyalty_Rates.pdf

Edited by Jeremiah1212

We didn’t book under any discounted loyalty program.  When we did book, everything was included;  I have the print out. This was in December.  Then when invoice was emailed, it was 1000.13 less & stated loyalty discount.  We had no idea what that was but since our FCC didn’t show up (even though numbers didn’t add up) we thought that was them using their swag with numbers for our FCC.  I guess the part that bothers me the most is even when I go online right now to book in the  retreat as if I was doing a new booking everything is included.   Is it actually possible to book a suite in the retreat and not have the drink package, tips and Wi-Fi?   We had it but I guess we just lost it.   Thanks for piping in & I will look over that info you provided.  I actually really hope I am missing something because I do not want to have a distaste with this situation.    

Jeremiah1212 thank you again for that info. I looked over that loyalty doc you attached. We booked 11/02 and didn't book with any loyalty program.  None of that shows up on our original document the night we booked but when our invoice came, it stated loyalty program.  We didn't question what that was but had no clue and again thought it had something to do with our FCC.  Should have question it then but sounds like it won't matter much. From here on out, I will not book online (because apparently Celebrity doesn't back that up) AND I will record every single phone booking conversation verifying what my booking includes.  

Unfortunately yes you can book suites without the Always Included perks.  Things like the simply sail rate.   They loyalty discount is another case.  Unfortunately it was automatically applied by simply providing you Captains Club number.

If you have a screen shot of your booking which includes the Loyalty Discount AND the retreat perks listed then I would definitely continue to challenge it with the resolutions department.   I know from experience that the Celebrity web site displayed this improperly for the first 24 hrs after they introduced the Loyalty Discount.

Here was the summary on 10/4/2021 at about 5 pm

image.png.2249b0ea73f648a49eb85be261d26e4b.png

Then here is the one on 10/5 about 11:30 am when they corrected their system.  Note the AI perks are now missing.   My TA did get them to honor the original but that was all resolved at that time in October.

image.png.89c90db8aac235fd3937eb8a1dc558cc.png

Wrk2cruise that must be it; we did enter our captains club # and probably will not do that again; that has to be what happened. It would have been nice to see that loyalty program show up on our original booking document but it did not which is why I question the practice.  And, yes the very next day after we booked, those perks disappeared and were not on the invoice emailed.  That is just wrong and sneaky in my opinion but I am going to chalk this one up as a very BIG lesson learned with booking any cruise.  Thank you for your time in responding.  Any information is valuable to us so this doesn't happen again and we will share our newly earned wisdom with others in our circle!

I had the same, awful experience when we booked the cruise we're about to sail on. I was fortunate to notice the day we booked and got it sorted out then (after a lot of time on the phone).

I did nearly cancel, though. I completely agree that the "loyalty" rate was terribly done, and I let them know that in a number of ways. 

We use a TA and occasionally book direct but then transfer to a TA.  No matter whether we book with a TA or direct we never book on-line.  I want to ask questions, be sure what I think I’m booking is in fact correct and wait on the  phone for the confirmation email before letting the agent off the phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dogsled said:

Good to know we are not alone in that & glad you got it worked out.   There should be a neon warning sign regarding their loyalty program!

I agree 100%. If they want to offer the rate, go nuts, but be clear about it. 

2 hours ago, dogsled said:

Cruise Kitty thank you for that advice!  We are still on the phone; been over 90 minutes.  We are working on escalating but oh my they are tough.  They are currently saying we just lost our FCC because we didn't use it when we booked but I have the screen shot of entering those certificate numbers so I am not backing down.  Thanks again for your input.

Escalate to Captain's Club rep or executive office.  The regular phone reps have little authority.  Best time to call is usually morning EST.

Ok... now I'm REALLY confused! I've always thought Celebrity's accounting presentation was a little bit of witchcraft mixed with some hocus pocus! We recently 'upgraded' from an SV cabin with the indulge package, to a Sky Suite. Essentially, here is what the guest confirmation copy says with the numbers represented by letters. What on earth does this mean?? 

RETREAT NRD                       0.00
SAVE 9NpluNRD                 -aaaa
Gratuities                                 xxx

TCK1-GRAT STD 11N            -xxx

TCP2-PROMO2P 11N          -yyyy 

TCP3-BEVPRINGRA11         yyyy

YVZ1-INTERNETCHG1          zzz 

YVZ2-INTERNETSAV1          -zzz 

Are the suite amenities included, or not? The " SAVE 9NpluNRD " is a huge number!

10 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

Ok... now I'm REALLY confused! I've always thought Celebrity's accounting presentation was a little bit of witchcraft mixed with some hocus pocus! We recently 'upgraded' from an SV cabin with the indulge package, to a Sky Suite. Essentially, here is what the guest confirmation copy says with the numbers represented by letters. What on earth does this mean?? 

Are the suite amenities included, or not? The " SAVE 9NpluNRD " is a huge number!

Yes, there are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dogsled said:

Wrk2cruise that must be it; we did enter our captains club # and probably will not do that again; that has to be what happened. It would have been nice to see that loyalty program show up on our original booking document but it did not which is why I question the practice.  And, yes the very next day after we booked, those perks disappeared and were not on the invoice emailed.  That is just wrong and sneaky in my opinion but I am going to chalk this one up as a very BIG lesson learned with booking any cruise.  Thank you for your time in responding.  Any information is valuable to us so this doesn't happen again and we will share our newly earned wisdom with others in our circle!

What has happened to your FCC that was not applied to this cruise?  Does it still show in your account?  I hope you will be able to use it before it’s expiration date.

5 hours ago, dogsled said:

Jeremiah1212 thank you again for that info. I looked over that loyalty doc you attached. We booked 11/02 and didn't book with any loyalty program.  None of that shows up on our original document the night we booked but when our invoice came, it stated loyalty program.  We didn't question what that was but had no clue and again thought it had something to do with our FCC.  Should have question it then but sounds like it won't matter much. From here on out, I will not book online (because apparently Celebrity doesn't back that up) AND I will record every single phone booking conversation verifying what my booking includes.  

We had a similar problem with Royal - first raised the issue on 13 December and it was finally resolved in our favour yesterday. Keep a record of every call (date, times, people) and print every email and screen shot. Geoff

6 hours ago, RealBatman said:

They are, but we did the same thing. Upgraded to a suite a few weeks before our cruise. Retreat host tried to tell us in a very loud and condescending voice that we did not get the suite amenities, specifically the upgraded internet which my husband needed for work. I tried to explain it wasn’t a move up, we upgraded but she wasn’t hearing me.  It was embarrassing and frustrating. She ended up tracking us down in the ensemble lounge to let us know that we did get it. Left a bad taste. 

• Thanks 1

I Am so sorry to hear of this, hopefully going forward not only you but others of us upon receiving our invoices and it is not as expected, get on the phone ASAP for an explanation from X and an explanation to X about what was expected and how to get it corrected, immediately.

You may want to consider using a TA going forward to do the leg work for you. You can still book direct but transfer the booking to your trusted TA, if you have one.

Good luck and enjoy your sailing regardless of outcome, but please let us know results.

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

I am amazed that Celebrity has not yet reached out to fix this. Don't they know how many cruisers read Cruise Critic and how negative this is? This might influence loyalty and this is a bad time to not be competitive.