Transport Canada Update on Cruising in Canada

Fouremco

Transport Canada has published an update of its Ship Safety Bulletin No.: 18/2021, modified February 1, 2022. The updated bulletin "outlines measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 from cruise ship operations. These practices must be implemented for cruise ship operations that continue, under restrictions, during the COVID-19 pandemic with Canadian ports of call."

While there is no information as yet on testing requirements for passenger visiting or disembarking in Canadian port, "Additional details on testing will be provided through periodic updates to this document."

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-february-1-2022

So, there is some movement and Transport Canada is clearly making some progress, but the major issue has not been resolved as yet. I would imagine that internal discussions on testing within the GOC and with the maritime provinces are ongoing, just as they are with the cruise lines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 20

I'll find this interesting to see what happens and how quickly changes occur now that the Federal government has resumed after their extended shutdown.  Couple that with Trudeau's COVID issues, apparent O'Toole ouster as CPC leader, and can see things grinding along ever slower than before😟

Edited by ALD18
  • Like 1

If I understand this correctly that the cruise ships need to have their plans reviewed 45 days before they enter Canadian waters.  

Does that mean the plans for the Caribbean Princess arriving April 6 will need to be submitted by February 20th?  Won’t Princess need to know testing requirements before then?

On 2/2/2022 at 6:32 PM, JBCall said:

If I understand this correctly that the cruise ships need to have their plans reviewed 45 days before they enter Canadian waters.  

Does that mean the plans for the Caribbean Princess arriving April 6 will need to be submitted by February 20th?  Won’t Princess need to know testing requirements before then?

It sounds like they have to submit for review/approval 45 days before.  There is probably a dialogue that will happen between the regulator and the cruise line once there is something on paper to look at. 

Currently there are testing exemptions for ground travel between Alaska at the lower 48.  There are also exemptions for people making international connections in Canada that will be leaving with 24 hours.   

So who is left are Canadians that may be arriving by ship and those tourists planning to stay in Canada more than a day or two.  

Theres also needs to be a plan for those arriving to Vancouver hoping to cruise out. What’s making many people nervous is the idea that you might miss your boat because you’re being delayed by random testing. Especially for those not flying in from the US. I don’t get how someone flying in from Germany like us has a more or higher risk than someone coming in from the US right now. Globally the situation is about the same.And not many people have the time nor money to fly and a good week or so before the cruise

Edited by mousefan73
  • Like 1

Does anyone have insight as to at what point cruise lines would need to know if there will be a summer Alaska cruise season out of Vancouver to either commit or pull the plug on the hiring/training of landside staff and for provisioning contracts, etc?  If testing upon arrival is a requirement (still a 50/50 possibility IMO for April at least), I can't see them starting up.  The reason I say this is 50/50 is that I still cannot go across the border for an hour to get a package at the UPS store without a PCR test and there doesn't even seem to be any chatter yet about easing this.  When it eased for land travel last year to the US, there was at least chatter about it for a few months before it finally happened.

• Like 1

I’m going to assume Government of Canada has already informed the cruise line of the testing requirements however, has not informed the public yet. I’m also assuming Alaska cruise will be a go from Canada. Plus, I will assume a Antigen Test will be required within 2 days of embarkment which is currently a common practice in USA.
When we disembark in Vancouver and fly back home (within Canada) what are the testing requirements?  Stay tune. 

I work at the Vancouver pier for cruise ship season and although I do not have any definite information I can tell you that plans are underway to begin the season on schedule.   There is a big hiring fair this week for the companies that operate at the pier for the cruise season.  So it is very promising.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

36 minutes ago, WeExplore said:

I work at the Vancouver pier for cruise ship season and although I do not have any definite information I can tell you that plans are underway to begin the season on schedule.   There is a big hiring fair this week for the companies that operate at the pier for the cruise season.  So it is very promising.  

Thanks for the info. We have cancel 3 cruises already in the past two years and really looking forward to our Alaska cruise. My only concern is disembark. Is this Government going to make us take a PCR test?  With 3,000 + people getting off the ship, I don’t think so.  Wait and see I guess. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Thanks for the info. We have cancel 3 cruises already in the past two years and really looking forward to our Alaska cruise. My only concern is disembark. Is this Government going to make us take a PCR test?  With 3,000 + people getting off the ship, I don’t think so.  Wait and see I guess. 

I think that's the issue really.  Most americans and europeans will have the option to disembark and leave the country as a transiting person and avoid testing perhaps, but I have no idea how much of the traffic is typically Canadian and if that would be enough to cancel the season again if testing requirements persist.

11 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We are booked on one of the first sailings out of Vancouver...Celebrity Eclipse April 23 to Honolulu.  I hope the antigen test will be sufficient to board (if it sails)!!

An antigen is all you need for Celebrity as of today, and I can’t see that changing to a PCR anytime. Should be easy enough for you to do that within 48 hours of boarding. It’s disembarking that is the concern for me at this point. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We are booked on one of the first sailings out of Vancouver...Celebrity Eclipse April 23 to Honolulu.  I hope the antigen test will be sufficient to board (if it sails)!!

I would think so (Antigen Test) prior to boarding. Entering Honolulu could be a different story:- https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/

Flying home from Honolulu to Canada requires a PCR test. 

Thank you so much Barwick and DHP1.  Yes, it's the arrival in Honolulu I am worrying about as well.  We want to stay there for 2 days and then fly to Kauai for a week and so hoping we can do that.

Yes, I was pretty sure we would need a PCR to return home as you need one here if you go across the land border to empty your PO box and you're gone only 15 mins!!  Such a stupid rule.  So, of course, we don't go.

9 hours ago, DHP1 said:

My concern as well ….disembarking ….will I need a PCR to fly back to Toronto .  

12 hours ago, WeExplore said:

Looks like the first ship in port is the Caribbean Princess on April 7th, although no times.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/vancouver-port-4?tab=schedule&month=2022-04#schedule

We are booked on the Grand Princess for April 19, LA to Vancouver so will have to wait and see if that goes. I have this sinking feeling that Canada is about to loose all Alaska cruising to Seattle forever if we keep messing with it.

• Like 5

On 2/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, gerryl12 said:

We are booked on the Grand Princess for April 19, LA to Vancouver so will have to wait and see if that goes. I have this sinking feeling that Canada is about to loose all Alaska cruising to Seattle forever if we keep messing with it.

I hope your sinking feeling is wrong 😑 but I’m feeling your thoughts too . 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Fouremco said:

Transport Canada has published an update of its Ship Safety Bulletin No.: 18/2021, modified February 1, 2022. The updated bulletin "outlines measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 from cruise ship operations. These practices must be implemented for cruise ship operations that continue, under restrictions, during the COVID-19 pandemic with Canadian ports of call."

While there is no information as yet on testing requirements for passenger visiting or disembarking in Canadian port, "Additional details on testing will be provided through periodic updates to this document."

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-february-1-2022

So, there is some movement and Transport Canada is clearly making some progress, but the major issue has not been resolved as yet. I would imagine that internal discussions on testing within the GOC and with the maritime provinces are ongoing, just as they are with the cruise lines.

another proof that the canadian gov't is not listening to industry professionals and other countries.  

On 2/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, gerryl12 said:

I specifically booked a RT Seattle itinerary for our May Alaska cruise, on a ship I knew was already crewed and sailing, just to avoid the uncertainty of what the Cdn govt will decide to do.  It’s harder to get from Toronto to Seattle than it is to get to Vancouver, but at least this way if Canada is closed to cruise ships again we’ll only lose the Victoria port stop.  And we aren’t planning to get off there anyway, since my mom and other relatives live just outside of Victoria, and we’ve been there tons of times.