DRINKING (VIRGIN) ON A CRUISE

Missymo

4 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I will usually let the bartender make his ""alcohol free specialty" after giving him my likes and dislikes.  They enjoy making those as much as for folks who ask for an alcohol full version.  And each bartender will have their own.  I get to try different drinks I may not have had before.  The fun of the unknown.

Agree! I became known as ‘Mrs Cannot Make Up her Mind’ by the sunset bar staff on one cruise because I wanted something new but was ‘dithering’ what to choose!

Very easy solution to just let the bar staff know what you like/don’t like and leave it up to them!

Reading the title is deceiving.  To me it doesn’t read as what are the non alcoholic drinks.  

The old corny joke back in HS was “What does a Virgin drink?”    Most times the answer was I don’t know and we would laugh.  At the time  it meant something and was valued.   Today it doesn’t .  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

8 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

Celebrity's "standard" non-alcoholic beer was O'Douls which is not very good.

You can make O'Douls so much better if you add a double shot to it.  🤣  On a serious note, soda water/club soda/sparkling water on the rocks with a lemon or lime can be quite refreshing.

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You can make O'Douls so much better if you add a double shot to it.  🤣  On a serious note, soda water/club soda/sparkling water on the rocks with a lemon or lime can be quite refreshing.

Lemon.  Limes are always dried out.  Why?  I often order a club soda with lemon when I can’t find Perrier.  San Pellegríno is not as good.

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Missymo  Thanks for starting the thread.   There are a lot of people who don't drink or are looking for good choices other than alcohol. 

While not officially a drink,   I love the Affagato at al Bacio.   A scoop of Gelato with chocolate syrup and a shot of espresso poured over the top.

I liked  that until you mentioned expresso. Oops, can't have the caffeine .But love the rest of it. 

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thank you for posting this list on non-alcoholic drinks or mocktails!  Anyway I tried to look up where the term "virgin" cocktail came from.  It is an interesting search if you care to find more info.

A little tongue in cheek  :During Prohibition,  people could no longer go out and order a Bloody Mary to drink. Instead, they would ask for a Virgin Mary, which was just plain old tomato juice. Referring to the drink as a Virgin Mary was a tongue-in-cheek way of clarifying that the customer wasn't ordering alcohol. 

10 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Jim, the Sutter Fre I've only found in the Retreat.  The wonderful sommelier on one cruise introduced me to it.  When I asked for it in the Yacht Club, they looked at me like I was crazy.  Non-alcoholic wine is apparently not a thing on MSC. 

Lilnda,  I'm surprised to hear that.   I've had it at Master Cellar on Millennium,  Luminae, Blu etc.   Often in Retreat they may or may not have it the first night but have it for the remainder of the cruise.   Unless I drank it all.  LOL.   Even on one cruise they had a couple bottles sent to my room. 

I really only like a glass with dinner or a glass at the bar.   It's nice to also have something for toasting with instead of a water glass.   Both at home and when on cruises I drink San Pellegrino or Coffee.  

I really don't like soda or other sweet drinks, but occasionally will have a Ginger Ale or an Ice Tea without sugar. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

5 minutes ago, josh1324342 said:

Does anyone know where you can get a good milkshake on Celebrity?  As someone that doesn't drink alcohol or carbonated drinks, I'm usually struggling to find something to use my beverage package on.

A virgin mudslide might be your best bet. I don't know where to find a milkshake. 

59 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I also don't care for the very sweet version of drinks and ask for little or no simple syrup. 

That's me, too. Yes, it seems that bartenders don't often believe me. I've learned to ask for them "skinny" if I'm ordering from a bartender that doesn't know me. 

I'm taking notes on all the suggestions and so thrilled to see that there are plenty of others who also don't indulge.  I used to so enjoy my wine and a gin and tonic but alas those day are gone.  For the most part I don't miss it but on a cruise - you want to feel part of the party.

Does anyone have a mock-tail recipe for a black or white russian?  It was my favorite last beverage of the night while on a cruise.   

2 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

I'm taking notes on all the suggestions and so thrilled to see that there are plenty of others who also don't indulge.  I used to so enjoy my wine and a gin and tonic but alas those day are gone.  For the most part I don't miss it but on a cruise - you want to feel part of the party.

Does anyone have a mock-tail recipe for a black or white russian?  It was my favorite last beverage of the night while on a cruise.   

Virgin Black Russian -   Not my favorite

Take 6 ounces of cold black coffee. (Add simple syrup to taste.) Pour over cracked ice in a rocks glass. Serve.

I had to google on a Virgin White Russian

image.thumb.png.38d3badcfc562166b9b5c65da96456c0.png

• 2 weeks later...