Feb 5-19 East-West Caribbean on the Reflection

Ken the cruiser

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s an interesting tidbit we learned from our head Luminae waiter this evening. The most suite passengers they’ve served at dinner on this leg in Luminae on each of the first 2 evenings has been 160. Normally, there are over 600 suite passengers served when the suites are sold out.

The reason I asked was because there were a total of 8 guests in the back half of Luminae this evening by the time we left at 6:50 pm.

Just want to say hi Ken! We had to cancel this cruise literally on the last possible day, sadly we had a death in the family and had to get back home.

Really wanted to meet you and pick your brain about Antarctica, we are hoping to go in early 3024.

We also lost our aft corner Sky Suite when we cancelled, I hope someone picked it up and is enjoying!

15 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Just want to say hi Ken! We had to cancel this cruise literally on the last possible day, sadly we had a death in the family and had to get back home.

Really wanted to meet you and pick your brain about Antarctica, we are hoping to go in early 3024.

We also lost our aft corner Sky Suite when we cancelled, I hope someone picked it up and is enjoying!

We’re of course very sorry for your loss, but would definitely have enjoyed meeting you as well. Maybe we’ll see you on one of the two Jan 2024 Antarctica cruises we recently booked on the Eclipse. That is unless we decide to book the Princess one in Jan 2024, which hasn’t been released yet, that starts in Chile, spends 4 days cruising around the Antarctica peninsula, then goes to Falkland Islands before ending up in BA! 😎

BTW if you ever want to discuss the wonders of Antarctica, just open a new thread and I as well as many others I’m sure will be more that happy to share all they know about that wonderful part of the world!! 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s an interesting tidbit we learned from our head Luminae waiter this evening. The most suite passengers they’ve served at dinner on this leg in Luminae on each of the first 2 evenings has been 160. Normally, there are over 600 suite passengers served when the suites are sold out.

The reason I asked was because there were a total of 8 guests in the back half of Luminae this evening by the time we left at 6:50 pm.

OK, I really need to start confirming what a crew person tells me before I post it on CC as gospel. I know, that usually never happens to anyone else! 😂😂

I just went and counted the number of suites on the Reflection deck plan I found on the Celebrity website, and now I have no idea how our waiter came up with 600 passengers eating dinner in Luminae when the suites are sold out. Maybe he was thinking of a total count on sea days to include breakfast, lunch and dinner.

In any event I came up with a total count of 111 suites. That equates to a max of only 222 passengers at double occupancy.

PH - 1, RF - 1, SG - 5, RS - 8, CS - 12, AS - 12, SS - 72

So if they served 160 guests at dinner either last night or the night before, it would stand to reason, considering the passengers of the 16 suites that didn’t show up on embarkation day plus those that ate at SRs, the suite cabins are pretty full.

So why were there only 8 guests in the back half of Luminae this evening by the time we left at 6:50 pm? I guess there were a lot of suite guests either eating late or dining at one of the SRs. In any event, it sure was peaceful and that’s a good thing!! 😎

Ken, I have been following your cruise since we booked last week a Sky Suite on the Aug 5 Reflection cruise from Rome. this cruise has all but 9 of the SS booked and your comments above about the Luminae not being crowded was nice news. On Equinox cruise last August with all but 2 suites occupied was also never crowded in Luminae.

This will be our first time on the Reflection and this cruise replaced an Oceania Baltic cruise we canceled. Our TA got us a really good deal and we saved $700pp on the Celebrity online price. We are following the Reflection with 6 land days and then a 14-night Greek cruise on the HAL Oosterdam.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

We have had 1 dinner,  1 breakfast & 1 lunch in Luminae so far this cruise.  We went to the Lawn Grill and the 1st night and Blu last night.  We may go to Luminae once or twice more.   We got to Blu about 7:45 and it was about half full.  When we left at 9 it was about 20% full. 

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Love it - hope that the ranks don't swell too rapidly for our 2/26 sailing!

I'm curious about something, which our shoreside concierge did not clarify for me (and I don't want to keep going back/forth with little things!), and that's the menu for Le Petit Chef. Our sailing is a 7 night (western) and she sent me copies of three menus for there. Might you be able to find out if there are actually three menus offered on a 7-night sailing, and possibly what menus to expect on the different evenings? We've never tried Le Petit Chef (would have preferred the former Qsine option!).

Menu #1 includes Lobster and a Filet

Menu #2 includes Ravioli and Steak Frites

Menu #3 (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter) includes King Crab pasta and a filet.

We'll likely give it a try on one night - just trying to decide which nights we'll choose what places.

EDIT - I just looked at the app, and it's showing nights 1-4 as being "menu #2" and nights 5-7 as "menu #1). Does the app typically reflect reality? I understand that change is always possible! Also, it appears that they have the menus for all nights in Luminae listed as well (again, pretty reliable)?

I'm honestly not sure how important it is to make reservations prior to sailing, or if they're able to generally get us a reservation "day of" for most places (we're in an RS if that has any bearing). We also like to dine early, and I've found the 6 pm spots are generally not as in demand as the later times.

THANKS,

Tom

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No problem. Just remind me before we leave a port(s) you’re interested in over the next 2 weeks and I’ll be happy to sit out on the balcony and take pictures during the sail away. It definitely adds to the fun! 😎

Thanks again for being so willing to help out.  I think leaving St Thomas today may be the only other option we'd have and since you're off to St Croix, and for now we'd be going over to San Juan the departure track may be different.  If you're back in your cabin and would be willing to snap a few photos like you did yesterday it would be great.  Even if we go to San Juan it would give me an idea how the exit from port looks.  Enjoy your day!

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Ken, since we will be on the Reflection in August, what is your overall impression on the condition of the ship, since the Revolutionizing was canceled? Are the Sky Suites in good condition?

Thanks,

Everything has been great without too much noticeable wear and tear and pretty much appears the way we remember it from our Jan 2019 B2B.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Love it - hope that the ranks don't swell too rapidly for our 2/26 sailing!

I'm curious about something, which our shoreside concierge did not clarify for me (and I don't want to keep going back/forth with little things!), and that's the menu for Le Petit Chef. Our sailing is a 7 night (western) and she sent me copies of three menus for there. Might you be able to find out if there are actually three menus offered on a 7-night sailing, and possibly what menus to expect on the different evenings? We've never tried Le Petit Chef (would have preferred the former Qsine option!).

Menu #1 includes Lobster and a Filet

Menu #2 includes Ravioli and Steak Frites

Menu #3 (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter) includes King Crab pasta and a filet.

We'll likely give it a try on one night - just trying to decide which nights we'll choose what places.

EDIT - I just looked at the app, and it's showing nights 1-4 as being "menu #2" and nights 5-7 as "menu #1). Does the app typically reflect reality? I understand that change is always possible! Also, it appears that they have the menus for all nights in Luminae listed as well (again, pretty reliable)?

I'm honestly not sure how important it is to make reservations prior to sailing, or if they're able to generally get us a reservation "day of" for most places (we're in an RS if that has any bearing). We also like to dine early, and I've found the 6 pm spots are generally not as in demand as the later times.

THANKS,

Tom

Since there are 3 Le Petit shows, that would make sense they would show one the first half of the cruise and then a different one the second half to increase the demand. However, I just looked at the App and couldn’t see a Le Petit menu listed for any day this cruise. So I’m glad you were able to find them on your search.

As far as the Luminae menu matching what they’ve actually served, it’s been pretty much on target so far.

I would think if you want to book early seating at a SR on a specific day, you should do it pre-cruise. I know my DW has to eat early, so that’s what we always do. Sure, there may be some nights where early SR seating is available once you get onboard. But I know with our luck, there wouldn’t be on the day we wanted. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garyl62 said:

Thanks again for being so willing to help out.  I think leaving St Thomas today may be the only other option we'd have and since you're off to St Croix, and for now we'd be going over to San Juan the departure track may be different.  If you're back in your cabin and would be willing to snap a few photos like you did yesterday it would be great.  Even if we go to San Juan it would give me an idea how the exit from port looks.  Enjoy your day!

I will try my best. Here’s what St Thomas looks like from the port side as we are approaching the port of Charlotte Amalie now.

image.thumb.jpg.78a48b12ed938da212183a6eabe9a6c0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good guess. We were told it lets the ship docking in front of them know where the front of the ship is. Go figure! I know, how would the pilot even be able to see the flag if it was backing up. 😂

But I was asking the crew member that was squirting our hands before we walked up the gangway. But before the end of our B2B I will get confirmation. I won’t be fooled again like I was when a crew member told us what NO TUG means when we were on the Constellation back in December. This is important stuff! 😂😂

• Thanks 2

It looks like the Allure of the Seas is going to join us here in St Thomas.

0A100E12-B4EA-4AAA-8A9D-AFB80D69B100.thumb.jpeg.e015fd532bb9b8265d9a1eafa32515f6.jpeg

We also had an ambulance arrive as folks were getting over to go ashore. It appears it was a non COVID issue as I didn’t see any hazmat suits when they transferred the older gentleman into the ambulance.

162E0381-6AB0-4D40-8652-AE8FF91EEB28.thumb.jpeg.236f26f183d7564f2d22c018c30b8161.jpeg

20 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were delayed about 45 minutes leaving due to the Waterfalls excursion bus being delayed in traffic. We’re on the port side in our corner aft-facing cabin, so I’ll try to take some view pictures for you.

Aft facing shot leaving the port at 4:25 pm.

image.thumb.jpg.b7b60e08b22b9b8af0cde9ea3c431fdc.jpg

Port side leaving the port.

image.thumb.jpg.d8db3585b481632fbb6391bb5d32379b.jpg

View off port side after clearing the pier with a view of wind turbines off in the distance.

image.thumb.jpg.3a6984d9e5b2ed5afef87fbf6a6c0687.jpg

But, unfortunately, the ship started turning starboard at 4:38 pm and this was the last view of land from the port side.

image.thumb.jpg.d9840b8010c7d3a6392a736772d13e53.jpg

I think you were referring to Puerto Plata DR when you said you were 45 mins delayed in departing?  Do you know if it was the cruise ship sponsored excursion to the Falls that was late?  Assuming so since they waited for them.

My group of 6 booked that through an independent tour co. when we are there in 2 weeks.  I have already heard it all "that's why we only booked through the ship..." etc. but with this particular excursion I read that the cruise sponsored groups don't get to jump at any of the 12 lower falls.  There are a few adrenaline junkies in our group We wanted to support a local business and have a better experience.  

That being said, I've read that only the bottom 7 falls are open right now anyway because of water levels.  Have you talked to anyone that did that excursion either through the ship or independently?

Thank you!

Glad to see some updates on Reflection. We canceled Jan 2 on Reflection and again canceled Feb 6 on Edge, only to book Reflection yet again in April. I'm having a little buyers remorse missing out on E Class this time around but happy to hear she's up to snuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for resolving that little piece of trivial miscommunication! @TeeRick, you were right, as usual! I kind of figured the “don’t hit when you’re backing up” flag sounded kind of bogus! 😂

Maybe I should apply to be a crew member!😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iluvthe-c said:

I think you were referring to Puerto Plata DR when you said you were 45 mins delayed in departing?  Do you know if it was the cruise ship sponsored excursion to the Falls that was late?  Assuming so since they waited for them.

My group of 6 booked that through an independent tour co. when we are there in 2 weeks.  I have already heard it all "that's why we only booked through the ship..." etc. but with this particular excursion I read that the cruise sponsored groups don't get to jump at any of the 12 lower falls.  There are a few adrenaline junkies in our group We wanted to support a local business and have a better experience.  

That being said, I've read that only the bottom 7 falls are open right now anyway because of water levels.  Have you talked to anyone that did that excursion either through the ship or independently?

Thank you!

Yes, that was at out last stop in Puerto Plata DR and it was a Celebrity excursion to the Falls. If I counted correctly, there were 23 passengers that made the trek. 

Unfortunately, we have not talked to anyone that was on that excursion. But maybe someone that is following this thread has, or better yet, went on the Falls excursion and can share their experience. 

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Glad to see some updates on Reflection. We canceled Jan 2 on Reflection and again canceled Feb 6 on Edge, only to book Reflection yet again in April. I'm having a little buyers remorse missing out on E Class this time around but happy to hear she's up to snuff. 

I saw when you canceled and I've been meaning to ask you a question for some time, but rather than taking this off topic, or going outside of CC rules, if you are willing to email me at GaryL62 with the suffix of @Aol dot com I'll ask you individually.  If you don't want to, no problem.