What is your favorite at specialty restaurants?

JuliaMS

We will have the UDP for the first time on our upcoming Navigator cruise (Izumi, Jamie's, Chops, Hooked, Playmakers). We have only been to Chops and it was a few years ago. What are your favorite things to order at Specialty restaurants? Great Desserts or apps? Can't miss entree?

Edited by JuliaMS

• JuliaMS changed the title to What is your favorite at specialty restaurants?

We sail primarily on Oasis class ships.  Our favorite specialty is 150 Park.  Jamies/Giovanni's are also high on our list.  Strangely, so is Johnny Rockets.  

Not a fan of Chops after numerous tries on different ships.  Service is just not up to expectations.  

1 hour ago, JuliaMS said:

We will have the UDP for the first time on our upcoming Navigator cruise (Izumi, Jamie's, Chops, Hooked, Playmakers). We have only been to Chops and it was a few years ago. What are your favorite things to order at Specialty restaurants? Great Desserts or apps? Can't miss entree?

Following! We too are on Navigator OTS in April and would love to see what people will say. (Purchased the UDP as well)

We are definitely going to abuse the UDP. Sushi snacks before dinner at Chop's, Jamies, or Hooked) Wings when ever we want at playmakers, as well as the helmet Sundays and campfire cookies for some deserts when ever we want. We will also take advantage of the apps at playmakers for snacks during the day, when open. 

Don't forget you get a nice lunch when you board the ship at a specialty restaurant as well as during sea days,.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Following! We too are on Navigator OTS in April and would love to see what people will say. (Purchased the UDP as well)

We are definitely going to abuse the UDP. Sushi snacks before dinner at Chop's, Jamies, or Hooked) Wings when ever we want at playmakers, as well as the helmet Sundays and campfire cookies for some deserts when ever we want. We will also take advantage of the apps at playmakers for snacks during the day, when open. 

Don't forget you get a nice lunch when you board the ship at a specialty restaurant as well as during sea days,.

Just got off Navigator. Classic double burger and tower of onion rings and the Goal Post Margarita extra spicy at playmakers, awesome lunch..

• Like 2

Did UDP on Nav last month and will again in March.  Did all the specialties multiple times and the only one that seemed repetitive was Jamie's.  

Izumi - Yaki Udon was our favorite.  I love fried rice and that was good too.  Combo sushi's were great.  Going multiple times meant trying different things and discovered the crispy sesame balls for dessert once I got sick of the Mochi.

Jamie's - this was the only one that got old.  We went here for lunch and dinner multiple times and just got sick of it.  Favorite dish was the Carbonara since it is my favorite pasta dish and not all Italian restaurants offer it.  They do offer a burger as change of pace.  I'll be happy if/when they switch it back to Giovanni's.

Chops - Went twice for dinner since we didn't want to overdo it on steak.  They have fish if you need a change of pace.  

Hooked - my son loved this place.  Tried everything, even the raw oysters.  I did the captains platter and the messy fish sandwich.  Favorite dish was the lobster mac and cheese side.  Coconut Cream pie was awesome.

Playmakers - We had been on the big ships with Playmakers, but never went there.  UDP on Nav introduced us and it's now one of our favorites.  Had lunch there about 5 times.  Loved the cookie dessert.  

Johnny Rockets - the sit down version is now gone and it is now counter service.  We skipped it since the burgers in the specialties are much better.

The Bamboo Room also had a limited food menu, but we didn't go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mil76 said:

Jamie's - this was the only one that got old.  We went here for lunch and dinner multiple times and just got sick of it.  Favorite dish was the Carbonara since it is my favorite pasta dish and not all Italian restaurants offer it.  They do offer a burger as change of pace.  I'll be happy if/when they switch it back to Giovanni's.

Is the menu the same at Lunch and Dinner? If the app is correct Jamies is open Day 1 and 2 for Lunch and Hooked also Day 2 (sea day) lunch.

On Anthem:

Chops - Bone-in rib steak with Bernaise sauce. Candied pepper bacon app. Crispy goat cheese salad. Very good.

I'm not picky about eating. Canned Chef Boyardee with melted Velveeta is good with me. However, I found the selections that I had at Jamie's (no seafood) were a disappointment. The Bolognese sauce had meat ground to a gritty consistency. The lasagne had no béchamel or ricotta. Bone dry and overcooked. The plank - no big deal.

However, their marscapone-lemon cheesecake was the bomb.

Last time at Giovanni's on Grandeur, I had the Carbonara and it was horrible.  I mentioned to the waiter and the chef came out.

They pre-make the Carbonara sauce and ladle it over the pasta.  If you really know Carbonara, that is NOT the way to make it.  Chef knew this, but was constrained by corporate directives.

The dessert cart was wonderful.

Chops, the filet is nice, and the sides are amazing.

At Izumi, anything. 😄

Edited by SRF

12 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

Is the menu the same at Lunch and Dinner? If the app is correct Jamies is open Day 1 and 2 for Lunch and Hooked also Day 2 (sea day) lunch.

Jamie's lunch menu is slightly different.  There are a couple of things on the dinner menu that are not offered at lunch.  Pretty sure the lamb chop is one of them.

We did Jamie's for lunch on the first day.  Not sure about Hooked for lunch.  We had it for dinner on day 2 so we didn't bother checking to see if it was open for lunch.

Unlike a previous poster, I don't care for Giovanni's much but DO like Jamie's.  Everyone has their own tastes.

At Jamies, don't miss teh dessert with the brownie and the salted caramel ice cream.  MMMMMM.  We usually got one to split and asked for an extra scoop of ice cream to get the porportions how we like them.

The arancinin appetizer is another hands down favourite of ours.  We never bother with the antipasta plate...but those arrancini, we get that every time we eat  there.

I like their truffle pasta a lot.  And, since I am not a beef eater, I often ask them to make me a burger but use chicken instead of beef...especially at lunch.  Delicious.  

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

Hooked was really good- the Chowder, the surf and turf and the brownie was amazing.  

At Playmakers on Symphony I really liked the poke nachos.  My parents weren't a fan of the onion rings.

Chops is good if you like steak, but aren't particularly picky about it. I dunno.  We like steak but aren't foodies and have never been disappointed. I don't like Italian food, so never was a fan of those restaurants.

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Impossible brand filet mignon, non-potato French fries served with a pine float and Arnold Palmer Oreos for dessert.  😊

Ok I love the humor and not many people mention the pine float.  I do this on land as a joke and tell the waiter if the pine never hits the bottom of the glass there is an extra $20 for them.  Usually teen servers as they don’t seem to have the motivation to take care of the tables as much.  Usually get good service when they know there is extra money at stake.  

22 hours ago, mil76 said:

Johnny Rockets - the sit down version is now gone and it is now counter service.  We skipped it since the burgers in the specialties are much better.

On the Oasis class ships Johnny Rockets is still sit-down service.