departure time

carlp

That is probably cutting it close, BUT the greatest news is that the airport and sea port are only about 10 minutes away.  IF you can carry on your luggage, that may help reduce your time in the airport.

IF you can get there earlier, that would be beneficial to you. For one thing, the sooner you get on the ship, the sooner your vacation begins!  There are plenty of activities to do on the first day on the ship!

Cutting it close. It's only a 15 minute taxi ride to the pier but if the plane is delayed good chance you will miss the ship.   I would not check luggage. Baggage claim can be very slow at FLL. You need to be at the port at 3 but on my last cruise I saw people arrive at 3:30.

Edited by franktown
add

This is very tight.  Doable as long as everything goes right, like no delays or cancellations in flights  Be sure you know what the latest time that you have to be on the ship--it is often 1-2 hours before sailaway.  A non-stop flight would be ideal.

It would be best not to check luggage.  Luckily the port is very close.

Is your flight domestic or international?  

If the plane lands on time and you do not have to clear Immigration and Customs, you should be fine.  (Even with baggage claim.)  Grab a cab or Uber by 2:45, and you should be in line for boarding by 3:00 p.m.  What day of the week?

Boarding at noon does keep the stress level down, and lets you start your vacation earlier!

International flight, I'd worry.

However, pre-pandemic, airlines had gotten quite efficient at "on time arrivals".  This has slipped of late.  With more and more pax being slowed up at security and at Covid screening, planes have been waiting in order to not leave those pax behind.  It equates to plenty of 20-30 min departure delays.  That may still be okay for you to make it, but a worry wart like me would not risk it.

Don

Gosh, I'm not sure I would risk that.  Wait, I know I wouldn't! LOL!  You did not give enough information for me to analyze the situation.  For instance, where are you flying from and is there a stop anywhere? That can make a huge difference.  If that flight is your only choice, maybe try flying in the night before.  No sense risking not making it on the ship.

• Like 1

In a perfect world with no delays you will be fine. However, the stress is not worth it. That is why we usually go in at least one day before the ship departs. It also helps if there is a time change so one can adjust. 

• Like 2

In this era of late/cancelled flights cutting it that close is nutz.  But I guess some enjoy living on the edge.  But consider a few things.  It can take 20 minutes just to get off an aircraft if one is seated towards the rear.  Even if your flight is only 1 hour late (not unusual these days) you would have a difficult time getting to the port on time..assuming that Princess stops embarkation by 3.  I do not know the current cut-off but we have been on some cruises where it was 1 1/2 hours before sailing time.  At FLL they need time to screen all the luggage before loading it on the vessel.

It can take nearly 15 minutes just to walk from some of the distant gates to the airport exit and then you may have another wait until you actually get a taxi.  A taxi to the port can easily take 20 minutes because of traffic plus a possible security stop at the main entrance gate to the port.

All this assumes you will not need to check any luggage in the aircraft.  At FLL it is not unusual to wait 30+ min for luggage to show-up at the carrousel.  

Hank

Check with Princess what is the latest flight arrival time they allow if booking flights with Princess EZAir.

If your independently booked flight is scheduled to arrive by that time, then Princess thinks your flight time is OK.

Of course if the arrival is delayed, Princess is not responsible if you miss the ship.

You might also want to book a Princess xfer from the airport to the ship. That way Princess knows to be looking for you at the airport. Yes, it will cost more than a cab ride.

It's plenty of time to make it if the plane is on time......and that's the big "if" that makes all the difference.

80% of flights arrive on time in the USA.....You have to hope you are not on the 20% (so that's not great odds to take when the alternative is missing the boat).

There was recently a question just like this. As others have stated, are you booked through Princess EZAir? Then they would most likely wait for you, but not necessarily. What time of year is this cruise?

Recently, some cruisers missed their cruise due to delayed and cancelled flights because of weather.

If the ship departs at 4:00 pm then you need to be onboard at 3:00 pm

Can you gather your luggage and be transported to the ship within an hour and a half or less?

We always fly in at least one day ahead except for Alaska cruises as we live in Washington State... much less stress.

Yikes, as someone has flown frequently out of both MIA and FLL, that’s not timing that I would do as I would be way too stressed.  Yes, the port is close but there can also be  a line going through security to get into the port which I’ve gotten stuck in before. I’ve also had to wait to have the plane use the assigned gate as well as waited about 30 minutes for my bags at FLL.   If your flight is delayed at all, it could make you miss the ship. 

Perfect scenario, your flight lands on time and you are one of the first off the plane.  Your bags are one of the first off and on the conveyor belt and you are on the line for a taxi at 2:00 to 2:15, at the port giving the porters your bag and at check in around shortly before 2:45  As last check in is 3:00 it doesn’t give enough wiggle room to make me comfortable but that’s just me. 

Are there an earlier flights?

On 2/11/2022 at 4:33 AM, caribill said:

Check with Princess what is the latest flight arrival time they allow if booking flights with Princess EZAir.

If your independently booked flight is scheduled to arrive by that time, then Princess thinks your flight time is OK.

Of course if the arrival is delayed, Princess is not responsible if you miss the ship.

You might also want to book a Princess xfer from the airport to the ship. That way Princess knows to be looking for you at the airport. Yes, it will cost more than a cab ride.

On 2/12/2022 at 2:13 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yikes, as someone has flown frequently out of both MIA and FLL, that’s not timing that I would do as I would be way too stressed.  Yes, the port is close but there can also be  a line going through security to get into the port which I’ve gotten stuck in before. I’ve also had to wait to have the plane use the assigned gate as well as waited about 30 minutes for my bags at FLL.   If your flight is delayed at all, it could make you miss the ship. 

Perfect scenario, your flight lands on time and you are one of the first off the plane.  Your bags are one of the first off and on the conveyor belt and you are on the line for a taxi at 2:00 to 2:15, at the port giving the porters your bag and at check in around shortly before 2:45  As last check in is 3:00 it doesn’t give enough wiggle room to make me comfortable but that’s just me. 

Are there an earlier flights?

On 2/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, carlp said:

plane lands in FLL at 1:30pm - ship leaves at 4pm

is that enough time to make to the ship - 

forgot exactly when you need to be at port- please advise

That's my scenario almost. Arrive FLL at 130 and checking closes at 400 so assume ship leaves at 5. Booked through EZ aire. Hoping for no delays and will be watching the weather.