ABC Isles, Grand Cayman, which one for a Snorkel

eltigre

We will be visiting the ABC Islands for the first time this Nov. and will only be able to snorkel at one of them. The Port Boards suggest,  including Grand Cayman, they all have good snorkeling. Which one and where would you choose if you could only do one?

Our interest is coral & fish and we prefer walk in from shore rather than a boat tour.  We are not strong swimmers but have snorkeled St. Lucia, Saint Martin, Hawaii.  

Also, is there a  recommendation for a sea scooter rental without the boat tour. Tried those once & really enjoyed them.

Appreciate any input

My opinion is Bonaire.  This is a private outfit walking distance from the pier and is always HIGHLY recommended here on Cruise Critic.   I believe they are limiting to 16 passengers for distancing.  You are snorkeling off the boat but they are very helpful and you will be fine even if not a strong swimmer.  You have to wear and inflatable vest and they have noodles you can float on.

https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

• Like 4

Another option is to rent golf carts from Bonaire Cruisers and explore on your own. We rented snorkel gear from Dive Inn right by the ship and had a blast. 1000 steps was great snorkeling, just the walk down those steps was a challenge.  After snorkeling, we drove around the island for the afternoon. I would add Woodwind was my alternative choice and would book next time for a different experience. 

Woodwinds gave us the best snorkle adventure we ever had, they provide wet suits, all needed equipment. They take extra time to make sure everyone is having a great time plus staying safe plus checking to see that the equipment is fitted for you.  My BIL does not swim but wanted to give it a try= safety vest, noodle and he just loved it.  They bring camera guy along and we got some fantastic pics. Snacks, light lunch and drinks were provided.  

• Like 2

Bonaire for sure.  For $20 USD round trip there is a water taxi that goes to Bonaire Klein (where most snorkeling tours go) but included in the fare you can get dropped off right at the reef and swim back to Bonaire Klein which generally takes 30-40mins then take the water taxi back to the mainland.  Amazon/Walmart/Costco sell snorkeling sets of masks and fins for $20 or less (I'm an avid scuba diver, expensive snorkeling gear is a waste of money unless you're going to be in strong currents and most snorkeling tours rent out the cheapest rental gear).  The benefit of doing this vs a tour in addition to saving some money you can still get in some world class snorkeling while having plenty of time after explore the island after.

https://www.watertaxikleinbonaire.com/

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Thanks 1

For snorkeling from shore, I would definitely agree Bonaire would be the place. For sites:1000 Steps (it's really about 79 steps 🙂 ) is fine, and popular, but, Oil Slick Leap which is south of there has better reef right to shore,  Also Weber's Joy which is immediately south of 1000 steps is good.  Karpata which is further north would be a great snorkeling site, but by that point the road (Queen's Highway) is one-way, so to get back to the port you have to drive to Rincon, and around.  South of the port most sites would be less interesting snorkeling as the reefs start a lite further out from shore.  My first thought for the southern sites would be Margate Bay, then the Salt Pier (only open if no ship is there), and perhaps The Lake.  But all the northern sites would be better than the southern for snorkeling. 

I agree withe the recommendation above to rent a vehicle and go on your own.  Please, Please, Please! If you rent a golf cart, the moment a car or truck comes up from behind, pull off the road, stop and let it pass.  This is best for your safety and the safety of everyone on the road; and it's best if people want the option of golf cart rental to tourist to continue. 

As I write this the book "Reef Smart Guide to Bonaire" is available on Amazon.  It's often sold out completely everywhere.  It's well worth the money for anyone snorkeling or diving Bonaire.  By reading it and looking at it's excellent illustrations, you'll be ready to snorkel as if you've got a guide to show you all the best spots, and the best part of each spot. 

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Smart-Guides-Bonaire-Snorkel/dp/1633539806/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3A0R71DSLJRX2&keywords=reef+smart+guide+bonaire&qid=1644776695&sprefix=reef+smart+guide+bonaire%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 2

We were in Bonaire last week and had fabulous snorkeling with Woodwind!!!! The water was quite cool, and after our first stop I asked for a wetsuit. It made all the difference, and I stayed very comfortable for the next 2 stops. We’ve snorkeled all over the Caribbean, and Bonaire with Woodwind was by far the BEST!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Bonaire. Try Woodwinds for excursion. Not a walk in however. 

Outstanding trip - it is essentially a float around Kleine Bonaire so I happily used pool noodle and felt very secure.  They even had masks with corrective lens that were so helpful.

• Thanks 1

Yet another vote for Bonaire.  In my younger days I used to scuba dive and after spending a week in Bonaire it was the standard against which I measured all other dives.  

Yes, diving is different than snorkeling but I saw enough to know that just snorkeling there is amazing.  

As a long time scuba diver and snorkeler who has spent a lot of time in the ABC's on holidays as well as cruises, let me join in with everyone else and say that if you are limiting yourself to one island for snorkeling, make it Bonaire.

While the Woodwind might not be your preference, as it's not a shore entry, you'll have a hard time finding as good a variety of marine life as you'll see with their guides. And one point that hasn't been mentioned is that they will divide you up into groups according to your experience and comfort level. As you aren't strong swimmers, this may appeal to you.

If you choose to go it on your own and choose shore entry, I'd echo @omeinv's thoughts and head north. All of the dive/snorkel sites are marked with a yellow stone along the side of the road and are easy to find.

Oil Slick Leap:

IMG_0923.thumb.jpeg.8018244a48f30532c3384496a1f65dd0.jpeg

1349059226_IMG_0936(2).thumb.jpeg.4d7dfd68257c26aa27b0568e40235524.jpeg

1000 Steps:

898355527_IMG_1149(2).thumb.jpeg.a3149308ec4b5323ee9ae4a767223702.jpeg

171724988_IMG_1150(3).thumb.jpeg.64295f42ddaa843791619ee73b02211d.jpeg

Karpata:

288800817_IMG_1324(2).thumb.jpeg.9ed336ff5e7da288ece01cd14111b1e6.jpeg

675968084_IMG_1325(2).thumb.jpeg.470bd66acc8b40dcb416d6356e105159.jpeg

1170401742_IMG_1339(3).thumb.jpeg.edad668c35367ffe33c592866e54be3f.jpeg

While going to Karpata means a longer drive back through Rincon, I think it's well worth the extra bit of time. 

As you aren't strong swimmers, at each of these sites swim in a northerly direction to begin with, then let the current assist you on your way back. It's not a strong current, but it's always better to swim against it while you are fresh.

Here's a newsletter from last week that talks about Bonaire:

https://2jncr.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/mr/cEohgezQmXIzMbF9sUCh44WTUT5w2KQTSWsq8pqXJhJU3hROPoeBL5f4Wixvfuuq9jeC7-3GHfbZw-9C-WfksxhVF0HbdSkVXPq7ZuCmi0K7Fkjtnv0rqaG-BqsxJCItwldkimTX

And here's a link from the newsletter for another book worth considering:

https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/bonaire-snorkeling-guide.html

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, eltigre said:

We will be visiting the ABC Islands for the first time this Nov. and will only be able to snorkel at one of them. The Port Boards suggest,  including Grand Cayman, they all have good snorkeling. Which one and where would you choose if you could only do one?

Our interest is coral & fish and we prefer walk in from shore rather than a boat tour.  We are not strong swimmers but have snorkeled St. Lucia, Saint Martin, Hawaii.  

Also, is there a  recommendation for a sea scooter rental without the boat tour. Tried those once & really enjoyed them.

Appreciate any input

I vote for Curacao or Bonaire. The Bonaire Cruisers Golf Cart is a good idea...we have done it a few times..Check out my youtube videos from the Equinox September 2021. We snorkeled both Curacao and Bonaire

Edited by SonuvaBeach