Upgrade offer - Feb. 23 Marina cruise

lj77346

15 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

So a 160 square foot inside cabin is the best cabin? Or is their website wrong about the size? And there's more to a cabin than the location.

In reality  I cabin  is nothing more than a place to sleep, a toilet near by and heat/ air  and  a place to store your stuff.     Anything above that is  gravy.     Sort of like Maslow's hierarchy of need.  

To some having privacy is luxury  if you ever experience's  included  travel with the Navy

new orleans 21 015.JPG

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I will never do an inside again    one & done

No matter how large & luxurious the cabin is

To each their own 😉

We were happy with Insides until we tried a Veranda.  Now won't give it up!  Even though we don't sit outside much, the view is terrific and laundry dries much faster out there!

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In reality  I cabin  is nothing more than a place to sleep, a toilet near by and heat/ air  and  a place to store your stuff.     Anything above that is  gravy.     Sort of like Maslow's hierarchy of need.  

To some having privacy is luxury  if you ever experience's  included  travel with the Navy

new orleans 21 015.JPG

Everyone has a zero-point to measure against.  In this case, it's the Navy experience, so I do see where you're coming from and understand from your description of what's important to you in a stateroom why you're happy with an inside stateroom.

I use the stateroom in a much different way, both as a private retreat and a place to relax with a drink, 🍸, breakfast, 🥓, dinner, 🦞, or simply relaxing (my spouse would say napping, 💤) while watching the ocean go by...all away from the maddening crowds. 

The best way is the way one likes.  As the old saying doesn't quite go:  If the shoe fits, don't throw it away. 👞

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We were happy with Insides until we tried a Veranda.  Now won't give it up!  Even though we don't sit outside much, the view is terrific and laundry dries much faster out there!

I am fine with a oceanview if I have a balcony cabin fine  but we are usually not sitting out there often

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Everyone has a zero-point to measure against.  In this case, it's the Navy experience, so I do see where you're coming from and understand from your description of what's important to you in a stateroom why you're happy with an inside stateroom.

I use the stateroom in a much different way, both as a private retreat and a place to relax with a drink, 🍸, breakfast, 🥓, dinner, 🦞, or simply relaxing (my spouse would say napping, 💤) while watching the ocean go by...all away from the maddening crowds. 

The best way is the way one likes.  As the old saying doesn't quite go:  If the shoe fits, don't throw it away. 👞

You missed my point which was  what the basic cabin function was.     Yes  you can always add more function as you  see fit and to your wants.    Like frosting on the cake.   However,   the cake is still just flour, egg and water upon which you build.     Too, having tried all the options on Regatta  I just did not get much more value out of any other cabin  on that ship.   Thats all   I found marginal differences other than a view in even PH on that ship   And why spend a lot  and get a poor return?.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

You missed my point which was  what the basic cabin function was.     Yes  you can always add more function as you  see fit and to your wants.    Like frosting on the cake.   However,   the cake is still just flour, egg and water upon which you build.     Too, having tried all the options on Regatta  I just did not get much more value out of any other cabin  on that ship.   Thats all   I found marginal differences other than a view in even PH on that ship   And why spend a lot  and get a poor return?.

And maybe you missed my point: It's a personal decision as to what is a poor return on investment.

• Like 1

We cruise in a PH on Sirena in March and an inside on Riviera in December. December is a Christmas voyage so expecting to be out and about and not really noticing the lack of space.

I’ll be happy to not be at home in the rain doing the dishes and travelling around to see relatives I don’t really want to;) 

• Haha 2

We're fortunate that just about any room is fine with us. BUT, of course who wouldn't prefer one of the nicer suites if money was no object, alas, but it is. 

We did 32 days in an inside on Marina. No real problems. We did buy an alarm clock/light made by Phillips that has a simulated sunrise. Over a predetermined time the light gets progressively brighter. It helps wake you up slowly. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I actually thought that it was against both Oceania and Azamara (the only two cruise lines I have sailed YET) policies/rules to dry laundry on one’s veranda? 😉

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I actually thought that it was against both Oceania and Azamara (the only two cruise lines I have sailed YET) policies/rules to dry laundry on one’s veranda? 😉

It is, for safety reasons and to prevent the ocean from becoming a laundry repository fueled by the wind.

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I will never do an inside again    one & done

No matter how large & luxurious the cabin is

To each their own 😉

Me either.

We chose an inside cabin once to save money. I ended up stuck in the cabin for much of the cruise with influenza. Just having some natural light, let alone fresh air, would have been a blessing.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, smj said:

Yesterday we received an unexpected cabin change. We were moved from deck 7 to deck 8. We were told that  our booked cabin would be unavailable “due to evolving technical needs”.

On the Riviera February 7 cruise my travel agent was informed of the same thing (they called it an operational issue) at 3:00pm on a Saturday with a Monday sailing.  They wanted to move me to an A1 Concierge and call it an upgrade.  Since I had specifically booked a B3 with extended balcony, to me that was not an upgrade but rather a down grade.  While looking down from my new Deck 9 room, I did notice only one extended balcony B3 being occupied on the aft starboard deck.  I can only assume that perhaps the other rooms were being held for quarantine purposes.  Who knows.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, CAG said:
On 2/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, smj said:

Yesterday we received an unexpected cabin change. We were moved from deck 7 to deck 8. We were told that  our booked cabin would be unavailable “due to evolving technical needs”.

On the Riviera February 7 cruise my travel agent was informed of the same thing (they called it an operational issue) at 3:00pm on a Saturday with a Monday sailing. CAG

Is it possible you both had the same cabin #?  Did either of you meet anyone else who had the same thing happen?  I'm wondering if it's just one cabin.  Looking down from Deck 9, there could have been people on the those balconies under the overhang that you wouldn't have seen.

I ask because I am in an extended B3 balcony in May and I wouldn't be pleased with a last minute change like that.

10 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Did you go with the upsell or keep the extended balcony?

We had no choice. We were "upgraded" because they said our cabin was unavailable. So we were supposed to be in a concierge cabin, but then we got the "upsell" to a PH for less than the original PH price, so we took it. It was a mistake for us. The extra room was nice but not necessary and our butler was completely inattentive and since the cabin attendant thought the butler was taking care of us with things like ice it was not a great experience. We didn't even see him the last three days of the cruise. We should have made a big fuss but that's just not us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lorimay said:

We had no choice. We were "upgraded" because they said our cabin was unavailable. So we were supposed to be in a concierge cabin, but then we got the "upsell" to a PH for less than the original PH price, so we took it. It was a mistake for us. The extra room was nice but not necessary and our butler was completely inattentive and since the cabin attendant thought the butler was taking care of us with things like ice it was not a great experience. We didn't even see him the last three days of the cruise. We should have made a big fuss but that's just not us.

Ya.... I felt the same..    Butler did nothing but show up and drop off a snack at 3...   Whoopie.   To be honest, my wife felt like  he was an intrusion ,a  5th wheel.    I guess he serves to elevate  peoples  ego or something of having a servant to order around.   Having someone to do things that you could do about as well, just because he was there  seemed rather arrogant to me.   

Not my  cup of tea

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I guess he serves to elevate  peoples  ego or something...

No.  He is there to enhance the cruise experience by relieving you of tasks you'd normally have done.  Be positive and try enjoying him rather than just dismissing him. 

Edited by Silver Sweethearts
  • Like 1

Currently on the Feb. 23 Marina cruise in an extended balcony on deck 7. However, it appears that anything on deck 7 forward of the aft elevators is not available as both the odd and even corridors are blocked at that point and signs indicate that only authorized personnel can enter that area. However, if you are in a cabin aft of that area it appears that many extended balcony cabins are occupied.