Starting January 1 2023 all travelers to certain countries in Europe must register first

gailellen12

3 hours ago, Storylady said:

Does this mean we have to submit  Etias for each European country we visit on a cruise?

No.  It’s for visiting countries in the EU.  So, one submission and good for 3 years or until your passport expires (whichever comes first).  Europe had announced this a couple of years ago IIRC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kazu said:

It’s for visiting countries in the EU.

Not quite!  It is for visiting countries within the Schengen Zone.  There are countries in EU who are not in the Schengen Zone (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania).

Also, very important to note that UK is not in Schengen or EU. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Not quite!  It is for visiting countries within the Schengen Zone.  There are countries in EU who are not in the Schengen Zone (Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania).

Also, very important to note that UK is not in Schengen or EU. 

Oh right.  Forgot to be more specific.  Thanks for the clarification.

My TA thinks the airlines will have to take care of making sure this is followed as you would be flying into Europe. I e-mailed him back (and am awaiting his response) as we fly into London with the UK not being part of the EU. And then we sail into several countries that are part of the EU starting with the Netherlands. (The cruise is in the summer of 2023.)

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My TA thinks the airlines will have to take care of making sure this is followed as you would be flying into Europe. I e-mailed him back (and am awaiting his response) as we fly into London with the UK not being part of the EU. And then we sail into several countries that are part of the EU starting with the Netherlands. (The cruise is in the summer of 2023.)

I don't think anyone has a clue what the requirements will be this summer let alone next summer!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I don't think anyone has a clue what the requirements will be this summer let alone next summer!

If you have been reading the thread, this is the requirement that was originally supposed to be put in earlier, but is now scheduled for 2023 that I was referring to. It is not a Covid protocol, but rather a substitute visa.

Europe’s ETIAS Travel Authorization to Launch in Early 2023 (afar.com)

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If you have been reading the thread, this is the requirement that was originally supposed to be put in earlier, but is now scheduled for 2023 that I was referring to. It is not a Covid protocol, but rather a substitute visa.

Europe’s ETIAS Travel Authorization to Launch in Early 2023 (afar.com)

Oh my gosh! My apologizes!  I've been flipping through the different threads and forgot which one I was in!

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

fly into London with the UK not being part of the EU.

The ETIAS is not an EU requirement, but a Schengen Zone requirement.  Your 'Port of Entry' will be your arrival port/airport in Netherlands and that is where you will need your ETIAS.  As I mentioned in post #11, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania are not currently within the Schengen Zone, so they may require separate entry requirements if your trip includes them.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

If it's run the same way as Australia,  which has a very similar system, the traveler is responsible,  the airline just makes sure you have one, by checking your passport.  The travel authorization is attached to your passport record digitally. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I was hoping they would hold off until 2024 after all my European cruises.

I wonder if we need paperwork and or phone copy.

You will do it online, pay a small fee, and the travel authorization will be attached to your passport record. Your airline will check your passport recwhen you board, and the country you are visiting will check it at Passport Check. This is all the same way Australia does their very system. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is all the same way Australia does their very system. 

The same way as USA does for the ESTA system and Canada for their eTA.

And very similarly to all of above, beware of agents who will 'obtain' your document for a substantially inflated price.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If it's run the same way as Australia,  which has a very similar system, the traveler is responsible,  the airline just makes sure you have one, by checking your passport.  The travel authorization is attached to your passport record digitally. 

Yes, that is exactly what my TA wrote back when I first e-mailed him. However, he has not answered my second e-mail where I pointed out that we would not need it for the airline as we fly into London which unless things change would not need it as the UK is not part of this. We then go to several countries that would need it starting with the Netherlands and then Belgium, Norway, and Iceland.

Also does anyone know for sure that this applies to cruise passengers who are generally considered in transit?