Anybody ever make a 9:20AM flight debarking in Fort Lauderdale?

tabprincess

I wouldn't want to risk it without a backup plan that wouldn't cost me any extra money. When I disembarked last weekend, the earliest group for walk-offs left around 7:30. I'm not sure how long it took that group to make it through Customs and Immigration. I stayed on until after 9:00, right after they made the announcement that anyone still on the ship should leave.

The earliest we booked a flight was 10:00.  We were at the airport at 8:10 doing walk off.  I took the risk because it was a non stop flight that got us home at a decent hour.  It helped that the cruise ended on a Friday, I'd really have to think about a Saturday/Sunday departure.  Not gonna lie, it was a bit stressful until we got to the airport, but I'll also admit to possibly doing it again. 

• Like 2

Honestly...  just because someone may have "beat the odds" and made an early flight, that will have NO bearing on whether YOU will!  Different dates, different days, ships in port, TSA, weather... all factors in your "roll of the dice!"

• Like 5

2019 - made a 10am to NY - Would NEVER do it again and we didn't book it friends did. Everything went near perfectly and that's the only reason we made it. Not worth the stress IMO.  Few other ships in port (week day), self debarkation, car service actually at the front curb not waiting far from the door, short line at airport and traveling with handicapped person so we jumped the TSA security line which wasn't long but long enough was going to be closer. Have a backup plan.

I agree 11am is the earliest. We just flew from FLL airport and the security lines were backed up even for pre check....it was even backed up to check in luggage....even though the port is a few minutes away, it is not worth the stress.

Just off Sky yesterday. I had a 10 am flight and had 1 hour to spare.

If everything goes perfectly you can make this, ealiest walk off was 7:05 am.

However do you really want to deal with the added stress? 1 little hiccup and you miss your flight.

Edited by pathi

The earliest we've ever made it was for an 8:30 AM flight.  We didn't book that flight but were there early so, were able to switch to it.  We weren't checking any luggage.  

The most stressful was an 11:45 AM flight which we barely made because of a delay in disembarkation.  We ran to the gate and made it just in time to board the plane.  Thank goodness we had booked first class or would have never made it through security in time to catch the flight.  

50 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

Thanks for all your input!  I have decided to not risk it.  Our flight doesn't leave until 9PM!   That will be a long wait at the airport, but at least there will be no stress getting off the ship.

Check on ezcheck when you get on the ship. If they have it and your airlines participates, it is the best way to finish the cruise.  Have your flight info and confirmation number with you and get the paperwork from guest services. They will get your luggage the last night and you will not see it until you get to final destination. Yes, it cost $ but so worth it! You will also get boarding passes. We have done this every cruise and did it this past January on the Sky Princess. 

10 minutes ago, Loverofdogs said:

Check on ezcheck when you get on the ship. If they have it and your airlines participates, it is the best way to finish the cruise.  Have your flight info and confirmation number with you and get the paperwork from guest services. They will get your luggage the last night and you will not see it until you get to final destination. Yes, it cost $ but so worth it! You will also get boarding passes. We have done this every cruise and did it this past January on the Sky Princess. 

You used it in January of 2022?

We inquired and were told it hasn't restarted yet. (Also January of 2022 - Fort Lauderdale)

2 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Thanks for all your input!  I have decided to not risk it.  Our flight doesn't leave until 9PM!   That will be a long wait at the airport, but at least there will be no stress getting off the ship.

@tabprincessDo not wait at the airport!  On many airlines you can't even check in your bags (and yourselves) until 3 to 4 hours before departure.  As recommended by @pathiabove, check luggage at bags to go (www.bagstogo.net). They need to be picked up by 5:30 pm.  An alternative is to get a day room at a local hotel.  Check out the Florida Departures board for a list; this topic comes up fairly frequently. 

1 hour ago, chamima said:

We inquired and were told it hasn't restarted yet. (Also January of 2022 - Fort Lauderdale)

1 hour ago, chamima said:

Yes we used it on our cruise in January 2022. We disembarked on January 22, 2022 from Sky Princess. I had to check with guest services about it, as they had always left the paperwork in our cabin pre covid.  Got the paperwork from them( guest services) and had to be returned by Wednesday ( 19th) at noon.