Covid Testing Change Coming?

jhannah

According to Cruise Industry News, Holland America has said they will no longer make masks mandatory throughout the ship, and "Additional flexibility for pre-cruising testing requirements will become available." Since Carnival and Princess have just said they are moving the pre-cruise Covid testing from two days to three days prior to sailing, I am hoping this is what they're talking about. Reverting to the three-day timeline will take lots of pressure off those of us who fly into the embarkation city early. I'm hoping we have the extra day before our sailing in four weeks.

Edited by jhannah
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• jhannah changed the title to Covid Testing Change Coming?
30 minutes ago, jhannah said:

Princess have just said they are moving the pre-cruise Covid testing from two days to three days prior to sailing

Do you have a link for this?  Their web site still says two days but changes are coming.  Nothing official as yet.

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I think I'll just wait for some official news rather than just more speculation.  One might think people would be tired of trying to anticipate any of this since it's only been going on for almost two years now! 😊

True, but if you have a cruise coming up and are waiting to make a test reservation it does become important.

• Like 3

With regard to testing, why was self-certification testing via approved at-home testing kits (non-supervised) not considered or considered and not allowed? I'm sure a methodology with real enforceable penalties for fraud could be developed.   Just wondering....

14 hours ago, KirkNC said:

They should test at the pier on their dime, anything else is pretty useless.

My TA described her recent NCL procedure.  She was tested, antigen, at the pier.  If anyone tested positive they were then given a PCR test.  She said the double test, both costs borne by NCL, seemed to prevent anyone from being needlessly left ashore.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My TA described her recent NCL procedure.  She was tested, antigen, at the pier.  If anyone tested positive they were then given a PCR test.  She said the double test, both costs borne by NCL, seemed to prevent anyone from being needlessly left ashore.  

That’s a good process.  I know Azamara also does pier antigen testing on their dime.  Not sure if they do a PCR follow up if positive.

On CCL (not corp) testing deadlines are now based booster status. 

From today's Cruise Industry News cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26843-carnival-cruise-line-updates-covid-19-testing-requirements.html

"For cruises departing March 1 or later, if a guest is vaccinated and has had their booster vaccination, they will need to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours (or less) from their cruise departure date. If a cruise starts on Saturday, for instance, a guest can test on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

If a guest is fully vaccinated but is not yet for their booster shot they must test 48 hours (or less) before the cruise. This means if a cruise starts on Saturday a guest must test on Thursday, Friday or Saturday."

• Like 1

Riddle me this:  I was reading Carnival's new testing policy.  If you have had documented covid (3 month window) then you don't need a test, however if you are fully vaccinated you do need a test.  What?   How does that make sense.  Maybe I am just confused.

Carnival's policy.   https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

Edited by Mary229

16 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Riddle me this:  I was reading Carnival's new testing policy.  If you have had documented covid (3 month window) then you don't need a test, however if you are fully vaccinated you do need a test.  What?   How does that make sense.  Maybe I am just confused.

Carnival's policy.   https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

Because if you have been infected and recovered during the last three months the efficacy against reinfection, especially since during that window the odds are you have gotten the current strain, is very high (90%)

Where as vaccination without booster is only around 40% efficacy against infection.  About 70% with booster in last four months.

Also if you have recovered from an infection during last 3 months some chance of a false positive with PCR.

25 minutes ago, smbt1 said:

Because if you have been infected and recovered during the last three months the efficacy against reinfection, especially since during that window the odds are you have gotten the current strain, is very high (90%)

Where as vaccination without booster is only around 40% efficacy against infection.  About 70% with booster in last four months.

Also if you have recovered from an infection during last 3 months some chance of a false positive with PCR.

I have not seen where anyone has boarded the ship with a positive test and their letter from the heath care provider stating the  individual has been cleared to end isolation and has been cleared for travel. 

I hope this is as simple as it sounds.  My husband and I are both recovering now from Covid and board the Rotterdam in April for the transatlantic to Amsterdam.  I sure hope we have no trouble with this.  As of right now, I think some countries are requiring a PCR to get off the ship. 

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

When we sailed the Dawn in December that was the procedure.  We tested negative on the first try.