Cunard vs. RCCL

Giantfan13

We are experienced cruisers and have cruised on many cruise lines, but our favorite now is RCCL. Now that cruising seems to be getting really going again, we were looking for a decent cruise for this spring or summer and saw some nice deals on the Queen Elizabeth which we would love to try.

Without any knowledge of Cunard and its ships and differences as to other cruise lines, what would be some of the main differences?

We have cruised other lines like MSC which are geared towards Europeans, and we liked it a lot, though it was nothing like what we might refer to as an American cruise line like RCCL.

One thing in particular we were concerned about is dining. My DW and I really aren't from the 'formal' crowd. We dress nice for dinner, like no jeans and a real shirt for me and a nice pair of slacks and top for my wife. Is that appropriate for dinner on Cunard? On formal nights is dress up mandatory?

Any other helpful hints would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

Yes what you describe would be fine on smart causal nights(which is most of them) - a lot of people here go on about jackets - but they are no longer required. Except on formal nights where a dark suit will do.  The formal dress covers most of the ship including the theatre but excludes the pub and the buffet /Lido . And yes you need to dress up to  be elsewhere in the ship.   People here will talk about ballgowns - but I wear a long black jersey dress which is about   30 years old with a variety of different shrugs, wraps to make it look different. We  fly in - not hauling bags and bags of clothes with us! 

We are very informal in real life too - but cruising isn't really real life . We like Cunard for the ballroom dancing, the good speakers, the lack of children, the lack of waterslides, the 2 decent sized pools with plenty of deck space. For that I'm prepared to make my partner buy a pair of decent chinos rather than the joggers he prefers otherwise LOL. 

• Like 3

We've been done RCCL cruises on two of their smaller Radiance class ships (Brilliance and Serenade) sailing out of Europe. Those ships are comparable in size to Queen Elizabeth.

You will find Cunard is more British/UK than American in its atmosphere and generally in the mix of passengers on board. Naturally if you are considering a QE cruise calling at US ports (one of her Alaska cruises for example), the passenger mix will be weighted more toward American/Canadian than would otherwise be the case. I'll let someone who has actually been on such a QE cruise comment in more detail about that.

Some of the RCCL staples you won't find on Cunard ships are attractions such as rock climbing walls, water slides, poolside games and movies under the stars. What you will find are amenities such as a large well-stocked library, engaging enrichment lectures by experts in their fields, ballroom dancing and afternoon tea done well enough to impress this American.

As @lissie has mentioned, what you describe for your intended attire sounds appropriate on the "Smart Attire" evenings now that jackets are no longer required for gentlemen on those evenings. The formal "Gala Evening" dress code is enforced in the main dining rooms. Those evenings do require at least a dark suit with tie for gentlemen. The alternative is to dine at the Lido buffet or use room service.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

As @lissie has mentioned, what you describe for your intended attire sounds appropriate on the "Smart Attire" evenings now that jackets are no longer required for gentlemen on those evenings. The formal "Gala Evening" dress code is enforced in the main dining rooms. Those evenings do require at least a dark suit with tie for gentlemen. The alternative is to dine at the Lido buffet or use room service.

Is it a recent change regarding the jackets?

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Jackets had been optional for gentlemen on embarkation days in the Mediterranean for several years. Then they became optional on Smart Attire evenings for Australia/New Zealand itineraries and on some of the Alaska itineraries. That became a permanent change to the Smart Attire dress code with the resumption of service this past summer.

For reference, here are the current dress code definitions spelled out in daily programmes posted by contributors to this forum.

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

A far cry from even 2008 when a 6 day crossing on the old QE2 was dark suit and tie on the first and final night but black tie required after 6pm for the rest of the evenings. 

8 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We have cruised other lines like MSC which are geared towards Europeans, and we liked it a lot, though it was nothing like what we might refer to as an American cruise line like RCCL.

I've always found Cunard to be a nice blend of British and American tastes. They certainly have played up the English heritage in the past few years- it was more subtle in the past. There are less of the newer gimmicks of RCCL as others have mentioned-- Queen Elizabeth has a more traditional shipboard feel and is much clubbier than anything I've ever sailed with RCCL. 

8 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

One thing in particular we were concerned about is dining. My DW and I really aren't from the 'formal' crowd.

As others have mentioned the dress codes in the dining room have been relaxed over the past years but the overall dining experience is still more "formal" than RCCL, less pronounced in Britannia Restaurant, but certainly is much more formal (and vastly better food than anything RCCL offers) in the Grills which cater to guests in the suites. 

Unlike RCCL the level of accommodation on a Cunard ship will dictate your dining room and dining experience. RCCL has Coastal Kitchen for suite guests but this isn't really comparable to the Princess or Queens Grill experience that come with separate a la carte menus, special ordering, and table side preparation. If having a less formal dining experience is important, being in Britannia Restaurant accommodation would be best.

Cunard does offer alternative specialty dining but no where near as many options or variety as RCCL does. The Verandah Restaurant is almost like an extra charge lite version of the Grills for those in Britannia and has a steakhouse menu. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Jackets had been optional for gentlemen on embarkation days in the Mediterranean for several years. Then they became optional on Smart Attire evenings for Australia/New Zealand itineraries and on some of the Alaska itineraries. That became a permanent change to the Smart Attire dress code with the resumption of service this past summer.

For reference, here are the current dress code definitions spelled out in daily programmes posted by contributors to this forum.

Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

I would say, however, that whether jackets are required or not, I wouldn't venture in to the restaurants without one, as the air conditioning can be quite fierce.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

A far cry from even 2008 when a 6 day crossing on the old QE2 was dark suit and tie on the first and final night but black tie required after 6pm for the rest of the evenings. 

I first did a TA on QE2 in 1997, and neither then nor at any time after was black tie required. A dark suit was always acceptable on formal nights, though those who went that way were a very small minority.

Hi Len

Maybe I can give you some insights since I love Royal Caribbean and Cunard. Yes, they are both different. 

Royal Caribbean is my choice for a shorter more casual cruise… as you know, it is fun, very lively, and they give a good solid product every time for a good price. We absolutely love what they have done with Coco Cay and have a great time with their food, entertainment, and friendly service.

Cunard is my favorite cruise for a longer voyage with ports.

Cunard is a very special experience… it is very relaxing, I learn so much in the outstanding lectures, and it is beautiful after 6pm because of the dress code.

I did not find it too formal or snobby in the least.  We both love it.

I think we love them both BECAUSE we acknowledge that they are completely different experiences… and we embrace the one we are on for what it is.

Here are things that I see as differences

- Cunard will be a more subdued experience than Royal… that does NOT make it boring… but it will be calmer. We found this fact to be amazing

- People will be more dressed up at night on Cunard than Royal with most following the dress code extremely well… which again makes it special and unique… but you will see a range in how much people go all out with the formality. I don’t find it stressful, I find it refreshing

- Cunard has amazing ways to learn on board- including lectures with great guest speakers which are always attended well… I find this so interesting

- If you enjoy cocktails, both Royal and Cunard have great ones. My husband likes the cocktails on Royal Caribbean better and I like the cocktails on Cunard better. Hahahaha! Again, I think it goes to the style and theming of the two different brands. My husband loves the super fun drinks on Royal and I love the gorgeous ones on Cunard

- Food… I would say that Cunard gave us more variety in the food choices in the main dining room. It is quite lovely. I had fabulous dinners every night.

BUT that said… I eat a wide variety of things… my husband is more picky. I think he likes the food on Royal better, honestly, because he likes things like their French Onion Soup, Spaghetti Bolognese, and their Caesar Salad always offered on Royal. My husband also prefers the Windjammer buffet on Royal to the Lido buffet on Cunard. The buffet on Cunard is quite good… but he likes Windjammer better.

I say give Cunard a try… you might be like us- you may love both RCCL and Cunard. We do!

😊

• Like 5

We sailed on RCCL 4 times and Cunard once.

Entertainment on RCCL is fantastic, but the ships became too large for our taste. At this point ~3,000 passengers is the maximum we would tolerate.

Lectures on Cunard were absolutely fantastic. Food a little bit better. Much more formal, but I hear they relaxed it a bit now, which is good (wearing jackets every night was a bit annoying).

Overall an excellent experience. We will be doing TA on QM2 in May.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Just during the Pandemic, but this to change as/when the COVID conditions allow.  The new Anne will be the casual Cunard ship.

Jackets have not been barred, it is still an option for those who wish to uphold the Cunard traditions, such as the unofficial dress code on TAs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just during the Pandemic, but this to change as/when the COVID conditions allow.  The new Anne will be the casual Cunard ship.

Jackets have not been barred, it is still an option for those who wish to uphold the Cunard traditions, such as the unofficial dress code on TAs.

It's perfectly fine to have jackets as an option. For us it was a bit too formal to wear a jacket every night. I think the overall trend is to relax the dress code, and I'm glad that Cunard is following the trend.

Just to be perfectly clear - I think people should dress nicely and respectfully for dinner, no jeans etc. But nice trousers with a collared shirt is respectful, and will allow forks like us to enjoy the Cunard experience. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I think the jackets optional just for the pandemic may be wishful thinking. I have never seen a carnival step towards more formal.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

It's perfectly fine to have jackets as an option. For us it was a bit too formal to wear a jacket every night. I think the overall trend is to relax the dress code, and I'm glad that Cunard is following the trend.

Just to be perfectly clear - I think people should dress nicely and respectfully for dinner, no jeans etc. But nice trousers with a collared shirt is respectful, and will allow forks like us to enjoy the Cunard experience. 

How do you keep warm if you don't wear a jacket?

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

How do you keep warm if you don't wear a jacket?

Well, it's one thing to wear a jacket to keep warm, but having to wear it as part of a dress code is completely different. It's good to have an option not to wear it, especially in warm countries.

I don't recall the dining room on Cunard being colder than other ships, and I never wear a jacket on other ships.

Just now, Windsurfboy said:

I think the jackets optional just for the pandemic may be wishful thinking. I have never seen a carnival step towards more formal.

Agree, Carnival will never take a step towards a more formal dress code because of it’s known demographic.  But this is Cunard, with the casuals getting their own dress code ship with Anne, thereby leaving the three true Queens and their dress codes alone.

Has the 'der

47 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree, Carnival will never take a step towards a more formal dress code because of it’s known demographic.  But this is Cunard, with the casuals getting their own dress code ship with Anne, thereby leaving the three true Queens and their dress codes alone.

Has a dress code already been published for the new ship?

8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Has the 'der

Has a dress code already been published for the new ship?

As one is aware, nothing has been “published” regarding the dress code, along with who will be the new Captain, who will “open” the ship, the Senior positions (above/below decks), what the “opening” crew will be, who will be the “opening” guests, who will be the naming invitees etc.  But?

But Carnival own Cunard , and even Cunards path has been towards less formal albeit at a slower pace

Don't  see the Queen Anne having it's own dress code.

It would be very confusing , and unknown for any main stream cruise line to have different dress codes for different ships.

Cunard at moment can't publish a consistent dress code for one cruise line across its various web sites, never mind different ones for different ships

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

Thank you all so very much for all the insight into some of the differences between RCCL and Cunard.

As has been said several times about Cunard being a bit more 'formal' in its approach to everything--that would suit us fine. We definitely aren't from the 'party' type people and have always preferred to find a nice quiet corner somewhere and just sit and watch the ocean. On many 'newer' ships, that is getting harder and harder to do. 

I am 76 and when we started cruising, getting 'dressed up' for dinner was great, but as we have aged it has become more of a hassle. As I have said, we also frown on the jeans for dinner and have never adopted to that, but I think the last time I have worn a tie to dinner was when my son got married. If we do book, we will conform though.

Again, thanks for all the great info and it does sound like something we would want to experience. 

Cheer

Len

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question with regard to non evening dress.  Are people more dressed up during the day than on other cruise lines.  Generally I take two pairs of joggers and jeans for daytime wear on a cruise.  Will i need to "smarten up" on the QV next June for the North Cape cruise?

11 minutes ago, ladyariadne said:

I have a question with regard to non evening dress.  Are people more dressed up during the day than on other cruise lines.  Generally I take two pairs of joggers and jeans for daytime wear on a cruise.  Will i need to "smarten up" on the QV next June for the North Cape cruise?

Without knowing what a jogger is, no, you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, ladyariadne said:

51 minutes ago, ladyariadne said:

Jogging pants.  Guess that might be a U.S. term.  Sorry.😉

Regarding the joggers, I would suggest to smarten up. Inside, for meals, lectures, tea and more, they are not ideal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ladyariadne said:

Jogging pants.  Guess that might be a U.S. term.  Sorry.😉

No idea what jogging pants are here in the US , but sound a bit too casual for Cunard indoor daytime activities , but certainly permitted.

Edited by MCC retired