Any tips on how to get the app to work?

Carnevale

Both my DH and I are having the same problem - when we open the app it shows up and then flips very briefly to a picture of just the background (the same), comes back to the page that was open, flips away again, and so on.  There’s no way to use it.

If anyone has experienced this and found a solution I would really appreciate hearing from you.  Our cruise isn’t until October but I would enjoy being able see our booking.

Do you have internet access turned on for your device?

Is this a fresh installation of the Medallion app?

Did you have it installed previously?

Is it running on Android or IOS?

Which device model.

Edited by brisalta

THE NUMBER ONE TIP:  IGNORE THE DANG APP!

Seriously. If the app doesn't work for you just forget about it and don't stress. Staff will check you in at the pier. They know and understand that it doesn't work for a bazillion people. Don't stress out. Don't let it "get to you". It's not your fault!  (I used to tell people that over and over at work. They were used to IT people with zero skills, zero intelligence, and zero people skills. They were used to people who yelled at them because the IT person had zero IT knowledge and "needed" to cover their own lack of knowledge and ability by blaming the users.

The app is badly designed and badly implemented. It's not your fault. Please don't let it make you crazy. Cruising is supposed to be a relaxing thing. Breathe in. Breathe out. Let it go. Far too many people are being needlessly stressed by this stupid app. As the (admittedly dorky) song says, "Don't worry. Be happy."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

After seeing the multitudes of posts about problems with the app (this is my first time on Princess) I waited to download and didn’t expect it to work.  It didn’t.  Instead, I checked in on their web version.  I have allocated zero hours to find a workaround for poorly executed technology.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

THE NUMBER ONE TIP:  IGNORE THE DANG APP!

Agree.  It's been a train wreck for us (first time Princess cruisers).  We've given up and are looking forward to a great cruise without the app.   Wish we could recover the time we've wasted trying to get it to work but not "investing" any more time in this fools errand. 

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

They were used to IT people with zero skills, zero intelligence, and zero people skills. They were used to people who yelled at them because the IT person had zero IT knowledge and "needed" to cover their own lack of knowledge and ability by blaming the users.

I used to want to scream when these supposed IT wizards used to tell people asking for help "Have you tried unplugging your computer and plugging it back in?" 🙂 

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

I used to want to scream when these supposed IT wizards used to tell people asking for help "Have you tried unplugging your computer and plugging it back in?" 🙂 

I fully understand where you're coming from...but as a retired IT guy you would be amazed at how often a simple reboot clears up a whole lot of issues.

• Like 4

I got it to work on explorer yesterday but not chrome. Back off today. I ass-u-me this is partially due to Princess being Princess, changing promos today, changing A LOT of itineraries due to new Canadian cruise rules + Russia. It'll be back later so here's what I'm doing (yes, impacted by both)::

1. Come back later today

2. Check a different browser (safari, etc)

And yes, I deleted browsing cookies before giving up

Edited by Ombud

Just got back from Princess cruise.  

Gave the app five minutes to work at home, well, maybe ten.  Stopped trying.  Knew by these boards I could check in at the pier without the app.  

Did so.  Fast and easy.  Medallion works fine on board.

Listen to what many are telling you.  Don't stress.  Simply go on your cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I fully understand where you're coming from...but as a retired IT guy you would be amazed at how often a simple reboot clears up a whole lot of issues.

I just lost all the cruises I have booked on my app.  I closed the app, shut down my iPad and powered it back up ... bingo!  All my cruises were restored in there.  

In the beginning, I just deleted the app and reinstalled it.  Since then, it worked ... until today but that was an even easier fix.  

Most important as others have said if you can’t get the app working don’t stress. You can show up at the port and go to the Blue Lane and check in with your passport, negative Covid test and Covid vaccine record. 

If you want to try and get the app working you can contact the Ocean Medallion team by emailing askoceanmedallion@carnival.com when you email them include the details of the issue you’re having, your booking number, date of voyage, birthdate, name, device type and operating system. 

You can also use the web version instead of the app. To access the web version log on to Princess, click on booked guests, click Oceanready instructions. Scroll to the middle of the page and you will see try our web version. See below.

B14EE2D2-3005-4157-8CCD-115578BB60BA.thumb.jpeg.cca900aaec65aee2c237105234de8cb0.jpeg

18 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I had this same situation happen.  I'm assuming your operating system is too old on your phone.  Anything iphone 6 or below will not work.  I bought a brand new phone just for Princess.  Any chance they might give me some OBC credit for the phone?

Most likely I had nothing to do with the phone or OS the phones running on (unless it’s really old).  Most people are experiencing the same issues, even with current gear.

• Like 1

Like many others I had a terrible time with Medallion.  I thought I finally thought I had it worked out, but the night before our cruise my iPad showed that I was in the yellow line because I hadn’t chosen my medallion band while my iPhone showed me in the green lane group 1. DH was in the green lane. I never got a Medallion, but DH did. When we got to check in, most of my info was on DH’s medallion. His passport was on mine.  They had to make new ones for both of us. Neither of them worked.   We got another set of new ones. Mine worked, DH’s didn’t. His4 th one finally worked.   In other words,  Medallion still needs lots of work, and I think it’s far more bother than it’s worth.  Even  today I had to give my cabin number and name when leaving the ship in St.Thomas which one else near me did. 

• Like 1

I was having trouble getting started on the app so I called Princess on their 800# number, there is a option for Medallion app issues. The call was answered right away and a nice lady set the whole thing up fo me. This was last Friday afternoon. I’ve since been able to make dinner reservations and purchase a WiFi package for my upcoming cruise on the app.

Many thanks to all who replied.  I'm sorry if my original post created the impression the app was creating stress.  I learned a very long time ago that stressing over tech isn't worth it but I do like to research solutions and have found the user communities are usually a very good source of suggestions.  Since I didn't hear from anyone who had encountered the same problem and found a solution I'll give Princess a call.  I know they are (or at least of late have been) very busy but I don't see a way of resolving this without having to call.

Thanks again!