Cocktail suggestions for Pinot Grigio drinker

We_like_to_cruise

Hi,

I prefer a nice single malt scotch despite my wife's complaints that it "smells like gasoline".  (We won't get into her unsophisticated taste buds 😆).

She will occasionally have a glass of Pinot Grigio.  

This arrangement worked fine when we were paying for our drinks on our own.

But, now we have upcoming cruises with P+ and a wide open beverage package for her to explore.

Any recommendations for drinks she might consider ?  We have looked at some of the posted online drink menus and gotten some ideas, but really interested in personal experience from a white wine drinker.

Thank you.

• Like 1

For new cocktail drinkers I usually recommend something on the sweeter side, something like a dacquiri, a whiskey sour, or a moscow mule might be good options.  If she's a pinot grigio lover you might also look for things that are citrusy (flavored martini with vodka and lemon or orange flavors might be a good fit). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Any recommendations for drinks she might consider ? 

I'm not really sure if I can curate a list of beverages that would map over to the taste preference of someone who enjoys Pinot Grigio, but I would offer that if she has the PBP included with P+, then she might want to taste her way through the White wines by the glass that are offered on board.  From the most recent wine list that I have seen, there is a single Pinot Grigio, Attems Pinot Grigio, and several other wines that mirror the body, weight, acidity and brightness of a Pinot Grigio, as well as a number of options that might veer toward the slightly sweeter side or the slightly weightier side.  She might find that the Martín Códax Albariño is right in her wheelhouse.  Of course wine preference is personal, but I'll take an Albariño over a Pinot Grigio every time, if I am looking for a light-bodied, refreshing white.  There are three Sauvignon Blancs, and I tend to think of Sauv Blancs as Pinot Grigios with a graduate degree.  The French and American (Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fumé and  Silverado Sauvignon Blanc) should fall within her range, while the NZ wine (Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc) will likely trend toward slightly sweeter with slightly raised residual sugar. (I have not actually tried this wine, and am generalizing from my overall experience with NZ Sauv Blanc.)  Moving to the "even more sweet" options, (though not candied by any stretch...well, except for the last wine in this grouping), would be the Laurenz V. Singing Grüner Veltliner (a/k/a "Groovy") and the Gunderloch Red Stone Riesling.  The Groovy should tend to resemble the Pinot Grigio profile slightly more than the Riesling, but both will be a tad sweeter than her usual choice.  Finally, in this class, would be the Conundrum White.  This is a somewhat controversial wine due to its overt sweetness from the inclusion of Semillon and Muscat.  It is vinted to appeal to casual drinker, and there is nothing wrong with that.  But wine snobs turn their nose up at it as a fruit cocktail sold as wine.  If she likes sweetness, she will enjoy this.  If she shuns sweet wine, she would want to stay clear of this.

In the category of weightier whites, you move into the Chardonnay grouping.  There is an unoaked version on the list that might be up her alley.  That is the La Chablisienne La Pierrelée Chablis.  If she hates "over-oaked Chardonnay", then this is her wine as it sees only stainless steel and no oak.  If she doesn't mind some oak, then the other options may suit her.  None are clownish oak bombs. These would be Domaine d'Aussières Chardonnay (just OK in my view, not my favorite),  Decoy Chardonnay (pretty much a right-down-the-middle Chard), and Mer Soleil Chardonnay (by far and away my preference among these three.)

All in all, this cruise may be a great opportunity for her to explore an entire wine list at no financial risk. It doesn't sound like she is at any risk of topping out on her 15 drink per 24 hour period limit.  So if she orders something and it is not to her liking, just order something else.  And if you casually mention to the bartender that "I've never tried a [fill in the blank with the varietal] before. I'd like to try the "X Wine", and she takes one sip and mentions that she does not care for it, any bartender worth his/her salt will replace the unconsumed glass with something else gratis.  So there really is no risk here.

Sorry if I'm not coming up with drink options, but I thought that a tour of the wine list might be somewhat helpful.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm not really sure if I can curate a list of beverages that would map over to the taste preference of someone who enjoys Pinot Grigio, but I would offer that if she has the PBP included with P+, then she might want to taste her way through the White wines by the glass that are offered on board.  From the most recent wine list that I have seen, there is a single Pinot Grigio, Attems Pinot Grigio, and several other wines that mirror the body, weight, acidity and brightness of a Pinot Grigio, as well as a number of options that might veer toward the slightly sweeter side or the slightly weightier side.  She might find that the Martín Códax Albariño is right in her wheelhouse.  Of course wine preference is personal, but I'll take an Albariño over a Pinot Grigio every time, if I am looking for a light-bodied, refreshing white.  There are three Sauvignon Blancs, and I tend to think of Sauv Blancs as Pinot Grigios with a graduate degree.  The French and American (Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fumé and  Silverado Sauvignon Blanc) should fall within her range, while the NZ wine (Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc) will likely trend toward slightly sweeter with slightly raised residual sugar. (I have not actually tried this wine, and am generalizing from my overall experience with NZ Sauv Blanc.)  Moving to the "even more sweet" options, (though not candied by any stretch...well, except for the last wine in this grouping), would be the Laurenz V. Singing Grüner Veltliner (a/k/a "Groovy") and the Gunderloch Red Stone Riesling.  The Groovy should tend to resemble the Pinot Grigio profile slightly more than the Riesling, but both will be a tad sweeter than her usual choice.  Finally, in this class, would be the Conundrum White.  This is a somewhat controversial wine due to its overt sweetness from the inclusion of Semillon and Muscat.  It is vinted to appeal to casual drinker, and there is nothing wrong with that.  But wine snobs turn their nose up at it as a fruit cocktail sold as wine.  If she likes sweetness, she will enjoy this.  If she shuns sweet wine, she would want to stay clear of this.

In the category of weightier whites, you move into the Chardonnay grouping.  There is an unoaked version on the list that might be up her alley.  That is the La Chablisienne La Pierrelée Chablis.  If she hates "over-oaked Chardonnay", then this is her wine as it sees only stainless steel and no oak.  If she doesn't mind some oak, then the other options may suit her.  None are clownish oak bombs. These would be Domaine d'Aussières Chardonnay (just OK in my view, not my favorite),  Decoy Chardonnay (pretty much a right-down-the-middle Chard), and Mer Soleil Chardonnay (by far and away my preference among these three.)

All in all, this cruise may be a great opportunity for her to explore an entire wine list at no financial risk. It doesn't sound like she is at any risk of topping out on her 15 drink per 24 hour period limit.  So if she orders something and it is not to her liking, just order something else.  And if you casually mention to the bartender that "I've never tried a [fill in the blank with the varietal] before. I'd like to try the "X Wine", and she takes one sip and mentions that she does not care for it, any bartender worth his/her salt will replace the unconsumed glass with something else gratis.  So there really is no risk here.

Sorry if I'm not coming up with drink options, but I thought that a tour of the wine list might be somewhat helpful.  

Thanks so much for your informative input.

Yes, that is another thought - to branch out from the "house" Pinot.  You made many good suggestions. 

This may be the first cruise where she dozes off in the Princess Theater before I do !

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PhotoGal07 said:

For new cocktail drinkers I usually recommend something on the sweeter side, something like a dacquiri, a whiskey sour, or a moscow mule might be good options.  If she's a pinot grigio lover you might also look for things that are citrusy (flavored martini with vodka and lemon or orange flavors might be a good fit). 

Sounds like a great plan, thank you.

I would recommend the fruity type drinks and flavored vodka martinis as mentioned above.  Mojitos are good.  I don't like too sweet so if I go fruity I  usually go with mango.  Kiss on the lips is mango and strawberry daquiri or miami vice that is pina colada and strawberry daquiri.  With the package, it' a great time to explore.  She can even tell the bartender what she likes and they will create something for her!

• Thanks 1

If you are going on a ship that has Vines (most of them do), they have wine flights that are included in the package (if over, you just pay the difference) and you can even ask the bartenders there to include wines that would appeal to a pinot grigio fan.  Or, try something a little different, you never know what she will like.  I found some of the options in the flights to be really good.  Plus, they are fun to try with the tapas they serve.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm..

As a Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio wine drinker myself.....I would go the other direction of most posters. Most of the Pinot Grigios I have had have been on the drier side, not the sweeter side....though it can really vary. I don't like fruity sweet drinks. 😳 So, to start with, you have to find out from her if she likes things sweet or not sweet.  If she has Plus, it will be a fun experiment. 😊

On Princess, one of my favorite wines is Connundrum, which is a white blend. 

My drinks of choice are Vodka Gimlet, Beverly Hills Iced Tea and Bloody Marys. I do like to try out some new things too when I have Plus.

Happy experimenting!

• Thanks 1

I often drink Talisker 10 onboard so I know what you mean by your wife not liking the smell. 😁 You may suggest she try a Lemon Drop. My wife loves them but, then again, she isn't a white wine drinker... The great thing about the beverage package is your wife is free to sample whatever she feels like sampling and, if she doesn't care for it, there is no necessity that she drink the thing. She can simply try something else. Princess has a truckload of "martinis". It seems if they put it in a martini glass they call it a martini.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Princess has a truckload of "martinis". It seems if they put it in a martini glass they call it a martini.

Because I am always looking for something to offend me, this is a personal gripe.  If it has vodka or rum, it is NOT a martini.  

I see that no one has mentioned a drink that is almost candy, a sloe gin fizz.  When I was a pre-teenager, this was my go-to drink.  Now, it would probably put me into some kind of system failure from all the sweetness!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a pinot grigio fan as well, and my other go-tos are sancerre and prosecco, and for mixed drinks a vodka sour. Have been known to drink a reisling or two as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Hmmm..

As I don't like fruity sweet drinks.  😊

On Princess, one of my favorite wines is Connundrum, which is a white blend. 

Interesting. Conundrum tends to have a residual sugar level around 3.2 - 3.5 while a typical Chardonnay will check in at 1.5 - 1.8.  No matter. Just follow two rules. Drink what you like; and Experiment to find out what you truly like. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Seeing that you have Princess Plus she should feel free to just try items at random to see what she likes. She is not obligated to finish drinking a drink.

I agree.

However as Pinot Grigio is one of my favourite wines I'd suggest she try a Lemontini first, then maybe an Aperol Spritz, an Italian Sunset, a Negroni, or a Sidecar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Do Regal, Royal, Majestic have Vines? I looked at Deck Plans and could not find it.

I know there was one on the Majestic .. it was a full sized bar.  I understand that the new Discovery doesn’t have Vines, though.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brisalta said:

She is not obligated to finish drinking a drink.

That's what my husband does. 

Orders a new drink, tastes it & passes it to me to finish lots of times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm also a Pinot Grigio fan, and I agree that many of the drinks suggested here are way too sweet for someone whose wine tastes lean toward the dry.  My go-to is the London Lemonade.  This is not nearly as sweet as a Lemon Drop -- no sugar; it literally tastes like tart lemonade.  It's no longer on the menu, but pre-pause, any bartender in Crooner's or Wheelhouse seemed to know how to make it (plus I think the recipe was still in their little black book).  And you can never go wrong with a gin (Bombay Sapphire) and tonic -- the little black dress of drinks. 

• Thanks 1