QE dress code canundrum

BTwurddle

I’ll be sailing on QE in June to Alaska on a 10 night sailing from Vancouver. This will be my first sailing with Cunard. Previously I’ve traveled with Crystal, Azamara, Celebrity and Holland America primarily with a few others earlier on. While I’m looking forward to the prospect of a quieter, more formal cruise experience I do have questions regarding well, the formality.

Im a 40 y/o man from Texas and the kind that perpetuates the image of what people not from Texas think people from Texas look like. For formal events here I typically dress in black starched denim jeans, nice shirtsleeves and a fine silk blazer ( along with all the sparkly bits…mirror shined boots, silver buckles, Diamond cuff links, topped off with a formal Stetson hat. (No eye rolls, they are a “thing.”)

Im fully aware while here fine black denim is considered more formal than wool trousers and I’m planning on having some made in a more suitable fabric for this trip. While I take pride in a collection of pocket squares I loathe a tie since I don’t see a practical purpose they serve and the always seem fiddly. That said, worn with a vest they aren’t so cumbersome. My concern is will my particular style be deemed offensive to any of my fellow passengers? I admit outside of this area the look can appear a bit “campy” but it’s a product of our culture. Im hoping to find the middle ground where I can be comfortable and myself without detracting from someone else’s experience or disrespecting Cunard’s traditions.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all, happy sailing.

1 hour ago, BTwurddle said:

I’ll be sailing on QE in June to Alaska on a 10 night sailing from Vancouver. This will be my first sailing with Cunard. Previously I’ve traveled with Crystal, Azamara, Celebrity and Holland America primarily with a few others earlier on. While I’m looking forward to the prospect of a quieter, more formal cruise experience I do have questions regarding well, the formality.

Im a 40 y/o man from Texas and the kind that perpetuates the image of what people not from Texas think people from Texas look like. For formal events here I typically dress in black starched denim jeans, nice shirtsleeves and a fine silk blazer ( along with all the sparkly bits…mirror shined boots, silver buckles, Diamond cuff links, topped off with a formal Stetson hat. (No eye rolls, they are a “thing.”)

Im fully aware while here fine black denim is considered more formal than wool trousers and I’m planning on having some made in a more suitable fabric for this trip. While I take pride in a collection of pocket squares I loathe a tie since I don’t see a practical purpose they serve and the always seem fiddly. That said, worn with a vest they aren’t so cumbersome. My concern is will my particular style be deemed offensive to any of my fellow passengers? I admit outside of this area the look can appear a bit “campy” but it’s a product of our culture. Im hoping to find the middle ground where I can be comfortable and myself without detracting from someone else’s experience or disrespecting Cunard’s traditions.

On every voyage there is always at least one lad who stands out for his attire. Why no let it be you. Be the talk of the ship. If I ever get around to finishing my book on the 2008 QE2 world cruise it will be filled with such characters. Only No jeans period. and the hat will have to remain off indoors. Other wise go for the Texas look.

Edited by Lakesregion
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BTwurddle said:

I loathe a tie since I don’t see a practical purpose they serve and the always seem fiddly. That said, worn with a vest they aren’t so cumbersome.

Bolo tie?

I have even known a Cunard Cruise Director wear one on formal nights.

To be honest we have been cruising with Cunard since 1997 and never seen anyone on the ship wearing a Stetson hat never mind in MDR. Cunard are generally very strict on Formal nights with regards to dress code i.e. Dinner suit/Tuxedo or dark suit and bow tie/tie and less strict on the rest where jackets or ties are no longer required. Having said all that I have always been taught that it is not good etiquette to wear a hat at the dining table.

Unless you are an active member of the armed forces and performing official duties, under no circumstances should a gentleman wear a hat indoors at any time. It really is the height of bad manners.

Similarly, ladies may wear hats at lunch and afternoon tea, but certainly not at dinner. 

9 hours ago, BTwurddle said:

As I have seen chaps wear wonderful and flamboyant takes on a formal outfit on a Gala night in QG over the years  [not on a crossing I must add],  obviously none  have been refused entry into the restaurant.

National dress is encouraged and although it's pushing the envelope, I suppose your Texan dress whilst not National, could at a pinch, fall into this bracket. I think denim totally unsuitable  Gala wear and it's a wise decision to have trousers made in a more suitable fabric.

I have no idea on Stetson etiquette  and so don't know if it's usual to wear one inside but if it is acceptable to a Texan,  I would say remove it when sitting down anywhere. 

I guess it depends how much you mind being stared at, either in admiration or amazement or disdain. I'm sure at least once I have seen people at the restaurant entrance be advised by the manager they might like to amend their dress.

incidentally, while I appreciate a tie may not serve a practical purpose,  do boots and a hat indoors on a ship?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Unless you are an active member of the armed forces and performing official duties, under no circumstances should a gentleman wear a hat indoors at any time. It really is the height of bad manners.

Similarly, ladies may wear hats at lunch and afternoon tea, but certainly not at dinner. 

Are you sure your audience thinks the word “gentleman” means what you are talking about?   There are a lot of folk who believe it simply identifies an authorized user of a bathroom fitted with stand-up urinals.

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you sure your audience thinks the word “gentleman” means what you are talking about?   There are a lot of folk who believe it simply identifies an authorized user of a bathroom fitted with stand-up urinals.

Speaking as one who has had to avert my eyes when  heading for a stall whilst using a 'communal' facility, I think distinct authorization  has flown out the window for some facilities already.  😄

Thank you kindly for your replies. 

Stetson hats have their own set of protocol regarding wear and certain styles are in fact appropriate in of doors after sunset. The assumption or implication made by several that I would wear a hat while seated at table is baffling. Now I can imagine being asked by another guest if I took time to wash my hands after walking in on my knuckles.

Thank you all again. I’ve decided to cancel this voyage and stay with one of the lines I am more familiar with. While my original concern was that I might possibly detract from another passengers experience a few of these responses have made me aware a pre-disposition to my appearance by some of my fellow pssengers would greatly detract from mine.

Happy sailing everyone.

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

As I have seen chaps wear wonderful and flamboyant takes on a formal outfit on a Gala night in QG over the years  [not on a crossing I must add],  obviously none  have been refused entry into the restaurant.

National dress is encouraged and although it's pushing the envelope, I suppose your Texan dress whilst not National, could at a pinch, fall into this bracket. I think denim totally unsuitable  Gala wear and it's a wise decision to have trousers made in a more suitable fabric.

I have no idea on Stetson etiquette  and so don't know if it's usual to wear one inside but if it is acceptable to a Texan,  I would say remove it when sitting down anywhere. 

On an entirely light hearted and friendly note, “Texas dress” may not be as hard a push of the envelope as one might think. We were after all a sovereign nation of our own once upon a time, albeit for a very short time. In fact our federal government acknowledges this in a subtle nod to us. In the United States congress residents of any state are referred to as “citizens of the state of…”

Texans are referred to as “the people of the state of Texas.”  

I absolutely love seeing other passengers in national dress on special evenings. For me it’s a reminder dignity is a measure of effort, not material. 

Just now, BTwurddle said:

On an entirely light hearted and friendly note, “Texas dress” may not be as hard a push of the envelope as one might think. We were after all a sovereign nation of our own once upon a time, albeit for a very short time. In fact our federal government acknowledges this in a subtle nod to us. In the United States congress residents of any state are referred to as “citizens of the state of…”

Texans are referred to as “the people of the state of Texas.”  

I absolutely love seeing other passengers in national dress on special evenings. For me it’s a reminder dignity is a measure of effort, not material. 

I was about to answer your pervious post but I'll edit it to this one.

I'm sorry you see fit to cancel. Yes you might have startled one or two guests with your 'National' dress but it would be perfectly acceptable as long as it was slightly adjusted.

Pertaining to National, to this ignoramus  'National' is a reference to a whole nation. The fact Texan dress is considered National is a 'local rule' which again, this ignoramus had no idea about. 😃

As to your bafflement re hats and being seated, to be fair, as the majority of us [well, me] have no idea of Stetson protocol, how are we to know removing it whilst seated was part of the protocol?

Do think again about your cancellation decision. I'm sure you'd enjoy Cunard and your mode of dress would certainly liven up a Gala evening.

I think your only legitimate concern is "Denim" and as you have said an alternative material may put you entirely within the code apart from you will need a bolo tie to conform to the wording.  I have seen passengers wearing Western Tuxedos, Ascot Grey tail suits with top hat. Huge variation of people who have made the effort and are also within code.  You might look different from the vast majority but I should not worry.  In terms of looking a bit camp, quite a few guys on Cunard are actually camp and nobody worries about it. Scottish men often wear kilts but have to have fake skean dhus tucked down the sock to comply with security. These guys have been noticed by me as disrupting the drinks service where the drinks waitresses all want a selfie with the guys.  In terms of American National dress as opposed to tuxedo, just what would that be?  I am thinking all the indigenous American people regard themselves as coming from different nations with different modes of dress. I say go for it!

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

I have just completed a two week cruise with Cunard and not once did I wear my formal wear. As others have said there are formal nights where men are expected to wear a Tux but only if you want to eat in the main dining room. I personally prefer to eat in the Lido self service dining where you can wear what the hell you like. Having said that, my recent cruise had 3 formal nights, a traditional Gala night, black and white, a second Gala night red and gold and a third 1920's theme night. I have also been on cruises where the theme night was Caribbean, cowboy and others. Look at the cruise you were considering and see if your Texan outfit would fall in line with one of the evenings.

As regards denim, there is of course denim and denim in so much as work denim and designer denim not ripped or bleached. Nothing wrong with denim, after all many ladies trousers are made from denim type material especially coloured trousers and black denim is very difficult to see it is denim at all.

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I was about to answer your pervious post but I'll edit it to this one.

I'm sorry you see fit to cancel. Yes you might have startled one or two guests with your 'National' dress but it would be perfectly acceptable as long as it was slightly adjusted.

Pertaining to National, to this ignoramus  'National' is a reference to a whole nation. The fact Texan dress is considered National is a 'local rule' which again, this ignoramus had no idea about. 😃

As to your bafflement re hats and being seated, to be fair, as the majority of us [well, me] have no idea of Stetson protocol, how are we to know removing it whilst seated was part of the protocol?

Do think again about your cancellation decision. I'm sure you'd enjoy Cunard and your mode of dress would certainly liven up a Gala evening.

Hats come off at tables inside and after dark. It’s actually in the cowboy Bible though not as popular of a translation as King James.

It appears in the book of Jon-Roy 11:22 - And a Voice spoke from the hay loft saying “andst thou shalt remove thine hat from thine head and thine spurs from thine feet before sitting to supper.”

For reference purposes it’s also repeated in the book of Barns, Ranches I & II and the gospel of Emma-Mae. 

🤠

Edited by BTwurddle
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, BTwurddle said:

Hats come off at tables inside and after dark. It’s actually in the cowboy Bible though not as popular of a translation as King James.

It appears in the book of Jon-Roy 11:22 - And a Voice spoke from the hay loft saying “andst thou shalt remove thine hat from thine head and thine spurs from thine feet before sitting to supper.”

For reference purposes it’s also repeated in the book of Barns, Ranches I & II and the gospel of Emma-Mae. 

🤠

No hats inside but why not substitute a formal pair of pants, black with the silk strips down the sides.  Then you can wear your boots and all the rest…including a bolo tie with a gaudy clip!  I keep a set of outrageous vests, think riverboat gambler, to jazz up an otherwise mundane tux.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summergee said:

Please don't cancel based on a couple of negative replies. Dress code questions are always causing arguments.

They always do but Cunard has a very strict dress code for Formal nights and even if you dont use MDR and use buffet and dress casually there will only be limited areas around the ship where you will be able to visit afterwards. It seems a shame to miss so much of the ship and the atmosphere just because you dont want to wear a dark suit and tie.

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They always do but Cunard has a very strict dress code for Formal nights and even if you dont use MDR and use buffet and dress casually there will only be limited areas around the ship where you will be able to visit afterwards. It seems a shame to miss so much of the ship and the atmosphere just because you dont want to wear a dark suit and tie.

Formal/Gala wear can take different guises and not all are DJ or dark suit.

I have seen many flamboyant takes on the theme and it sounds to me as if  BT Texan, with the mooted appropriate adjustment to his 'dress', would pass muster in any of the restaurants.

One’s thoughts

It has and will continue to be so, with those who post ideas to circumvent the tradition of Cunard Dress Codes, deliberately doing so to cause “arguments”.   Cunard has it’s widely known traditions as to dress codes.  However, some having read the published dress codes, as per attached Cunard screen dump, appear not to comprehend (absorption problem?) or think it must not apply to them and post accordingly. 

It’s not the questions causing the “arguments”, it’s the people posting the questions.

Yet to see Cunarders repeatedly posting on casual cruise sites, in an attempt to introduce Gala evenings with a dress code of strict (gently enforced) formal attire.

Trust the “Yeah but….no but” brigade will now cease posting.  But not holding one’s breath.

28A365D3-6C21-4BA3-91B8-9466809FF43A.jpeg

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

Of course, it could be that some potential Cunard passengers have a genuine enquiry when asking if their mode of dress would be acceptable, rather than purposefully trying to upset.

National dress has been accepted on formal occasions, along with, startlingly, many hued 'costumes' and feathers and that was not on a themed occasion. 😄 I wasn't aware Texans consider themselves  'a nation' and with some adjustments,  the dress in question would be acceptable, whether stalwarts like it or not.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Of course, it could be that some potential Cunard passengers have a genuine enquiry when asking if their mode of dress would be acceptable, rather than purposefully trying to upset.

National dress has been accepted on formal occasions, along with, startlingly, many hued 'costumes' and feathers and that was not on a themed occasion. 😄 I wasn't aware Texans consider themselves  'a nation' and with some adjustments,  the dress in question would be acceptable, whether stalwarts like it or not.

Agree some potential Cunard bookers may have a valid question regarding the Cunard dress codes, so why don’t they just ask Cunard instead of posting on CC?

Or, could it be questions were asked to Cunard, but didn’t care for the answer, so deliberately posted on CC in the full knowledge of causing annoyance.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree some potential Cunard bookers may have a valid question regarding the Cunard dress codes, so why don’t they just ask Cunard instead of posting on CC?

Or, could it be questions were asked to Cunard, but didn’t care for the answer, so deliberately posted on CC in the full knowledge of causing annoyance.

Why ask on CC?

Why not? This board is to inform, advise and help. The fact some get their knickers in a twist about certain subjects is unfortunate...but it does add to the viewing figures!  🙂

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Why ask on CC?

Why not? This board is to inform, advise and help. The fact some get their knickers in a twist about certain subjects is unfortunate...but it does add to the viewing figures!  🙂

The only way to get true facts is from the horses mouth and that is direct from Cunard. You could ask one question on CC and get many different answers which many, if not all, could be wrong so therefore causing utter confusion. My interpretation of national dress, which I might be wrong, is the national dress of the actual country i.e. kilt or differing types of differing African countries which is nice to see and always look smart. Some will always try and fit the dress code to their own agenda and to my mind "local" dress of a country is not national dress. By the way I have no connection or family tie to Scotland but there is nothing nicer to see a Scotsman in full national dress with kilt.

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

No hats inside but why not substitute a formal pair of pants, black with the silk strips down the sides.  Then you can wear your boots and all the rest…including a bolo tie with a gaudy clip!  I keep a set of outrageous vests, think riverboat gambler, to jazz up an otherwise mundane tux.  

My apologies, 
Somehow my post did not come out the way I wanted.  I meant to say why not substitute your formal jeans with formal tuxedo pants?  Then your custom made silk blazer with the sparkles should qualify as formal.  I am a staunch believer in maintaining Cunard Formal.  I own 3 custom made tuxedos and several dinner jackets.  I do believe that BT is trying to achieve a formal look but is not sure how to do it.

• Like 1