Just been downgraded from booked and allocated cabin!!!

Fozzie100

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Exactly the same here, and we’re extraordinarily picky. Just 4 cabins that we’d accept on Ventura and Azura, and we’ve always booked on the first day to get one. I’d be furious if it changed.

Me too

5 hours ago, Danamis said:

Yes we all did. They acknowledged that in the emails to our family. Apparently their Terms and Conditions cover everything...

I admit I haven't read the T&C's regarding selecting a no upgrade, but it's logical to assume that you wouldn't be moved from your selecled cabin choice. Paying a premium for that and then your family either side being moved, but you not, I would say that  something is very suspicious, as they can't claim they are going to be isolation cabins. Now I'm not a confrontational person and normally very laid back, however, I would not take this laying down. I would keep going as high up as needs be until I got a satisfactory explanation.

Avril

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I admit I haven't read the T&C's regarding selecting a no upgrade, but it's logical to assume that you wouldn't be moved from your selecled cabin choice. Paying a premium for that and then your family either side being moved, but you not, I would say that  something is very suspicious, as they can't claim they are going to be isolation cabins. Now I'm not a confrontational person and normally very laid back, however, I would not take this laying down. I would keep going as high up as needs be until I got a satisfactory explanation.

Avril

They have had trouble in the past with 'families' booking a group of cabins and causing havoc in the local area. Your lot are nice and quiet I presume 😉

Little apparent logic in what they are doing though 😕

On 3/8/2022 at 11:30 PM, Pippa04 said:

Exactly. Something as simple as assessing cabin availability once full balances were paid and putting a hold on cabins that may be needed for those who had booked almost 2 years in advance may have alleviated a lot of the problems.  A stressful situation is made far worse by the knowledge that a cabin which would have suited your needs has been sold cheaply to a late booker while you are being fobbed off because everyone is too busy to engage with you.

Little things can make a huge difference.

Any news on your problem Fozzie100? 

Sorry for the late reply,  we have had to accept a balcony cabin and an inside for the kids at what seems to be todays prices (when we booked it was a early saver) We had booked a Suite at the aft and had the cabin allocated as it was the last one. The agent has been helpful but can only go so far.  P&O does not seem bothered.  I have emailed with a complaint but as yet no reply!. 

Edited by Fozzie100

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

They have had trouble in the past with 'families' booking a group of cabins and causing havoc in the local area. Your lot are nice and quiet I presume 😉

That's stereotyping Dave and I certainly hope that's the reason!

Avril

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Was this recently or did the "Legal Department" actually respond?  I'm astonished if this is really the intention to move a perfectly reasonable request up to lawyers.

No, I got the email today from Paul Ludlow's office, haven't heard from the Legal Dept.

• Like 1

I doubt I'll hear anything before I sail on 1 April then!

Here's a strange one to add to the moving puzzle. My aunt and I booked a forward facing oceanview cabin on the Aurora 1 April Canaries on launch day.  Just been into my booking for something else and we are now mysteriously mid ships oceanview with lots of things underneath about our booking that weren't there yesterday. No cabin allocation yet, but something has most definitely changed regarding our position.

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I thought Moley claimed it was due to these bookings having made made prior to allocation of the quarantine zones, and the reason P&O have not advised the passengers about the new situation is that they hoped it might change before the cruise date, so they have left it till the last minute to advise passengers.

It sounds plausible but I still think it would have better PR  to advise passengers as soon as they knew, and then leave it to them to decide if they changed cabin, left it in the hope things might change, or moved their booking.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Firstly - I have already typed this out once and was sure I submitted it…so apologies if anyone is seeing this duplicated, or if I have mistakenly posted it somewhere else!!

To answer; we have booked Early Saver Fare in a Deluxe Balcony, so I’m assuming we will be allocated in one of the less ‘desirable’ ones.

My husband completed the booking (first time for everything) and agreed to the possible upgrade section. I thought nothing of it as assumed even if suites were available (they’re not currently) we wouldn’t be first in line for one being on Saver fare. Reading this thread though, I just hope we don’t get ‘upgraded’ to something not as nice!

We’re pretty easy pleased TBH so I’m not too worried about the cabin location anyway. I only booked the deluxe as it was £100 more than the standard balcony so seemed a good deal for more space. I’m more concerned with the drinks package, but I think I’ve made my peace with that for now!!

One persons great cabin location is another’s disaster. If you are not too fussy then you will be absolutely fine and have a wonderful holiday.

I can honestly say that while I have preferred some cabins to others, none of them have ever spoiled my holiday (and I gave up counting once I reached 100 cruises so I know whereof I speak. 😀).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

One persons great cabin location is another’s disaster. If you are not too fussy then you will be absolutely fine and have a wonderful holiday.

I can honestly say that while I have preferred some cabins to others, none of them have ever spoiled my holiday (and I gave up counting once I reached 100 cruises so I know whereof I speak. 😀).

Totally agree, trash & treasure etc etc…

Also; 100 cruises…you’re my inspiration!! 

10 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Totally agree, trash & treasure etc etc…

Also; 100 cruises…you’re my inspiration!! 

I started young and I’m not anymore.

You too might well get hooked on cruising. It’s a brilliant way to see the world while eating well and being entertained.

While we cruisers all moan a bit from time to time (and very often it is fully justified) it is usually better than any land based holiday.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I started young and I’m not anymore.

You too might well get hooked on cruising. It’s a brilliant way to see the world while eating well and being entertained.

While we cruisers all moan a bit from time to time (and very often it is fully justified) it is usually better than any land based holiday.

Oh I quite agree. This will be our first P&O but our eighth cruise…I’m definitely hooked!

And this forum is a massive bonus for planning and preparing 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

No worries - all info welcome, this is our first (and much debated) P&O cruise so the more info the better! 

We had D114 port side on a 17 night cruise and it was probably the worst mistake I have made when it comes to picking a cabin. The balcony was above the smoking vent to the crew smoking area (as I mentioned) and because it is right at the front of the ship the balcony was really cold and very windy. We have had cabins this far forward a number of times but had forgotten that on Oceana and Ocean Village 2 the balconies were the old fashioned type and 'in the hull'. On D deck the cabins stand out quite a bit. We never got the sun all the way on the cruise and when we turned back we had fog and black cloud all the way home so that made me miserable ! We didn't like the D deck cabins either to be honest and would not book again. Hubby hated the shower over the bath as he is tall and had to stoop to shower. We have since been on Azura and had a corner aft cabin so we have booked something similar on Ventura for August. Would never book in that area again but that may just be us. The couple in the cabin infront of us loved theirs so it may just not have been for us. (The smoking vent annoyed me though and looking back we should have complained as we could smell smoke quite often)

53 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We had D114 port side on a 17 night cruise and it was probably the worst mistake I have made when it comes to picking a cabin. The balcony was above the smoking vent to the crew smoking area (as I mentioned) and because it is right at the front of the ship the balcony was really cold and very windy. We have had cabins this far forward a number of times but had forgotten that on Oceana and Ocean Village 2 the balconies were the old fashioned type and 'in the hull'. On D deck the cabins stand out quite a bit. We never got the sun all the way on the cruise and when we turned back we had fog and black cloud all the way home so that made me miserable ! We didn't like the D deck cabins either to be honest and would not book again. Hubby hated the shower over the bath as he is tall and had to stoop to shower. We have since been on Azura and had a corner aft cabin so we have booked something similar on Ventura for August. Would never book in that area again but that may just be us. The couple in the cabin infront of us loved theirs so it may just not have been for us. (The smoking vent annoyed me though and looking back we should have complained as we could smell smoke quite often)

Thank you for explaining!

Hmm my husband is tall as well so that could be a problem…just have to wait and see what we get given I suppose. I probably should have wondered WHY it was only £100 to get the Deluxe Balcony; you live and learn!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

Er...we are 4 pensioners with our daughter and son-in-law. I doubt we were split up because we are potential troublemakers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

P and O won't speak to our family members about it until the new cabins have been allocated. Who knows when that will be?

24 minutes ago, Danamis said:

P and O won't speak to our family members about it until the new cabins have been allocated. Who knows when that will be?

Try a little further up the ladder. I can't advise on that next step as, luckily, I've had no reason, but there could be others on here who could possibly give you some advice I'm sure. 

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Thank you for explaining!

Hmm my husband is tall as well so that could be a problem…just have to wait and see what we get given I suppose. I probably should have wondered WHY it was only £100 to get the Deluxe Balcony; you live and learn!!

Don't worry, you may love it - its just that this cabin on Ventura didn't float our boat, so to speak.

The weather was horrible and we had had such a fabulous cruise on Oceana the year I just wished we'd gone back on her.

Let is know what you are allocated 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

While we cruisers all moan a bit from time to time (and very often it is fully justified) it is usually better than any land based holiday

Fighting talk !

I'd say that cruising is different to land based holidays, but not necessarily always better !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danamis said:

If you keep pestering them with e-mails it might ensure that at least your family are allocated higher grade cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Try a little further up the ladder. I can't advise on that next step as, luckily, I've had no reason, but there could be others on here who could possibly give you some advice I'm sure. 

Avril

Top of the tree of course is Paul Ludlow at P&O and then Sture Myrmell, the President of Carnival UK.

• Like 1

The option to choose your cabin location and number is the only upgrade option for which P&O charge a premium price, ie select fare ( the clue is in the name) Whether they like it or not, this is an acknowledgment by the company that they know this is an important factor for some passengers and which will command a premium price. Should circumstances subsequently require a select fare passenger to be moved, then the  honourable thing to do is to offer the people affected a choice. They should be contacted by phone and  given the alternative cabin numbers which are available. Should none of them prove to be suitable, then a full refund should be offered. 
As one of their customers who always choose select fare, there is no way I am going to cruise whilst this practice of moving cabins continues. 

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Fozzie100 said:

Sorry for the late reply,  we have had to accept a balcony cabin and an inside for the kids at what seems to be todays prices (when we booked it was a early saver) We had booked a Suite at the aft and had the cabin allocated as it was the last one. The agent has been helpful but can only go so far.  P&O does not seem bothered.  I have emailed with a complaint but as yet no reply!. 

That's interesting. When I pointed out cabins that would be suitable for me I was quoted more than £1000 to change as that was the price at time of booking. They were on sale at the time for considerably less...

I hope you enjoy your cruise despite all the stress.

23 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

The option to choose your cabin location and number is the only upgrade option for which P&O charge a premium price, ie select fare ( the clue is in the name) Whether they like it or not, this is an acknowledgment by the company that they know this is an important factor for some passengers and which will command a premium price. Should circumstances subsequently require a select fare passenger to be moved, then the  honourable thing to do is to offer the people affected a choice. They should be contacted by phone and  given the alternative cabin numbers which are available. Should none of them prove to be suitable, then a full refund should be offered. 
As one of their customers who always choose select fare, there is no way I am going to cruise whilst this practice of moving cabins continues. 

Very eloquently put. Can I quote some of it in my next complaint email please?!

Edited by Pippa04
  • Like 1