Diamond traveling with a newbie friend, access to diamond lounge?

35 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

You can buy your friend a drink with one of your free ones in the comfort of any venue onboard.

Is that true? Pre-covid, Diamonds were not allowed to use their 3 drink HH vouchers to buy their non-Diamond friends a drink at any of the public bars. 

Has that rule changed? Asking for a friend. 😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Is that true? Pre-covid, Diamonds were not allowed to use their 3 drink HH vouchers to buy their non-Diamond friends a drink at any of the public bars. 

Has that rule changed? Asking for a friend. 😎

Yes they dont care who the drink is for. I bought wine for a tablemate. Others said no issue.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You posed the question and seems the majority of responses say No your friend should not be entitled to a perk that she has not yet earned by spending thousands of $$$ to reach Diamond or higher.   Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted and no longer wish to go to the DL. 

I hope you and your friend have a wonderful cruise.     There are many places you can sit, relax and meet new people with lots of great bars other than the pool deck where it tends to be loud/lively.     Enjoy🤩

You are correct. My friend did not spend thousands of $$$ to reach Diamond but my husband and I sure have. Since she is taking his place as my cabin mate on this cruise,  I didn’t see the issue with her sitting in the DL with me around 7, 7:30 ( when the DL isn’t crowded) while I use my voucher to get a pre dinner wine. If the answer is no, that’s fine. The reason I will stay away from the DL in the future is not because my friend couldn’t get in this cruise. That would be childish and give sitting in the DL way too much importance. I’ll probably stay away because I realize that my personality and perspective is probably better suited for other venues.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dleahy4444 said:

You are correct. My friend did not spend thousands of $$$ to reach Diamond but my husband and I sure have. Since she is taking his place as my cabin mate on this cruise,  I didn’t see the issue with her sitting in the DL with me around 7, 7:30 ( when the DL isn’t crowded) while I use my voucher to get a pre dinner wine. If the answer is no, that’s fine. The reason I will stay away from the DL in the future is not because my friend couldn’t get in this cruise. That would be childish and give sitting in the DL way too much importance. I’ll probably stay away because I realize that my personality and perspective is probably better suited for other venues.  

Imagine if you asked about taking your friend into the pineapple’s lounge and taking one of their window seats.

Im with you,I will just going for a cappuccino.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Imagine if you asked about taking your friend into the pineapple’s lounge and taking one of their window seats.

Im with you,I will just going for a cappuccino.

Maybe you will find me in the karaoke bar singing Garth Brooks “I’ve got friends in low places””. Do you know that one? Just kidding…I can’t sing🤣!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?  Your friend isn’t taking your husbands place, she is going on the trip with you.  It doesn’t matter whether you even have a husband or travel with him normally.  You can’t just substitute who you want in your husbands spot because he would’ve been there otherwise.  

I don’t care whether your friend gets in the lounge.  If you want to ask the concierge if she can join you, have at it.  I don’t care about how many cruises anyone else has been on.  Royal status is about the last thing I care about in life and I sure as heck would never judge anyone by it.  But your overly simplistic justification for why you think you are entitled to bring who you want into the lounge is pretty ridiculous.  

Just because Royal doesn’t allow it, and people here are telling you so, that doesn’t make them snobs or your friend a lowly person.  99.99999999999% of diamonds haven’t replied to this thread anyhow.  So why never go back with your husband.  Just relax and try to understand why Royal prohibits friends from the lounge.  There are valid reasons you are ignoring here.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, topnole said:

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?  Your friend isn’t taking your husbands place, she is going on the trip with you.  It doesn’t matter whether you even have a husband or travel with him normally.  You can’t just substitute who you want in your husbands spot because he would’ve been there otherwise.  

I don’t care whether your friend gets in the lounge.  If you want to ask the concierge if she can join you, have at it.  I don’t care about how many cruises anyone else has been on.  Royal status is about the last thing I care about in life and I sure as heck would never judge anyone by it.  But your overly simplistic justification for why you think you are entitled to bring who you want into the lounge is pretty ridiculous.  

Just because Royal doesn’t allow it, and people here are telling you so, that doesn’t make them snobs or your friend a lowly person.  99.99999999999% of diamonds haven’t replied to this thread anyhow.  So why never go back with your husband.  Just relax and try to understand why Royal prohibits friends from the lounge.  There are valid reasons you are ignoring here.  

Wow… ok, you sure told me. Have a nice evening 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I bought all my table mates wine every night in Nov 2019 using the vouchers with no issue. When exactly Is pre-Covid? Are we talking Covid-19? 😇

That would be the one and only Covid worth talking about. 😉  I just remember sharing of vouchers was a hot topic back then, glad to see there was some flexibility "in the before times". 😊

3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Wow… ok, you sure told me. Have a nice evening 

I remember asking here if it was possible to sneak my sister into the suite lounge.

On the cruise the suite concierge couldn’t have cared less,especially after a good tip.

But you should have heard the nasty remarks here from the pinnacles.

Just ask the concierge,they represent the company .

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

And often they check cards on the way into the DL and you are avoiding the embarrassment of being turned away. 

I haven’t read the responses so this is just my take. Now that we get vouchers on our seapass card every day, I don’t see any reason to go to the D lounge for happy hour. There are so many places to play trivia, listen to music, etc that are far better than sitting in the lounge.

but yes I love the morning coffee!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

And often they check cards on the way into the DL and you are avoiding the embarrassment of being turned away. 

True story...many years ago,

The wonderful aroma of garlic led me inside a room. A gal wearing a nice uniform stopped me and said "Sir, you are not allowed in here".

I was embarrassed and as I was walking out I saw a sign..."Special Event". I thought it was a wedding.

The next day, the redolent smell pulled me in again...same room...thought it was another wedding...and I walked in to see what was being served.

The same gal stopped me again and said "Sir, you are not alliowed in here".

I apologized and  said "Sorry, just curious about the food".  On my way out, the gal sternly asked me, "Sir, may I see your seapass card?"  A bit scared, I handed her my seapass card.

Then she said, "OH! you're Diamond...Sir, it's OK, you are welcome".

True story...we had no idea what Diamonds were. :classic_huh:

• Haha 7

One thing I will say is that the DLs of RCI's older ships with walls of glass, sweeping views and some with outdoor areas, created a pleasurable area to lounge there and take in the scenery and fresh air. The newer ships DLs, some windowless and others with small windows, feel very claustrophobic.  I'm not sure if the design of the DL in newer ships was meant to deter people from going there but it sure did have that effect and now without the free flowing HH drinks there is much less of an incentive for some to visit except to get specialty coffee 24/7. The overcrowding of the past is pretty much nonexistent due to the new design and the elimination of unlimited drinks during HH. 

Flame me if you'd like, **flame retardant suit on**, but personally I have no problem with a Diamond member bringing one friend, companion, SO, cabin mate, service animal, therapy pet, what have you, for a short while. I will be on the Oasis next month and am very disappointment that the former DL with the gorgeous view has been turned into a card room and the DL moved to deck 4 with no windows. I will gladly give up my seat and the phantom drinks to the highest bidder. 

• Like 4

On 3/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I’m diamond but my friend has never cruised before. Will she be able to access the diamond lounge with me if we go together? I assume she won’t be getting the diamond vouchers but if she gains entrance and feels like a cocktail could she purchase one there? Thanks!

As weird as it sounds, you & your friend can drink anywhere on the ship & at any bar on the ship except the Diamond Club. Only because many feel they are 'above' your friend because they have spent more money & time. If you're Diamond you've probably been in one of these spaces. It's really a strange, select, unique club of people. What's really odd is that in most cases the views aren't that great & the drink selections are very slim. The bar service is ok. But they do serve up finger foods. Think High School cliques but with liquor that share the enjoyment of cruising and have earned the right to do this. Having said this I've met some interesting people in these spaces but also a lot of duds. 

Bottomline, your friend won't miss much. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, topnole said:

Do you understand that if she was to re-marry the new spouse would immediately qualify for Diamond status? My point is that it is all really just so superficial. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I haven’t read the responses so this is just my take. Now that we get vouchers on our seapass card every day, I don’t see any reason to go to the D lounge for happy hour. There are so many places to play trivia, listen to music, etc that are far better than sitting in the lounge.

but yes I love the morning coffee!

Ditto to that! 🙂  ^ ^  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

One thing I will say is that the DLs of RCI's older ships with walls of glass, sweeping views and some with outdoor areas, created a pleasurable area to lounge there and take in the scenery and fresh air. The newer ships DLs, some windowless and others with small windows, feel very claustrophobic.  I'm not sure if the design of the DL in newer ships was meant to deter people from going there but it sure did have that effect and now without the free flowing HH drinks there is much less of an incentive for some to visit except to get specialty coffee 24/7. The overcrowding of the past is pretty much nonexistent due to the new design and the elimination of unlimited drinks during HH. 

Flame me if you'd like, **flame retardant suit on**, but personally I have no problem with a Diamond member bringing one friend, companion, SO, cabin mate, service animal, therapy pet, what have you, for a short while. I will be on the Oasis next month and am very disappointment that the former DL with the gorgeous view has been turned into a card room and the DL moved to deck 4 with no windows. I will gladly give up my seat and the phantom drinks to the highest bidder. 

Thank you a and where can I buy a “flame retardant” suit? I obviously need one. ☺️

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Goodtimes57 said:

Do you understand that if she was to re-marry the new spouse would immediately qualify for Diamond status? My point is that it is all really just so superficial. 

Well, getting married isn’t exactly superficial.  Not sure I get your point in that.  The rule is a spouse gets the same status.  Lots of rules like this exist.  Before getting married my wife wasn’t on my health insurance.  We got married and she was.  Buy a family museum pass or zoo pass and my family can go (not any friends as substitutes).   

You may view it as an arbitrary reason, but I’m not sure you are conceptualizing future outcomes if friends were invited by policy.  For example, what if a cabin mate can join you every cruise?  Now when a couple cruises with another couple they can just officially book the guys in one cabin and the girls in the other.  Now they are officially traveling with friends and everyone gets in the DL.  The DL is already packed on so many cruises.  Stories of it being empty surely exist.  But that isn’t the norm during peak hours on many of the ships.  Overflow lounges exist for a reason and that comes at a cost and it deteriorates the experience.  Why make it worse.  Few people expect they could just bring friends to a lounge designed for those who achieved a given status with a company.  Sure, some companies might do that.   But those companies make it very hard to get to a level where lounge access is achievable.  So crowding isn’t as likely or an issue.  

Again.  Not my company, not my rules.   I’m sure we all change some things if we were in charge.   But there are reasonable justifications for all of the rules.  

• Like 3

Only once did a couple in a round about way ask us what tier level we were while sitting in the embarkation center (Celebrity cruise). We ignored them by changing the subject. Other than that we haven't been on a cruise where the conversation leads to what tier level someone is or the stateroom category. A lot more interesting things to talk about. 

• Like 1