St. Thomas Dock?

My head is swirling with some contradictory St. Thomas information, so I come to you helpful cruisers. I'll be on Explorer when we dock in St. Thomas at the end of April...but which dock is it? Some sites are stating all of Royal no matter the class docks at Crown Bay but then others say only Oasis class docks at Crown Bay and all other ships dock at Havensight. My fingers are crossed for Havensight so I can walk around on my own but if it's Crown Bay I'll need to do some more research. Does any one know which dock? If it is Crown Bay is it easy to get taxis around CA back to the port? Do they stop at specific areas or just flag them down?

Thank you!!

RCI signed a contract with St. Thomas to dock at Crown Bay years ago...all RCI ships to dock at Crown Bay.  

I miss Havensight.  😞  But can still take a shuttle or taxi over there.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, island lady said:

RCI signed a contract with St. Thomas to dock at Crown Bay years ago...all RCI ships to dock at Crown Bay.  

I miss Havensight.  😞  But can still take a shuttle or taxi over there.  

I am In St Thomas today. Allure is docked in Crown Bay, Mariner is docked at Havensight. A few weeks ago Allure docked at Havensight. 

It is accurate to say most of the time Royal (and X) dock in Crown Bay, it isn’t absolute. 

We had no problem today getting transportation anywhere we wanted to go and back again. 

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I am In St Thomas today. Allure is docked in Crown Bay, Mariner is docked at Havensight. A few weeks ago Allure docked at Havensight. 

It is accurate to say most of the time Royal (and X) dock in Crown Bay, it isn’t absolute. 

We had no problem today getting transportation anywhere we wanted to go and back again. 

Thanks...nice to know that RCI and St. Thomas are making exceptions when Crown Bay is full.  Hope we get lucky enough to be on one that still goes to Havensight.  

Assuming EX will be in Crown Bay, I think we will take a shuttle to Havensight when we are there in a couple of weeks.  Love Benny Iquanas for lunch there.  😋

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Thank you! 

Just checked and we will be the only ship in port. I would say I could follow the CB vs WICO on vinow but it says Mariner was to be CB today and you see it at WICO (Havensight). So my head swirling was accurate, I thought I was losing it so I appreciate all of this information.

Do the taxis in town say which port they are going to? Do you flag them down? I'm used to just flagging a taxi down and saying where I want to go lol

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks...nice to know that RCI and St. Thomas are making exceptions when Crown Bay is full.  Hope we get lucky enough to be on one that still goes to Havensight.  

Assuming EX will be in Crown Bay, I think we will take a shuttle to Havensight when we are there in a couple of weeks.  Love Benny Iquanas for lunch there.  😋

X Reflection is here in CB with Allure today. We took the shared taxis to Havensight for lunch and some shopping; $6 per person each way;  plenty of trucks running, very little wait time. 

• Like 1

If you should end up at Crown Bay as we did in September (sailed on Edge), there were open air shuttles to take us to town for $4pp.  When we returned to the ship, we ran into people who took a taxi to Havensight (also our preferred dock).  

Edited by lola2013

Just now, bhsolo said:

Thank you! 

Just checked and we will be the only ship in port. I would say I could follow the CB vs WICO on vinow but it says Mariner was to be CB today and you see it at WICO (Havensight). So my head swirling was accurate, I thought I was losing it so I appreciate all of this information.

Do the taxis in town say which port they are going to? Do you flag them down? I'm used to just flagging a taxi down and saying where I want to go lol

The Taxis seem to run on a constant loop, almost like a hop on-hop off situation. Some running clockwise, some counterclockwise. 

3 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

If you should end up at Crown Bay as we did in September (sailed on Edge), there were open air shuttles to take us to town for $4pp.  When we returned, we ran into people who took a taxi to Havensight (also our preferred dock).  

Oh great! Thought I would head to Havensight, do skyride, walk to town, and then was wondering how to get back from town to the port. 

At least when RC and Celebrity use to docked at Havensight (WICO) the walk into Charlotte Amalie was double and enjoyable along the waterfront. No way would we (at least my wife) walk in to Charlotte Amalie from Crown Bay.  

2 minutes ago, bhsolo said:

Oh great! Thought I would head to Havensight, do skyride, walk to town, and then was wondering how to get back from town to the port. 

If memory serves (that's iffy on a good day), we caught the shuttle back from town to the ship one block off the main street...kitty corner from a government office.  Sorry I can't be more specific...I can picture the corner but not the name of the building.

13 minutes ago, bhsolo said:

Plenty of spots to get a ride from Charlotte Amalie back to Crown Bay. The shared ride shuttles are everywhere. A real common place for drop offs and pickups is where the sidewalk vendors set up their booths  across from the waterfront. It's right by Emancipation Garden.  

• Like 1

We are just leaving St. Thomas aboard the Allure today.  Allure was docked at Crown Bay. 

Mariner was docked at Havensight today.  

it you don’t mind walking, it is about a 40 minute walk between the two.  

5 hours ago, resetjet said:

I guess with less ships sailing things are different.  Today in san juan we docked at the old san juan docks and the usual airport dock was empty.

It is always that way. Cruise ship port stops are at the pier in Old San Juan. Ships that are arriving/departing on sailings from San Juan use the Pan Am pier at the business airport. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

X Reflection is here in CB with Allure today. We took the shared taxis to Havensight for lunch and some shopping; $6 per person each way;  plenty of trucks running, very little wait time. 

Thanks...have used those very convenient shuttles before.  Always plenty of them waiting for a few $$.

😉  

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

At least when RC and Celebrity use to docked at Havensight (WICO) the walk into Charlotte Amalie was double and enjoyable along the waterfront. No way would we (at least my wife) walk in to Charlotte Amalie from Crown Bay.  

Yeah, we did it once.  Not fun...all freight yards, construction, heavy traffic.  Not a pretty walk, very busy highway, and walkways are almost non-exist.  

Agree, the walkway into town from Havensight was enjoyable, with that nice sidewalk along the water.  🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coralc said:

It is always that way. Cruise ship port stops are at the pier in Old San Juan. Ships that are arriving/departing on sailings from San Juan use the Pan Am pier at the business airport. 

I see.  Last time we left out of san juan.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bhsolo said:

My head is swirling with some contradictory St. Thomas information, so I come to you helpful cruisers. I'll be on Explorer when we dock in St. Thomas at the end of April...but which dock is it? Some sites are stating all of Royal no matter the class docks at Crown Bay but then others say only Oasis class docks at Crown Bay and all other ships dock at Havensight. My fingers are crossed for Havensight so I can walk around on my own but if it's Crown Bay I'll need to do some more research. Does any one know which dock? If it is Crown Bay is it easy to get taxis around CA back to the port? Do they stop at specific areas or just flag them down?

Thank you!!

I am on sos in st thomas now and we used crown bay. Havensight had two ncl and one disney ship today.  We are only ship at crown all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 2:28 PM, bhsolo said:

Thank you!!

You can check the St. Thomas dock schedule here (it will also show you when a ship is docked in St. Croix):

https://www.*****/cruise/ship-schedule/

"WICO" is Havensight

"CB" is Crown Bay

On 3/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

and lucky the ship that gets the dock closer to the town.

If at Crown Bay you can walk to the marina next door, have a beer and or a bite at Tickles, take the ferry over to Water Island..it runs regularly back and forth, it’s around. $15-20..take the shuttle to Homeymoon Beach…two bars there, make your own excursion..

https://www.*****/waterisland/gettingthere_wi/

Edited by PTC DAWG