Not another dress code thread

bitob

and I have to hold my hand up to say I have technically worn denim jeans for dinner on occasions. 😟 Extremely well cut, white denim and paired with a fabulous top.

I would defy anyone to tell me they were denim without getting a magnifying glass up to the fabric, and if they did that, I feel a gentle clout around the ear might ensue. 😄

So whereas I don't agree jeans as such are suitable dinner wear, I do think fine denim is not necessarily a forbidden fabric. But, what is suitable denim? Minefield. Easy solution, no jeans advisory.

Edited by Victoria2

27 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

... I'll wait and see for myself how far  'fings ain't what they used to be'.

Very good! It's not often a dress code thread helps expand my theatrical and musical appreciation. Taking this thread into a light-hearted direction, here are a couple links for those like this American who didn't get that reference without doing some research.

Wikipedia: Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be

YouTube: MAX BYGRAVES - Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be - 45rpm 1960

• Like 2

Is a formal suit -- as opposed to a tuxedo acceptable on formal/gala nights?  Asking for a friend.  😃  I'll be in my Tux, but my father is not thrilled with the idea (and my Mother is no longer with us to insist.)

2 minutes ago, thumbun said:

Is a formal suit -- as opposed to a tuxedo acceptable on formal/gala nights?  Asking for a friend.  😃  I'll be in my Tux, but my father is not thrilled with the idea (and my Mother is no longer with us to insist.)

Dark Suit with tie or bow tie absolutely fits the dress code for the Gala nights

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sippican said:

I must admit that reading these comments makes one feel like they are back in high school and dreading the judgements of the upperclassmen.

Looking forward very much to our first cruise on The Queens

The atmosphere on board is so beautiful after 6:00... and trust me... that is why people get passionate on the cruise discussions about the maintaining the dress code on Cunard. 

It is truly beautiful and so very unique from other cruise lines. 

I have a feeling that once you sail, you will also see why people advocate for keeping the line special and different... and then, most likely, you will try to communicate to others why it is important to treasure it.

It is a lovely experience.

I never felt like it was judge-y on board... it is just beautiful... and the people I met on board were interesting, well traveled, and delightful.

The atmosphere is worth standing up for it.

You will see.

🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

there is no garden to worry about,

Then you're not like my wife. I think she wants to put up a garden-cam so she can worry about it from afar. I, however - being the wheelbarrow man - am quite happy to have some distance, like you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

The atmosphere on board is so beautiful after 6:00... and trust me... that is why people get passionate on the cruise discussions about the maintaining the dress code on Cunard. 

It is truly beautiful and so very unique from other cruise lines. 

I have a feeling that once you sail, you will also see why people advocate for keeping the line special and different... and then, most likely, you will try to communicate to others why it is important to treasure it.

It is a lovely experience.

I never felt like it was judge-y on board... it is just beautiful... and the people I met on board were interesting, well traveled, and delightful.

The atmosphere is worth standing up for it.

You will see.

🙂

Well put.  And if you don’t like dressing up

there are literally 50+ other cruise lines to choose from where causal attire is the norm.  I don’t want Cunard to be like every other line.  The formality is one of the special attributes that makes Cunard unique.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

It's so difficult to appeal to passenger's sense of 'what's right' as there are so many takes on the subject but, I remember  one year when we arrived early in Muscat and the dress code was  relaxed so folk could go out for the evening, two chaps came into the restaurant in black denim jeans, fabulously crisp white linen shirts and  black jackets.  They knocked the attire of most of the other chaps, out of the ball park. Definitely a classy look.

They were GQ front cover ready and I would pit that look as 'Smart' over many other 'Smart' looks. Sadly, many may try but not achieve the same level of sophistication. 

It's a shame the pre Covid advice has been changed but I'll wait and see for myself how far  'fings ain't what they used to be'.

It had changed by last November on our QE cruise when there were quiet a few men who didnt wear jackets in the dining room in the evening on Smart Attire nights.

10 hours ago, lissie said:

Yeah we will stick to 1 checked bag of 22kg between us. Managing 2 wheelie bags by myself is too hard and my back will no longer manage a heavy full-sized backpack.  One large bag plus  one 10kg backpack I can manage - and he can take a carry-on rollalong. 

That's impressive. We can travel light if required, the wine we're taking to folk we're visiting often weighs more than the rest of our luggage.

But for our 14 night round trip crossing we can take 138kg between us on our BA flights to Heathrow. On our last 14 night Panama with P&O our total was 35kg, and those cases were far heavier than the ones we have now. Thankfully I'm fit enough to carry two cases and a backpack, and my younger wife can manage the other backpack. She might struggle to keep up though! I think we've just finalised 14 evening, and 14 lunch outfits for her and 6 suits/tuxes for me including one waistcoat. If I vary the ties and go open neck some nights we'll be different every night. And I'll be surprised if we go over 70kg.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sippican said:

Thank you for the background information. I understand.

My reply was to Host Hattie who asked how it was confusing.  

One can easily find support in Cunard's literature for whichever approach they care to take.

Easy to see the confusion.

FWIW, I have every intention of "fitting in" on my upcoming sailing, but have clients who inquire about sailing Cunard and would like to provide appropriate guidance. I must admit that reading these comments makes one feel like they are back in high school and dreading the judgements of the upperclassmen.

Looking forward very much to our first cruise on The Queens

Yes I felt the same before my first cruise an looking at  this board.  Really felt like there would be a whole lot of eye-rolling go on behind our backs. Its really not like that in real life - we met interesting and well-travelled people and had a great cruise. 

I still don't understand why it makes so much difference for a man to walk in and out of a dining room wearing a jacket, to some  people. Its not like you wear it during diner LOL.   Have an awesome time 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

That's impressive. We can travel light if required, the wine we're taking to folk we're visiting often weighs more than the rest of our luggage.

But for our 14 night round trip crossing we can take 138kg between us on our BA flights to Heathrow. On our last 14 night Panama with P&O our total was 35kg, and those cases were far heavier than the ones we have now. Thankfully I'm fit enough to carry two cases and a backpack, and my younger wife can manage the other backpack. She might struggle to keep up though! I think we've just finalised 14 evening, and 14 lunch outfits for her and 6 suits/tuxes for me including one waistcoat. If I vary the ties and go open neck some nights we'll be different every night. And I'll be surprised if we go over 70kg.

Ah well I couldn't compete even if I wanted to - I don't OWN 14 different outfits for lunch or dinner LOL. My partner owns 2 suits - one of which are competition tails which he's not taking.  

Curious that you have "lunch outfits" - I presume this is for a 7 days at sea  crossing?  I have shore day outfits and  sea day outfits - but never changed for lunch - and there was zero dress code in any location on board prior to 6pm 

2 hours ago, eroller said:

Well put.  And if you don’t like dressing up

there are literally 50+ other cruise lines to choose from where causal attire is the norm.  I don’t want Cunard to be like every other line.  The formality is one of the special attributes that makes Cunard unique.  

Its not the dressing up particularly. We chose Cunard for the itineraries and the ballroom dancing and lectures. Not interested in climbing walls - but wanted something with a decent pool Cunard ticks the boxes - the dress code is  neutral - not a huge negative or positive. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It had changed by last November on our QE cruise when there were quiet a few men who didnt wear jackets in the dining room in the evening on Smart Attire nights.

Yes, I know the code changed last year but you mentioned hearsay on Crocs as part of evening wear but before I join the Oh Calamity group and rail against any seriously deteriorating level of dress onboard of an evening, I want to observe for myself.

10 hours ago, lissie said:

I have shore day outfits and  sea day outfits - but never changed for lunch - and there was zero dress code in any location on board prior to 6pm 

I do think on the whole that they would remonstrate if you turned up for lunch in any of the restaurants in your swim wear. But I admit I haven't seen anyone try. So common sense is clearly possible.😀

28 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

From the What to pack section of the website

Screenshot_20220313-100828-284.png

Quite. I'm not sure it would be much appreciated in the indoor bars before lunch either. Notice the ambiguous wording of the last sentence. It might lead the wildly optimistic to assume they bring you a free drink as you lounge. 

12 hours ago, lissie said:

I still don't understand why it makes so much difference for a man to walk in and out of a dining room wearing a jacket, to some  people. Its not like you wear it during diner LOL.  

Now I'm confused. Does the maitre d' hang it up for you? Does the chair wear it?

Who takes off their jacket at dinner?

I was watching a vlog of a recent QM2 cruise in February. The individuals were discussing how Cunard’s informal nights were similar to other cruise lines formal nights. The individuals were wearing collared shirts, dress sweaters and blazers for the informal night.

However as I was watching the video, I could see other guests not in compliance with the dress code. One table had an individual wearing a black hoodie sweatshirt . Another table showed a gentleman wearing a sweater but no collared shirt. 

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Yes, I know the code changed last year but you mentioned hearsay on Crocs as part of evening wear but before I join the Oh Calamity group and rail against any seriously deteriorating level of dress onboard of an evening, I want to observe for myself.

Here's a few quotes from posts about our last QE cruise. Although pre-covid it was out of Australia, so had the "new" dress code.

On 2/3/2020 at 4:19 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

There has been some speculation on here about what the new dress code will mean in practice. ‘Smart trousers and a collared shirt’ is obviously open to interpretation. It would seen that, for a sizeable minority, ‘smart’ means long and I suppose, technically, polo shirts have a collar. I even saw one flannel shirt worn completely open, thankfully over a vest or T-shirt. But it had a collar, so what’s the problem? I would guess that maybe 25 - 30 % have a different understanding of ‘smart’ or ‘collared’ than I do. It’s also worth noting that three of the four men at our table were wearing jackets although not required, so you could make any argument you like. We’ll see what tonight’s first formal, sorry, Gala Night brings.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:35 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

Tonight was the Captain’s Welcome Party and first Gala (Black & White) Night. I’d estimate that around 60% of the men were in ‘Black Tie’, with another 20% in the also acceptable ‘dark suit’. About 10% were at least wearing a jacket and the less said about the rest the better. There seems to be a lot of checked flannel shirts around. At times it feels like we’ve wandered into a line-dancing convention.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:51 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

It’s the World Club Party tonight and although it’s a ‘Smart Attire’ evening there appears to be fewer men without jackets than there was on the first ‘Gala Night’ and there are certainly more ties in evidence than I’ve seen all voyage. 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

This is our last formal night and suddenly it’s like we’re on a different ship. It’s just like a Cunard ship should be. I don’t know where the work-shirt, shorts and sandals brigade (seen at the previous Gala Ball) have gone. There’s no sign of them. Not one. Anywhere on the ship! We passed by the pub, and through the Lido (the casual venues) and EVERYBODY is dressed for Gala Night. I’m not sure if the rebels have been confined to their cabins, thrown overboard, or admitted defeat.

4 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I’m not sure if the rebels havebeen confined to their cabins (option 1), thrown overboard (option 2) or admitted defeat (option 3)

Personal option only.

The “Casuals” will never admit defeat (option 3), it’s a stubborn mindset, accompanied by a persistent mantra of “Yeah but…No but”.  Plus, they now look to constantly create confusions and/or smokescreens, doing whatever it takes to justify, in their minds, a big NO to showing respect for Cunard Traditions and other guests.
Think option 1 was first utilised.  Unfortunately, some casuals possibility escaped and attempted to infest, so option 2 was promptly and unceremoniously enforced.

Just one’s thoughts.😉

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think this thread has made it clear that the written dress code may be the same but what actually happens on board can be very different depending on where the ships are sailing. 

And the mindset of those sailing on the ships.

• Like 1