Dog at Dining Table & Skunk Pot on Balcony common issues?

1 hour ago, foxgoodrich said:

Yes, you are correct.  Unfortunately there are all kinds of unscrupulous people selling fake papers, fake certificates, fake vests, fake harnesses, etc.  I have learned from talking to people who are trying to pass off their pets as service dogs that it costs about $75 or so to get a full compliment of fake stuff to pass off your pet as a service dog.  

The only thing we (or businesses, public entities, and public accommodations) can do to fight against this is exactly what cured did with his niece.  And we can ask questions  that might make them squirm.  Oh!  Is your dog a service animal necessary for a disability?  What task is your dog trained to do?   

You are not allowed to ask these questions. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

You are not allowed to ask these questions. 

Yes, you are allowed to ask these questions.

Businesses, public entities, and public accommodations may officially ask these questions.  (Please see the 2010 revision of the ADA regs, Titles II and III, which I've quoted below.  FAQ and the Q&A are easily available on line.)

ADA regs (2010 revision) allow staff to ask two questions: 

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and 

(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. 

AND a private citizen can ask another private citizen whatever they want....just like chengkp75 posted above.

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, there is no requirement for a service dog to be formally trained.  Many people who cannot afford a commercially trained service dog, get by training the animal themselves.  Other people find out haphazardly, that their pet can sense things and do things for their disabled person.  However, there are requirements in the DOJ guidelines on service animal behavior that must be met, whether the animal is commercially trained or not.

Precisely. One of our puppies is serving as a diabetic alert dog for a young girl. They trained her themselves, no formal training.  The little girl pays much more attention to her unicorn dyed, pom pom & crown wearing, service dog than any numbers on a monitor.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

RCI does not use US law to set drinking age onboard.  That is simply a corporate policy depending on where cruises initiate from.  That is an example of an "internal" jurisdiction, which falls under the jurisdiction of the "flag state", not the "port state".  In the overlapping jurisdictions aboard a foreign flag ship in a US port, typically, "port state" law (US) is not applied to the ship unless the "safety or good order" of the port state is affected.  And, as noted in my previous post, SCOTUS has ruled that in the absence of a specific mention of foreign flag cruise ships in the ADA, that in the interest of international harmony, the "internal policies and procedures" of the ship do not fall under the ADA.  See, Spector v NCL.

Actually, there is no requirement for a service dog to be formally trained.  Many people who cannot afford a commercially trained service dog, get by training the animal themselves.  Other people find out haphazardly, that their pet can sense things and do things for their disabled person.  However, there are requirements in the DOJ guidelines on service animal behavior that must be met, whether the animal is commercially trained or not.

Okay, whatever. 

Isn't that what I said about "formal training"?  That there is no formal official training?

There is formal training.  For example, the training for dog guides for the blind is very formal, and it may take months or years.  There are many trainers and training facilities in the US.

Formal training is just not required by law.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Yet you still felt the need to comment on it…

Yes I did comment on it. What is it to you?

7 hours ago, topnole said:

The entire thread is not an argument.  Much of it is a discussion.  People are certainly going to have opinions about others who pretend to have service dogs so they can garner attention.  These folks are selfish and have clearly have zero principles and personal ethics.  Make no mistake, all of the fakers damage public perception which hurts those that really need them.  

What a shocker that people chime in.  Even you did with your opinion.  Are you suggesting that the adults are being childish for caring that some adults do things that cause issues for those who really need these service animals?   

LOL.. That is not what is happening, but to answer your question... I am not suggesting that... I am out right saying it. First, you do not know who has a disability or not, so my first response would be "mind your own business." Before you or anyone else counter with "it is my business," no it is not. It is RCI's business. They will decide what can happen on their ships, and they do not need to solicit the opinions of the general population on board to do it. So, back to what I said before... One should pretend to be an adult and move themselves out of the situation if it is so hard for them to deal with. 

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The thread is about two things 1.Dogs in the MDR and 2.Pot smoking on the balconies. I believe the OP's intentions, aside from venting, was to try to find out if others had experienced these incidents and how to go about them in the future.

The first one, (dog problem) as many suggested before you, is to move to another table -- easy peasy.  The second issue is more challenging as it involves reporting, determining where the smoke is coming from and action by crew to remedy the situation. This multiple step issue is more complicated due to some steps being beyond our control and involves time and cooperation both on our part and on the part of the crew. As most of us are on a cruise to enjoy our limited time relaxing and having a good time, and crew are required to focus on more serious infractions, resolving the skunk pot thing will probably never occur. Like myself, many have tried to report cigarette and cigar smoking on balconies, to no avail. 

I was really only responding to the dog one since that was the majority of the posts up until the time I posted. I agree that most of us are on a cruise to enjoy our limited time relaxing and having a good time. My post was more about the part that we can control. I think we are responsible for our own good time, and allowing things like the dog bother you (not you specifically) is certainly less than adult like, and not taking control of ones own precious time. JMO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I was really only responding to the dog one since that was the majority of the posts up until the time I posted. I agree that most of us are on a cruise to enjoy our limited time relaxing and having a good time. My post was more about the part that we can control. I think we are responsible for our own good time, and allowing things like the dog bother you (not you specifically) is certainly less than adult like, and not taking control of ones own precious time. JMO.

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yes I did comment on it. What is it to you?

LOL.. That is not what is happening, but to answer your question... I am not suggesting that... I am out right saying it. First, you do not know who has a disability or not, so my first response would be "mind your own business." Before you or anyone else counter with "it is my business," no it is not. It is RCI's business. They will decide what can happen on their ships, and they do not need to solicit the opinions of the general population on board to do it. So, back to what I said before... One should pretend to be an adult and move themselves out of the situation if it is so hard for them to deal with. 

Your comparing a discussion board to minding one’s own business on a

cruise.  The entire point of this part of the website is to discuss cruise related topics.  That is not the same issue as how one behaves when encountering a given issue on a cruise.  

Is it wrong for someone to stand up mid show blocking your view to dance.  Happens all the time at shows and concerts.  What about the a fan at a game standing up constantly blocking the view of others.  Assume both are allowed behavior as is the case in many places.  Do folks just mind their own business and move elsewhere?  I bet few do?  Do they talk about it later with others?  I’ll bet almost everyone does.  Does that make them childish for not minding their own business and controlling what they can control.  I think not. 

Half the stuff on here would be childish by your logic.  

But yet it isn’t childish to discuss issues.  It is adult behavior.  There is zero wrong with a healthy discussion (or even passionate discuss) on anything.  Period.  It is never childish to discuss any issue.  In fact we need more open discussion in this world on every topic.  The thing that is ruining society is the fear of talking about issues.  Every one gets offended to easily or results to name calling as in your case calling others a child for talking about an issue.  I personally wouldn’t do anything other than roll my eyes if I see a dog violating Royal policy.  Isn’t going to change my mood one bit.  But I certainly don’t blame someone if that gets their goat and they want to discuss their frustrations with others.  

And for the record many companies have changed policy on such matter due to public push back (see the airlines much tighter restrictions now).  So people talking does make a difference sometimes.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, JamesEM said:

I had a smoker in the balcony next to mine, I leaned over the rail toke a photo on my cell and showed the photo at Guest Services and the problem was resolved that afternoon.

Wow.. You actually leaned over to the other balcony to take a picture? Dang

Your lucky you didnt get caught, it could have gotten ugly for you. Just saying!!

If i caught you taking a picture of our balcony you would be confronted immediately. Not to say "Hi" either.

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Wow.. You actually leaned over to the other balcony to take a picture? Dang

Your lucky you didnt get caught, it could have gotten ugly for you. Just saying!!

If i caught you taking a picture of our balcony you would be confronted immediately. Not to say "Hi" either.

Why? You have no expectation of privacy on a cruise ship deck, especially if you are breaking rules. More power to @JamesEM for documenting it.

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 6

6 pages about the fake service dog.  Pretty much nothing about the "skunk pot"  lol.    Pot is legal medicinally in FL now.  Them folks were just medicating lol.   As far as smoking it on the ship goes, they are fools.   Thats a great way to be thrown off.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 6:49 AM, jean87510 said:

When I was on the Adventure in the fall, there was a number of children with Autism and there were 2 service dogs for 2 of the children.  They were very well behaved and sat under the table in the Windjammer where their owners were.  One woman saw the quiet dogs and actually got an officer to complain about her dog allergy.  The officer directed her to sit elsewhere.  I think people need to make sure their service/emotional support animal is actually that and on the other end, if the animal is quiet and behaved, mind your business and enjoy yourself.  You are on vacation.  

Service animals will never be anywhere other than under the table, they are taught to be as discrete as possible, same with bathroom. they are taught to only go when they are told to go. So many people who do not have trained service animals take advantage of the emotional support but they should NOT be eating from a table at all. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ryano said:

6 pages about the fake service dog.  Pretty much nothing about the "skunk pot"  lol.    Pot is legal medicinally in FL now.  Them folks were just medicating lol.   As far as smoking it on the ship goes, they are fools.   Thats a great way to be thrown off.  

Except that the ship enters the waters of other countries where it is NOT legal.

And the user/transporter could find themselves in jail in a foreign country.

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

Except that the ship enters the waters of other countries where it is NOT legal.

And the user/transporter could find themselves in jail in a foreign country.

In Bermuda, the officials come on board with the dogs. It's a great income stream for them. 

Umm....

The point is not the legality of smoking pot. The point is that smoking anything on your balcony is against RCI rules. It doesn't matter at all if pot is legal or illegal in Florida or any other state or country. You can't smoke it on your ship balcony. Period.

Now, if the discussion was about someone smoking pot in the designated smoking area, then all the debate about legality would be relevant.

That said, personally, I think pot stinks way worse than cigarettes do.

• Like 1

When edibles have become so readily available, I'm not even sure why you'd risk smoking it. As for the dog, I'd have gotten up from the table and let them know I didn't appreciate having dinner with their dog, then gone to the Maître d and asked to have my table changed. Perhaps if enough people made them self conscious about their dog, they'd change it up. I'm a dog person and have 2 myself, but they go to their beds when we eat. They don't join us at the table.  

• Like 4

How does a quiet dog sitting at another table affect your dinner?  It is not licking your plate or eating your food and it's horrible germs are not near you.  What affects your dining experience more - quiet dog at next table or guy with wife beater, shorts, flip-flops and backward ball cap? 

• Like 1

"It doesn’t matter that medical marijuana is allowed in Florida, nor that you have a marijuana medical card. You can’t bring pot or edibles onto a cruise ship."

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-ship-marijuana-cannabis-rules/#:~:text=It doesn't matter that,edibles onto a cruise ship.

Good article that summarizes Ports of Call, etc. regarding the issue.

Edited by At Sea At Peace

16 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

How does a quiet dog sitting at another table affect your dinner?  It is not licking your plate or eating your food and it's horrible germs are not near you.  What affects your dining experience more - quiet dog at next table or guy with wife beater, shorts, flip-flops and backward ball cap? 

While I do enjoy the chance to dress up on formal nights, and the business casual attire most other nights, I could care less about what other people wear as long as they don't smell terrible or disturb other tables with inappropriate behavior. I do have a problem with animals at the table though. I just don't think that humans and animals should be sharing the same table. You want to eat with your dog, go eat on the floor where you belong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

Umm....

The point is not the legality of smoking pot. The point is that smoking anything on your balcony is against RCI rules. It doesn't matter at all if pot is legal or illegal in Florida or any other state or country. You can't smoke it on your ship balcony. Period.

Now, if the discussion was about someone smoking pot in the designated smoking area, then all the debate about legality would be relevant.

Ummm, thank you Captain Obvious but I was clearly talking about the people at the Hilton. Pot is legal medicinally in FL now.   The cops arent gonna do much if anything at all.    We all know that smoking anything on a cruise ship balcony is against the rules.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

Umm....

I think pot stinks way worse than cigarettes do.  Speaking for a "friend" but the odor does not linger like cigarette odor does.

• Like 1