Canada and New England in October. Too chilly?

hokie_fan

I have been eyeing the 6 day Canada and New England cruise that departs Oct 2.  Would this time of year be too chilly to enjoy the pools and deck activities? I could live in the aft pool of the Neiuw Statendam.  My favorite place!  Would this be too late for fall foliage?  I would like to rent a car and  spend a few days in Canada touring around after the cruise if that is possible. Thank you for your help.  

Fall foliage should just be getting good around the first week of October.   Depending on how cool you can take it, the pool may be okay.  I'm sure the hot tub would be fine.  My neighbour uses his hot tub every morning of the year and we live near Niagara Falls, Ontario.

• Like 2

Definitely not too late for fall colours. The peak season for the province of Quebec is late September through early October, so if you are staying at the end of your cruise, you should be timing it perfectly. Of course, the exact timing varies from year to year with the weather, so no iron-clad guarantees.

We took a Canada-New England cruise in 2015, and I just went through my photos taken in and around Quebec City on September 18th. There not a single leaf even starting to turn!

• Like 1

We were in Quebec for 3 days starting Oct.8th in 2017 before embarking on a 12 day cruise. We had one day of cold rain, the others were cool, but nice. The foliage was just shy of full color at that time. Hard to say what this season will be, or when it will reach peak. As far as pool weather, there's a 50% chance ....how much polar bear is in your family tree? lol

If you do the trip, enjoy your cruise.

George

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hokie_fan said:

I have been eyeing the 6 day Canada and New England cruise that departs Oct 2.  Would this time of year be too chilly to enjoy the pools and deck activities? I could live in the aft pool of the Neiuw Statendam.  My favorite place!  Would this be too late for fall foliage?  I would like to rent a car and  spend a few days in Canada touring around after the cruise if that is possible. Thank you for your help.  

Totally off topic and I’ve not done this cruise before, but I have to say:

How about those Hokies!?!  ACC champs!!

• Like 1

I sailed on the Maasdam on a repositioning cruise from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale at the end of her Canada/England season.  There was color in the foliage; it was cool at times; windy and cold at Gaspe; but visiting PEI, it was short shirt sleeve weather day with a light sweater.  Fall is a good time of year for such a cruise, in my opinion.   

• Like 2

We have done two Fall cruises. The first in 2012  ( ex Quebec) the colours were spectacular and in 2018 Oct 13th (ex Montreal) the colours were amazing but not as vibrant as the previous cruise. We had mostly sun on the latter cruise and some sleet in Halifax but it was never really cold. As previous posters have mentioned there can be wind at that time of the year so be prepared to miss the odd port of call. 

Sounds as though sightseeing may still be good. Have you ever driven north from Quebec City around the Gaspe Peninsula? We loved all the lighthouses and rugged coastal scenery. 
https://www.tourisme-gaspesie.com/en/tours/lighthouse-tour.html

There’s a fascinating museum a few hours north of QC about “Canada’s Titanic,” the Empress of Ireland that sank just offshore in the St. Lawrence.

https://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/company/pointe-au-pere-maritime-historic-site/activities

Near there is a popular lobster restaurant, Capital Hommard.

https://capitainehomard.com/en/

We’re on the following cruise (14 days to FLL October 8 to 22 repositioning) which definitely marks the end of the season, though. For example Forillon NP may still be open for visits but the Visitor Center is closed after October 11 when the park’s shoulder season ends. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Definitely not too late for fall colours. The peak season for the province of Quebec is late September through early October, so if you are staying at the end of your cruise, you should be timing it perfectly. Of course, the exact timing varies from year to year with the weather, so no iron-clad guarantees.

We took a Canada-New England cruise in 2015, and I just went through my photos taken in and around Quebec City on September 18th. There not a single leaf even starting to turn!

Mrs Banjo and I have sailed this IT many times, mostly because it is an easy on and off for us with no airline travel required.  Cruising Canada, New England in early October generally has mild temps and the fall colors are most brilliant in early to mid October.  Some of the best color we have seen along the St Lawrence River has been in late October, (well past the peak in our own home state of Massachusetts).

Now, the pool?  I agree with others that because the pool area is covered,  the pool is useable, but it would be a little cool for my taste. The hot tub? That’s always a good option

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you HA hero's.  Sounds like this is doable.  The cruise is priced super reasonable for an inside cabin. Busy itinerary will not allow too much balcony time or pool time so all good there. Thanks for the extra touring advise. I would like to stay about 5 nights or so touring around before returning and have not figured out where tp spend that time. Fall colors here in VA just don't seem to exist anymore.  Leaves tend to just turn brown.  

And YES, This HOKIE fan is pretty darn excited. Let's go HOKIES!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, CruisinShips said:

Probably too cool to enjoy a cabana for the 9/24 Quebec to Boston itinerary?

While not impossible, it is usually not warm enough to comfortably just sit around outdoors by then. On the other hand, it is great for walking/touring without getting overheated. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, CruisinShips said:

Probably too cool to enjoy a cabana for the 9/24 Quebec to Boston itinerary?

This will depend quite a lot on your own most comfortable temperature range and the strength of your desire to be outdoors. My husband spent almost every moment outdoors on our first Crystal cruise from Quebec Sept. 29 - Oct. 6, 2014. Attached is a photo he took of me sitting with him (in a down jacket under a wool blanket) when I joined him for a cup of tea.

It was too cold for me to sit out for hours as he did.

DH emigrated from another of the Arctic nations, however, and will bundle up and sit outside in almost any weather because he loves his fresh air. He emphatically would enjoy a cabana that late in the season IF the weather were mostly clear, not too rainy. He would also be wearing a thick hoodie, down jacket, and have a blanket on his lap, though... YMMV

If you decide to try it because you like brisk weather, may I suggest you consider packing a hot water bottle? That's how I endured outdoor COVID socializing and is also my solution at outdoor evening theatre events at my favorite festival.

willo on Crystal Serenity pool deck 9 October 2014 - 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, willoL said:

This will depend quite a lot on your own most comfortable temperature range and the strength of your desire to be outdoors. My husband spent almost every moment outdoors on our first Crystal cruise from Quebec Sept. 29 - Oct. 6, 2014. Attached is a photo he took of me sitting with him (in a down jacket under a wool blanket) when I joined him for a cup of tea.

It was too cold for me to sit out for hours as he did.

DH emigrated from another of the Arctic nations, however, and will bundle up and sit outside in almost any weather because he loves his fresh air. He emphatically would enjoy a cabana that late in the season IF the weather were mostly clear, not too rainy. He would also be wearing a thick hoodie, down jacket, and have a blanket on his lap, though... YMMV

If you decide to try it because you like brisk weather, may I suggest you consider packing a hot water bottle? That's how I endured outdoor COVID socializing and is also my solution at outdoor evening theatre events at my favorite festival.

willo on Crystal Serenity pool deck 9 October 2014 - 1.jpg

I recognize that spot.  Remember though that the pools on all HAL ships are covered.

Roy

Early October is beautiful weather normally.  I am still wearing my Birks 😉 

But, I am Canadian and don’t take them off until the temps get below 10 Celsius.  

OP, you are from a warmer climate so you might find it chilly for you - but normally the weather is beautiful at that time of the year (it is Fall) and you should be seeing some good fall colours.  if you get cold easily, just pack layers and enjoy 🙂 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 4:06 PM, northernphoenix said:

My cousin and I very much enjoyed this itinerary in last week of September, into October.  Did miss Charlottetown due to high winds...and if you are a Northern Ontario resident the Fall colours seem a bit understated.  

Agreed - nothing beats the colours of Northern Ontario in the fall. I am hoping your definition of Northern Ontario is not the Muskokas but actually Northern Ontario.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:07 AM, Fouremco said:

We went mid October the same year and it was beautiful.  All the leaves were gorgeous.  It even snowed while we were there a bit on two days. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Four little words of advice: Chez Acton - Quebec - Poutine

I don't know if HAL still offers its Poutine Bar on any of its Canada - New England sailings, but we enjoyed some of the best poutine ever on the Maasdam in 2015.

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.4fc1f529e011a72b3978be722d848a7b.jpeg

• Like 2