Same entrees in buffet as in MDR?

LB_NJ

I've seen it happen but it is rare.  One time they had, what's that beef loin with the crust wrapped around it called?, in the buffet.  It was the best meal I've had on X, they cut it to requested amount!   I went back for more but the second time the beef wasn't as high quality as the first cut I had.  I think it's one of those things that if they have too much of something, it can end up on the buffet. 

On 3/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, rmalbers said:

I've seen it happen but it is rare.  One time they had, what's that beef loin with the crust wrapped around it called?, in the buffet.  It was the best meal I've had on X, they cut it to requested amount!   I went back for more but the second time the beef wasn't as high quality as the first cut I had.  I think it's one of those things that if they have too much of something, it can end up on the buffet. 

Beef Wellington?

OK now showing my age. 

Years ago they had a section with white tablecloths and waiter service and served the MDR menu.  It was designed for those that didn't want to dress up for dinner and families traveling with children that wanted a more relaxed atmosphere.  

This was also prior to the introduction of Blu. Luminae and anytime dining.   

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

OK now showing my age. 

Years ago they had a section with white tablecloths and waiter service and served the MDR menu.  It was designed for those that didn't want to dress up for dinner and families traveling with children that wanted a more relaxed atmosphere.  

This was also prior to the introduction of Blu. Luminae and anytime dining.   

And I, as well, am showing my age.  

It was called "casual dining."  I am trying to remember if it was offered on the now departed C-class ships but definitely was offered on the M-class ships.  An evening buffet was still offered, but an area of the Ocean View was cordoned off in the evenings.  Reservations were requested and there was a small fee.  While the menu was not identical to the MDR it was similar but with fewer dishes.  The waiters were supposedly waiters in training, but the service was very professional.  It was discontinued about the time that select (or anytime) dining was introduced.

And now I am really showing my age as I remember the commotion, distress and anger of some posters when select dining was introduced.   There was one poster at the time, who is no longer on CC, who was so angry that some of her posts were out of control.  I never understood the uproar which select dining prompted as traditional is still offered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

OK now showing my age. 

I remember this from my first Celebrity cruise with my elderly mother. It was lovely as we could enjoy MDR quality food without the large crowds, which worked well for her. She passed away a few weeks after the cruise, so it bring back bittersweet memories.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarKay525 said:

I remember this from my first Celebrity cruise with my elderly mother. It was lovely as we could enjoy MDR quality food without the large crowds, which worked well for her. She passed away a few weeks after the cruise, so it bring back bittersweet memories.

Hugs!     Those memories will be with you forever. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

And I, as well, am showing my age.  

It was called "casual dining."  I am trying to remember if it was offered on the now departed C-class ships but definitely was offered on the M-class ships.  An evening buffet was still offered, but an area of the Ocean View was cordoned off in the evenings.  Reservations were requested and there was a small fee.  While the menu was not identical to the MDR it was similar but with fewer dishes.  The waiters were supposedly waiters in training, but the service was very professional.  It was discontinued about the time that select (or anytime) dining was introduced.

And now I am really showing my age as I remember the commotion, distress and anger of some posters when select dining was introduced.   There was one poster at the time, who is no longer on CC, who was so angry that some of her posts were out of control.  I never understood the uproar which select dining prompted as traditional is still offered.

I believe it was a three course dinner and cost $2.00 pp, the waiters were supposedly in training for the MDR. It was technically because they charged a fee Celebrity’s first specifically restaurant.

On 3/14/2022 at 1:10 PM, LB_NJ said:

On the Summit do they typically have the same entrees in the buffet as in the MDR?

Alot of cruise ships do this and just wondering if they do this on the Summit.

You could have "leftovers" the following day but not on the same day.  Even that can be rare...