Set sail tomorrow, covid test not back!!!

HI,

We are a family cruising tomorrow with my elderly parents. One of them hasn't received their results as of now. What can we do? We are traveling from Orlando to miami! They contacted the CVS from which they had their test from and they said they would send it to them. It's not here! I tried to make an appointment at the port and that has since expired. Thank you for any help in this matter!

Lisa

Sucks, I'm sure Carnival will have an option for you if you still don't hear back. You may not like the price but I'm nearly certain that they have contingencies for this type of situation. It's too bad that we can't bring tests from home ourselves and just have them watch us take them as a backup. It would be cheaper all around. They could have observers right at the port running 15 min intervals. It would be impossible for many thousands but it's frustrating that many of us have the exact same tests, but are forced to pay ridiculous sums. The non-proctored tests are the exact same as the emed proctored-tests but cost so much less. I really hope a testing opt out option will be granted by the CDC soon. I'm worried about this too and it's super irritating.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sucks, I'm sure Carnival will have an option for you if you still don't hear back. You may not like the price but I'm nearly certain that they have contingencies for this type of situation. It's too bad that we can't bring tests from home ourselves and just have them watch us take them as a backup. It would be cheaper all around. They could have observers right at the port running 15 min intervals. It would be impossible for many thousands but it's frustrating that many of us have the exact same tests, but are forced to pay ridiculous sums. The non-proctored tests are the exact same as the emed proctored-tests but cost so much less. I really hope a testing opt out option will be granted by the CDC soon. I'm worried about this too and it's super irritating.  

This is the reason I keep a stash of the eMed tests with me at all times -- and I always travel with a set for me and my traveling companions (be it husband or a girlfriend that's traveling with me), because you never know when you might get stranded somewhere and need a negative test to get home OR the opportunity to take another last-minute trip requiring a test presents itself. They aren't cheap, but my peace of mind is worth the up-charge. I can barely depend on CVS or Walgreens to fill my prescription in a timely manner.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

OP,  the airport will definitely have a testing option that will likely be the same amount as a last-minute test by Carnival at the pier. I believe it was $80 for the Antigen test at the Miami airport and you can walk-up in the baggage claim area. Results in 15 minutes.

• Like 2

This happened within our family also (back in August on Mardi Gras) and the test results arrived like 2 days into the cruise.  🙄

Two members of our group had to get up first thing the morning of the cruise, search out an urgent care facility near Port Canaveral and stand in line an hour before they opened.  Back then there weren't near as many testing options (cruising had recently resumed) but it still worked out.  They were tested and on board by about 2:00.  You should be able to find a testing site on your way or near the port, or as a last resort at the airport.

And not that this helps you now, but ever since then, the only way our entire will test is with the EMed proctored tests (so much less stressful).

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

I'd find a CVS along the way and try to do an antigen test.  No cost with insurance.  The places at the port or airport will want payment up front.

Idk if you had a test from CVS lately. Now you need a new reason other than travel. I checked that I'd been somewhere that I couldn't social distance in order to check a reason to get covered. Cvs questions changed. I'm having mine friday a.m. fingers crossed.

• Like 5

In my area it’s difficult to find a cvs with rapid testing. Walgreen’s ID now may be a better shot. Or, worst case you’ll just have to pay for the test. On my last trip we ended up paying for 3 tests each. Not ideal but just looked at as a price of trip.

• Like 2

In October while waiting in line to get my under 5 year old their pre-cruise test in the terminal two people in line ahead of us were getting tested in the terminal because they had tested too early so their only option was to pay the $100 pp to test at the terminal. Its not cheap but a good backup. 

Forgive my ignorance in all this, but we got the free government covid tests.  Can we use those to test?  Or even like take them in the terminal with us and test there while someone watches?  I'm hoping this testing thing drops by our June cruise.  It's truly my only worry about this trip.

8 minutes ago, jsjjkelly said:

Forgive my ignorance in all this, but we got the free government covid tests.  Can we use those to test?  Or even like take them in the terminal with us and test there while someone watches?  I'm hoping this testing thing drops by our June cruise.  It's truly my only worry about this trip.

Unfortunately you cannot, it needs to be the proctored test if you are going to do it at home. 

8 minutes ago, jsjjkelly said:

No you can not since those tests are not proctored they would not be able to verify who took it or when it was taken etc.  The terminal is not set up for proctored tests either.  I too can't wait for the testing requirement to drop but I do not foresee that before June.

• Like 2

I also suggest a Walgreens, but not sure if they do “walk-ins,” tested at 1030 this morning and results at 1225. But CVS may come through for you, had similar experience with husband receiving results long before me but tested at same time. 

Orlando MCO airport has a rapid test clinic for $65.00.  It took me about 20 minutes and I had my results.  The clinic is operated by AdventHealth and it is by Gate 1, past the food court.  They do both appointments and walk ups.  

If there is a Med Express in the area, get there as soon as it opens and phone them from the parking lot and follow their instructions after completing their check in process.  We get our test results within 90 minutes of arrival.

4 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Nearly all airport-based COVID testing sites are beyond security - it won’t be an option for the OP.

That's not what I've seen posted. What airports have testing beyond TSA checkpoints?

add: I just checked and MCO/Orlando and MIA both have testing before TSA.

Edited by mondello
Add

4 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Nearly all airport-based COVID testing sites are beyond security - it won’t be an option for the OP.

Not at Cincinnati. We actually got tested there the day before our flight just to have the results early. 

Edited by sanger727

19 hours ago, jsjjkelly said:

I am not sure if i am allowed to post their link but there is a company called  Azova that will proctor your test from your government online. For a fee then send you your paperwork with in an hour. 

• Like 2