Helicopter Pad

W283386

Not all sail always are exciting.     We were on the Helipad for departure out of Cape Liberty.   Beautiful Day but after a half hour nothing happened.   About 15 minutes later the staff said there had been a medical emergency and we wouldn't be sailing for awhile and asked us to leave.... Oh well.  At least we got some good Photos of the 911 Memorial at the port.

About an hour later we were back in our room and I noticed land moving by and hadn't  even realize we had left port.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I've also seen many people sent back to their room to get close toe shoes.   Please respect your hosts requirements, there are safety reasons involved.

On Equinox back in November got two invites, one from suites and one from loyalty.  While they were sending people back for shoes, they did have some available right at the entrance to the pad.  The guy with the size 13 actually found a pair he could wear.

We have been invited a few times - it is really an interesting thing to do.  I do think is an invitation thing.  We have always sailed in a suite or Aqua class.  The last time we were all gathered to go onto the helipad - and it was getting quite past the time we were to have gone out.  We had to leave so did not go out.  We noticed all the people gathered seemed to also be from the suites (during Covid and ship was only 1/4 full, so easy to recognize people).  We left because it was an Alaska sailing, and we had booked to get on a smaller boat and do a sail into the glaciers, while the ship continued on through the glaciers.  When we re-boarded the ship later, it turns out the helipad never happened because of the weather.   (Unfortunately for those onboard it turns out they also did not get to go anywhere near the glaciers due to the weather and amount of ice)

So if you do get an invite - for sure take the time to go.  It may be a morning sail in or an afternoon sail out.  We did one in the afternoon off the coast of Sweden, and they played ABBA - that was quite fun.

2 hours ago, danceswithphones said:

We were parked in front of the Constellation the last time I was in St. Thomas. Looked like they had a bar set up.

Interesting picture.  I've never seen the bar setup, but they usually have Champagne and OJ available on arrival and waiters walking around with trays for refill. 

For the most part it is the novelty of being invited and being there.  We went a few times just because of that.  

We no longer go when we get the invite.  There are much better and more comfortable areas to view the sail away.  

This is our experience and opinion  and I am sure others will have different.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

We were invited a few years ago on the Reflection while in Concierge Class.    It was enjoyable.  They hand out champagne or orange juice, have cold towels and there are great photo ops.  Just being out there is neat.    It does get extremely windy when you set sail/sailing but you are on the front of the ship without any barriers. 😉  On my most recent cruise on the Equinox in '21 in Aqua, we weren't invited.  That was ok.   However,  if we get invited on another cruise,  I would definitely go again.   As someone else mentioned,  you have to wear closed toe shoes.  For most people that would be fine but the only closed toe shoes I bring on a cruise are water shoes if I need them for climbing rocks in the water or something (they do look like low profile sneakers though), so I had to wear them. 😅  

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

On our B2B on Reflection we were invited with other suite guest to the helo pad for our departure from Nassau on the first leg.  Was at sunset and as we started to make the turn out of the harbor a pod of porpoise decided to join us and swim in our bow wake for a short while.

On the second leg, we were invited as part of Captains Club for the sail into Nassau.  It was nice but not quite as much as leaving port was.  Plus there were no porpoise in sight.

• Like 1

Our most recent invitation to a sailaway on the helipad was in December on the Silhouette (Concierge Class invitation), as we were leaving Philipsburg, Sint Maarten.  No question that sailing into or away from most Caribbean islands doesn't present the same visual magnificence as sailing into or away from a major city, but that evening, at least, we were heading directly into the setting sun, allowing me to capture this unobstructed image from a relatively low position on the ship.

00-AnDBmgxzWX57XBG2JMEg9XYDZmy54-a0FwMsKoVxOUe8eff7vAqr65nOkmOjKkX1qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647691653

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2022 at 7:56 PM, odysee said:

We were invited several times to helipad for sail away or sailing into port with drinks and nibbles (before Covid) and think it was due to Elite Plus status

We have also been invited many times through the captains club and have attended maybe half the time, nice if it’s a good sail away but not too bothered about being asked again! The weather can be a problem, sometimes windy.

15 hours ago, miched said:

For the most part it is the novelty of being invited and being there.  We went a few times just because of that.  

We no longer go when we get the invite.  There are much better and more comfortable areas to view the sail away.  

This is our experience and opinion  and I am sure others will have different.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Agree with what you say,Dianne

Our first time was when our TA friend got our group of 31 family and friends invited in Santorini (see the FUNNIEST Celebrity cruise story thread).

Since then, we've been invited a few times when sailing in Concierge or Aqua, all in scenic places. My favorite was sailing into Akureyri, Iceland. The fjord was lovely and people were very kind about taking turns at the bow.

The last time was in September 2021, sailing out of Ketchikan, Alaska. We met another couple from SoCal, and got to talking. It turns out that they used to live not too far from us and they owned a TV shop a couple of doors down from the TA office then owned by my TA's parents. It was my TA's dad who got them hooked on cruising in the 80's, when my TA and I were in high school. 

• Like 1

Took my late Mother in 2018 and we were bumped to concierge.  Got the invite, didn't think Mom could manage it but she did.  Wonderful arrival into Sitka.  A fellow guest came up to us and offered to take our photo.  Probably the best photo ever taken of us. She kept that photo bedside in hospice. Thank you stranger.

• Like 6

On our Summit cruise last Summer, we were invited to 3 different helipad sailaways.  One was for all Captains Club members Elite and above (small sailing--450 passengers), one was for all suite passengers, and the other was for all "higher suite" passengers (we were in RS).  We went to one of them. It was very interesting to see that part of the ship and all the shoreside preparations for sailing away, and it was fun to be up there for a little while.  We didn't hang around for long after the ship actually got underway, though.  At that point, we felt like we were just standing around in the Sun waiting for something to happen.

I might go back out there for a particularly interesting sail in or sail away, but not 
"just because." I'm just as happy chatting with folks at a bar as I am chatting with folks on the helipad. 😁

I'm glad they do it for those who enjoy it, though, and I don't mean to discourage anyone from checking it out.  I'm glad we did it!

On 3/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, W283386 said:

I have been watching the Summit leave Miami for the past few weeks and noticed that there are passengers on the helicopter pad.  Is this open to everyone or is it an invitation only event.  I have only been on 5 Celebrity sailings but I am in a sky suite.   Any chance of attending?

We've been invited three times in our last 5 Celebrity sailings... we are not Elite or anything, and were only in an oceanview one of those times (standard balcony the other 2), no special status, no future cruises booked or anything... nothing remarkable at all to explain our invitations.  It was interesting enough... you get to chat with various senior staff, and they give you a champagne or mimosa as you step through onto the helipad... a photographer takes random unposed photos, the view is pretty amazing at first.. but then it gets windy as the ship starts to pick up speed and that's about when the staff usher everyone back in - the whole thing lasts about 20 minutes or so. As was previously mentioned, you must wear closed toed shoes (no flipflops) and you must be able to comfortably climb some stairs and step over a rather high threshold to access the helipad.  Definitely a great photo-op for a first time doing it, and a neat experience but it loses it's luster after a couple of times. 

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned from the Connie & were invited to the Heli-pad for 2 Sail-Outs & 1 Sail-In...

The first was our departure from Tampa - this was the first cruise for SIL & BIL - therefore, we spent a long time out there - may have enjoyed 2 Mimosas - it was very sunny & warm...

I think think the invites were a combo of Captain's Club & Cabin...

It was GREAT to be back on the water...

We've done a few fishing & Kenai Fjord Cruises during C-19 to keep us going.

But nothing compares to extended time on the water 🙂

Happy Sailing All - from the Heli-pad, Sunset Bar or Aft-Facing Balcony - Life is Better on the water!!!

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 8:21 PM, talljules1 said:

A helipad sailaway (or sail in) is something I'd love to do.Not happened yet, but I remain hopeful.  We have 3 cruises in suites this year so fingers crossed.

Just go on any Royal Caribbean ship out of Radiance, Voyager or Freedaom Class and you can do it every day. Free and always open.

• Like 1

It is nice. The only invite that we turned down was the sail into Venice. We knew that it would be crazy on the helipad so we skipped it to find a less crowded area. One thing I like about Royal Caribbean. Their Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class all have open helipads where anyone can go up for sail away. The Oasis class requires an invite.

We will attend sail away events on the helipad if it is from a nice and scenic port that is protected (from the wind).  Venice comes to mind- or the fjord ports in the Baltic.  Other than that- no advantage to it.  

We were on the Summit for the March 19 sailing and the helipad sail away out of Miami was open to everyone! They just announced it on the loudspeaker about 20 minutes ahead of time. There were also complimentary drinks (servers had trays with three different kinds of drinks to choose from). Granted, we only had 640 on board, so I'm sure that's not how they typically do it. But as we were not in any kind of special class of cabin, we were glad to get a chance to do a sail away. It was our first time on Celebrity, and a neat way to start our cruise.

• Like 1

Our best helipad sail away was down the Grand Canal in Venice when ships could still do that. The sun was setting and all the small boats and water taxis were around us. Celebrity was playing the song by Andrea Bocelli Time to Say Goodbye or Con te parttiro.

It was one in a lifetime experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PSU said:

Our best helipad sail away was down the Grand Canal in Venice when ships could still do that. The sun was setting and all the small boats and water taxis were around us. Celebrity was playing the song by Andrea Bocelli Time to Say Goodbye or Con te parttiro.

It was one in a lifetime experience.

On my first Celebrity cruise, we sailed into Venice listening to Andrea Boccelli on the sound system; I still get chills thinking about it!!!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, canderson said:

One of the more enjoyable helipad arrivals was Stockholm.  They got us out early enough to fully appreciate the full 'inland passage' approach to the Frihamnsgatan cruise port.

I was fortunate enough to be on the bridge when approaching the 28 miles into Stockholm.  That was a wonderful experience. 😊

• Like 1