Is it time to replace Johnny Rockets?

We enjoy the complimentary breakfast and go once it twice each cruise. It is a nice change. Sadly, JR has been closed for breakfast on several of our recent oasis class  cruises. I fear that the bean counters will see the popularity and start charging for breakfast. 

m

Hello,

I could not get my head, or tongue, around a bowl of hot chilli with raw chopped onions on top in JR's on board the Indy!

And Jamie Oliver's insistence on odd chairs/cutlery/crockery tells me it's all hype. I've a voucher to use on my next cruise and he won't be getting it.

What I would like to see is either a good Chinese or a good Indian - P&O serves Indian food to perfection.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 3

I wouldn't personally pay for Johnny Rockets on a cruise because I can go to Johnny Rockets pretty much anywhere I go on land. It's like putting a McDonalds on a cruise ship and then having a cover charge.

If it was included in the cruise fare, like Carnival does with Guy's Burgers, then sure. I'd go have a burger once or twice for lunch. But honestly, it's nothing special that I can't get at home, and when I'm on a cruise ship I want the cruise ship experience. Johnny Rockets is literally all over the place on land, so it's no big deal to me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

5 Guys

But only if included. Seriously, when I'm on vacation, I want something I can't get within a 2-minute drive at home. Johnny Rockets (okay, more like a 10-minute drive for that one) and Five Guys are all over the place on land, so why would I pay a cover charge to get them on a cruise ship when there's already so much included food, or upcharges for specialty restaurants unique to the ship?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DukeASUGirl said:

But only if included. Seriously, when I'm on vacation, I want something I can't get within a 2-minute drive at home. Johnny Rockets (okay, more like a 10-minute drive for that one) and Five Guys are all over the place on land, so why would I pay a cover charge to get them on a cruise ship when there's already so much included food, or upcharges for specialty restaurants unique to the ship?

Now under that principle, I'd be all over a White Castle or Krystal.  The closest Krystal to us is New Orleans and I'm not sure if Vegas is the closest White Castle but it's the most convenient from a frequent-travel standpoint.  All over the place for some of you - exotic forbidden fruit for me.

(for us, there appears to be ONE Johnny Rockets within a few hours drive here - still never been.)

I'm sure until there's crickets and cobwebs in that venue, or until someone starts waving around a stack of money, I don't think it's a priority for RC to go changing that just yet.  

1 hour ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Johnny Rockets with the 50's decor on land doesn't have staff dancing to 70's music do they?

18 hours ago, Vibe said:

Guy's Burgers on Carnival does not have an additional charge. Can't believe people are willing to pay extra for Johnny Rockets, but they do.

I know but for me it is about the breakfast.  My room will be over the boardwalk and 4 decks above JR.

Perhaps I can jump down.  or NOT ha ha

8 hours ago, CaroleC said:

We’re on Iona in 2 weeks and Wonder in July. Can’t wait to experience them both 🤩

excellent taste you have doing two new ships in the same year.  Look at the You Tube video put out by P&O as it is really good.  Such a pretty ship.  

I am just doing Wonder and decided against the new DCL WISH.

But next year I will sail the new NCL Prima and Cel Beyond. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mcgore83 said:

I would not miss it.  Burgers are overpriced.  My guess is alot of people go there to just get an familiar, American burger.  And yes, I know not all passengers are Americans.  Just making a guess.

How are the burgers overpriced when it just cost $9.99 to eat all you can eat for whatever is on the menu??? To say that is to say you never even been in one to eat on a cruise. 

Edited by bigque
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We always enjoy it once a cruise. Nice break from typical cruise food.

We do that also usually on the 2nd sea day. After eating in the Windjammer all week a good burger, fries, onion rings is a good break. And you can’t beat the price to order whatever you want. 

13 hours ago, ajoneen said:

Regarding Quantum:
I saw an article that when it went to dry dock 2019 JR became The Noodle Shop because the ship was supposed to cruise in asian waters for a while.

I’ve seen two reviews- one had the Noodle Shop and the most recent had a different name Splash-away Cafe. But as you can see in the picture below it has retained the More asian look. 
I will be interested to see if it still looks like that when I sail in July to Alaska. 

E1D140AD-680C-4B85-AC42-14E285017998.jpeg

I am wondering too (we are on her in August). Will you update us?

35 minutes ago, bigque said:

Now that is an overrated burger joint!

Coming from NJ, we went there once and didn't think it wasn't anything special but Californians rave about it.

I like "Five Guys " better...........

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

Now under that principle, I'd be all over a White Castle or Krystal.  The closest Krystal to us is New Orleans and I'm not sure if Vegas is the closest White Castle but it's the most convenient from a frequent-travel standpoint.  All over the place for some of you - exotic forbidden fruit for me.

(for us, there appears to be ONE Johnny Rockets within a few hours drive here - still never been.)

I'm sure until there's crickets and cobwebs in that venue, or until someone starts waving around a stack of money, I don't think it's a priority for RC to go changing that just yet.  

Agree. Living in East Central Illinois, have never seen a Johnny Rockets, and the only 5 Guys is a half hour away in Indiana. With that being said, the wife likes the free JR breakfast on the Allure, will probably frequent it again February...

1 hour ago, bigque said:

How are the burgers overpriced when it just cost $9.99 to eat all you can eat for whatever is on the menu??? To say that is to say you never even been in one to eat on a cruise. 

Yes, I have, on the Independence and Allure.  I will stick by my comment.  You don't have to agree.

31 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

Since the Allure is being moved to Galveston, maybe JR should be replaced by Whataburger 🙂

Chop House Cheddar Burger 🍔 mmmm

Closest W to me now is 178m in FL

Great idea W would be a great fit on ALL Oasis class ships

1 hour ago, bigque said:

It's not "just" $9.99.  You have already paid for food on the ship.  The $9.99 is over and above that.

• Like 1

I go on a cruise to do and eat things in a way we don't see every day.

I admit the $10 is reasonable compared to the other upsell restaurants, but it's not quite experiential... nor is it different from what we can get at home.  Plus I can get all I can eat burgers and fries in Windjammer... every meal, every day.

And in a moment of complete hypocrisy, I don't think twice about grabbing a slice at Sorrentos... or a burger or side of fries at Guys when we are on CCL.  But those are free/already paid for.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fries at the “In”are garbage. The burgers are okay.  Five has peanuts, if the food sucks that day. So, not all bad. Johnny Rockets is pretty good, but I really don’t want a burger too often on a cruise. (Yes, I know there is more than burgers) 

so switch it out for Moroccan, Indian, Greek, or Colonial Sanders and we’d probably go more often. 

• Like 1