Luxury cruising for the not so well-to-do?

elycelynne

Little things like no fresh squeezed orange juice.   You had it on Crystal......it disappeared from SB and SS long ago.   The list has grown over the years for SS and SB.   Crystal maintained a semblance of luxury until its death.   What keeps them from being luxury to me today is noting the decline over 22 years.

1 hour ago, saminina said:

Little things like no fresh squeezed orange juice.   You had it on Crystal......it disappeared from SB and SS long ago.   The list has grown over the years for SS and SB.   Crystal maintained a semblance of luxury until its death.   What keeps them from being luxury to me today is noting the decline over 22 years.

I did not find Crystal to be luxury

no classic cocktails in the included drinks, do not ask the bar staf to make  one unless it is alcohol  with a mixer  they do not know how

evening buffet closed ... the farce of the meat buffet  was just  annoying

You sit there waiting for the skewers of meat to come around to the table   that is not luxury

Luxury??

What is Luxury anyway?

54 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

no classic cocktails in the included drinks, do not ask the bar staf to make  one unless it is alcohol  with a mixer  they do not know how

You sit there waiting for the skewers of meat to come around to the table   that is not luxury

Luxury??

What is Luxury anyway?

Your experience on Crystal was a 180 from what the vast majority of long time Crystal cruisers experienced. That being said, there are those of us who wish we could have the Crystal experience again, no matter what you choose to call it. 😜

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Your experience on Crystal was a 180 from what the vast majority of long time Crystal cruisers experienced. That being said, there are those of us who wish we could have the Crystal experience again, no matter what you choose to call it. 😜

Many people just get used to what the line offers & do not want to see any changes

I guess I am just not sure what luxury is ??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Luxury??

What is Luxury anyway?

Are you referring to their attempt at a Brazilian themed restaurant?   That was no pretense of luxury.

Crystal did a good job hiring pianists that were not just piano players thumping on the instrument.

I know nothing about cocktails.    I drink single malt scotch.  Not all types are on the included list.  Surely, you get the idea that the included list is limited.

19 minutes ago, saminina said:

Are you referring to their attempt at a Brazilian themed restaurant?   That was no pretense of luxury.

Crystal did a good job hiring pianists that were not just piano players thumping on the instrument.

I know nothing about cocktails.    I drink single malt scotch.  Not all types are on the included list.  Surely, you get the idea that the included list is limited.

Yes the Brazillian farce 

Other lines also have pianists & piano players  that are very good

Is that what Luxury is? 🤔

The one thing we did like was the coffee place  you could get something to eat  when dinner was  not that good

we often had some snacks after dinner  & before the show

Lux cruise lines (and lux accommodations in premium lines) are having supply and labor shortage problems like all of us onshore are having. This is unfortunate, as this is not reflected in the fares for us.  I recently read a post about a couple who had a penthouse suite on Regent that is soon to sail, saying that due to the labor shortage a butler could not be provided ( as usual with that booking). They were offered $1000 OBC pp instead. Sounds good? Well, on Regent with most things included, it is really hard to spend $1000 pp on board credit. And the OBC is not refundable if not all spent at cruise end. And with the problem of airline unreliability that exists now, we will just stay out until many things improve.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, Dolebludger said:

Lux cruise lines (and lux accommodations in premium lines) are having supply and labor shortage problems like all of us onshore are having. This is unfortunate, as this is not reflected in the fares for us.  I recently read a post about a couple who had a penthouse suite on Regent that is soon to sail, saying that due to the labor shortage a butler could not be provided ( as usual with that booking). They were offered $1000 OBC pp instead. Sounds good? Well, on Regent with most things included, it is really hard to spend $1000 pp on board credit. And the OBC is not refundable if not all spent at cruise end. And with the problem of airline unreliability that exists now, we will just stay out until many things improve.  

I was on a recent cruise where they gave everyone $300 OBC.  Some of the folks were trying to figure out how to spend it.  They wound up buying ship hats, shirts, etc. as gifts.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:48 PM, Rothko1 said:

I was on a recent cruise where they gave everyone $300 OBC.  Some of the folks were trying to figure out how to spend it.  They wound up buying ship hats, shirts, etc. as gifts.

It's a ridiculous gesture on cruises where 95% of things are already included. There's only so many people the extra cost spa can handle over the course of 7 days. 

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It's a ridiculous gesture on cruises where 95% of things are already included. There's only so many people the extra cost spa can handle over the course of 7 days. 

Ambivalent about the spa, but $300 OBC sees me home with some bottles of much appreciated Montrachet or Opus One in my suitcase.  Nice way to remember my cruise down the road.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, Dolebludger said:

I'd used it to buy a glass of Luis XII, if it was allowed. Or a nice watch or fancy booze.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 5:03 PM, EngIceDave said:

I used to dislike lobster, basically the same reasons or you could add in "buttered rubber," so I get it.

Trust me, as a picky eater, don't give up, blame the line cook. Bland and mushy means undercooked and rubbery is overcooked. Like a really nice fatty cod, when properly cooked it really is soft and smooth like butter, not mushy or firm.

Your tongue will know right away.

Don't give up

Properly cooked lobster is not chewy, or rubbery.  If it is it’s been over-cooked which is difficult to avoid in the ships’ hotel catering type kitchens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 6:23 PM, elycelynne said:

I was just curious as to how someone who is obviously not well-off (meaning me) would be regarded on a luxury cruise line (such as Regent, Silverseas or Seabourn)?  I'm neat and presentable (even though I'm way too "fluffy"), but any jewelry I have is costume, my clothes and accessories aren't designer (far from it) and I'm sure would be spotted as such by those in the know.  Would I be scorned by other passengers?  Am I overthinking this too much and would I just be wise to grab something if it looks too good to pass up?  I don't have any plans for the near future, but was wondering in general.

We spent over 30 years with mass market lines (with a rare splurge on something better) before we started doing more cruising on luxury lines.  Perhaps we were among the poorest (financially) on our cruises but what we found were that the folks on luxury lines were actually more friendly, open, fun, etc. than we have found on most mass market cruises.  Most cruisers on luxury lines are simply out to have a good time, socialize, and enjoy!   Yes, you are dealing with many folks who are wealthy, successful, and appreciate the good things in life, but we have never felt judged.   We have found more snobbism on HAL than on any other line where folks wear their medallions and pins so everyone knows that they cruise a lot on that line.  When we were on Seabourn and Crystal there were no medallions, pins, etc..but just nice folks.

Another shocker is that many folks on the luxury lines do not wear expensive jewelry.  Yes, there are some that do dress to the "nines" and many others who could care less about impressing others.  So yes, I do think you are "overthinking" and if you can find a good deal on a luxury line you should snag that deal, go have a great time, be yourself, and have a ball.  You are more likely to be judged based on what comes out of your mouth rather than what is on your body.

Hank

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 11:09 AM, SireDoime said:

Thanks for asking this. I am going on, hopefully, my first Regent cruise next year (RSS Splendor, European Transatlantic - Rome to Miami) and I bought all my clothes from JC Penny and Target! The JCP ones look much nicer and country-clubish.

After seeing pictures of people's closets from their suites, it was clear that I will have no problem fitting in on Regent.

Now Cunard, might be another story. I would like to sail/cross the Atlantic or Pacific on a real ocean liner one day, and Cunard is the only one building them.

I got a suit off the rack at JCP that fits perfectly and looks great (according to the Admiral [my wife], totally put what I saved in the cruising account. Agree, I'd like to do the Cunard trip as well.  

• 2 months later...

Some lines have formal nights, others don't.

Azamara, among others , suggest "resort casual".

Azamara may not be a true luxury line, however would be a good place to start.  Their smaller ships are lovely, itineraries very good, and they really are "all inclusive". 

Have a look at their site, and don't forget to check out the "last minute deals".

• 1 month later...

~ We have looked at some Cruising for the not so well off , And when We make that Leap into the Exclusive League ! ~ Will let you all know how it is , and Wuz to be on that style of cruising . 

We have been loyal to one Cruise  Line for so Long , It has almost reached a level of why go anywhere else . Celebrity / RCCL has been good to us thou . 

And our Youngest Daughter is off to College Next Year ... So we are just trying to Cruise at one day at a time . 

Hope Your Having A Nice Day ! 

J.L. & Bree 

• 2 weeks later...

I am intrigued by the new MSC  luxury line: Explora Journeys. Their web site shows  lovely staterooms , multiple dining venues , multiple pools and lovely common space.  The first ship will be sailing in late July 2023.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Azulann said:

I am intrigued by the new MSC  luxury line: Explora Journeys. Their web site shows  lovely staterooms , multiple dining venues , multiple pools and lovely common space.  The first ship will be sailing in late July 2023.

Many luxury cruisers have thought the same, but are waiting until after they actually sail to make a booking. Feed back is needed as MSC itself gets very mixed reviews from US residents. Will they actually be able to provide a luxury product?

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Many luxury cruisers have thought the same, but are waiting until after they actually sail to make a booking. Feed back is needed as MSC itself gets very mixed reviews from US residents. Will they actually be able to provide a luxury product?

I an aware the company did spend a lot of money  to attract top people from other lines and Moet as complimentary bubbles 

Fares are going up : my cruise booked for late august went up with 25 % 

I say go for the luxury cruise.

My wife and I choose to cruise less often and then splurge on Crystal.
We have sailed on 2 Crystal cruises and have the 3rd one booked to Alaska next year.

‘There is no doubt that we are the “poorest” couple on the ship but that doesn’t intimidate us and certainly doesn’t bother our fellow cruisers.

We have made life-long friends aboard Crystal who make more money in one week than we make in a decade!

I repeat my opening statement…GO FOR IT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Looks like your wish was granted, but for a higher price.