Zuiderdam drug bust

kura

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Profiling suggested that a 27 year old passenger on HAL was not usual! 😉

Here's a thought....."Polynesian Ambassador".  They do have people (not sure how many) onboard the longer cruises related to the destinations you are going to.  Would be interesting to find out if one of them "disappeared" after Raiatea.

Linda R.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder who searches bags being loaded in San Diego.  Port Security or Ship Security?

Roy

It would be the terminal's security, but don't believe any bags are opened for searches.  Whether all bags are subject to dog searches is unknown, but that would likely be a service requested of the DEA or local LEO's.  It depends on the ISPS systems for both the HAL ship and the terminal as to whether drug searches are routine or not.  If the drugs were in vacuum sealed coverings, that makes it hard to detect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder who searches bags being loaded in San Diego.  Port Security or Ship Security?

That's the Holland Line Pop Quiz for today......

• Haha 3

Good thing he did not try this stunt in Singapore - penalties are little harsher than 10 years in jail. What on earth would the small island population do with that value of drugs?  Must be linked to a much wider distribution system.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Good thing he did not try this stunt in Singapore - penalties are little harsher than 10 years in jail. What on earth would the small island population do with that value of drugs?  Must be linked to a much wider distribution system.

According to the article 

"More than four kilograms of the drug were found in the suitcase.

A subsequent search of his cabin turned up a further 15 kilograms of methamphetamine in other luggage."

It appears that this port was only in line for around 4 kgs..... 

2 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I've never really priced drugs, but is 21kg really worth $50M? That a good bit higher than I'd have expected.

Average street price for crystal meth in US is $50/gram, so the 21kg would be just over $1 million.  But, depending on location, and purity, that can go as high as $500/gram, or $10 million.

As for detecting it, using scanners,  crystal meth could be placed in things like a talcum powder container, etc, to disguise what it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Here's a thought....."Polynesian Ambassador".  They do have people (not sure how many) onboard the longer cruises related to the destinations you are going to.  Would be interesting to find out if one of them "disappeared" after Raiatea.

Linda R.

All the Polynesian Ambassadors got off in Raiatea. None of them was close to 27 years old!

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Terminal Security scanners found my Leatherman tool with small blade  mistakenly left in my luggage a number of years ago.  I experienced the naughty room that is often discussed here on CC.

Just had the same experience on the Nieuw Statendam 3 weeks ago. And the naughty room was also full of travel irons and clothes steamers. The bags are absolutely checked.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Port (contract) Security initially, and when they locate something on their screen which doesn't look right, they will notify ship security and, in this case (San Diego), San Diego Port Police

Awesome job in Tahiti by ship security and (in this case) the French Gendarmerie Nationale

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2