POLL: Served or Self-Served

Preference to be Served, or Self-Service at Windjammer buffet?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to be served at the Winjammer Buffet?

• Staff Serves me pre-portioned food
    • Staff serves me amount of food I want
    • Prefer Self-Service - with gloves
    • Prefer Self-service without gloves or handling gear
    • Staying away from Windjammer - MDR or other free venues
    • Staying away from Winjammer - Premium restaurants
    • Self Isolating - Room Service

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/24/2023 at 06:48 PM

We were on Symphony 1/29-2/6 and ate in the Windjammer every morning for breakfast, bar one day when we slept too late so had lunch instead.  Perhaps because we never got there until 11 AM, it was never crowded.  It was our first experience with being served and we found it very nicely done.  Now the ship was at about 60% occupancy so that also played a part.  I did appreciate the effort done to keep the food from being touched by many hands.

• Like 1

According to this article it is going back to being served by waitstaff. 

"........several cruisers posted about the return to a self-service buffet. Passengers onboard Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, and Freedom of the Seas mentioned their sailing has returned to self-service, with crew members no longer serving guests at buffets," DeLaurentis reported.

That change, however, proved short-lived. Royal Caribbean made clear to ******* which is not affiliated with the cruise line, that while the change had happened, it was not permanent.

"Royal Caribbean crew members continue to serve guests at Windjammer across the fleet. While there was self-service on some ships today, crew will be serving guests tomorrow again in Windjammer," according to the cruise line.

The cruise line did not say when it might revisit this issue again or why it went to a self-service model for a single day."

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/royal-caribbean-brings-back-a-controversial-cruise-favorite

• Like 1

I don't mind being served at the buffet WHEN THERE ARE ENOUGH STAFF TO MAKE IT WORK.

I've never seen adequate staffing for this. 

Only ONE staffer handing out plates and tableware, all the way at the front of the buffet.  Why can't they have someone at the back, too? 

One staffer dishing out food at the various islands where there are 2-3 counters of dishes on offer.  If the server has his back to you, you just don't get anything until you holler loud enough for them to turn around and see you.  Or, as I experienced on Jewel, only one staffer for every 3-4 different islands.

One person for each section of 6+ different hot dishes, so only one person can be served at a time instead of one person at each dish. 

Yes, it's cleaner to be served.... but it's soooo slow that your cold food is warm and your hot food is cool by the time you get back to the table.

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thanks for posting that article!

I’m on Oasis now.  WJ was self serve the first 3 days and switched to the crew serving food yesterday (4th day.)  

I prefer the crew serving the food and hope it stays like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I really would prefer to serve myself, I've seen too many other passengers do too many patently unhygenic things while serving themselves.  I did not like the idea of a served buffet on ships until I actually experienced it (first on Celebrity and then later on Silversea and RCI), and I was pretty much sold right from the get-go.  Covid never was a concern, but there's a lot more out there than covid.

I'm fine with passengers taking their own plates, flatware, and drinks (although I must say that I actually saw someone take a sip of lemonade and then put it back 😬--you can't some folks anywhere).

39 minutes ago, cargopilot said:

I love a salad for lunch. I reject the bowls they have and prefer to have a plate to present.

I'm not a fan of those bowls, either.  They are very cumbersome and do not sit well on the plate.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

.....I'm fine with passengers taking their own plates, flatware, and drinks (although I must say that I actually saw someone take a sip of lemonade and then put it back 😬--you can't some folks anywhere)......

Ummm... I hope you alerted someone, or at least took that glass out and put it to the side somewhere.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Ummm... I hope you alerted someone, or at least took that glass out and put it to the side somewhere.

Yes, I did right then and there.  I pointed it out to one of the crew, and they took it away.  They were at least as shocked as I was!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2022 at 2:53 PM, BillHoo said:

Just lean over to the table next to you and ask the other patrons "Anyone want some of this Waldorf Salad?  I didn't touch it.  I just want a spoonful or two..."

Break the ice and make friends!  😄

I don't think so.

• Haha 2

We were pre-pandemic germaphobes.  🙄

Ranked the cruiser behavior at buffets on all lines as the most disgusting public displays of inconsideration and/or ignorance.  Not everyone, but so noticeable that it was commonly practiced by many.  Avoided like the plague.  If occasioned, would utilize an enormous amount of cloth napkins, soaked in sanitary liquid to clean table, chair, salt and pepper, etc.  Another napkin for the food gauntlet to pick up the tongs and spoons.  Same for tapping the coffee, water, etc.  😲

Like some others, always walked the stairs.  No rails.  Elevator if really necessary.  Won't drink from glass that server has fingers in rim of glass when served or on plates not properly held when plated.  Especially if the venue doesn't segregate the table clearing (busing) from the servers' duties or have the 'kitchen runner for the table delivery when the meals are ready.

Have had dozens and dozens of great, mostly B2B cruises, and do not feel encumbered or less enjoyment than anyone else.  😉

Also, have never, repeat never, been sick on a cruise, even those with massive Noro, crud spread and hack, etc.

We're post-pandemic viruphobes.  If we come back, POLL VOTE was to have servers provide amounts of our selections.

Ducking.  🦆

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 2

Personally, I'd to prefer staff serving me, or at least such a middle the road staff serving me or self serve of previously plated food model. That said, the questions are then: Is the market prepared to pay higher fares to the perk? According to what I'm reading on all the social media, including CC, I'd say yes, if it wasn't for the war in Europe and the rampant surges in oil prices and beyond... Then; would it to be easy for the cruise lines to find new crew members to do that job for a full ship in a timely manner? I'd say not at the moment... So; a return to normal, at least for peak season sailings will, one day or the other, to be a fact, no matter what... Have a nice day!...

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

At the windjammer I don't care one way or the other, but at el loco fresh I wish they'd go back to letting you serve yourself your own toppings

I’m on Oasis right now.  I’ve eaten lunch at El Loco Fresh the last 3 days.  The toppings are serve yourself … which is why I won’t take any toppings 😰 (I am allergic to gluten so if someone touched a serving spoon to their quesadilla, burrito, or other gluten food, the serving spoon would be contaminated with gluten.

Now that I think about it, I’ll ask tomorrow if I can have some guacamole from the back. 🥑 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 11:38 AM, Billy Baltic said:

Own up. Who goes on a cruise to eat your meals in your room? 🤔😳

i love the perk in suites across multiple lines, that lets me order from the specialty restaurant or even just the MDR. some times u just dont wanna go out after a long day on shore etc. 

also the luxury of a large balcony and table out there is pretty cool too

Edited by luckyinpa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

At the windjammer I don't care one way or the other, but at el loco fresh I wish they'd go back to letting you serve yourself your own toppings

I did try this place 1X for a quick snack.  The pork filled soft taco was very good.  I opted for a scoop of pico de gallo because I didn't want to cause a back up with people waiting.  I have to admit I was looking forward to the salsa bar.

Personally, I prefer the MDR over the Windjammer (or whatever the buffet is called on any ship).  Between getting ready in the morning and walking the dog, breakfast is usually eaten standing at the counter in my kitchen.  Lunch is usually consumed while working.  Dinner most nights is eaten sitting at our dinner table, but is usually not very long since everyone has something to do.  So I enjoy the slow paced meal sitting around and talking in the MDR.  I am "one of those people" that also prefer to be at a Top-10 with other people so I can enjoy the conversation and company of strangers. Even when we were put in separate tables, we have many times still struck up conversations with those in accompanying tables.

As to the Windjammer, there are those days when either a buffet is the only option (port vs. sea day) or is the quickest option when needing to get off the ship for an excursion (or you get back from excursions too late for other venues). Although I abhor the sanitary practices of many of my fellow cruisers when it comes to food and the buffet, the use of staff on the buffet will (IMHO) increase the price of cruises and will impact other services (since these individuals will not be assisting in other areas of the ship) or these workers are working extra shifts making them exhausted and less proficient in conducting their other responsibilities.

Self-service with customers wearing gloves may (once again, my opinion) be the balance point.  Staff can be used in other areas of the ship where they are needed and pax do not have to touch the food with their hands (yuk!). This applies to everything except for the bacon. Bacon needs to be served by staff in pre-portioned amounts. [yes, this is satire]

Although sitting on one's balcony is very nice to have a meal, eating on my private balcony ever meal is not for me. 

I have also been known to wake up very early, go running and pick up a few items at the cafe (they usually have pastries or something out with coffee), then go back to my room, shower and then go to the WJ for a second fill of breakfast, then come back to get my DW (or entire family if awake), then have a third try at morning refreshments in the MDR.

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

Is the solution to use ROBOTS!

Seriously, the technology is getting better.  I've seen youtube videos of robots flipping burgers, making and packaging plate lunches, cooking complex dishes, etc.

Or how about the old fashioned AUTOMAT Dining?

• Haha 1

Well lots of variety in the opinions here. We had self-serve for years and years, with staff at carving and pasta stations, etc. It's not perfect but it probably won't kill us any more now than it did before. Grab-and-go portions are fine with me too. As long as things move quickly I'm good with it.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It's always great to be in line behind someone trying to pick the veggies out of one sauce then picking the meat out of the beef stew🤪🤔

Point taken BUT imagine I have to discuss each small sample with the server to describe what I want.  Throw in lots of background noise, my lousy hearing and his accent and I think the folks behind me in line would be wishing it could just grab it myself.  BTW, I'm not that person who holds up lines.  I'm a native New Yorker and, believe me, there is nothing ruder than holding up a line in NYC!!!  Along with stopping dead in the middle of sidewalks and not keeping to the right on escalators that is tourist behavior here.

Just off Liberty. The staff served most items. If you just held your plate up, they would give you a fairly large serving. If you asked, they would give you as much or as little as you asked for. Things that were pre-dispensed in individual cups/bowls such as Jell-O, pudding, fruit cups etc., they di not serve to you, they told you to just grab one.

• Like 1

I witnessed a lot of handing plates to servers who do not perform hand hygiene between plates, thus transferring germs from passenger to passenger. It would be smart to use hand sanitizer once at the table before eating. It's still much better than people who are licking their fingers between serving themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2