NCL DECIDED TO STRAND PEOPLE IN FLORIDA

badgerjeanne

35 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter has been sitting in Newark airport since 11, for her 1 pm flight to Atlanta. Weather is fine, now it’s saying 5 pm, we will see, it’s the last flight of the day (since the actual last flight has been canceled). Weather is fine. Flying is not that reliable.

As someone who worked in the executive offices for a major US air carrier, please understand that weather is not the only factor that can affect flight operations.  The northeast US from Boston to Washington is the busiest air corridor in the world and there are a variety of factors that affect operations.  When delays occur in this part of the country, a huge percentage of flights all over North America will be affected downline.  Each airline has a Contract of Carriage and they all state up front: no airline can guarantee its schedules.  You just need to travel with patience and insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Basic rules for anyone on cruising:

1. Buy Cruise Insurance: At least here, you get your money and expenses back.  
  2. Fly In the Day Before:  All that has to happen is just once, you almost miss your cruise.  The stress is so huge, you will NEVER fly in the day of a cruise again.  This is common knowledge for any frequent cruiser. 
  3. Don't Buy Your Airfare From the Cruise Brand:  To control your vacation, you need to have direct contact with the airline brand.  I also just flew in through Atlanta to Florida (Miami). The weather was awful.  I called Delta, got protected on extra flights, my luggage did not make it when I did.  The difference was I was in Miami the day before the cruise left. Many folks think buying your flight through the cruise brand makes the ship wait for you. So not true.  They fly you to the first port and your vacation is off to a horrible start.

Great advice @Sthrngary, however I will take a slight exception to number 1.  Many years ago I made an economics based decision to only insure against catastrophic losses.  I maintained very high deductibles on home and auto insurance, and also utilized high deductible health plans during several extended periods of time (different discussions).  I never buy extended warranties.  I approach travel insurance the same way.  I have enjoyed a number of cruises, never bough cancellation insurance and never had a non-refundable cancellation.  If I have to cancel my next cruise, I probably have enough money saved from not buying insurance to cover the cost (i.e. "self-insure").  Everybody is different. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

NCL didn’t strand people in Florida! Passengers didn’t make it in time to the Port?

I saw this thread header and thought it was about ship having engine troubles.

In the end it was another story of folks flying in the same day.

you MUST come the day before and add price to the package.  folks i think try to do these trips the bare minimum and cheapest way possible.   oh well still sorry to hear.

But I try not to come during spring break.   I hope the breakers are back in school in two weeks.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Great advice @Sthrngary, however I will take a slight exception to number 1.  Many years ago I made an economics based decision to only insure against catastrophic losses.  I maintained very high deductibles on home and auto insurance, and also utilized high deductible health plans during several extended periods of time (different discussions).  I never buy extended warranties.  I approach travel insurance the same way.  I have enjoyed a number of cruises, never bough cancellation insurance and never had a non-refundable cancellation.  If I have to cancel my next cruise, I probably have enough money saved from not buying insurance to cover the cost (i.e. "self-insure").  Everybody is different. 

I mostly self-insure as well.  But I did opt for an annual policy this year because the price was right for what it covers and I have enough planned in the next year to make it very reasonable.  Doesn't cover much in the way of refunds for cancellation but covers interruption, lost luggage and medical. Basically things I might have to pay for if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

If this were Saturday, 3/19, I don’t think it was a weather issue.  My daughter was flying out of Florida that day (along with her husband and 3 pre-school aged children).  They were on the plane but told they could not take off because “air space was saturated.”  They sat on the tarmac for several hours before they finally took off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This is a very good point.

We take the opposite approach and always get travel insurance.  However, we still fly in a day or two before the cruise, and more if it's a city we haven't enjoyed before!

But the bigger point of what you have written is that if one doesn't buy travel insurance, then one needs to recognize that there IS a risk of <various delays/costs/etc.> and just decide that one is willing to take the risk.

To some extent, this depends upon personal circumstances.  Someone younger, healthy, etc. has less likelihood of being too sick to travel.  (Note:  This is different from insurance for medical CARE WHILE TRAVELING, which one should always have; it might be your regular health insurance for emergencies.)

And if someone flies in a day early, there's less likelihood of missing the ship.

And... if one has travel insurance, then IF the worst happens (actually, missing a vacation cruise ship is hardly "the worst thing that can happen", but I digress), then at least one has the money to pay for a "do-over".  
However, that doesn't help with the immediate frustration and disappointment, but it might be a lot better than being out a lot of money, TOO.

Each of us gets to decide what the trade-offs are for us.

(The real problem is for those who "never thought about it" and learn the hard way.  Hopefully many people reading CruiseCritic learn an easier way.  That includes us - and THANK YOU AGAIN, those who mentioned travel insurance here on CC circa August/September, 2013!!!)

GC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

i agree with you. I have purchased comprehensive trip insurance once. I purchased it because I had a situation up in the air at work when we booked and there was a small chance we would cancel. By pure coincidence, that was our only main trip incident. The flights were delayed and the insurance paid a good amount of the cost to switch airlines.

bur over the years I’ve easily saved thousands by not purchasing cancellation insurance. We do get medical/evacuation when going to more exotic locations. If we have a major trip discruption or cancellation I would call it even. 

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

This is a very good point.

We take the opposite approach and always get travel insurance.  However, we still fly in a day or two before the cruise, and more if it's a city we haven't enjoyed before!

But the bigger point of what you have written is that if one doesn't buy travel insurance, then one needs to recognize that there IS a risk of <various delays/costs/etc.> and just decide that one is willing to take the risk.

To some extent, this depends upon personal circumstances.  Someone younger, healthy, etc. has less likelihood of being too sick to travel.  (Note:  This is different from insurance for medical CARE WHILE TRAVELING, which one should always have; it might be your regular health insurance for emergencies.)

And if someone flies in a day early, there's less likelihood of missing the ship.

And... if one has travel insurance, then IF the worst happens (actually, missing a vacation cruise ship is hardly "the worst thing that can happen", but I digress), then at least one has the money to pay for a "do-over".  
However, that doesn't help with the immediate frustration and disappointment, but it might be a lot better than being out a lot of money, TOO.

Each of us gets to decide what the trade-offs are for us.

(The real problem is for those who "never thought about it" and learn the hard way.  Hopefully many people reading CruiseCritic learn an easier way.  That includes us - and THANK YOU AGAIN, those who mentioned travel insurance here on CC circa August/September, 2013!!!)

GC

You called it out perfectly, I have Medicare.  Does not cover me outside of the US.  I also choose to get the trip cancellation and interruption policy.  Finally I always travel the day before the ship leaves.  

Now for the rest of the story.  My last trip my adult son was snorkeling on Roatan.  We did the Jolly Rodger.  He got short of breath and had to go back to the hospital on the ship.  $500.00 later he was fine.  The cruise before that, my wife got break through Covid 8 days before sailing on Crystal Cruises.  We had to cancel and it cost thousands of dollars.  We  got our money back in both cases within 15 business days.  I also put a claim in for a few hundred dollars of incidentals not covered by the insurance to American Express.  

Two trips in a row, the better plan of travel insurance paid off.  Now, obviously I am completely sold.  Everyone has to make a decision on their personal situation as you so correctly stated.  Just do the research and make the right decision for you.

Cruise well everyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is not correct.  If they had notified NCL that they wished to join in Honduras, NCL would have arranged this with the port agent there.  It is done all the time.

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I was under the impression that this isn’t done now due to Covid testing. 

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

That all depends on the country where they would be joining.

Chief, since the resumption of cruising after the pandemic shutdown NCL has instituted a rule prohibiting passengers from joining a cruise if they miss the originally scheduled embarkation. The stated reason is they would be unable to carry out their COVID boarding protocols at other than the scheduled embarkation port.

• Like 1

A couple of things here… as others have advised plan to arrive the day before embarkation where possible even if you book your flight through the cruiseline.

if you book your flight through the cruiseline they might hold the ship for you should the flight be delayed by and hour or two. This happened for some guests on my cruise a few weeks back, but other guests on cruiseline booked flights weren’t going to arrive in any sort of reasonable timeframe and they wound up getting flown to Curaçao (the second port of call) to meet the ship there on the Wednesday (cruise embarked on a Sunday,  Monday was a sea day). 
I know others on that same cruise changed their flights to get to the port earlier than originally planned due to forecasted weather disruptions at their home or connecting airports. One couple rented a U-Haul to drive to their connecting airport due to disruptions.

i regularly fly transatlantic so I’ve seen pretty much every possible cause of flight delays - airport runs out of de-icer / pilot drops a dumbbell on his head / complete IT meltdown of the airline / technical failure on the plane / medical emergency on-board / etc. there’s an infinite list of possible reasons for flight delays and cancellations. This is why travel insurance is needed, I will note that flights starting/ending in EU countries do have additional customer service requirements, aka the airline has to get you an alternative flight or refund if they cancel, and if it’s a delay of more than an hour they have to give you a food voucher, longer delays require more compensation. 
On pretty much every cruise there is at least one medical emergency, I’ve seen air lifts on 2 of 5 cruises, medical emergency delay port departures twice, medical emergency cause early port arrival, and 2 deaths + 2 arrests(un-related) cause hours delay at disembarkation at the end of a cruise. That’s over just 5 week long cruises, on 2 of which the ship was at less than 50% capacity. They have to build in allowances for those sorts of issues in the itineraries which is why they will only hold sailing time for a certain amount of time, and that’s in addition to local geography or port capacity limiting the hours it’s safe for the ships to enter/exit ports. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Chief, since the resumption of cruising after the pandemic shutdown NCL has instituted a rule prohibiting passengers from joining a cruise if they miss the originally scheduled embarkation. The stated reason is they would be unable to carry out their COVID boarding protocols at other than the scheduled embarkation port.

Wrong !!! They flew guests to Curaçao to board the cruise I was on just a few weeks ago when their NCL-booked flight was cancelled. I’m not entirely sure why they couldn’t fly them to Aruba but I suspect it may have been due to Aruba testing requirements. I saw them getting tested and checked in pier-side when I was heading to an excursion, in addition to seeing the posts from one of the guests online documenting the flight issues. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Wrong !!! They flew guests to Curaçao to board the cruise I was on just a few weeks ago when their NCL-booked flight was cancelled. I’m not entirely sure why they couldn’t fly them to Aruba but I suspect it may have been due to Aruba testing requirements. I saw them getting tested and checked in pier-side when I was heading to an excursion, in addition to seeing the posts from one of the guests online documenting the flight issues. 

The rule is in black and white on NCL's website in the Sail Safe protocols FAQ section. I suspect what you saw was an exception granted to deal with a problem on that particular cruise. 

• Like 1

If you have read this far and haven't got a hint - a clue -

the order in which to plan your cruise vacation

Don't expect NCL or other cruise line to babysit you all the way !

What to do - especially pay attention to the weather where you are at

and at the port of departure - weather may be fine operational at your location

but at the port city a whole nother thing ! OR V-V !

When to do it - arrive last minute Cruising for Dummies NCL ver 101 a B-I-G NO NO !

As suggested arrive a day ahead of time or at least be within ground transport to pier port 

on the day of departure

Purchase insurance (AT LEAST SOME - minimum)

and did you read the fine print - the coverage ?

The tests you may need to have

Port arrival information - check-in - boarding

This just for some starters

This does not cover all of the things to do and remember to do - - - - -

Helpful hints - read more here at CC

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums: Ask a Question - Cruise Critic

A lot of wonderful folks here who have been there - done that -

had rewarding and NOT so rewarding cruises -

Take their experiences to heart and soul 

And as our esteemed prolific poster Sthrngary notes - - - Cruise well 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, travelmatron said:

I always feel sort of sad when those of us who've been around for a while seem to pile on a person's very first post.  Badgerjeanne, it must feel as if we're all blaming the victim.  Really, though, we're generally more than happy to point out the error in NCL's ways when they are at fault.  As I'm sure you've noticed by now, as a group we're not seeing NCL as being in the wrong here.  It's unfortunate that your extended family wasn't able to get to the pier in time.  That's something most of us worry about.  As you've seen, there are several ways to decrease that worry:  Watch the pre-cruise weather and be prepared to book a different flight; go a day early; take our trip insurance; or book air through the cruise line.  Since flight disruptions other than weather, like airline strikes, or volcanos/earthquakes (you can tell I live on the West Coast), can happen at any time, a lot of us always go to port a day early to start our cruise without additional stress.  I hope your next trip is easier. This must have been especially hard with grandchildren.

What victim?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don&#x27;t-use-real-name said:

If you have read this far and haven't got a hint - a clue -

the order in which to plan your cruise vacation

Don't expect NCL or other cruise line to babysit you all the way !

but at the port city a whole nother thing ! OR V-V !

When to do it - arrive last minute Cruising for Dummies NCL ver 101 a B-I-G NO NO !

As suggested arrive a day ahead of time or at least be within ground transport to pier port 

on the day of departure

Purchase insurance (AT LEAST SOME - minimum)

and did you read the fine print - the coverage ?

The tests you may need to have

Port arrival information - check-in - boarding

This just for some starters

This does not cover all of the things to do and remember to do - - - - -

Helpful hints - read more here at CC

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums: Ask a Question - Cruise Critic

A lot of wonderful folks here who have been there - done that -

had rewarding and NOT so rewarding cruises -

Take their experiences to heart and soul 

And as our esteemed prolific poster Sthrngary notes - - - Cruise well 

OR V-V?

3 hours ago, don&#x27;t-use-real-name said:

but at the port city a whole nother thing

Yes. You need to consider weather all along the way. We often connect through Chicago which is not known for its weather. 

In 2019, we were sailing out of Port Canaveral. Like the OP, we were faced with cancellation due to weather in Orlando. We opted to have the airline fly us into Tampa, then use a rent-a-car free day to drive the rest of the way over to Port Canaveral. Not ideal, but we got to our ship on time. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I saw this thread header and thought it was about ship having engine troubles.

In the end it was another story of folks flying in the same day.

you MUST come the day before and add price to the package.  folks i think try to do these trips the bare minimum and cheapest way possible.   oh well still sorry to hear.

But I try not to come during spring break.   I hope the breakers are back in school in two weeks.

Yes and they don't get cruise insurance to whine later. Some people are ridiculous and you could never please them. If they got on the cruise they would be the Karens and Karls complaining about every little thing: "you gave me a frozen drink that melts in the sun", "this beer is only 11.8oz not 12oz", etc. 

The OP was frustrated and wanted to vent. They did.  In doing so they found out the error of judgement was on their port.  This thread was one of many on this NCL Board all claiming NCL did something wrong.  Each posting were subjects presented so many times before. 

It is the obligation of the guest to know the risks and read your documents.  If you come in the day of a cruise, just know the consequences.  Don't write a book of a post like you are a truly experienced traveler saying things like other brands hold the boat for late passengers.  That is NOT going to be any cruise brands policy.  

What happens on posts like this is, we correct the OP.  The OP does not like it.  Then we begin to be less sensitive to the OP.  My take is, learn a lesson from this and thank you for allowing us to learn from you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Don't Buy Your Airfare From the Cruise Brand:  To control your vacation, you need to have direct contact with the airline brand.  I also just flew in through Atlanta to Florida (Miami). The weather was awful.  I called Delta, got protected on extra flights, my luggage did not make it when I did.  The difference was I was in Miami the day before the cruise left. Many folks think buying your flight through the cruise brand makes the ship wait for you. So not true.  They fly you to the first port and your vacation is off to a horrible start.

I am a fan of Sthrngary but disagree with this advice.  In June 2018 we booked a Caribbean cruise with 3 grandchildren.  That was the date of the infamous American Airlines computer problem that stranded/canceled/delayed hundreds of flights. Our NC airport was a crush of people trying to find options.  Our luggage was already on the plane.  The AA counter was mobbed. Couldn't get thru by phone either.  A call to the cruise line and they got our luggage off the plane and booked us on a flight to Nassau.  They put us up at a beachfront hotel where we watched the ship sail in the next morning (Covid may have changed this option).  All paid for except our food.  

Note: we always fly in 1 day early.  Two days if cruising from other than USA and always buy insurance!  

That said, I agree with the general opinion expressed here.  It's a sad situation but not the fault of NCL.

• Thanks 1

On our last cruise we bought medical trip insurance with a deductible.  We self insured for the first $5000 of expense and received $100,000 of coverage.  Our premium was about $25 for both of us combined.  A considerable savings.  If we were unable to cruise, losing $4000 for the cruise is acceptable, but if we were medically evacuated, $100,000 expense is not.  We drove to the port.

16 hours ago, scamper said:

As someone who worked in the executive offices for a major US air carrier, please understand that weather is not the only factor that can affect flight operations.  The northeast US from Boston to Washington is the busiest air corridor in the world and there are a variety of factors that affect operations.  When delays occur in this part of the country, a huge percentage of flights all over North America will be affected downline.  Each airline has a Contract of Carriage and they all state up front: no airline can guarantee its schedules.  You just need to travel with patience and insurance.

Oh I know, I’m a pessimistic traveler, if things go off without a hitch I’m pleasantly surprised. Once the delay was over 3 hours, I knew she would at least get a refund from spirit if they decided to bail (her sister and friend were picking them up on their way from Florida to South Carolina so if it was a longer delay they could just visit another weekend).

• Like 1

My cheap BIL and wife flew in same

day of a European cruise because they didn't want to pay for hotel. They barely made the ship but their bags didn't make the connecting flight.  Went five days before the bags catched up with the ship. 

They have definitely learned their lesson. Still cheap though.  

• Haha 3