Arcadia Jottings

wowzz

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I have no problem with some of the criticism aimed at P&O  I just wish for balance, to read some post's from some on here you wander if it's worth cruising with P&O because they never mention the positive's, but as a regular poster said this is cruise critic so obviously you should only mention the negatives.

No I did not say that, as you well know, but you say that you want balance. My point is that those whose sole objective of posting is to pounce on those who make valid criticisms with rather childish like sarcastic comments lack that ‘balance’ every bit as much as those you criticise.  

• Like 9

Yesterday was a good day. On arrival at Tenerife we went on a panoramic tour of the island. Not for the faint hearted, we went up in the mountains, navigating narrow roads with cliff edge drops in true ‘the Italian job’ style. The weather changed from brilliant sunshine to heavy rain then back to brilliant sunshine! The tour ended with goats cheese, bread and red wine. A tour well worth doing.

Back onboard lots of people took advantage of the sunshine and were sunbathing. Roy Locke made his first appearance in the theatre and was fantastic. This was well attended.
We are just about to depart on a leisurely tour of Gran Canaria and I write this while sitting on the coach.

Work continues on board this morning with toilets out of bounds for repair on deck 3, lifts out of use midships and plumbers already going about their business.

we’re off now, so have a great day everyone wherever you are. 👍

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Bazrat said:

True about the name but some just constantly criticize never give a balanced view.

Old saying from my grandad "Everyone's a critic!".  He was probably right  - we can all find fault with things if the circumstances are right.  Hand on heart have you never found anything on your P&O cruise which wasn't quite right, irritated you or didn't go as you thought it should?  Of course when you are on holiday you don't want to look for fault  after all you are there to enjoy yourself. However you seem to cruise a lot from your posts so I find it hard to believe you've never had a problem no matter how minor? Maybe the truth is you can't be bothered to complain as you're one of those lucky people who never let things get in the way of your enjoyment, in which case good on you!  

We don't all have that outlook on life unfortunately and I must say if I'm paying good money for something I expect it to be as described with goodwill on both sides.  P&O aren't currently helping themselves with the haphazard approach to customer service in the run up to the cruises, the shrug of the shoulders if something is broken/wrong and the ignore it, it will go away approach. Maybe if they put their hands up occasionally and said we were wrong, sorry people might not feel the need to be a critic.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

But are you not one of those failing to give a balanced view?

You obviously failed to read my posts I give credit when it's due and criticism also when it's due, something I notice you seam to forget to do.

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Old saying from my grandad "Everyone's a critic!".  He was probably right  - we can all find fault with things if the circumstances are right.  Hand on heart have you never found anything on your P&O cruise which wasn't quite right, irritated you or didn't go as you thought it should?  Of course when you are on holiday you don't want to look for fault  after all you are there to enjoy yourself. However you seem to cruise a lot from your posts so I find it hard to believe you've never had a problem no matter how minor? Maybe the truth is you can't be bothered to complain as you're one of those lucky people who never let things get in the way of your enjoyment, in which case good on you!  

We don't all have that outlook on life unfortunately and I must say if I'm paying good money for something I expect it to be as described with goodwill on both sides.  P&O aren't currently helping themselves with the haphazard approach to customer service in the run up to the cruises, the shrug of the shoulders if something is broken/wrong and the ignore it, it will go away approach. Maybe if they put their hands up occasionally and said we were wrong, sorry people might not feel the need to be a critic.

I agree with much that you say and your recent determination to expose the insurance companies’ lack of speed in trying to keep up with covid problems causing people to be taken ashore when testing positive did you great credit. I seem to remember you saying that P&O worked with you (eventually) to the benefit of those taken off the ship.

I have never had a serious issue on any of the 20+ cruises I have taken with P&O but on occasions when I have given them feedback, positive and negative, chosen to book cruises with them and spoken to them about bookings in advance of sailing, they have been very helpful and professional. Maybe it is when things go badly wrong that their customer service fails the satisfaction test and I haven’t experienced that. 

However, there do appear to be some people on ships who look for faults in order to criticise. No cruise is going to be perfect for all passengers. The fact that the ships sail with ‘handymen,’ plumbers, electricians etc onboard should be seen as a positive because it shows realism in accepting that sometimes work needs doing unblocking toilets (blockages often caused by passengers trying to flush away items they are asked not to), minor repairs and even regular maintenance such as varnishing balcony rails while the ship is at sea. We have all seen hulls being repainted in port whilst we are off the ship enjoying ourselves. 

I have enjoyed all the cruises I have taken, even the three which were seriously impacted by bad weather. There have been reasons for me to grumble about some things but to hear a minority of people onboard, and a small number on here, speaking as if the world is about to end because of something most of us brush off as trivial, makes me wonder why they bother to cruise again (which they do). 

If you go on a cruise looking for faults, you will find some (and possibly lose some of the enjoyment of the cruise experience). Maybe some things could and should be handled better, but in such a huge organisation, not everybody employee does what they should do all of the time. 

I am not thinking of anybody in particular whilst writing this post (from this thread or any other), but I am sure the majority can identify with some from who we have met onboard or have contributed to this forum.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

No I did not say that, as you well know, but you say that you want balance. My point is that those whose sole objective of posting is to pounce on those who make valid criticisms with rather childish like sarcastic comments lack that ‘balance’ every bit as much as those you criticise.  

I just replied to your original post which I stand by

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I agree with much that you say and your recent determination to expose the insurance companies’ lack of speed in trying to keep up with covid problems causing people to be taken ashore when testing positive did you great credit. I seem to remember you saying that P&O worked with you (eventually) to the benefit of those taken off the ship.

I have never had a serious issue on any of the 20+ cruises I have taken with P&O but on occasions when I have given them feedback, positive and negative, chosen to book cruises with them and spoken to them about bookings in advance of sailing, they have been very helpful and professional. Maybe it is when things go badly wrong that their customer service fails the satisfaction test and I haven’t experienced that. 

However, there do appear to be some people on this board who look for faults in order to criticise. No cruise is going to be perfect for all passengers. The fact that the ships sail with ‘handymen,’ plumbers, electricians etc onboard should be seen as a positive because it shows realism in accepting that sometimes work needs doing unblocking toilets (blockages often caused by passengers trying to flush away items they are asked not to), minor repairs and even regular maintenance such as varnishing balcony rails while the ship is at sea. We have all seen hulls being repainted in port whilst we are off the ship enjoying ourselves. 

I have enjoyed all the cruises I have taken, even those seriously impacted by bad weather. There have been reasons for me to grumble about some things but to hear a minority of people onboard, and a small number on here, speaking as if the world is about to end because of something most of us brush off as trivial, makes me wonder why they bother to cruise again (which they do). 

If you go on a cruise looking for faults, you will find some (and possibly lose some of the enjoyment of the cruise experience). Maybe some things could and should be handled better, but in such a huge organisation, not everybody employee does what they should do all of the time. 

I am not thinking of anybody in particular whilst writing this post (from this thread or any other), but I am sure the majority can identify with some from who we have met onboard or have contributed to this forum.

A well balanced thought out post.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I have said on previous posts about the customer service being extremely slow, but once I have there attention my problems have been delt with toy satisfaction.

My ability to make the best out of a bad world stems from a very early age, one instance of going into a pub with my parents in the seventies and being refused service because of the colour of my father's skin, so not having my bed turned down lack of cheese wheels or some unknown wine not being available doesn't really bother me.

• Like 3

Hello to all those on board. Can I ask please how easy it is to book your MDR dining. We always eat early and therefore obviously want to eat early. Do you have to book please?

What about the theatre, do you have to book  beforehand or just turn up, we prefer to go to the early show .

Thanks in advance 

Edited by amajaa

37 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

You obviously failed to read my posts I give credit when it's due and criticism also when it's due, something I notice you seam to forget to do.

You seem to be digging a bit of a pit for yourself here.  There are very, very, few posters who do nothing but criticise P&O without also mentioning the many plus points.  Probably about the same number as those who do nothing but praise P&O without mentioning the minus points.

By the way, not that it matters because you're obviously welcome to reach your own conclusions, if you'd actually read my posts rather than just picking out bits of them, you'd have noticed frequent mentions of the following positives for balance:

The pricing, particularly when cruises first go on sale

The amazingly helpful and hardworking onboard staff

The food across all the restaurants

The Epicurean in particular

The delights of an aft location

But I have mentioned such things as a smell of sewage on part of Azura that wasn't dealt with for more than a year, a customer service manager who didn't want to talk to customers and a suite that was in a poor condition.

That seems pretty balanced to me, but you must reach your own conclusions.  

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

You seem to be digging a bit of a pit for yourself here.  There are very, very, few posters who do nothing but criticise P&O without also mentioning the many plus points.  Probably about the same number as those who do nothing but praise P&O without mentioning the minus points.

By the way, not that it matters because you're obviously welcome to reach your own conclusions, if you'd actually read my posts rather than just picking out bits of them, you'd have noticed frequent mentions of the following positives for balance:

But I have mentioned such things as a smell of sewage on part of Azura that wasn't dealt with for more than a year, a customer service manager who didn't want to talk to customers and a suite that was in a poor condition.

Exactly this, Harry. When you mentioned the pong on Azura, I commented that I also noticed this, and that Acura’s fixtures and fittings were becoming rather tired and worn out. But I also mentioned that it was an excellent cruise, and one that I will always remember fondly as my last pre pandemic cruise.

To my mind, that’s balanced. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Yesterday was a good day. On arrival at Tenerife we went on a panoramic tour of the island. Not for the faint hearted, we went up in the mountains, navigating narrow roads with cliff edge drops in true ‘the Italian job’ style. The weather changed from brilliant sunshine to heavy rain then back to brilliant sunshine! The tour ended with goats cheese, bread and red wine. A tour well worth doing.

Back onboard lots of people took advantage of the sunshine and were sunbathing. Roy Locke made his first appearance in the theatre and was fantastic. This was well attended.
We are just about to depart on a leisurely tour of Gran Canaria and I write this while sitting on the coach.

Work continues on board this morning with toilets out of bounds for repair on deck 3, lifts out of use midships and plumbers already going about their business.

we’re off now, so have a great day everyone wherever you are. 👍

I saw a show from Roy Locke at Warner's Bembridge Coast back in February. Agree that he's a great vocalist - and a nice guy too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Spot on Harry. Anyone who has followed my posts over the years will also know that whilst I am not adverse to highlighting or agreeing with others on P&O’s shortcomings, I have also praised them with regards to things such as (to name just a few);

On board service (there are a number of staff we know well who greet us as friends when we board).

Select Dining (especially Epicurean)

Food in general (with are in the minority that seem to enjoy the food in the MDR)!

Assistance that my wife has received as a disabled passenger.

Accessible facilities in general, but particularly on the new per ships

Maintenance teams response to any issues that we have had with our cabins

Some of the guest speakers 

In addition, I have also provided advice (for which many have thanked me) on things such as the excellent forward suites on Britannia, specific itineraries and ports - again, to name but a few. 

However, there are one or two who seem to wait to ‘pounce’ when I say anything negative (which those who are ‘balanced’ will also do) and, without adding anything constructive to the debate themselves, just make snide remarks or twist what people say out of all proportion. It’s very sad and I couldn’t be bothered, but whatever floats peoples boat, so to speak! It does, however, put me off posting at times which I guess is a shame but I have other things in my life and this is just a minor distraction!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

recent determination to expose the insurance companies’ lack of speed in trying to keep up with covid problems causing people to be taken ashore when testing positive did you great credit. I seem to remember you saying that P&O worked with you (eventually) to the benefit of those taken off the ship.

They did to a point.  It was in fact Holiday Extras and the FCSA who forced their arm.  Unfortunately I have never received the much promised full reply and my last outstanding correspondence in February states their lawyers will be in touch!  My original contact now ignores all correspondence even friendly ones.

I have never experienced difficulties of the type under discussion in this thread and would have hoped that P&O will address the issues with the individuals involved. 

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I have said on previous posts about the customer service being extremely slow, but once I have there attention my problems have been delt with toy satisfaction.

My ability to make the best out of a bad world stems from a very early age, one instance of going into a pub with my parents in the seventies and being refused service because of the colour of my father's skin, so not having my bed turned down lack of cheese wheels or some unknown wine not being available doesn't really bother me.

As I said previously I admire your fortitude not to have your holiday spoilt.  I have no idea what a cheese wheel is (and probably wouldn't want one!).  Regarding unknown wines, well I usually manage to find one I like, what I didn't enjoy was being sold a 12 bottle wine package before sailing only to have the vouchers refused in restaurants and bars because the staff were too busy to collect the bottles actually listed by P&O.  Not the staff's fault by any means but annoying and frustrating by any stretch of the imagination. I've already mentioned the frozen fish that turned up.

None of it the end of the world and not something I'd bother to bring to this forum unless I'm reading of others being decried for mentioning similar events. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

Hello to all those on board. Can I ask please how easy it is to book your MDR dining. We always eat early and therefore obviously want to eat early. Do you have to book please?

What about the theatre, do you have to book  beforehand or just turn up, we prefer to go to the early show .

Thanks in advance 

You cannot book a specific time,  you join a virtual queue when you are ready to eat. But currently, with do few passengers on board, you can just walk straight in.

Same with the theatre. Book if you want, or just turn up.

• Like 3

I've sort of lost track regarding complaining. Not sure if I am being accused of being a whiner or not !

My take on the current cruise is that there are lots of individual niggles, that in isolation are not that serious, and obviously maintenance is required on an ongoing basis.

My issue is that after two years, many of these niggles should have been rectified prior to return to service. Why are so many lifts not working? Why are no hot tubs available, etc.

If my point of view makes me a whinger so be it. I just think that P&O are taking advantage of their customers by not adequately preparing Arcadia.

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've sort of lost track regarding complaining. Not sure if I am being accused of being a whiner or not !

My take on the current cruise is that there are lots of individual niggles, that in isolation are not that serious, and obviously maintenance is required on an ongoing basis.

My issue is that after two years, many of these niggles should have been rectified prior to return to service. Why are so many lifts not working? Why are no hot tubs available, etc.

If my point of view makes me a whinger so be it. I just think that P&O are taking advantage of their customers by not adequately preparing Arcadia.

Far from it Wowzz, fair comment and observations from what I've read .Enjoy your cruise :classic_smile:

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You are there and reporting what you are seeing and experiencing, I have been on ships where ongoing maintenance has been happening and every effort has been made to avoid passenger inconvenience, its not great but has to be done. There is no excuse for what is happening on Arcadia now after her lay up. Passengers could have been notified of the ongoing works and been offered an opportunity to move/cancel the cruise. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Spot on Harry. Anyone who has followed my posts over the years will also know that whilst I am not adverse to highlighting or agreeing with others on P&O’s shortcomings, I have also praised them with regards to things such as (to name just a few);

On board service (there are a number of staff we know well who greet us as friends when we board).

Select Dining (especially Epicurean)

Food in general (with are in the minority that seem to enjoy the food in the MDR)!

Assistance that my wife has received as a disabled passenger.

Accessible facilities in general, but particularly on the new per ships

Maintenance teams response to any issues that we have had with our cabins

Some of the guest speakers 

In addition, I have also provided advice (for which many have thanked me) on things such as the excellent forward suites on Britannia, specific itineraries and ports - again, to name but a few. 

However, there are one or two who seem to wait to ‘pounce’ when I say anything negative (which those who are ‘balanced’ will also do) and, without adding anything constructive to the debate themselves, just make snide remarks or twist what people say out of all proportion. It’s very sad and I couldn’t be bothered, but whatever floats peoples boat, so to speak! It does, however, put me off posting at times which I guess is a shame but I have other things in my life and this is just a minor distraction!

Thank you Selbourne.

Your posts are always constructive and respectful.

My only criticism of P&O was the way the refund of our Azura Caribbean/TA cruise in March 2020 was handled after covid stopped all cruising.

We were on one of the first sailings on Arcadia in April 2005 and thought for a new ship there was a lot of creaking in the cabin but it didn't stop us booking another cruise on Arcadia in October 2005.

Graham.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Selbourne.

Your posts are always constructive and respectful.

My only criticism of P&O was the way the refund of our Azura Caribbean/TA cruise in March 2020 was handled after covid stopped all cruising.

We were on one of the first sailings on Arcadia in April 2005 and thought for a new ship there was a lot of creaking in the cabin but it didn't stop us booking another cruise on Arcadia in October 2005.

Graham.

Much appreciated Graham. I’d almost forgotten the refund debacle 😂 Thankfully, we were quite lucky compared to most in that our refunds came through in a few months, but I recall it being a stressful time for everyone and P&O lost a lot of good will as a result.

Glad to see that you and Pauline are back on the high seas again and enjoying life, especially after your health scare a few years ago. I always find your comparisons with other cruise lines very interesting as we have (yet) to try any other cruise lines other than P&O (excluding 24 hours on two CMV ships and a tour of QM2). 

• Thanks 1