Arcadia Jottings

wowzz

2 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

So disappointed my Baltic cruise has been cancelled at such short notice. Not much in the way of alternatives now, plus prices pretty high and 15% FFC won't help much.  Looking at other lines!

2 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

So disappointed my Baltic cruise has been cancelled at such short notice. Not much in the way of alternatives now, plus prices pretty high and 15% FFC won't help much.  Looking at other lines!

Interesting re FCC as our cancellation email offers us only 5%. Not your 15% ! 

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Regardless of the reason it is going to reduce revenue and reduce choice for passengers, particularly those who will only sail on the two smaller ships.  Loyalty to these two vessels will be tested if the cancelled customers decide to go elsewhere as it looks like the ship has been sacrificed in favour of the larger vessels. I appreciate Aurora is completing her refit but the fact remains her passengers have been displaced as well.  Prices on possible replacement cruises are currently very high and the uplift in FCC may not allow those just cancelled to rebook in the near term.  The Princess cruises recently launched have very attractive pricing for instance.

Whatever the reasons it is extremely sad as it was only days ago the headlines were celebrating P&O having all their ships back sailing.

Thought it was strange we got a refund straight away for our May cruise on Arcadia after they told us our cabin was no longer available was expecting the usual FCC blurb. Don’t know how they can say they haven’t enough crew surely it would take a month max to gather up enough Indian and Filipino to crew all the ships. They’re running out of lies to tell I think 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Did they not offer a refund?

2 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Thought it was strange we got a refund straight away for our May cruise on Arcadia after they told us our cabin was no longer available was expecting the usual FCC blurb. Don’t know how they can say they haven’t enough crew surely it would take a month max to gather up enough Indian and Filipino to crew all the ships. They’re running out of lies to tell I think 

The thing is they have taken crew away from the rest of the fleet to staff Arcadia for what has now become one cruise, I am finding it difficult to find any logic in that. It isn't just P&O that have staffing issues either, Cunard are so probably others too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daiB said:

The information sent out to passengers seems to indicate the problem is fleet wide and that COVID is reducing crew numbers. Hence the drastic action.

So what about the water problem and the flushing of the whole system and guests currently on her being told not to use water between 10am-2pm all because of Legionnaires risk. Not purely down to Covid but as usual P&O not revealing the whole truth.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, daiB said:

No urgent works on Arcadia, just a fleet wide staff shortage due to COVID. Aurora did not get her refit completed in Germany because of COVID in the shipyard.

That is total nonsense when people on current cruise say ship is full of workmen and the already announced problem with Legionnaires risk and that is why they are flushing the whole water sysytem on the ship. "No urgent works on Arcadia" laughable.

• Like 3

Arcadia should never have been returned to service as she was obviously as a ship not ready and did not have adequate staff. This along with other mismanagement decisions and the damage being done to the brand P&O Cruises I think it is time to replace senior management starting with Paul Ludlow. They got rid of Carol Marlow for a lot less disasters that the current senior management.

• Like 8

Possible that MCA may have ordered P&O to cancel cruises and undertake a full audit and cleaning of water systems, pools, hot tubs & air con before allowing them to cruise again, This would have to be done with no passengers or crew on board. 

A good number of years ago a Legionella risk was identified in the building where I worked, we were relocated elsewhere whilst the systems were cleaned and sterilised,  I understood that was on the direction of the HSE. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mollag said:

The lack of staff is  fleet wide and due to COVID.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

But you cannot deny because those actually on the cruise have said on CC that the ship is full of workmen and they have a possible problem with Legionnaires that is why they are flushing the whole water system. Covid is not the only issue and obviously Arcadia has serious current problems involving a lot more which is why they are cancelling cruises because she is not fit to be at sea. My heart goes out to those currently on Arcadia and they should be given serious compensation not 2 bottles of water and £25obc.

• Like 2

It is very disappointing for everyone booked on the now cancelled Arcadia cruises.

Unfortunately I’ve got to a point where I take a lot of things that P&O say with a pinch of salt.

They have been very secretive about Covid on their ships, which is disappointing on matters of public health.

I was pleased that they were up front about the Legionnaires situation. However, to my mind it seems very coincidental that Arcadia’s cruises are cancelled at this time and they say it’s nothing to do with the water system 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It is very disappointing for everyone booked on the now cancelled Arcadia cruises.

Unfortunately I’ve got to a point where I take a lot of things that P&O say with a pinch of salt.

They have been very secretive about Covid on their ships, which is disappointing on matters of public health.

I was pleased that they were up front about the Legionnaires situation. However, to my mind it seems very coincidental that Arcadia’s cruises are cancelled at this time and they say it’s nothing to do with the water system on board.🤔

I could understand the alleged  sudden staff shortages if it was Covid related, as many other employers are struggling with this at the moment - but they also appear to be saying Covid is not a factor.

My trust in P&O has dropped a lot, as I suspect they are not telling the whole truth, and this makes me sad, as I used to think of them as trustworthy 

I agree entirely and the damage to the brand is terrible and like many dont think these cancellations are down just to Covid and short staffed when they cancel for best part of the next 3 months.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Shipsareus said:

Interesting re FCC as our cancellation email offers us only 5%. Not your 15% ! 

….and ours 10% . I assume it is to do with length of cruise , ours was 12 days. 

https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/wmp/cruise-ship-operators/index.html

Some of the things in here sound rather familiar. Did not someone onboard mention no hot tubs as well as plumbing problems?

Covid has not been mentioned in the announcement on board as I understood it? We are being told Covid is over, quarantine cabins can be reduced as well.  It cannot go both ways, either Covid is a real problem in which case admit it, on the other hand we are told it's nearly over. It simply can't be both I'm afraid.

I'm just desperately sorry that once again passengers' plans are up in the air

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

This I suspect was always going to be a problem when you lay your staff off en mass.

Some will be reluctant to return until things are more certain in job security .  Then you 

have the staff who take ill with covid thus further shortages . This is happening in our 

Airports ,Manchester airport are struggling with lack of trained staff, who in the past 

were also laid off . So if a nearby airport cannot get the staff then I imagine asking staff 

to come a good part around the world to work on a ship , fully aware they could get laid 

off again and sent home ,is not a job I would be jumping at either . Having said all that, 

my heart goes out to those with their cruisers in tatters .I have been there and it's not 

a nice feeling to experience .

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But you cannot deny because those actually on the cruise have said on CC that the ship is full of workmen and they have a possible problem with Legionnaires that is why they are flushing the whole water system. Covid is not the only issue and obviously Arcadia has serious current problems involving a lot more which is why they are cancelling cruises because she is not fit to be at sea. My heart goes out to those currently on Arcadia and they should be given serious compensation not 2 bottles of water and £25obc.

They’re getting 2 bottles of water and £25 OBC more than anyone on Aurora got

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

I’ve booked a 14 day cruise for July on Princess Cruises in a balcony cabin, drinks package, Wi-Fi  and gratuities all included £1399pp. That’s what I call a great deal!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, daiB said:

No urgent works on Arcadia, just a fleet wide staff shortage due to COVID. Aurora did not get her refit completed in Germany because of COVID in the shipyard.

Arcadia has had a case of legionnaires disease on board, and is having to have her water system flushed out. I imagine she will have to have a thorough inspection of her entire water and ventilation systems to ensure they have eliminated all traces before she has her sea worthy certificate renewed, which seems the more likely reason for her short term cancellations.

• Like 7

If it is purely staffing issues then just take the Iona Fjords shuttle out of action for a few weeks. The people that would lose out would more than likely find the same cruise a few weeks later or earlier so the chances of them minimising impact would be lower than the varied, specific cruises they are cancelling.

• Like 3

When we booked Arcadia for May 2023 we had letting Covid quietening down by then in mind NOT making Arcadia fit to sail on!

Not been a great year for the P&O brand name methinks,P&O Ferries name becomes mud now P&O Cruises playing catch up!😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just been looking again at Princess round Britain cruise in May... 

8 nights, less than £750pp Inc drinks, WiFi etc.. 

No brainer really. 

Andy 

We are on 12nt round Britain cruise on Emerald Princess on 2nd June and really looking forward to it even though we have already done it 5 times.

• Like 2