We booked Discovery Princess (tears)

atexsix

I just wanted to let my HAL family know we booked the Discovery Princess for a May sailing.  It's going to be so new and different and a little nerve-wracking, after almost 20 years exclusively HAL.  First of all, we'll be back.  Second, for those that sail both lines, I need some words of comfort that we'll be perfectly fine in Princess' hands for a week.  As an added incentive we booked an aft balcony, first time ever, so we're excited about that at least.  

• Like 7

You'll enjoy yourselves, Bruno.  We've had some very nice cruises with Princess.  They are pretty and pleasant ships and their excursions have been good. Just keep an open mind and enjoy the differences.  If you find you like buffet more than MDR, go for it.  Or vice versa.

Try the pizza.  Have fun!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I just wanted to let my HAL family know we booked the Discovery Princess for a May sailing.  It's going to be so new and different and a little nerve-wracking, after almost 20 years exclusively HAL.  First of all, we'll be back.  Second, for those that sail both lines, I need some words of comfort that we'll be perfectly fine in Princess' hands for a week.  As an added incentive we booked an aft balcony, first time ever, so we're excited about that at least.  

We have sailed with HAL and Princess over 20 times each and love them equally.

You should have no trouble making the transistion as both are no nonsense cruise lines with no rock climbing, roller coasters or water slides. Food is about the same but Princess has better Italian food and the wonderful Internationl Cafe which HAL is duplicating with the Grand Dutch Cafe. Food and service in the buffet is equal. Service is excellent on both lines. 

As far as the ships, both lines have classy ships with decors that don't offend the senses. The cabins are larger on HAL ships except for the Pinnacle class vessels. I think HAL has the edge on ship maintenance. The Atrium area on Princess ships are lot nicer than HAL and offer entertainment at various times of the day. As far as other entertainment, Princess has no Music Walk but makes better use of the main showroon with good production shows along with vocalists, comedians and magicians.

I think Princess does a better job with the different levels for past cruisers with better benefits based on your level. 

Have a great cruise and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as HAL.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve only been on Princess one time, but was very impressed with the meal that I got at Sabatini’s.  I am a real fan of good Italian Food and must say that the food at Sabatini’s was as good as any meal that I’ve ever gotten in Italy!  

You will find that Princess is very close to HAL regarding the other dining venues.  I personally found the vibe on Princess more energetic.  There was always something happening somewhere on the ship.

I’m sure you will enjoy yourself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Don’t feel bad, we all visit other families from time to time.😉

I can’t help you with Princess tips, but I sure envy you that aft balcony! Have a great cruise!

I know, I absolutely couldn't believe I got it, there were two left and one went right when I was booking it.  

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

You'll enjoy yourselves, Bruno.  We've had some very nice cruises with Princess.  They are pretty and pleasant ships and their excursions have been good. Just keep an open mind and enjoy the differences.  If you find you like buffet more than MDR, go for it.  Or vice versa.

Try the pizza.  Have fun!  

Thanks.  We're on the topmost deck for staterooms, the buffet will be super close by!

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We have sailed with HAL and Princess over 20 times each and love them equally.

You should have no trouble making the transistion as both are no nonsense cruise lines with no rock climbing, roller coasters or water slides. Food is about the same but Princess has better Italian food and the wonderful Internationl Cafe which HAL is duplicating with the Grand Dutch Cafe. Food and service in the buffet is equal. Service is excellent on both lines. 

As far as the ships, both lines have classy ships with decors that don't offend the senses. The cabins are larger on HAL ships except for the Pinnacle class vessels. I think HAL has the edge on ship maintenance. The Atrium area on Princess ships are lot nicer than HAL and offer entertainment at various times of the day. As far as other entertainment, Princess has no Music Walk but makes better use of the main showroon with good production shows along with vocalists, comedians and magicians.

I think Princess does a better job with the different levels for past cruisers with better benefits based on your level. 

Have a great cruise and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as HAL.

Thanks so much for the information, every bit of it helps.  I do love what I've seen about Princess ships in terms of the various clubs with lots of comfortable seating.  

13 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I’ve only been on Princess one time, but was very impressed with the meal that I got at Sabatini’s.  I am a real fan of good Italian Food and must say that the food at Sabatini’s was as good as any meal that I’ve ever gotten in Italy!  

You will find that Princess is very close to HAL regarding the other dining venues.  I personally found the vibe on Princess more energetic.  There was always something happening somewhere on the ship.

I think the change of scenery will be good for us.  Still a bit sad not being on our beloved HAL, but who knows, we might feel the same about Princess after this.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

We sailed on the Rotterdam last week and I would have to say that the vibe on her was as high as I've ever seen on an HAL ship, seemed like there was a younger crowd than we are use to seeing on HAL ships, more like a Princess crowd which is not a bad thing.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 4

I've cruised Princess and they have a fine product.  Hal is just better IMO.  One thing to be aware of.  Some of the Discovery sailings are leaving from a pier with no facilities.  You have to check in at one pier (maybe 90?) and get on a shuttle bus to the other pier.  That may just be some of the initial sailings.  That was enough of a turn off for me.  May be a non issue for others.  There is a live from thread on the Princess board right now about the first sailing and it also describes the pier transfer process.  Enjoy your cruise.  I'm sure it's a beautiful ship.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I've cruised Princess and they have a fine product.  Hal is just better IMO.  One thing to be aware of.  Some of the Discovery sailings are leaving from a pier with no facilities.  You have to check in at one pier (maybe 90?) and get on a shuttle bus to the other pier.  That may just be some of the initial sailings.  That was enough of a turn off for me.  May be a non issue for others.  There is a live from thread on the Princess board right now about the first sailing and it also describes the pier transfer process.  Enjoy your cruise.  I'm sure it's a beautiful ship.

Great, thanks for the info.  I was aware of the Pier situation, but I thought that was somewhere in Los Angeles or Long Beach.  Nothing seemed amiss on the Port of Seattle website, but I will check again to be sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, atexsix said:

Great, thanks for the info.  I was aware of the Pier situation, but I thought that was somewhere in Los Angeles or Long Beach.  Nothing seemed amiss on the Port of Seattle website, but I will check again to be sure. 

Yup, sorry about that.  I just corrected my info in the post above yours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@atexsixjust looked up your sailing and didn't realize it was from Seattle.  The movement from pier to pier is not an issue for you.  It was the piers in Los Angeles that is the issue.  Sorry for the non relevant info!

I was just responding that I thought it was down in the L.A. area with the pier situation.  So I'm editing this. 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yup, sorry about that.  I just corrected my info in the post above yours.

Nothing to be sorry about.  I've known you for awhile and completely trust your advice, mix-ups happen.

• Like 1

Bruno, I bet you and DD have a great time on Discovery Princess.  I've been on many Princess cruises before but not the newest few (Discovery, Sky, Enchanted, Magestic).  I just know I love International Cafe and the pizza restaurant.  Don't miss them!  The atrriums are stunning.  I can't wait to hear what you two think.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Bruno, I bet you and DD have a great time on Discovery Princess.  I've been on many Princess cruises before but not the newest few (Discovery, Sky, Enchanted, Magestic).  I just know I love International Cafe and the pizza restaurant.  Don't miss them!  The atrriums are stunning.  I can't wait to hear what you two think.  

Ditto, preferred having lunch at International Cafe than Lido. Unless Princess has changed Lido on this ship, layout of buffet makes it very crowded! Otherwise everything else was great.

Don’t worry, after sailing only HAL for +20 years I made the plunge to Princess and other lines have not been disappointed.

• Like 1

Bruno, After over 30 Hal cruises in a row we finally sailed on another cruise line. We did enough research through CC and watching You Tube tours of our ship and travel vlogs that we were as excited about sailing Azamara Quest as much as our first Hal cruise on the MS Volendam. We enjoyed the cruiseso much we have booked three more including a World Cruise.

Still enjoy our Hal cruises and currently on one. So for us it was refreshing to enjoy a new venue and line. Breaks up the routine.

Enjoy your Princess cruise.

• Like 3

Bruno, please don’t feel bad for trying a new cruise line.  We have 34  Princess cruises, and have not had a bad cruise on them.  Yes, HAL is our preferred cruise line if all things are equal, but Princess has some nice ships and some great itineraries.  DH likes to say the biggest difference between the two is about ten years, the difference in the average age of the passengers.

You'll enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you can deal with that annoying Medallion app, you'll be fine.  My last Princess cruise was on the Majestic right after cruising reopened, and there were so many glitches and mistakes, I decided it would be a long time before I do Princess again (and I'm Elite there.)  I don't care for these giant mega ships they keep building, either.  You will be happy to come back to HAL, but Alaska is so wonderful, it doesn't really matter what ship you are on.

• Like 1

Bruno - Glad to see you and DD are going to try Alaska again this year.    Hopefully things go more smoothly for the two of you.    I know that the cruise we shared last September with you was not much fun for you.    I can’t give any opinion on Princess as we’ve never cruised on that line.  I can say that my favorite room on the ship is an aft facing balcony.     If not for the extra cost which sometimes can be a lot - I would always choose one of them.  Stay healthy and travel safe.   Hope someday our paths put us again on the same ship.  
Maryell

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

So for us it was refreshing to enjoy a new venue and line. Breaks up the routine.

That was what I felt when I sailed on MSC Meraviglia as a Yacht Club guest.  I am so glad that I did!  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, atexsix said:

I need some words of comfort that we'll be perfectly fine in Princess' hands for a week

You will find your cruise to be a very good/excellent experience is my prediction.  The International Cafe, Sabatini's, Alfredo's, Crown Grill:  all excellent!  Music and entertainment that I enjoyed when I sailed on Royal Princess.  If the Royal Tea (an extra cost, quality Tea) is offered, I recommend it.  

4 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Unless Princess has changed Lido on this ship, layout of buffet makes it very crowded!

I concur based on my Royal Princess experience.  A confused mess of too many separate serving lines where I actually became confused where I was and had difficulty finding my table where I had placed a couple of items to "hold my place".  (This was during Breakfast and no--I had not drunk any Bloody Mary's or Mimosas!)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am actually the opposite of you. I have only cruised Princess and we are going on our first HAL cruise in May. We have been cruising Princess since 2007 when our kids were 8 and 9. They are now 22 and 23 and we still enjoy Princess. In fact, we are usually 3 generations that cruise together. Actually, this will be our first cruise with just my DH and I, so it will be interesting on a whole new level. I won't comment that you will like it compared to HAL since I have not sailed them yet, but I do think that you will like the Princess product.

• Like 3

@atexsix Bruno, I’ve sailed Princess a couple of times. They have a nice product (not sure about that Medallion, though). BUT I find that their cabins are smaller than HAL. My first balcony was on Princess and I was SHOCKED at how small the cabin was. No sofa and a small shower stall. I wouldn’t book anything less than a mini-suite. (My GF is on the Discovery this weekend.)

• Like 3

We’ve sailed and like both but prefer Holland,  you’ll make your own list of pros and cons.  We too love the aft balcony. If it is a deluxe balcony it will be a little larger than the usual balcony, Our favourite spot on a ship if it’s smooth sailing.  
enjoy!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

@atexsix Bruno, I’ve sailed Princess a couple of times. They have a nice product (not sure about that Medallion, though). BUT I find that their cabins are smaller than HAL. My first balcony was on Princess and I was SHOCKED at how small the cabin was. No sofa and a small shower stall. I wouldn’t book anything less than a mini-suite. (My GF is on the Discovery this weekend.)

I’d forgotten about those tiny showers.  They are terrible.

• Like 2