Jubilee will be be close to 184k tons

csoud68

Vs the mardi gras 180k tons but the max capacity is less..is it possible that carnival has had a chance to learn from the mardi gras and adjust accordingly?

I see the celebration is 800k lbs more than mardi gras and also has a tad less.

As a cruiser we cannot tell by looking the difference of only 4k tons but it can make a big difference in usable space. 

• Like 1

Considering the Jubilee and Celebration will have more passengers than the Mardi Gras, it would be a stretch to say they have thought about Mardi Gras' capacity very much. Especially consider how long they had to study the trends of Mardi Gras before these ships were even ordered.

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

I see the celebration is 800k lbs more than mardi gras and also has a tad less.

Please don't mention "pounds" when discussing Gross Tonnage.  Gross Tonnage has no "units" (pounds, tons) assigned to it, it is just a number.  It also has nothing to do with weight.  I would expect a ship with a Gross Tonnage of 180,000 to weigh somewhere around 85,000 metric tons.

• Like 1

2 less restaurants, 400 more people (guessing, about 100 more cabins)

I'd say they figure the current capacity can be expanded without any problems in bookings.

Maybe it's by design to keep the current "free" dining options in place, but get more via bookings. Or it's a double dip, more people, and more paid dining for improved margins

All I know about tonnage is how it relates to the Passenger Space Ratio - where, as I recall, the Spirit Class ruled (for Carnival):

• 41.7 – Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend, and Miracle)
  • 37.6 – Carnival Splendor
  • 36.9 – Conquest class ships (Conquest, Glory, Freedom, Valor, and Liberty)
  • 35.6 – Carnival Dream
  • 35.2 – Carnival Magic and Breeze
  • 34.3 – Fantasy class ships (Ecstasy, Sensation, Elation, and Paradise)
  • 34.3 – Carnival Sunshine
  • 34.1 – Mardi Gras, Carnival Radiance
  • 34 – Carnival Sunrise
  • 33.9 – Vista class ships (Horizon, Vista, and Panorama)

(Above info care of LINK)

Tom

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Please don't mention "pounds" when discussing Gross Tonnage.  Gross Tonnage has no "units" (pounds, tons) assigned to it, it is just a number.  It also has nothing to do with weight.  I would expect a ship with a Gross Tonnage of 180,000 to weigh somewhere around 85,000 metric tons.

Fine but u get the point of the question. i literally dont care about the conversions. 

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Considering the Jubilee and Celebration will have more passengers than the Mardi Gras, it would be a stretch to say they have thought about Mardi Gras' capacity very much. Especially consider how long they had to study the trends of Mardi Gras before these ships were even ordered.

Horizon and Panorama have more cabins than Vista. Not sure why the class leader always starts out smaller, but this isn't exactly new for Carnival.

2 hours ago, DarthGrady said:

I knew there was a reason I liked the Spirit so much. 😂

just wait till they "sunshine" the Spirit class ships and stuff in more cabins.  could easily see them getting rid of the comedy lounge under the theatre, since most other ships don't have dedicated comedy clubs.  or I could see them getting rid of the aft pool and putting rooms there.  3 pools is a luxury and one that doesn't generate revenue.

But yes this is the main reason we love the Spirit class.  Even pre-covid at full occupancy there were hardly ever any lines at bars.  Also having the serenity deck with a pool is awesome. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bstel said:

just wait till they "sunshine" the Spirit class ships and stuff in more cabins.  could easily see them getting rid of the comedy lounge under the theatre, since most other ships don't have dedicated comedy clubs.  or I could see them getting rid of the aft pool and putting rooms there.  3 pools is a luxury and one that doesn't generate revenue.

But yes this is the main reason we love the Spirit class.  Even pre-covid at full occupancy there were hardly ever any lines at bars.  Also having the serenity deck with a pool is awesome. 

Carnival could install "premium sky-view suites for diesel fume enthusiasts" on top of the funnels and it wouldn't surprise me at this point.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

All I know about tonnage is how it relates to the Passenger Space Ratio - where, as I recall, the Spirit Class ruled (for Carnival):

• 35.6 – Carnival Dream
  • 34 – Carnival Sunrise

Tom

Here's a great example of why I think ratios are extremely overrated. If you were to ask the average person, which had a better ratio: Fantasy or Mardi Gras, they would likely pick Fantasy. The wive's tale is older ships are more spacious and better ratio. This isn't the case here.

I like to use the example of the comedy club. As it is one of my favorite night time activities on cruising. Yet the experience of the Fantasy and Mardi Gras capacity is completely different. Why is that? It's because the comedy clubs are both nearly identical in size, but one ship has waaay more people. So the problem is not being proportionate. NOTHING to do with overall ratios.

The Mardi Gras has a lot of other stuff going on, which is a lot harder to balance the traffic. Take restaurants for example. If one ship has 10 food venues and the next has 30, with a similar ratio, what is the outcome?

I do believe the Mardi Gras has one huge advantage: balconies. Fantasy severely lacks balconies. Balconies are a great way to divert a lot of people back to their cabin, for at least longer periods of time.

So just give me more proportionate options. I think the comedy club issue is only ever fixed if moved to the main theater. Why couldn't from 5-12 each night, give or take an hour, it just be used for back to back shows, comedy, etc? Is there really this much going on that has to be there today? Especially with Mardi Gras, the smaller shows could be moved to the atrium. I haven't like reused venues in the past (ewww, Limelight), but that doesn't mean it can't be done. 

I have to say the Limelight reminds me of going to a comedy club in Los Angeles or NYC, being a more close-up, intimate venue than the main theatre.  Especially for a one-person show, that makes sense to me.  I wish there would have been more shows available on our last cruise on Sunshine.  Just a little more flexibility time-wise would have been great.

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

My guess would be larger dining rooms so they can charge for specialty restaurants.

As long as the Cucina del Capitano would be the same on the Celebration as it is on the Horizon, I would be happy to pay the 18.00.  I was disappointed in the menu on the MG

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

When the Mardi Gras started sailing, the Celebration was already under construction and the blueprints were already in place for the Jubilee.

2 hours ago, DarthGrady said:

Carnival could install "premium sky-view suites for diesel fume enthusiasts" on top of the funnels and it wouldn't surprise me at this point.  

And instead of a roller coaster they could install an elevated tram to get people to their cabin.

12 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

• 35.6 – Carnival Dream
  • 34 – Carnival Sunrise

Tom

and for the people who won't sail on the Oasis class ships because they've got to be so  crowded the space ration is 35

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

and for the people who won't sail on the Oasis class ships because they've got to be so  crowded the space ration is 35

According to cruisedeckplans, the Oasis class has a better space-to-passenger ratio than anything that Carnival has sailing, including the Spirit class.  Oasis class in 36, Spirit class gets 35.   And the Mardi Gras and Sunrise get a whopping 29.

Edited by jerseyjjs

This space to ratio nonsense means nothing to me. Many people got spoiled because of the low percentage capacity since the restart and now when many sailings, especially on the newer ships in the Carnival fleet are back to 100%, some people are not adjusting their expectations.  I have sailed on just about every size ship that Carnival has had, including a few under 30 K tons.  I prefer the newer ships in any fleet I sail, no matter the cruise line.  If the space to ratio is off, as long as I have enjoyed my cruise, the ratio number means nothing to me.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

This space to ratio nonsense means nothing to me. Many people got spoiled because of the low percentage capacity since the restart and now when many sailings, especially on the newer ships in the Carnival fleet are back to 100%, some people are not adjusting their expectations.  I have sailed on just about every size ship that Carnival has had, including a few under 30 K tons.  I prefer the newer ships in any fleet I sail, no matter the cruise line.  If the space to ratio is off, as long as I have enjoyed my cruise, the ratio number means nothing to me.

On the Reflection just 5 weeks ago (or so) it was an AMAZING 29% guest capacity. Our two more recent Liberty sailings were more like 100% - and what a difference. Though, even if both had been 100%, the Reflection rarely "feels" as crowded --- space ratio aside, perhaps it's just a function of efficient use of space/flow.

Tom