Rhine cruise - Uniworld or AmaWaterways?

ak1004

Hello all,

We are looking at the following cruises:

https://www.uniworld.com/ca/river-cruise/central-europe/rhine/remarkable-rhine-and-historic-holland/2022-amsterdam-to-basel/day-to-day

https://www.amawaterways.ca/destination/europe-river-cruises/2023/enchanting-rhine/itinerary

The first one is 10 nights from Basel to Amsterdam on Uniworld River Empress, overnight in Basel and Amsterdam.

The second one is on Amawaterways AmaSiena or AmaLucia, 7 nights from Basel to Amsterdam with 2 Nights Zurich, 2 Nights Lucerne Pre-Cruise (total 11 nights).

Ama is more expensive per night, which is surprising to me (I was under impression that Uniworld is considered slightly more luxury and more expensive typically).

One thing I noticed is that River Empress is a 20 years old ship, whole both Ama ships are brand new. Is it a minus or it doesn't really matter?

Any feedback about the companies, the ships, the itinerary etc. would be appreciated.

I did this cruise (in reverse, with the same land extension at the end) in 2008 on AmaCello (a smaller ship, 110m, which was 5 years old at the time).  It was our first river cruise, and it sold us on both river cruising and AMA.  We are boarding AmaSerena in a little over a week for our 4th AMA cruise (Tulip Time) and looking forward to the extra features of their new 135m ships.

I haven't seriously considered Uniworld because I find their decor off-putting.  The other cruise line that we are about to try (immediately following the AMA Tulip Time cruise) is Scenic – they have been difficult to research for the last month or so because of a website hack, but if you go to www.scenic.co.uk you will find all the information you could want.  [And then book the cruise with a TA who can handle the communication issues for you.]

Scenic offers 7-night itineraries like most other cruise lines, but also longer ones that add more depth.  We will be doing a Seine cruise of 10 nights which has a lot more excursions and even docks in Honfleur, which most river ships can't go to.  If you have lots of time, they have a really interesting 15 night itinerary from Basel to Amsterdam that includes both the Rhine and the Moselle ("Romantic Rhine & Moselle" https://www.scenic.co.uk/tours/romantic-rhine--moselle/11989).  Because of the website issues they seem to have lots of availability for this year.

• Thanks 1

I think for most people, if the first experience is an excellent one, there’s no inclination to change to a different cruise line. That was our experience with Uniworld ever since our first cruise on the Rhine with them. I am surprised that AMA is higher cost given that Uniworld tends to be more all inclusive and typically a bit higher standard from what I have heard. I can’t comment on the particular boat since we were on the Antoinnette on the Rhine but I can tell you that the beds on the Uniworld ships are the most comfortable I’ve ever slept on anywhere. 

• Like 6

We have taken two AMA cruises and two with Uniworld. While I agree Uniworld's decor is bit too much for my taste, we felt the service and the 'extras' offered by Uniworld made it the superior product. We also sailed with Scenic and if cost was not an issue, they would be my first choice. 

No matter which you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy a wonderful vacation.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At the present time, Rik is the cruise director on the Empress. I follow him on Instagram. Uniworld_Rik. He posts daily, some days several times. The photos of the ship don't look like she's showing her age in the least. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Empress, and the itinerary is not the standard Rhine cruise.

Robin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only sailed Uniworld so can't offer an opinion about AMA.  I agree with @acwmom that Uniworld definitely has the more interesting itinerary of the 2 options.  I find Uniworld's decor rich and opulent.

• Like 2

Both itineraries are great I find.

Plus point for AmaWaterways: Riquewihr and Lahnstein Castle

Plus for Uniworld: Oberwesel/Bacharach and Frankfurt

What I like about Uniworld is that they on this itinerary and another break the Rine Gorge up by staying either in Boppard or Oberwesel. Almost all other lines sail through, that is from Rüdesheim to Lahnstein or Koblenz.

Uniworld Empress will be well maintained for sure. Perhaps cabins may be smaller because of the age than on Amawaterways, that is something you may want to compare if cabin size matters to you. Generally, you will not be in your cabin much, i.e.  you may not want to make a choice purely on cabin space and layout.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 3

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Uniworld Empress will be well maintained for sure. Perhaps cabins may be smaller because of the age than on Amawaterways, that is something you may want to compare if cabin size matters to you. Generally, you will not be in your cabin much, i.e.  you may not want to make a choice purely on cabin space and layout.

One of the few things I think AMA did less than well is the 'dual balcony' design of their newer ships.  [I haven't sailed on these ships, but have seen the deck plans and cabin pictures.]  I think a French balcony is the ideal arrangement for a river ship, since there is really no time to be sitting out on a real balcony but this gives you a huge picture window and the ability to get fresh air when you want it.  The 'dual balcony' makes each part too small.  So on that I think other lines [e.g. Scenic where the top half of the picture window drops down for fresh air, rather than the usual sliding door] had a better idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One of the few things I think AMA did less than well is the 'dual balcony' design of their newer ships.  [I haven't sailed on these ships, but have seen the deck plans and cabin pictures.]  I think a French balcony is the ideal arrangement for a river ship, since there is really no time to be sitting out on a real balcony but this gives you a huge picture window and the ability to get fresh air when you want it.

I agree. I found the dual balcony awkward, a very small inside alcove, and a tiny balcony, neither very useful even for a single.

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

On AMA ships can you open the window on a French balcony?  Right now we have a duel setup, french balcony plus outside balcony with two chairs.  thanks for any feedback.

On their older ships, the French balcony slides open – my recollection is that it opens all the way.  On the dual-balcony ships, the French balcony also seems to open, but maybe not all the way [will find out next week when we board AmaSerena!].  Here's a picture from their website:

ship_23_twinbalconies_gallery.thumb.jpg.ac475e6cbd803bdf5bf3816e22924c34.jpg

Thank you everyone for responding.

The cabin size for us is not really important because we spend very little time in the cabin. The entry level categories are very similar sizes as far as I could see - 150 sqft on Uniworld and 160 on Ama, so not an issue. The decor is also not an issue for us.

The most important things for us are the service and the food, and of course the itinerary. What makes Uniworld itinerary more interesting (except for Frankfurt which is a definite plus)? For us 4 nights in Zurich and Lucerne with Ama are a big plus, and we actually like the combination of land and sea, while everything is still organized and taken care of for us.  

Now you're in AMA's wheelhouse:  the Berlitz guide says they spend more per passenger on food than any other river cruise line – and my experience says the proof is in the pudding!

Also:  we loved, loved, loved Lucerne!

I am not one that stuck with my first line.

I would go on the itinerary that interests you most.

I have not sailed Uniworld but I do have to say their decor drives me crazy from pictures. Though if it was the right itinerary, I would do it. I can look past that. I also don't think 20 years old is old for a ship. That would not deter me. Tauck interests me for a line.

51 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Now you're in AMA's wheelhouse:  the Berlitz guide says they spend more per passenger on food than any other river cruise line – and my experience says the proof is in the pudding!

Berlitz rates most AMA ships SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Uniworld. Most Ama ships are around 410-430 out of 500, which is actually the highest rating of all river ships, while Uniworld older ships are around 290 and newer ships around 370. This is a very significant and surprising difference. It seems like they do believe that age matters.

44 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am not one that stuck with my first line.

I would go on the itinerary that interests you most.

I have not sailed Uniworld but I do have to say their decor drives me crazy from pictures. Though if it was the right itinerary, I would do it. I can look past that. I also don't think 20 years old is old for a ship. That would not deter me. Tauck interests me for a line.

We sailed on Crystal Symphony which is around the same age (20 years old) and the ships was very well maintained, so personally I agree with you, this is not a major factor, although Berlitz seems to disagree.

And yes, I'm also not loyal to any specific line. We decide by itinerary, price, service and food.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed on Crystal Symphony which is around the same age (20 years old) and the ships was very well maintained, so personally I agree with you, this is not a major factor, although Berlitz seems to disagree.

And yes, I'm also not loyal to any specific line. We decide by itinerary, price, service and food.

I was on Crystal Serenity and those ships were so well maintained. I completely agree. I know people complained about size of cabins but I was fine with the size. I spend such little time in my cabin. I had hoped to be on Symphony this year.

Edited by Coral

9 hours ago, JoshuaP346 said:

We cruised the Rhine four years ago on Viking. The journey begins in Amsterdam and ends in Basel. With Holland, we have a four-star rating. It was our first time on a river cruise. Beautiful countryside with a plethora of castles. Excellent tours with lots of information and excellent service.

Thank you for the feedback.

I know that Viking has a good reputation and very loyal following, but my understanding is they are not as good as Ama or Uniworld. This is based on feedback from our TA and couple friends who sailed with them, and also online reviews.

That said, they are significantly cheaper (at least for this specific cruise), so might be worth considering.

• Like 2

I am going on my third Uniworld cruise next month.  I find their decor much to my taste.  From the pics of Viking and some others- they look like a dormitory room or a Holiday Inn of years past.

The service has been excellent, food and front desk exceptional.  On ocean cruises Crystal was my favorite and I find the food and atmosphere on Uniworld comparable to Crystal. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MsCrystalina said:

I am going on my third Uniworld cruise next month.  I find their decor much to my taste.  From the pics of Viking and some others- they look like a dormitory room or a Holiday Inn of years past.

The service has been excellent, food and front desk exceptional.  On ocean cruises Crystal was my favorite and I find the food and atmosphere on Uniworld comparable to Crystal. 

I’m going on my 9th Uniworld cruise in a few weeks and I agree with MsCrystalina! I enjoy the decor while in Europe but not what I have in my home.

Second seating

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

I’m going on my 9th Uniworld cruise in a few weeks and I agree with MsCrystalina! I enjoy the decor while in Europe but not what I have in my home.

Second seating

Same here. We have seen the decor of many other ships while on our cruises and they look too barren and ‘stripped down.’ I find Uniworld’s decor to be fun while on vacation.

• Like 3

Adding to the opinion of Uniworld’s decor - just off the SS Antionette. Wouldn’t decorate my home like that but it did not feel gaudy in person - just fancy and elaborate. I like the idea of each ship being different - it seems like both ships and hotels are becoming indistinguishable from each other these days (modern but sterile and dull).

The service was incredible and there was only 1 dinner we didn’t find fantastic. The first night the bar told us to stop coming there to get drinks to take elsewhere on the ship; to please call and they will bring to us wherever we are. As somewhat of a wine-induced series of events, we mentioned we really liked the succulents on the ship. The next day we had one in our room. We felt so spoiled. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We are also fans of Uniworld (took three trips and are booked for a 4th). While our tastes are more modern at home, vacationing on a Uniworld ship is like staying in a grand European hotel. We have only sailed on the "Super Ships," including the S.S. Antoinette on the Rhine, which was our first cruise.  However, we are open to other cruise lines depending on itinerary and price. I think you will be happy with either choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you again everyone for replying! Looks like we going to Uniworld.

I asked my TA about cancellation policy, and her response was:

"If you cancel 121 days prior to sailing you will lose either $200 USD  per person or $250 CAd per person and the rest of your cruise will put in a future cruise credit  to use within 5 years."

This doesn't sound right to me, I couldn't find this anywhere on Uniworld website. Can someone confirm if the rest of the payment is refunded or put in a future cruise credit?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Lucerne was incredible and we did it on our own after our Amsterdam to Basel cruise. It was easy to do on our own so you could always consider that. Plus Uniworld may be offering the Lucerne extension (we just weren’t looking to spend what they were charging for it). 

26 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

Lucerne was incredible and we did it on our own after our Amsterdam to Basel cruise. It was easy to do on our own so you could always consider that. Plus Uniworld may be offering the Lucerne extension (we just weren’t looking to spend what they were charging for it). 

It would be quite easy to do Lucerne on your own.  We did the AMA post-cruise extension because it was early in our European cruising history and we don't speak German, but based on that trip and what I have since read here it would have been easy to take a train from Basel to Lucerne and then from Lucerne to either Zurich or the Zurich airport.  But AMA made the transfer from Lucerne to Zurich more interesting by including a lake cruise and a stop in Brunnen, and the next day after a walking tour of Zurich taking us to the Rhine Falls and Stein-am-Rhein.  And on the final day they had local guides who stayed with us through the Zurich airport and made sure we got on the right lines.  So I can't say the extra expense was wasted.

• Like 1