TSA-PRECHECK:

scorpioncrawl

I don't know if it always depends on your background.  One of my kids' took a few weeks and the other got his in a few days.  Neither has any kind of background for them to check- one was 18 and the other was 16.  My husband and mine took a few weeks and we applied at the same time.  Neither of us have complicated pasts. Especially me! LOL

Anyway, I think it mostly has to do with how backlogged they are at the time.

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

For those that may be new to Cruise Critic would you please explain the process and value? Thank you.

There are five different trusted traveler programs available -

PreCheck is for air travel and allows you to go thru express screening without having to go barefoot or take out all of your electronics. $85 for five years and well spent if you fly a lot.

Global Entry is for clearing customs in the airport faster.  $100 and worth it if you travel internationally several times a year. Automatically gives you PreCheck.

Nexus and Sentri are for faster land crossing clearance, and offer PreCheck to US citizens/residents. Canadian and Mexican nationals can also apply if they do considerable travel across the border.  FAST is for truckers only.

Depending on which you apply for, you'll be asked for an address history, travel history, employment history, and some other personal details so you can go thru a background check.  You'll then be asked to schedule an in-person interview.  From there you are either approved or asked for more details.  Some people won't be approved.  Most are. 

The benefits in the airport can be huge if you travel every week as I used to.  Clearing security never takes more than 15 minutes.  Not having to remove shoes or laptops is priceless.  And we almost never get to do the naked scanner pose.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I applied for it a few years ago and though it took a few weeks. Can't remember.

Plenty of premium credit cards come with it. Even at $85 (for 4 years), it is worth every penny.

CLEAR, on the other hand, is a huge ripoff.

Global Entry includes all of the programs, and now it is tagged to your passport so you don't even need to carry the card. It is also a "Real ID" for domestic travel and entrance to federal buildings.

Nexus also includes Global Entry and TSA pre check.  The card is good for 5 years, and there is a huge backlog for approvals.  DH and I both applied for our renewal in October 2021.  I got my approval and new card 2 weeks later.  He’s still waiting and it could take up to 8 months.  His background is not complicated and hasn’t changed since he got his original Nexus card 4 years ago.  Seems like the renewal should be very simple but it’s caught up in the system.

3 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

There are five different trusted traveler programs available -

PreCheck is for air travel and allows you to go thru express screening without having to go barefoot or take out all of your electronics. $85 for five years and well spent if you fly a lot.

Global Entry is for clearing customs in the airport faster.  $100 and worth it if you travel internationally several times a year. Automatically gives you PreCheck.

Nexus and Sentri are for faster land crossing clearance, and offer PreCheck to US citizens/residents. Canadian and Mexican nationals can also apply if they do considerable travel across the border.  FAST is for truckers only.

Depending on which you apply for, you'll be asked for an address history, travel history, employment history, and some other personal details so you can go thru a background check.  You'll then be asked to schedule an in-person interview.  From there you are either approved or asked for more details.  Some people won't be approved.  Most are. 

The benefits in the airport can be huge if you travel every week as I used to.  Clearing security never takes more than 15 minutes.  Not having to remove shoes or laptops is priceless.  And we almost never get to do the naked scanner pose.

If you have a United airlines credit card they credit you back the fee

We applied for TSA Pre-Check.  It was only a few days after we interviewed before we received the TSA Known Traveler ID.  Best money spent.  So much less of a headache.  It really is great at airports with special lines for TSA-Pre.  

TSA Pre-Check:  kids 12 and under don't need it (they can stand in pre-check line with parent), those over have to pay the same price as adults to get it.  I got it for both of my teens last year and they were approved in about a day.  Definitely worth it, even for just flying a couple of times a year.

15 hours ago, Moviela said:

Global Entry includes all of the programs, and now it is tagged to your passport so you don't even need to carry the card. It is also a "Real ID" for domestic travel and entrance to federal buildings.

Usually. But in the past, particularly at some cruise port situation, the actual card was the way to speed your way through Immigration without showing your passport. There is no physical way to show you have GE without the card or scanning your passport. So if you need to quickly prove you have GE, such as to get access to a GE only line, the card is the way to go. The card has also allowed access to faster security lines for "Known Travelers" at some international airports.

Mine took exactly 2 weeks as I didn't provide my SS# to the agency who did the "interview' (which was 'is this your name and address?  Yes, ok great, let's do your fingerprints and photo).

My renewal, done on line took all of 20 minutes for the email to come.  Precheck has no card, you'll get an email with your KTN.  I also have CLEAR and the 2 of them together are, IMO priceless and worth every penny.  Opted to not get GE as getting an interview seems to be a hot mess and tbh, by the time you get your luggage, any savings of time getting through customs and immigration may be negated.  (Again, that's MY experience only, YMMV)

GE is a lifesaver.

Huge lines at SFO - straight to a GE kiosk instead.  Same experiences at DFW, ATL and elsewhere.  And if you go through JFK when a bunch of aircraft have just arrived, you will say the "hassle" of the interview was well worth it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

GE is a lifesaver.

Huge lines at SFO - straight to a GE kiosk instead.  Same experiences at DFW, ATL and elsewhere.  And if you go through JFK when a bunch of aircraft have just arrived, you will say the "hassle" of the interview was well worth it.

My experience as well. Absolutely worth the time and money if you travel more than once or twice a year.