Covid Fiasco

Tedferg

Truth is, everyone is a "hot mess" right now about this subject.  It all hits home to each of us in one way or another and interrupts our vacation, which is supposed to be a relaxing time...and not one to have such worries.  Whenever under duress, things are intensified even more so.  Being separated is terrible.  

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It's too bad there is no way to contact the Captain now.

EXACTLY RIGHT! Because the Captain has absolutely NOTHING ELSE to do... but personally attend to every single guest on the ship!😕

Edited by teecee60
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

EXACTLY RIGHT! Because the Captain has absolutely NOTHING ELSE to do... but personally attend to every single guest on the ship!😕

Okay, I should have wrote the Hotel GM instead of Captain (didn't stop to think).  If staff are not acting appropriately, the customer/guest needs to let senior mgmt know so either a misunderstanding is cleared up or they can take corrective action.

1 hour ago, Wavesprite said:

14 day quarantines?  What country do you live in? 

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

Ontario,Canada by their signature 

1 hour ago, dog said:

Not here. People I know did 5 day quarantine, tested negative & back to work on Day 6 in Ontario 

1 hour ago, dog said:

Maybe customs told them it was required if they returned in a flight out of country. Those returning by car at border, no longer need to be tested to return from international travel.

Who can blame our fellow CC posters for inconsistencies on the threads when the governing bodies are terribly inconsistent in their guidelines and rules. 

Case in point from the above.  If you are Covid-positive in Ontario, and vaccinated, you only need to isolate for 5 days and it test okay, then NP.  However, the Feds are doggedly sticking to 14 days even though most (all?) other major jurisdictions have reduced the old standard.  Our Feds only recently stopped entry testing - and that was from USA.  It's likely the posted references to different times are due to arriving back in Canada versus having something happen locally.  I guess Covid caught outside Canada is a lot worse than what we might catch locally. 🤪

OP here, I will make a general response to above posts. Thanks for the good wishes and so far, we are all well. I will check with my daughter to see if Princess asked about other travelling companions, I don't' think so. Good chance our bookings were linked, but even then would you not expect Princess to contact us. At least to say, 'Here is how disembarkation will be handled'.

Taxi to car hire was large SUV, daughter in back seat K95 mask driver also masked and screened, daughter told him about the situation. Car Rental was outdoors, Agent well screened from general public.

I just thought Princess would be more responsive to an onboard Covid situation. There was not a single contact from Princess to us. It happened mid day, last day and so we handled it ourselves. It is only after the fact that we reflect on Princess poor performance.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

So what is the learning experience for all of us?  Come prepared to keep in communications with each other if you have a traveling member who test positive.  Come prepared to ask questions and be proactive on your own behalf.  

The member in the quarantine cabin can still make phone calls to others on board on cabin phone or cell I would assume.  Keep communications going with those in your traveling party. Use others in your party to get clear information and support necessary arrangements.   

This is what I take away from this story.  Could Princess do more, maybe, I am too independent to simply rely on Princess.  Think about "what if" before you board and have a plan you have discussed among those in your travel party ahead of time.  Nothing goes as planned but having some sort of plan may be useful.  

Exactly. We are traveling with others in the summer and we will look out for each other if someone goes to quarantine. There is CS on board and it will be used if needed. 

I would like to follow up with Princess and assume the standard, 'How was your trip' emails are not followed up, who should I address my complaint to?

BTW other than that it was a good trip and we saw that Princess is doing their best to resume cruising in these trying times. We will sail again with Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I would like to follow up with Princess and assume the standard, 'How was your trip' emails are not followed up, who should I address my complaint to?

BTW other than that it was a good trip and we saw that Princess is doing their best to resume cruising in these trying times. We will sail again with Princess.

I would go one level above Princess as "he who should not be mentioned due to their Medallion fiasco" is in charge of Princess now and go to the person in charge of Holland America Group of which Princess is part of. That would be Jan Swartz, Group President at Holland America.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dog said:

Not here. People I know did 5 day quarantine, tested negative & back to work on Day 6 in Ontario 

It’s 14 days  if you fly into Canada then text positive - federal government rules over province rules.  I was positive 2 days later  and had to isolate for 10 days and my mom who travelled with me was 14 days !  Hoping that changes soon!! 

The school board did not want the kids back for 14 days and it's the federal rules after crossing the boarder. Because the kids don't have the booster vaccines they were put in quarantine on the ship but in their cabin.  My daughter was 

free to roam as she had the booster. I'm just saying they seem to treat each case differently but it's a learning curve for all. 

I think everyone in your group should have the conversation "what if" and have a plan worked out.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

It’s 14 days  if you fly into Canada then text positive - federal government rules over province rules.  I was positive 2 days later  and had to isolate for 10 days and my mom who travelled with me was 14 days !  Hoping that changes soon!! 

So what if I am vaccinated and boosted and asymptomatic and  test positive upon disembarking the ship in Vancouver.  How many days are required for quarantine....5, 10, 14. other??

Edited by Buckeye10640

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

so granddaughter could go with the infected mom - EXCELLENT !!  that way the Grandparents would not have been exposed to a negative tested ... ... ... 

delete if violating covid discussion policy. PLEASE

Finally I caught a snitch.....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Did PSD know they were a traveling family group because reservations were linked? 

Reservations are linked for reasons other than being a family group. It could just be unrelated friends for example.

There is no special category of linking that says the linking is for family members.

However each reservation has the ages of the people and thus Princess should have been very aware that there was a child in that cabin.

• Like 1

No matter what the intent was of those in the home office who set up the Princess Covid policy with a number of promises of how anyone infected would be treated, the multiple threads of problems such as the one in this thread shows that the policy is not being followed on multiple ships.

I remember only one person who posted that they were satisfied with the attention given after being isolated after a positive test.

Top Princess management needs to be informed of how poorly their customers who test positive during a cruise are treated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I would think if a parent was travelling on their own with a child the first thing they would say is ‘ what about my child’ if the parent didn’t say that then they would assume there would be alternative arrangements. I read a post on the other not named social media site where someone on a Princess ship had a choice whether to isolate with the positive person or not and they chose to isolate with them.

Did you have a linked booking, if so they would know there was other appropriate adults there. Did you have adjoining cabins? Did you ask for the balcony screen door to be opened? If you didn’t have adjoining cabins with a joining door the child shouldn’t have been left alone in the cabin, they should have made up a bed in your cabin. 

• Like 4

@Tedferg:  Thank you for sharing your story.  I hope things get better for all of you in the days to come.

I have a few questions, but I'll keep them to myself, because 1) the answers don't matter and 2) they would raise the temperature of the thread.

Lessons learned:

• Each cruising party should have a COVID-19 plan for when any combination of individuals tests positive (for real)
  • A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Wow! I wish I were sailing later in the year to see how this plays out, instead of being on one of the earlier sailings disembarking in Vancouver.  14 days is crazy long for someone fully vaccinated and fully boosted and asymptomatic and who wants to leave the country!  In the US 5 days would be recommended for quarantine. I am gathering you and some  others who have replied are from Canada and understand the Canadian  rules. Can they prevent my family from renting a car to drive across the border if someone tests positive. Is this 'illegal'?

They cannot stop you from leaving the country and it is not illegal to rent a car and drive across the border.  One thing though:  Some car rental companies do not allow for cross-border rentals so check for that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mellon1 said:

I agree with you 100%.  Some may not like or agree with all posts, but we need to hear them.  It may be us and at least we have an idea of what may happen and can nip it early if possible.  

Appreciate the honestly of the poster.

And Princess and all other cruise lines have to learn that the fear of quarantine and how they will be treated is one of the biggest reasons for potential passengers not too book. They have to make it clear how you will be treated, and with compassion.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

They cannot stop you from leaving the country and it is not illegal to rent a car and drive across the border.  One thing though:  Some car rental companies do not allow for cross-border rentals so check for that.

It may be possible to violate a quarantine order, and sneak out of the country. What would be the consequences of returning to Canada? 

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay, I should have wrote the Hotel GM instead of Captain (didn't stop to think).  If staff are not acting appropriately, the customer/guest needs to let senior mgmt know so either a misunderstanding is cleared up or they can take corrective action.

I think they know

Then are caught in the bureaucracy  of DENY EVERYTHING and WE ARE OVERWHELMED

• Like 1

10 hours ago, antsp said:

Why would anyone tell Customer service on the last day of the cruise they feel unwell. Madness

Why? Because that's what decnt human beings do. They inform those who could contact others who may have been exposed. 

It sounds like Princess doesn't give a fig, but the unwell person could still try, if decent. Those who do not care about their fellow humans would just walk off. Of course, people like that are a major reason we are still in a global pandemic. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

It may be possible to violate a quarantine order, and sneak out of the country. What would be the consequences of returning to Canada? 

If an American decides to go home, it is not sneaking.  There should be no consequences if they return after the quarantine period has elapsed.  I know of no consequences in such a situation.  If vaccinated, they don't require a test to return.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Why? Because that's what decnt human beings do. They inform those who could contact others who may have been exposed. 

It sounds like Princess doesn't give a fig, but the unwell person could still try, if decent. Those who do not care about their fellow humans would just walk off. Of course, people like that are a major reason we are still in a global pandemic. 

Exactly - my daughter works in quality control in the drug industry and is fastidious about following protocols.

You have to wonder a) how many passengers carry self-test and b) how many would assume it was just a cold.

• Like 3