Larger ships into Sydney

11 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Ovation 🤔 they are thinking Oasis class. ,Picton New Zealand has a population of 4,700 and love the cruise ships . The Vanuatu government can figure it out . Brisbane has built a new cruise 🛳 terminal. 🙂

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/lelepa-cruises#7

I think saying that Picton loves to cruise ships may be a slight exaggeration

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300552540/picton-puts-trust-in-port-amid-fears-cruise-ships-will-want-to-bounce-back-with-a-bang

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

We visited Eden by road a few weeks ago, after visiting with you Les, & saw the new terminal in your photo.

We were disappointed to see they had demolished the existing building located closer to the road, which housed restaurants & cafes as we had morning tea and lunch there on a prior visit in 2019. Maybe it's going to be redeveloped, or they needed the space for transport etc on future cruise visits?

I suggest that the town will be over-run when a big ship is there. That said it would be a nice place to visit on a port stop, if they can handle the masses. 

I was there 2 weeks ago Neil, the site is being redeveloped, shops, eateries etc. But they are slow doing it.  The old structures were deemed unsafe and pulled down.

• Like 2

The most recent upgrade of Eden was completed in 2019. I was on Maasdam when it tied up there in Feb 2020. It was designed to take ships up to 325m. Ovation is a tad over at 348m.

It is a fairly steep walk up the hill but IRC they had shuttle busses for less able bodied.

Port of Eden gets major upgrade - Infrastructure Magazine

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I'd like to know where that figure came from.  No source is given.  I like cruising as much as the next person but I think some of these figures are a bit dubious.

From you link 🤷‍♂️

Getting back to Eden as a port stop..the big Fishermans Licensed Club on top of hill shut down a year ago. The site is being redeveloped as luxury apartments - no club. I hear the club was a popular venue for cruisers, fish and chips at the bistro, a few schooners of VB and an investment in the pokies, alas no more. There is a country golf club a couple of kms north of the town, I suppose they could send their 9 seater courtesy bus to the dock to pick up the 6000 pax, lol.

Apart from that there is a Coles supermarket, IGA supermarket, a pub and the Whale museum. But it is a nice little town, only a pleasant 3 hr drive for me, I go down their every month or two for a few days, Merimbula/Pambula/Eden - The Sapphire Coast.

Let us hope they do get a few ships in, albeit not the 6000 pax monsters of Royal Caribbean International.  The town needs an injection of funds.

Edited by NSWP

32 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Getting back to Eden as a port stop..the big Fishermans Licensed Club on top of hill shut down a year ago. The site is being redeveloped as luxury apartments - no club. I hear the club was a popular venue for cruisers, fish and chips at the bistro, a few schooners of VB and an investment in the pokies, alas no more. There is a country golf club a couple of kms north of the town, I suppose they could send their 9 seater courtesy bus to the dock to pick up the 6000 pax, lol.

Apart from that there is a Coles supermarket, IGA supermarket, a pub and the Whale museum. But it is a nice little town, only a pleasant 3 hr drive for me, I go down their every month or two for a few days, Merimbula/Pambula/Eden - The Sapphire Coast.

Let us hope they do get a few ships in, albeit not the 6000 pax monsters of Royal Caribbean International.  The town needs an injection of funds.

Other possibilities - fishing & golf will attract a few. One of the first lines that planned Eden as a stop over a decade ago, probably as they couldn't get a berth in Sydney the day they wanted, pitched it as a stop for Canberra. It was even so blatant that Canberra was listed as the stop on their itinerary. A really long day, but maybe that is what the opening-up of the wharf hours is meant to assist.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Other possibilities - fishing & golf will attract a few. One of the first lines that planned Eden as a stop over a decade ago, probably as they couldn't get a berth in Sydney the day they wanted, pitched it as a stop for Canberra. It was even so blatant that Canberra was listed as the stop on their itinerary. A really long day, but maybe that is what the opening-up of the wharf hours is meant to assist.

The lighthouses and national parks are very nice to see and walk around down there as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The lighthouses and national parks are very nice to see and walk around down there as well.

And a visit to see Old Tom. Can spend a couple of hours there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The pub has excellent meals. When I was there a few weeks back they had no trouble serving lunch to an influx of about 30 motorcyclists in short order.  

• Like 1

I am not so sure too many people are looking for lunch, although most will be looking at a drink and a snack while they look around. That is why I thought a markets type thing set up for ship visits, much like at Pahia / Bay of Islands.

The ones going on full day tours would need a lunch stop though.

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not so sure too many people are looking for lunch, although most will be looking at a drink and a snack while they look around. That is why I thought a markets type thing set up for ship visits, much like at Pahia / Bay of Islands.

Yes. There was something similar when we stopped in at Gladstone off Noordam 2019. A welcoming pipe band and the walk from the wharf was a pop-up market with mobile food, souvenir, craft stalls etc.. Many ended up at the yacht club enjoying the views and atmosphere. Nice cafes in town were open even though it was a Sunday.

If it wasn't for the ship being in town the place would have been dead as there didn't seem to be many locals around.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

About 3 years ago when a Cunarder, QV or QE was at Eden there was a small market set up on the dock selling local things. I am sure it is a regular think, bit of a market for the ships.

Couple of bakeries in town so always a dogs eye available.

599219743_th(1).jpg.5b163f01280233be7a0a67bc06ef0fe9.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I can't see Oasis class ships coming to Australia and NZ anytime soon.

The important part that nobody seems to have mentioned is that Oasis class ships simply don't tender.

Add this point to the number of Australian and NZ ports that Oasis class can dock at (i.e not many) and it simply isn't worth bringing one of these ships down here.

RC isn't going to bring an Oasis here to sail from Brisbane to Eden and back...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Personally, I can't see Oasis class ships coming to Australia and NZ anytime soon.

The important part that nobody seems to have mentioned is that Oasis class ships simply don't tender.

Add this point to the number of Australian and NZ ports that Oasis class can dock at (i.e not many) and it simply isn't worth bringing one of these ships down here.

RC isn't going to bring an Oasis here to sail from Brisbane to Eden and back...

No but it might do Brisbane to Lalepa Island, Vanuatu, Noumea and back

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

No but it might do Brisbane to Lalepa Island, Vanuatu, Noumea and back

That's possible, but I'm not sure about Noumea... I wouldn't think it's deep enough for Oasis class?

Still, would it be profitable to bring a ship here to do the same run over and over, compared to leaving that ship in the Caribbean or similar where there is a much bigger market?

The Quantum class seems to be a much better fit for our market... big, but still able to access a lot of ports.

9 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

That's possible, but I'm not sure about Noumea... I wouldn't think it's deep enough for Oasis class?

Still, would it be profitable to bring a ship here to do the same run over and over, compared to leaving that ship in the Caribbean or similar where there is a much bigger market?

The Quantum class seems to be a much better fit for our market... big, but still able to access a lot of ports.

In Noumea, the smaller cruise ships can usually dock at the cruise terminal. Larger ships dock at the container dock.

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

In Noumea, the smaller cruise ships can usually dock at the cruise terminal. Larger ships dock at the container dock.

Ok... I've not been there so wasn't aware of that option.

Noumea should be able to take a oasis class,it’s one of the biggest natural harbours in the pacific and was a major port for the Americans in WW2.

Other ports that should take a oasis class are Hobart,Tauranga,Picton Brisbane and Sydney. Then there’s the company island  of Lelepa which you think it will be capable of the big ships.

Some say Dunedin and Christchurch but I don’t think a oasis would be suitable for NZ South Island as it’s a warm weather ship.

Edited by Chiliburn

18 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Ok... I've not been there so wasn't aware of that option.

All bar one of our cruises to Noumea have docked at the container port. You are shuttled out of the port area to the other cruise terminal if you are doing your own tour or just walking around Noumea. All ship excursions are picked up beside the ship. It works quite well. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

I am not sure about the profitability of such a move, but it is possible, Aussies are the biggest (per capita) market in the world and I expect it will continue to grow. Royal obviously  think the market is large enough as per their investing in the Brisbane terminal, Lelepa Island and possibly the 3rd Sydney terminal at Port Botany.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure about the profitability of such a move, but it is possible, Aussies are the biggest (per capita) market in the world and I expect it will continue to grow. Royal obviously  think the market is large enough as per their investing in the Brisbane terminal, Lelepa Island and possibly the 3rd Sydney terminal at Port Botany.

I think if the third Sydney terminal happens, and they can get to some NZ ports, then it could be a go.

It would just come down to profitability (as does everything)... will they make more money in OZ/NZ or in a different market?

I'm not sure if I would want to sail on Oasis class with so many people, but on the other hand, I would love to just experience the size...

• Like 1