Unconscionable Rotterdam TA boarding line

boze9999

5 hours ago, Laminator said:

I read on the roll call board for this cruise HAL is requiring everyone to take a covid test. I read that HAL sent out an email that this poster posted on the roll call Friday stating that all pax must have a negative covid test 24 hours prior to departure for this TA cruise. I am sure that is causing the vast majority of this issue. 

I’m on the Celebrity Edge Transatlantic leaving next Friday. Celebrity’s policy was a negative test no more than 2-days prior to departure. Then, TWO WEEKS ago, it was changed to only 1-day prior, thanks to Spain requiring that protocol. I expect a number of people will show up with with “expired” 2-day old tests next Friday as well. 

Could this be what’s happening today with R-dam? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Amazing that the NS left on time!

OMG, did it?  I was just checking in for that exact reason.  It's amazing to us I think, but cruise lines have umpteen turn around days under their belts, they always seem to make it work.  I was once on a ship with a mechanical issue that arrived at the pier at noon, somehow everybody disembarked and embarked and still left on time at 5.  The only thing left behind were the big blocks of ice for the sculptures, back in the day when they still did those.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned in your other thread, while it sounds appealing, there are significant limitations to the machines...number of tests per day, per machine, for example, is pretty small. It doesn't sound like, without a cruise line putting a couple dozen machines on a ship, to be very appropriate application.

Not meant to be a one size fits all option,  but seems like a good option for those in need of unplanned test, as well as crew use or other smaller venues.  A 3 minute breath analyzer - a few of them in operation when all the sudden one needs a 24 hour window test?

What else can offer this degree of almost instant testing flexibility?

6 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I could find nothing about an EU policy change, do you have a link?

A pax on the ship reported a staff member informed them of the change in policy. I am speculating that there was confusion over which requirements to follow as the cruise was starting in the US but ending in Europe. It appears the European requirements won out in the end. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

N Statendam sailed away at 5 with the Rotterdam tailing behind. All is good but the ship is eerily quiet.   Only a few were grumbling.  As to the heat we were under covered structures the entire time, I saw no one stranded without shade.  I didn’t find it hot but I have had a lot of practice in the heat.  Rumor has it no one tested positive.  Wish you were here😊

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BEAV said:

I’m on the Celebrity Edge Transatlantic leaving next Friday. Celebrity’s policy was a negative test no more than 2-days prior to departure. Then, TWO WEEKS ago, it was changed to only 1-day prior, thanks to Spain requiring that protocol. I expect a number of people will show up with with “expired” 2-day old tests next Friday as well. 

Could this be what’s happening today with R-dam? 

Fascinating. I'm on RCI Jewel TA from Miami to Amsterdam on Apr 29. Until two weeks ago our requirement was neg COVID test ONE day before boarding, but then it was changed to TWO days before. And folks have been attributing that easing of the testing time to Spain changing their rules.

9 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

Cruising is an adventure. (Sometimes even before you get on the ship.) 😀

Sometimes "Adventure of the Seas" becomes "Adventure to the Seas"

(wrong cruise line I know 😆)

39 minutes ago, arenson9 said:

Fascinating. I'm on RCI Jewel TA from Miami to Amsterdam on Apr 29. Until two weeks ago our requirement was neg COVID test ONE day before boarding, but then it was changed to TWO days before. And folks have been attributing that easing of the testing time to Spain changing their rules.

Fascinating indeed! 

Someone on the Celebrity board found this recently-updated link from Spain. Since it was issued, Celebrity changed out testing protocol from 2 days to 1 day prior to FLL embarkation. See page 7 of the link below:

https://docreader.readspeaker.com/docreader/?cid=cesks&lang=es_es&url=https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/sanidadExterior/docs/Health_Measures_for_the_restoration_of_Cruise_Ship_Activities_in_Spain.pdf

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am at the port.   The CDC ordered testing for everyone on the Rotterdam and the Statendam at 8 am today.  It is actually moving fairly well.  I don’t have a clue why they made this decision 

Its a total mystery!

4 hours ago, BEAV said:

Fascinating indeed! 

Someone on the Celebrity board found this recently-updated link from Spain. Since it was issued, Celebrity changed out testing protocol from 2 days to 1 day prior to FLL embarkation. See page 7 of the link below:

https://docreader.readspeaker.com/docreader/?cid=cesks&lang=es_es&url=https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/sanidadExterior/docs/Health_Measures_for_the_restoration_of_Cruise_Ship_Activities_in_Spain.pdf

Not so recent in fact - it was updated over 5 weeks ago on 7 March.

• Like 1

As these requirements were updated on March 3rd, and clearly state "at least 24 hours" one must wonder if HAL dropped the ball. Though AFAIK neither ship is calling to Spain on these cruises.  Azores are Portuguese and these are Spanish requirements not EU requirements. 

(actually, I ponder on the wording.  Should it read "at most 24 hours prior to boarding"??   After all, 48 hours or 72 hours prior to boarding is "at least 24 hours" prior).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

As these requirements were updated on March 3rd, and clearly state "at least 24 hours" one must wonder if HAL dropped the ball. Though AFAIK neither ship is calling to Spain on these cruises.  Azores are Portuguese and these are Spanish requirements not EU requirements. 

(actually, I ponder on the wording.  Should it read "at most 24 hours prior to boarding"??   After all, 48 hours or 72 hours prior to boarding is "at least 24 hours" prior).

I was wondering about this.  Even though we are going to Spain we enter the EU via Portugal. The timing of this test makes the whole requirement ridiculous as we won’t be in Spain until 9 days from test .  The workings of government are a mysterious thing, they are “special”

• Like 1

It was not the CDC that ordered the tests. I work at the port and the crew in the terminal were informed of the changes at 6:45. Management knew before that. Look at the picture in the first post and you will see people standing in the sun without shade. Princess had a ship that left Saturday for Europe and day of embark test weren't required.

• Thanks 1

Unconscionable? It’s almost like there’s a worldwide rapidly changing pandemic still going on requiring the utmost of flexibility and patience if one chooses to travel!

Who could have ever guessed there might be lines and testing requirement changes unexpectedly?!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

To me, looks like HAL was spooked by the number of cases on longer journeys. Princess ships have had big outbreaks. Apparently, one FB thread had hundreds of people reporting their cases for a single cruise. Someone estimated an astonishing % of the pax infected.

Naturally, this would be discovered once a ship tests its pax pre-debarkation. European governments are more likely to reveal the numbers; unlike the CDC. Massively bad PR. ☹️

I applaud HAL's decision to act proactively, in order to reduce the infections coming aboard. 😷

What I can't understand is the lack of thought to the discomfort and danger to the pax waiting in line to embark. The obvious thing to do is to set up a tent city with chairs. Pax are seated until they are called up by the dozen to report to ship processing. 🙄

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That was discussed on our roll call as well. But in our case, it appears that Celebrity chose to interpret as not more than 24 hours prior. 

Poof! There is a tent city.

Probably too many not following their assigned boarding time, changes in protocol, and then a snowball effect.

Both ships today (Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam) appear to be tracking to the north due to weather. DW just got off the Nieuw Statendam yesterday and was told by a crew member that 1,000 passenger for the Transatlantic and Rotterdam was going to be 1,600 passengers. Feel free to correct my info.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Its a total mystery!

This ^. 

Right now things remain extremely fluid. If you are going to cruise, it's probably best to be prepared for lots of last minute changes (including testing and masking requirements).

One of the things that draw me to cruising is it's ease of travel. Embark, unpack, and let the ship do all the major work. Currently it appears land vacations are much less dynamic. 

• Like 3

We were in the long line, but always in the shade.  They took groups of people in for testing and those still in line remained in the shade.  The picture shown must have been before security arrived to add order.  We were told by a security fellow that Customs, who also uses the the testing building, would not allow testing staff to set up until noon, at which time the lines moved quite fast.  Once tested, the groups were seated in the building then released after 15 minutes when test results were known.  Once the line started to move, the process was completed in short order.  Small price to pay to cruise again.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 4/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, VMax1700 said:

Incorrect.  The EU has not changed requirements.

Think about it.  What relevance does testing today have when the pax will not enter the EU for another 10 days?

Because one case could spread today, then 2 days later spread anew, and then a few days later again. Lots of people could have it by the time the ship gets to the EU.

Why is it in this day of easy communication that there are so many entities in our society that operate in "silos"?  

3 hours ago, kapitch said:

We were told by a security fellow that Customs, who also uses the the testing building, would not allow testing staff to set up until noon,

7 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

What I can't understand is the lack of thought to the discomfort and danger to the pax waiting in line to embark. 

10 hours ago, tcasey59 said:

It was not the CDC that ordered the tests. I work at the port and the crew in the terminal were informed of the changes at 6:45. Management knew before that.

There is no excuse for whomever the Person in Charge of Embarkation was to not get on his/her cell phone, computer, whatever and make the needed contacts to prevent this situation.  I suspect that "person" is not a HAL paid employee.  I suspect that person is paid by the Port Agency hired by HAL.  Where does the responsibility lie for this situation?    

• Like 1